1. It may seem strange to put into the same packet an industrial revolution and two political revolutions. But the fact is that they were all social revolutions.
2. Two things are outstanding in the creation of the English system of canals, and they characterise all the Industrial Revolution.
3. The canals were arteries of communication: they were not made to carry pleasure boats, but barges.
4. James Brindley was a pioneer in the art of building canals or, as it was then called, ‘navigation’.
5. Several factors accounted for this extraordinary achievement. One was the expansion into the west. Another was the application of machinery to farming. 【译文】取得这一特殊成就有几方面的原因：第一个原因是向西部的扩展，第二个原因是机器在农业上的应用。
6. …for the establishment of agricultural and industrial colleges. These were to serve both as educational institutions and as centers for research in scientific farming.
7. …This is nothing li ke back home in Colorado. We have rains there, too. Thunderstorms in spring and summer...
8. The world watches. The world listens. The world waits to see what we will do. 【译文】全世界在注视着。全世界在倾听着。全世界在等待着看我们将做些什么。
9. As you said in your toast, the Chinese people are a great people, the American people are a great people.
10. Let us revise our safety and sanitary regulations.
11. I identify myself as one of critical lovers and loving critics of the United Nations. 【译文】我自认为我既是一个批评联合国的爱护者，又是一个爱护联合国的批评者。
12. The composition and thickness of a thin film determine its electrical and mechanical characteristics.
13. We have to analyze and solve problems.
14. The decision to deploy a ballistic missile defense system depends primarily on cost, reliability and capability of the phased—array radar rather than on other technological factors.
15. Despite his versatility of talent and shiftiness of purpose, this man has in his whole lifetime been wedded to the most fossilized routine.
16. You can do it very well, if you care to.
17. Water evaporates more rapidly when the temperature is high than when it is low.
18. Radar is a newly developed technique by which people can see the things beyond the visibility of them.
19. If she did not speak with Rebecca on the tender subject, she compensated herself with long and intimate conversation with Mrs. Blenkinsop, the house keeper, who dropped some hints to the lady’s-maid, who may have cursorily mentioned the matter to the cook, who carries the news, I have no doubt, to all the tradesmen. (Vanity Fair)
20. We have come here to express our gratitude and the friendship, complete solidarity and comradeship-in-arms that unite our two peoples.
21. The solid friendship between our two countries took shape during our protracted struggles against colonialism, hegemonism, and outmoded relationships.
22. The distribution of journals of science and technology according to language shows a wide variety. Roughly speaking, some of 44 percent of scientific journals are published in English, 14 percent in German, 13 percent in French, 8 percent in Russian, 5 percent in Spanish, 4 percent in Italian, and the remainder in other
languages of the world.
23. Yesterday a pigeon carried the first message from the city to the town. The bird covered the distance in three minutes.
24. An electron tube is generally used for amplification, and vacuum tube is another name for this device.
25. John’s bought himself a new Ford. He practically lives in the car.
26. Eric Kempka received an order to deliver immediately 200 liters of gasoline in cans to the chancellery garden. Kempka had some difficulty in rounding up so much fuel, but he managed to collect 180 liters. (The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich)