Their argument ended when she slammed the door and left without a word.
The guests at the dinner party were slightly surprised at the commanding tone of the American.
Johnny has outgrown the fear of staying at home alone.
4. 当全部乘客都向出口处(exit) 走去时，他却独自留在座位上，好像不愿意离开这架飞机似的。
While all the other passengers made for the exit, he alone remained in his seat as if unwilling to leave the plane.
The letter is to be handed to Dr. Wilson himself.
While she felt like joining in the argument, Nancy was too shy to open her mouth.
What do you think is the likeliest time to find him at home?
8. 猎人一看见有只狐狸从树丛中出现并向他设下(lay) 的陷阱(trap) 方向跑去，脸上顿时闪出了兴奋的表情。
The hunter’s face lit up with excitement as soon as he saw a fox emerge from among the bushes and run in the direction of / make for the trap he had laid
It was suggested at the meeting that a committee of eleven be appointed to make a new constitution.
By making on-the-spot observations, the young scientists obtained first-hand information they needed in their research work.
It is very likely that he will be rejected by the army because of his bad eyesight.
4) 委员会成员在新机场最佳选址(location) 这一问题上持有不同意见。
The committee members have conflicting opinions as to the best location of the new airport.
Henry's works of art are superior in many respects to those of his brother's.
The steady rise in the quality of our products owes much to the improvement of our equipment.
7) 吉姆本想按照自己的判断行事，但他没有这样做，因为作为军人他得服从命令。Jim would have preferred to act on his own judgment, but he didn't because as a soldier he had to obey the order.
Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a city without bikes or one without cars, I should not hesitate a
moment to prefer the latter
1. She got a post as a cashier at a local bank. But she was soon fired because she proved to be incompetent.
2. It is obviously/clearly his young assistant who is running the book store.
3. No sooner had the proposal been
announced at the meeting than she got to her feet to protest.
4. Bill has applied to Harvard University for a teaching assistantship, but his chances of getting it are slim.
5. Being short of funds, they are trying to attract foreign capital.
6. The room smells of stale air. It must have been vacant for a long time.
7. As far as hobbies are concerned, Jane and her sister have little in common.
8. It is self-evident that the education of the young is vital to the future of a country. 不言而喻，青年人的教育对于一个国家的未来是至关重要的。
The little girl ran so fast that she was thrown off balance and fell over / down.
2) 他致力于研究工作的精神(devotion to research) 给我留下了很深印象，但我对他那些深奥的理论丝毫不感兴趣。
I was impressed by his devotion to research but I did not have the slightest interest in his profound theories.
Be sure not to say anything capable of being misunderstood.
I was so bewildered by their conflicting advice that I did not know how to act/what to do.
At first this complicated problem frustrated them, but after thinking it over carefully they finally worked out a solution.
The head of the sports delegation beamed with delight when a young pioneer presented him with a bunch of flowers.
I really don't see why our English teacher should single out our monitor for praise since we have all done quitewell this term.
8) 我相信比较高级的| (higher) |动物是由比较低级的|（lower）|动物进化而来|（develop from）|的这一学说。
I believe in the theory that the higher animals developed from the lower ones
If the rich countries spent more money on green industries, instead of on building up military machines and nuclear weapons, many of today's widespread pollution problems would gradually disappear.
The burning of coal not only consumes the oxygen in the house but also gives out poisonous gases.
Apparently, finding alternative energy sources is essential to the steady development of our economy.
4) 太阳能电池（solar cell）能吸收阳光并把它变成电。
Solar cells can absorb sunlight and convert it into electricity.
If the temperature on the Earth continues to go up from year to year, the polar ice caps will begin to melt and, in all likelihood, half of the buildings in coastal cities will disappear beneath splashing sea waves.
6) 因为这些生物很小并且常常躲在叶子茂密的植物下面，肉眼并不都可以看见。Because these creatures are small and tend to hide beneath leafy plants, they are not always visible to the naked eye.
