5.at the sight of
2. sprang up/rang out
4. came to
5. track down
10. emerge / spring up
11. at the sight of
12. made for
1. Jimmy has outgrown the shirts his aunt made for him a few years ago.
2. Does the doctor think the elderly lady is likely to survive the operation / it is likely that the elderly lady will survive the operation?
3. The other day your cousin paid us an unexpected visit.
4. Don't you see the nurse motioning us to be silent?
5. Her face lit up with joy at his return.
6. The sound of her footsteps grew fainter as she walked farther away.
1.The people questioned gave very different opinions on the issue.
2. Can you see the man climbing on that rock?
3. Several days passed before they came up with a satisfactory solution to the problems discussed.
4. We were woken early by the sound of the birds singing.
5. The chairman made it clear that those objecting should explain their reasons.
6. After a day’s work, I felt I had little energy left.
7. I knew of some of the athletes taking part.
8. The success obtained surprised those who had given up the project as impossible.七）
1. During the time that
2. As long as
4. as long as
1. They frightened the child into telling the truth.
2. He tricked her into marrying him by pretending that he was the son of a millionaire.
3. My tactless words forced the old gentleman into buying something he could not possibly afford.
4. He finally talked me into accepting his terms.
5. The girl persuaded her father into giving up smoking.
6. Their severe criticism shocked her into realizing her selfishness.
1. Guests are to be back in the hotel by twelve o’clock.
2. An investigation is to be made next week.
3. I am to meet them at the airport.
4. You are to finish your homework before you watch TV.
5. The medicine is to be taken three times a day after meals.
6. Bob and Susan are to get married in October
1.do the cooking
3.hardly thought so
7.why things were so quiet
Their argument ended when she slammed the door and left without a word.
The guests at the dinner party were slightly surprised at the commanding tone of the American.
Johnny has outgrown the fear of staying at home alone.
4. 当全部乘客都向出口处 (exit) 走去时，他却独自留在座位上，好像不愿意离开这架飞机似的。
While all the other passengers made for the exit, he alone remained in his seat as if unwilling to leave the plane.
The letter is to be handed to Dr. Wilson himself.
While she felt like joining in the argument, Nancy was too shy to open her mouth.
What do you think is the likeliest time to find him at home?
8. 猎人一看见有只狐狸从树丛中出现并向他设下 (lay) 的陷阱 (trap) 方向跑去，脸上顿时闪出了兴奋的表情。
The hunter’s face lit up with excitement as soon as he saw a fox emerge from among the bushes and run in the direction of / make for the trap he had laid.
1)Besides Except Besides
2)Have received Accepted Received Accept
3)Discovered Was invented Discovered Invented
1) conflict with
2) superior to
4) left behind/left (my car keys) behind
9) above all
6) Acting on
7) leaving to
8) went out of her way
9) has been appointed
1) Many authors use a false name when they publish their books.
2) The origin of human life on earth is now believed to have been in Africa.
3) The book was translated from Chinese into English under the personal supervision of the author.
4) In spite of the personal participation of the President, the conference failed to produce agreement.
5) Many Americans prefer to travel by car over any other means of transportation.
6) Watches made in your factory are far superior in quality to those turned out in theirs.
1) a wait-and-see attitude
2) a life-and-death struggle
3) a down-to-earth spirit
4) an out-and-out lie
5) an out-of-the-way mountain village
6) a face-to-face talk
7) a divide-and-rule policy
8) up-to-date machines
9) word-for-word translation
10) a never-to-be-forgotten night
2) be heightened
5) to be lengthened
6) hastened heartened
1) In his youth
2) A 17-year-old youth
3) The youth of our country have
4) Some youths
5) Youth is
6) The youth of the 21st century have
1) Although advanced in years, Thomas Edison remained as active and creative as many young people.
2) While still at college, Miss Leacock had her first novel published.
3) A tiger cannot be tamed unless caught very young.
4) The old lady carrying a basketful of eggs was run down by a taxi when crossing the street.
5) I am sure Mr. White's latest play, once staged, will prove to be a great success.
6) Ben is fully aware that if not properly managed, his shirt factory will have to close down in less than a year.
1) Paul could not dance, nor could he sing.
2) I was not satisfied with her explanation, nor were my classmates.
3) My brother Joe never learned to swim, nor does he intend to start now.
4) They didn't invite me, nor did they invite my parents.
5) Cathy had hardly said a word since supper, nor had her husband.
