新视野大学英语（第三版）第一册读写教程课后答案Unit 1 Fresh start
Text A Toward a bright future for all
Ex.1 Understanding the text
1、The parents reminded their children to work hard and achieve the best they could.
2、The president calls on the students to make the most of the great resources on campus: to explore new subjects, to meet fascinating people, and to pursue new passions.
3、By saying “sample them widely”, the president means students should try many different courses and try something new to see what it is like.
4、If we don’t challenge ourselves, we will not become broadly educated people, and we may not find the passion that will help us shape our future.
5、We can learn from the example of Vera Wang that we should challenge ourselves, and by challenging ourselves, we are more likely to find an interest we don’t know we have, and this interest may help us build a prosperous future.
6、We should not worry, and we should learn to face this new part of our life with enthusiasm. College experiences, pleasant or unpleasant, will provide us with valuable lessons which will enrich our life.
7、The expression “Now it is your turn”means that now it is time for you to acquire knowledge and to pass it on.
8、The president’s welcoming speech is really impressive. He mentions many important things about college life, the resources available on campus, as well as the opportunities we have and the responsibilities we should take. The speech is very inspiring.
Ex.3 Words in use
Ex.4 Word building
Ex.5 Word building
9.simplified 10.accountant 11.notified
Ex.6 Banked cloze
1-5: D H A B M 6-10: F O I G J
Ex.7 Expressions in use
2.make the most of
5.reap the benefits of
6.all at once
8.stand a chance of
9.open the door to 10.take pleasure in
Ex.9 Structured writing
There are some things you can do to succeed in college. First, pursue passions. Your passions will broaden your mind and make your life interesting. Second, never let go of any opportunities that come your way. College is full of unique opportunities, which will enable you to sample new things and meet wonderful people. Lastly, take responsibilities. In college you must learn to be responsible for your own decisions and actions. With the passions, the opportunities, and the ability to take responsibilities, you will become successful not only in college, but also in your future career.
Ex.10 E-C Translation
Ex.10 C-E Translation
Confucius was a great thinker and educator in Chinese history. He was the founder of Confucianism and was respectfully referred to as an ancient “sage”. His words and life story were recorded in The Analects. An enduring classic of ancient Chinese culture, The Analectshas had a great influence on the thinkers, writers, and statesmen that came after Confucius. Without studying this book, one could hardly truly understand the thousands-of-years’ traditional Chinese culture. Much of Confucius’ thought, especially his thought on education, has had a profound influence on Chinese society. In the 21st century, Confucian thought not only retains the attention of the Chinese, but it also wins an increasing attention from the international community.
Text B What we wish
Reading skills: previewing
Understanding the text
1. The father is happy that his child is going to college and will have new exciting experiences. Meantime, the father feels sad to see the child leave.
2. Because it is in college that the child will find out what learning is about.
3. The statement “Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school” was made by Einstein. It means that the details you have learned or the facts you have remembered are not important. What is really important is the fact that you have learned how to learn and that you have developed a way of thinking and a sense of responsibility.
4. The father thinks his child should take courses that will stimulate his interest and improve his intellectual capacity.
5. What Steve Jobs meant was that in college, your passion will guide you to learn
a lot of new and seemingly uncollected things will become connected and help build your life and career.
6. The father warns his child not to be upset by low grades. They are only letters and are not important.
7. Genuine and sincere people can become our friends.
8. The father is eager to see what his child will develop into, and what achievements his child will make in the future.
Words in use
9. approach 10. capacity Expressions in use
1.Some people love pets and regard them as friends while other people dislike
pets and think they may cause diseases.
2.Jerry is very bold and likes taking risks while his brother is extremely careful
and thinks things through before doing anything.
3.Beijing is a busy city with a large population while my hometown is very
quiet with a small population.
1.It is Sam that/who thinks…
2.It was during my undergraduate studies that…
3.It is the curiosity and creativity of children that…