complete the following statements according to what you have heard.
1.taking a break
2.escaping relief out in the country fast move
3.the pollution of the citysmog
4.changes in the way we live
p10: content questions
one of you asks the first six questions and the other answers. starting from question7, change roles. when you have finished, the teacher may want to put some of the questions to you to check your progress.
1. write and live on a farm.
2. because they grow nearly all of their fruits and vegetables. they have enough eggs, honey and wood. they are very close to nature and can enjoy the beautiful scenery. besides, they can go skiing and skating in winter.
3. no. sometimes the good life can get pretty tough.
4. they were buried under five feet of snow from december through march.
5. when the first spring came, it brought two floods. the second flood refers to the good harvest in the growing season.
6. he decided to quit his job and start to freelance.
7. he has to crawl into black-bear dens for “sports illustrated”, hitch up dogsled racing teams for “smithsonian” magazine, check out the lake champlain “monster” for “science digest”, and canoe through the boundary waters wilderness area of minnesota for “destinations”.
8. as for insurance, they have only bought a poor man’s
major-medical policy and the policy on their two cars.
9. they cut back their expenses without appreciably lowering their standard of living. for example：they patronize local restaurants instead of more expensive places in the city. they still attend the opera and ballet but only a few times a year. they eat less meat, drink cheaper wine and see fewer movies.
10. a tolerance for solitude and lots of energy.
11. they will leave with a feeling of sorrow but also with a sense of pride at what they’ve been able to accomplish.
12. they chose to live in the country because they want to improve the quality of their lives. yes, they have finally realized their dream.
p11: text orqanization
working on your own
do the exercises and then compare your answers with a partner.
1. parts paragraphs main ideas
part oneparas. 1-3 the writer views his life in
the country as a self-reliant
and satisfying one.
part twoparas. 4-7 life in the country is good
yet sometimes very hard.
part three paras. 8-11 after quitting his job, the
writer’s income was
reduced, but he and his
family were able to
manage to get by.
part fourparas. 12-15a tolerance for solitude
and a lot of energy have
made it possible for the
family to enjoy their life in
2. happy moments and events hardships
1) growing nearly all their fruits and 1)working hard both vegetablesin winter and in summer
2) canoeing, picnicking, long bicycle 2)harsh environment rides, etc. and weather condition
3) keeping warm inside the house 3)anxious moments after the in winter writer quit his job
4) writing freelance articles4)cutting back on daily expenses
5) earning enough money while 5) solitude
maintaining a happy family life.
p12 language sense enhancement
1. (1)special qualities(2)a tight budget (3)entertain
(4)anyway (5)involved (6)requirement (7)on a small scale
(8)temptation (9)instead (10)machinery
1. 1)on balance 2)resist 3)haul 4)wicked 5)illustrated
10) economic 11)blasting 12)just about
2. 1)cut back/down 2)pick up 3)get by 4)get through
5)face up to 6)turn in 7)making up for 8)think up
3. 1)pursued his mathematical studies and taught himself astronomy.
2)often generate misleading thoughts.
3)attach great importance to combining theory with practice
in our work.
4)be suspected of doing everything for money.
5)before he gets through life.
4. 1)their indoora profitto invest in
2)devicethe improvementon a global scale
3)stackedtemptationnever dined out
p18 ii . confusable words
1)house 2)home 3)home family 4)household
1)doubt2)suspected 3)doubted 4)suspected 5)suspect
p19 iii. word formation
1)rise 2)final 3)regular 4)cash 5)hows whys 6)upped
7)yellowed 8)bottled 9)lower 10)search
p 20: comprehensive exercise
i . cloze
1.(1)gets by (2)temptation (3)get through (4)improvements (5)aside from (6)suspect (7) supplement (8)profit
2. (1)replaced (2)consider (3)quit (4)world (5)tough
(6)fuels (7)provide (8)luxuries (9)balance (10)ideal p21 ii. translation
as it was a formal dinner party, i wore formal dress, as
mother told me to.
his girlfriend advised him to get out of/get rid ofhis bad habit of smoking before it took hold.