6) Mr. Owen didn't know then what had happened, nor did he ever find out.
1) It was Jefferson who wrote the Declaration of Independence.
2) It is with genuine feeling that the author praises all that is progressive.
3) It was on the beach that Miss White found the child lying dead.
4) It was because the water had risen that we could not cross the river.
5) It was Jim, a heartless fellow, who was heard shouting at his mother in the dead of night.
6) It was not until I told her that Mrs. Williams knew anything about it.
1) Paul considered himself fortunate to have been admitted to Harvard University.
2) Don't you think it good for us to remember Jefferson's emphasis upon knowledge as a basis for action?
3) Today people find it impossible for one person to learn what needs to be known about all subjects.
4) His duty fulfilled, Henry felt a great weight taken off his mind.
5) Alice considered herself lucky that she was not injured in the accident.
6) The Chinese working class made its strength felt by playing the main role in the May 4th Movement.
5) go out of one's way
7) acted on
8) owe much to
9) left behind
2) In fact
3) a second term
6) served as
9) The nation's capital
It was suggested at the meeting that a committee of eleven be appointed to make a new constitution.
By making on-the-spot observations, the young scientists obtained first-hand information they needed in their research work.
It is very likely that he will be rejected by the army because of his bad eyesight.
4) 委员会成员在新机场最佳选址 (location) 这一问题上持有不同意见。
The committee members have conflicting opinions as to the best location of the new airport.
Henry's works of art are superior in many respects to those of his brother's. 6) 我们产品质量的稳步提高在很大程度上是由于设备有所改进。
The steady rise in the quality of our products owes much to the improvement of our equipment.
Jim would have preferred to act on his own judgment, but he didn't because as a soldier he had to obey the order.
Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a city without bikes or one without cars, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.
1)were short of
2)attached any importance to
3)have applied for
3) in turn
4) smelled of
11) Having little in common
1) A résumégenerally consists of personal information, work experience and educational background.
2) In today's job market, importance is attached to practical experience as well as formal education.
3) The pay for this type of work ranges from ten to fifteen dollars per hour.
4) The thought of having to take the exam again depressed me./ I was depressed at the thought of having to take the exam again.
5) Tony and his brother have little in common except that they share the same interest in cricket./ Tony and his brother have little in common except their shared interest in cricket.
6) England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland constitute the United Kingdom.
1) a blue-eyed girl
2) a kind-hearted woman
3) a simple-minded young man
4) a double-faced guy/a double-faced fellow
5) a long-haired rabbit
6) a white-haired girl
7) a left-handed person
8) a red-tailed bird
9) a narrow-minded man
10) a short-sighted woman
1) smells lovely/smells sweet
2) could smell cigarettes
3) Smell the milk
4) smells stale
5) smells of wine
6) can smell something burning
7) was smelling a ball of wool
8) smell of fish/smelt of fish/smelled of fish
3) excited interested
5) bored closing
9) amusing thinking
1) The rumour proved (to be) true.
2) The experiment proved (to be) a success in the end.
3) The student proved (to be) much brighter than he had first appeared.
4) His experiences on the farm proved (to be) a turning point in his writing career.
1) I could say "Thank you"
2) I had time to look over my answers
3) most of the students understood the first problem
4) I could stop him
1) the letter must have been written by a small child
2) they are probably Japanese
3) he might have failed in his English exam
4) the performance must be a great success
6) consisted of
7) attached importance
9) in common
3) college graduate
5) find out
6) checked with his university
7) he'd be right for the job
9) left me with only one other question
10) call on
1. She got a post as a cashier at a local bank. But she was soon fired because she proved to be incompetent.
2. It is obviously/clearly his young assistant who is running the book store.
3. No sooner had the proposal been announced at the meeting than she got to her feet to protest.
4. Bill has applied to Harvard University for a teaching assistantship, but his chances of getting it are slim.
5. Being short of funds, they are trying to attract foreign capital.
6. The room smells of stale air. It must have been vacant for a long time.
7. As far as hobbies are concerned, Jane and her sister have little in common. 就业余爱好而言，珍妮和她妹妹几乎没有什么共同之处。
8. It is self-evident that the education of the young is vital to the future of a country.
2) A little
5) a few little
6) a few few
2) corresponded with each other
3) immune to
4) at ease
8) a household word
9) capable of carrying out
10) so much so that
1) a series of
3) are pursuing
6) come to terms with
7) work out
8) singled out
10) taken apart
11) at ease
1) He writes exclusively for the "Washington Post".