As a result of exposure to atomic radiation, he finally collapsed at work.
There is distinct evidence of the connection between heavy pressure of work and some disorders of the body
If / As long as you keep (on) trying, you will be able to resolve this difficult problem sooner or later.
We anticipate encountering / that we will encounter resistance to our plan / our plan will meet with resistance.
Jim's friends said that the noise pollution in their city was terrible, but they had to live with it.
4) 汤姆起初认为，凭他的知识、技术和经验，一定能够找到一份称心如意的工作。At first Tom thought that with his knowledge, skill and experience he was bound to find a satisfactory job.
5) 冷静耐心地处理这个微妙(delicate) 问题是明智的。
It would be wise / advisable to handle this delicate problem with calmness and patience.
6) 迪克以为，如果他拆不开那台机器，那么很可能厂里别的工人也拆不开。Dick thought that if he wasn't able to take the machine apart, chances were that no other worker in the plant could, either.
Do you think bus drivers should take full responsibility for the passengers' safety?
You needn't dwell on your mistakes in judgment any more. What's important is to try your best to avoid repeating them.
Under the leadership of the local government, the villagers rose to the serious food crisis caused by the floods.
The exhibition is very popular and is attracting a steady stream of visitors.
When Mom came upstairs to check on us kids, I turned over and pretended to be asleep.
Waging a battle against the drug pushers was a challenge to Armstead. She felt rather nervous but she decided to confront them.
The old lady told me to be cautious and not to talk to the guys hanging out on the street corner.
A health organization prompted the local government to raise a three-million-dollar fund for a new hospital.
Opening the door, the man who had set fire to the church found himself confronted by a dozen policemen with guns.
It is reported that the fire which raged for more than two hours started in an abandoned warehouse / store
Vast amounts of investment have enabled the economy of the area to grow rapidly. 2) 他们为新建一所医院开展了一场筹款运动。
They launched a campaign to raise money for a new hospital.
Success lies in diligence. Dr. Nolen is a case in point.
Men of high moral standards, they are never to be tempted into taking such expensive gifts.
There are indications that numerous factories are faced with a very difficult situation.
6) 警方找到谁是罪犯的重要线索后，在几小时内就以武装抢劫罪拘捕了他。The police arrested the criminal on a charge of armed robbery several hours after they found an important clue to his identity.
Investigation has revealed that retirement tends to cause psychological troubles for some people.
The medical team did more than complain about the relatively poor working conditions at the local hospital. For instance, several doctors bought simple medical instruments with their own money.
Everything points to the fact / indicates that something has gone wrong with his project / plan.
The author argues that we should not take it for granted that those who score high on intelligence tests will naturally do well in practical work.
I picked out some English idioms and tried them on my classmates.
Three professors were asked to make an evaluation of the teaching plans devised by the new teachers.
It is a very small loss to / for us. Don't make such a fuss over it.
He scored far more points / much higher than any of his rivals and proved himself a worthy winner.
The two animals are similar in appearance, but they belong to different species.
I don't know for sure whether the bank will grant him the loan he has applied for.
Through the article the author wants to convey to the readers her views on praise and criticism.
As parents we should know that for children an ounce of praise is worth a pound of scolding.
3) 这位教师并不是一个了不起的学者，但他的确懂得怎样把一门课教得活泼而有趣。(ina ... manner)
The teacher isn't much of a scholar, but he does know how to teach a course in a lively and interesting manner.
We often find it much more difficult to apply a rule than to know it.
5) 她从不因为孩子们争吵而责骂他们，而是在他们安安静静地玩耍时赞扬几句。She never scolds her children for squabbling. Instead, she gives them a few words of praise when they play quietly.
Mr. Green was always critical of his daughter's writings, but somehow he commented favorably on that poorly written poem of hers.
Quite a few students in our class were publicly criticized by the teacher for failing to hand in their compositions on time.
A good teacher should be very alert to the progress his students make / are making. If their progress is ignored / goes unnoticed, the students will feel discouraged