1. As it was a formal dinner party, I wore formal dress, as Mother told me to.
2. His girlfriend advised him to get out of/get rid of his bad habit of smoking before it took hold.
3. Anticipating that the demand for electricity will be high during the next few months, they have decided to increase its production.
4. It is said that Bill has been fired for continually violating the company's safety rules/Bill is said to have been fired for continually violating the company's safety rules.
5. It is reported that the government has taken proper measures to avoid the possibility of a severe water shortage./The local government is reported to have taken proper measures to avoid the possibility of a severe water shortage.
Susan lost her legs because of / in a car accident. For a time, she didn't know how to face up to the fact that she would never (be able to) walk again.
One day, while scanning (through) some magazines, a true story caught her eye / she was attracted by a true story. It gave a vivid description of how a disabled girl became a writer. Greatly inspired, Susan began to feel that she, too, would finally be able to lead a useful life.
1) Half an hour had gone by, but the last bus hadn't come yet. We had to walk home.
2) Mary looks as if she is very worried about the Chinese exam because she hasn't learned the texts by heart.
3) Since the basketball match has been postponed, we might as well visit the museum.
4) He stayed in Australia with his parents all the way through World War II.
5) Since I graduated from Nanjing University in 1985, I have kind of lost touch with my classmates.
It is not easy to keep in touch with friends when they are far away. This is certainly true in my case.
It has been a couple of years since I left my old neighborhood and all the friends I had there. I've been meaning to write to them but something or other comes up and I just don't seem to find the time. They are always on my mind, however, and I think I will certainly make an effort to keep up correspondence with them in future.
As is predicted by scientists, global pollution has become one of the most serious problems humans are faced with.
2) Competition for these jobs is very tough ─ we have five times as many applican ts this year as
we did last year / there are five times as many applicants this year as there were last year.
3) As the facts show, educational programs need to fit into the national plan for economic development.
4) The car burns too much gas, and moreover, the price is almost twice as much as I intend to pay.
5) To understand a great international event, we, first of all, need to consider the historical and political background to it.
It is hard to imagine how our forefathers could do without so many conveniences that modern technology has brought about. Back then only a small proportion of the population enjoyed the comforts of life. The majority didn't even have sufficient food, not to speak of / let alone the privilege of being educated. However, many people blame modern technology for creating so many problems. They want to slow down the rate of progress. But no one can put the clock back.
It is reported that UN mediators have worked out a plan which they hope will be acceptable to both sides.
2) Doris walked in the forest cautiously, afraid of being attacked by giant snakes.
3) Earthquakes, typhoons and other natural disasters cannot be prevented, but action can be taken to protect life and property.
4) I bought a new issue of my favorite sports magazine and hurried home, anxious to amuse myself reading it.
5) Helen lacks confidence. I've never known anyone so unsure of herself.
After graduating from college, Tony decided to start his own business. At the beginning, many a bank turned down his request for a loan. But he was not a bit discouraged, and continued to call on one banker after another seeking help. Impressed by his determination and optimism, one banker finally agreed to loan him the money. Now he has become a wealthy businessman. Talking about his amazing achievement, Tony says that it is important to create rather than wait for opportunities.
I'm not sure where you can find a good carpenter — you'd better ask around.
2. Feeling a little embarrassed, he quickly cleared his throat and looked up at the painting on the wall.
3. Michael was survived by three sons, two daughters, and his wife Elizabeth.
4. As a financial expert, William advised us to invest our money in the stock market.
5. We small retailers can't compete with supermarkets in pricing and sales.
My dad is a hard-working executive of a manufacturing firm. He works six days a week. Every day he has to straighten out various kinds of problems so that he often stays up late / nights. However, he tries his best to balance / maintain a balance between work and family. On Sundays my dad usually stays at home and cares for us as much as he can. To my greatest joy, he cooks our favorite dishes and plays ball with us.
Before I went off to university, my grandfather gave me a few words of wisdom which impressed me deeply.
2) Never tell my parents about my injuries and I'll be very grateful to you (for it).
3) At the meeting some of our colleagues put forward sensible suggestions about improving our working environment.
4) The management has / have agreed to grant the workers a 10% pay rise in response to union pressure.
5) It was very thoughtful of the hostess to give the house a thorough cleaning before we arrived. Not rich himself, Uncle Li never hesitates to help others. Previous to / Before his retirement, through Project Hope he located the addresses of two country kids who grew up in poor families but had a keen desire to study. From then on he sent them money regularly. Later the two made their way to college, and even got a chance to study overseas.
A local business undertook the project but went bankrupt before it was completed.
2. Let's make a deal — you wash my car, and I'll let you use it tonight.
3. We got to the village which we thought must have been wiped out in the severe earthquake, only to find it slightly damaged.
4. My garden is dry and shady — few plants thrive in that condition.
5. Mystery still surrounds the exact truth behind the film star's death / exact circumstances of the film star's death.
When I was young I used to visit the zoo in my hometown. There what attracted me most was a couple of tigers, especially the male. They were kept in a huge iron cage at first, but later were released from it and moved to a place called Tiger Hill. Twenty years later I revisited the zoo and was relieved to find Tiger Hill was still there, but greatly extended. Moving around now were six tigers, old and young, instead of two!
Without his personal file, an applicant can hardly expect to get / be employed as a teacher.
2) With enough ice, we would be able to chill the drinks.
3) In my humble opinion, reading is the most pleasant way to spend one's leisure.
4) Some people said it was simply a miracle that the American athlete Michael Phelps won eight gold medals at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.
5) The washing machine has broken down, so we have to wash our clothes by hand.
This morning I heard an interesting piece of news over my portable radio: A man of 36 and his son of 10 attend the same class competing with each other for high marks. The story goes/It's like this: The man, Li Wei by name, was too idle to learn anything when young. With little education, with no useful skills, he could hardly earn an adequate living wage. His life experiences drove home to him the point that he had to acquire knowledge before he was able to accumulate wealth. So Li Wei swore that he would go to school with his son, determined to learn.