2) The friendship your people have for our people impressed me deeply during my visit in your country./ I was deeply impressed during my visit in your country by the friendship your people have for our people.
3) It took Joe a long time to come to terms with the fact that he would no longer be able to go sailing again.
4) Jim's grandfather believes more in fresh air and exercise than in medicine.
5) Owing to his poor education he was frustrated in his attempt to find a good job.
6) Most American cities are relatively small in terms of population when compared to Chinese cities like Shanghai and Beijing.
2) housebreaker/housekeep/housekeeper/house arrest/housemate/housework
4) bookkeeper/bookmark/book review/bookseller/bookshelf/bookstall
6) classroom/living room/reading room/waiting room/consulting room/dark room
1) a drop of blood
2) a grain of wheat
3) a length of rope
4) a lump of sugar
5) a ball of string
6) a block of marble
7) a roll of toilet paper
8) a helping of pie
9) a blanket of heavy mist
10) a slice of beef
1) Joe's father was seen to return after dark.
2) The wind was heard to roar through the trees.
3) I don't think Tom can be made to take the boss's orders.
4) The young man was seen to enter the building next to the bank.
5) When she was in Shanghai the actress was heard to say she had long thought of this city as her second home.
6) After the minister of education had finished speaking at the press conference, he was made to answer all sorts of questions.
1) The doctor advised (that) Mike (should) stay in hospital until he was fully recovered.
2) Cathy's father insisted (that) she (should) take a two-week rest before going back to work.
3) The chairman of the Trade Union suggested (that) a special committee (should) be set up to look into the problem./ The chairman of the Trade Union suggested (that) they set up a special committee to look into the problem.
4) The commander ordered (that) our company (should) start the attack before dawn.
5) Knowing Jack to be dishonest, I demanded (that) he (should) tell me nothing but the truth.
6) The dean of the philosophy department requested (that) the visiting scholar (should) give a lecture on Sartre.
7) singled out
10) at ease
2) a slow start
4) grew up
5) devote himself to research
8) you think it's two hours
9) the physical world
The little girl ran so fast that she was thrown off balance and fell over / down.
2) 他致力于研究工作的精神 (devotion to research) 给我留下了很深印象，但我对他那些
I was impressed by his devotion to research but I did not have the slightest interest in his profound theories.
Be sure not to say anything capable of being misunderstood.
I was so bewildered by their conflicting advice that I did not know how to act/what to do.
5) 起初，这个复杂问题使他们感到灰心丧气，但经过仔细思考后他们终于研究出了解决办法。At first this complicated problem frustrated them, but after thinking it over carefully they finally worked out a solution.
The head of the sports delegation beamed with delight when a young pioneer presented him with a bunch of flowers.
I really don't see why our English teacher should single out our monitor for praise since we have all done quite well this term.
8) 我相信比较高级的| (higher) |动物是由比较低级的|（lower）|动物进化而来|（develop from）|的这一学说。
I believe in the theory that the higher animals developed from the lower ones. 大学英语精读第三版第二册Book2Unit5答案上海外语教育出版社董亚芬主编
4) from year to year
9) to make matters worse
11) be replaced
13) has disappeared
14) came about
1) has served as
2) may do harm to
3) makes up
4) convert them into
5) in all likelihood
6) from year to year
7) compete with for
8) is essential to
1) at first
3) First of all
4) first of all/first
7) at first
8) at first
1) A ballet dancer who does not practice every day loses a lot of skill, as does a musician.
2) Almost all the teachers at the training centre were women, as were the majority of the learners.
3) The first lines gripped him; as did the next verse; and then the whole poem.
4) Isaac watched her winning smile, as did every man in the group.
5) Anyone accompanying a disabled person will be admitted to the meeting, as will guide dogs.
6) The second individual session began with a review of the homework assignment, as did all sessions.
1) It is believed that between 50,000 and 100,000 people in this country, who are free of symptoms, are likely to be carrying the HIV virus.
2) During this period, it is estimated that half a million people were killed in the communal violence that flooded the country.
3) When it is discovered that a substance harms women's reproductive health, women of childbearing age are usually kept from jobs that might expose them to it.
4) Official figures give average class sizes as forty to fifty, but it is reported that in the rural areas there are often seventy to eighty children in a class.
7) does us no harm