3. 他们预料到下几个月电的需求量很大，决定增加生产。anticipating that the demand for electricity will be high
during the next few months, they have decided to increase its production.
itis said that bill has been fired for continually violating the company’s safety rules. bill is saidto have been fired for continually violating the company’s safety rules.
it is reported that the government has taken proper measures to avoid the possibility ofa severe water shortage. the local government is reported to have taken proper measures to avoid thepossibility of a severe water shortage.
half an hour had gone by, but the last bus hadn’t come yet. we had to walk home.
mary seems to be very worried about the chinese exam because she hasn’t learned the texts by heart.
since the basketball match has been postponed, we might as well visit the museum.
5) 自1985 年从南京大学毕业至今，可以说我与我的大学同学失去了联系。
since i graduated from nanjing university in 1985, i have kind of lost touch with my classmates.
as is predicted by scientists, global pollution has become one of the most serious problems humans are faced with.
competition for these jobs is very tough –we have five times as many applicants this year as we didlast year. there are five times as many applicants this year as there were last year.
as the factsshow, educational programs need to fit into the national plan for economical development.
the car burns too much gas, and moreover,the price is almost twice as much as i intend to pay.
to understand a great international event, we, first of all, need to consider the historical and
political background to it.
it is reported that un mediators have worked out a plan which they hopewill be acceptable to both sides.
doris walked in the forest cautiously, afraid of being attacked by giant snakes.
i bought a new issue of myfavorite sports magazine and hurried home, anxious to amuse myself reading it.
helen lacks confidence. i’ve never known anyone so unsure of herself.
i’m not sure where you can find a good carpenter---you’d better ask around.
feeling a little embarrassed, he quickly cleared histhroat and looked up at the painting on the wall.
michael was survived by three sons,two daughters, and his wife elizabeth.
a financial expert, william as advised us to invest our money in the stockmarket.
we small retailers can’t compete with supermarkets in pricing and sales.
before i went off to university, my grandfather gave me a few words of wisdom which impressed me deeply.
never tell my parents about my injuries and i’ll be very grateful to you (for it).
at the meeting some of our colleagues put forward sensible suggestions aboutimproving our working environment.
the management has/have agreed to grant the workers a 10% pay rise in response to union pressure.
it was very thoughtful of the hostess to give the house a thorough cleaning before we arrived.
a local business undertook the project but went bankrupt before it was completed.
let’s make a deal—you wash my car, and i’ll let you use it tonight.
3) 我们到达那个我们本以为已毁于那次大地震的村庄时，却发现它只受到轻微损失。we got to the village which we thought must
have been wiped outin the severe earthquake, only to find it slightly damaged.
my garden is dry and shady—few plants thrive in that condition.
mystery still surrounds the exact truth behind the film star’s death/exact circumstance of the film star’s death.
without his personal file, an applicant can hardly expect to get/ be employed as a teacher.
with enough ice, we wouldbe able to chill the drinks.
my humble opinion, reading us in the most pleasant way to spend one’s leisure.
4) 有人说，美国运动员迈克尔?菲尔普斯在2008 北京奥运会上赢得8 块金牌简直是奇迹。
some people said it was simply a miracle that the american athlete michael phelps won eight gold medals at the 2008 beijing olympic games.
the washing machine has broken down, so we have to wash our clothes by hand.
s=txt>part ii language focus
5. hold back
7. off and on
11. turn in
1. 2. 3.
4. 5. 3.
1. reputation, rigid, to inspire
2. and tedious, what’s more, out of date ideas
3. compose, career, avoid showing, hardly hold back Ⅱ.
7. was violating
8. in, in
1. hold back
6. off and on
7. turn out/in
10. excitement Ⅱ. translation 1.
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 2.
unit 2 friendship
1. fill in the gaps with words or phrases given in the box.
3) every now and then
4) are urging/ urged
7) hangs out
8) right away