U n i t 1
9 pledge 10 drain
IV 1 tell … on you 2 track down 3 work it out 4 picking on me 5 reckoned with
6 call on
7 on his own
8 get through
9 in disguise 10 revolves around V G O D I K L B F A N
9 tool 10 manner
1 air-conditioned( 装空调的；有冷气的 )
2 handmade （手工制作的）
3 thunderstruck （非
常吃惊的） 4 heartfelt （衷心的；诚挚的） 5 data-based （基于数据的）6 self-employe d
（自主经营的） 7 custom-built （定制的；定做的） 8 weather-beaten （饱经风霜的）
1. well-informed （对…… 非常熟悉的） 2 new-found （新获得的） 3 hard-earned （辛苦挣得
的） 4 soft-spoken （说话温柔的） 5 newly-married （新婚的） 6 widely-held （普遍认为的）
7 well-meant （出于好意的） 8 well-educated （受过良好教育的）
IX 1 no matter how different it may seem form any other substance
2 no matter what a woman tries to do to improve her situation
3 no matter what excuse he gives
4 no matter what anyone else may think
5 no matter how they rewrite history
X 1 just as we gained fame in victory, we lost nothing in defeat
2 just as the head teacher plays a significant role in the school, Jane plays a significant role f
leader in the classroom.
3 whoever was out there obviously couldn ’t see him just as he couldn ’t see them.
4 she has been searching all her life for the perfect chocolate just as
I have been searching for the
5 you can make those kinds of comparisons just as you were doing the analyses a minute ago.
1. No matter how experienced a speaker you are, and how well you have prepared your speech,
you will have difficulty making a speech at such a noisy reception.
2. Just as all his sister ’ s friends cared about him, Jimmy cared about them.
3. Car manufacturers stamp a vehicle identification number at several places on new cars to
help track down stolen vehicles.
4. If you dare tell on me when the teacher gets back I won ’t say a word to you any more.
5. Some elderly people prefer to live on their own while the great majority choose to live with
6. Here is something that needs to be reckoned with: how to get the necessary finances to
establish the company.
1. 每当有人帮了你，无论事情大小，无论他地位高低，你都应该对他说声“ 谢谢” 。
9 C 10 B 11 B 12 B 13 A 14 C 15 D
16 C 17 A 18 C 19 D 20 A
8 remedy 9 impact 10 sufficient
IV 1 bounce back 2 summed up 3 Up to 4 at risk 5 went to zero
6 goes up
7 interfere with
8 derived from
9 In general 10 take in
V G K O N J A C D F I
7 interest 8 efficiency 9 strength 10 creativity
8 existence 9. occurrence 10. acceptance VIII
1. world-famous 2 ice-cold 3 snow-white 4 waterproof 5 waist-deep 6 carefree
IX 1 Mr. Howe, my favorite professor, has received a Distinguished Teacher Award.
2 Yesterday I went fishing, something I hadn ’t done in years.
3 Some women are normally inactive but then all of a sudden start a program of intense exercise,
an action that breaks the laws of sports science.
4 Even a brief visit to Greece, a modern country with ancient civilization, gives you a deep sense
of its culture.
5 The ancient Chinese, a people of inventors, discoverers, philosophers, soldiers, poets, craftsmen,
gave the world many of its most useful things.
X 1 His homework done, his composition written, Larry decided to go and see the film.
2 The manager sat quietly in the office, (his) eyes closed, waiting for the telephone to ring.
3 The room was a mess, empty bottles and beer cans (being) everywhere.
4 When I walked in, Grandpa was sitting at the kitchen table, the newspaper spread before him.
5 Diana stood motionless at the end of the diving board, tears streaming down her cheeks.
7. The defendant, a woman of only 30, kept insisting on her own innocence.
8. All tings considered, dates, beans and some leafy green vegetables are the best sources of iron .
9. No beverages are served with meals because they interfere with digestion.
10. Taking the popularity of the region into consideration, it is advisable to book hotels in
11. If you have a feeling of wanting to throw up after taking this drug, stop taking it immediately
and consult your doctors as soon as possible.
12. Summing up the discussion, he said both parties should consider the most effective way to
solve the problem.
一最容易被身体吸收的铁质来源。 2 ．铁质储量为零时，你。
到健康状态。 4 ．这位运动医学专家认为，感到劳累、工作效率差的人，最好食用牛肉、羊肉，它们含有
最易被吸收的铁质。 5 ．铁质储量低的人应该去咨询医生，。
9 C 10 B 11 A 12 B 13 D 14 A 15 D
16 A 17 D 18 C 19 C 20 A
7 conventional 8 reform 9 worthwhile 10 publicity
IV 1. His girlfriend ’ s father saw him as a man who could not make a living.
2. The course was canceled over the students ’ protest.
3. The problem is so difficult that we cannot work it out without the help of our teacher.
4. Children tend to do/try their utmost when they know their parents are making similar efforts.
5. The new teaching program didn ’t work well in the school at the outset.
6. I was kind of excited when I received the letter that offered me an interview.
7. The school is scheduled to open on September 1.
8. They appeared to offer a free computer, complete with software and
9. In spite of hardships, they made real efforts that have resulted in more progress than expected.
10. Many people make things more difficult for themselves because they still operate on the
principle that you should not ask for help, or you might seem weak. V F M K D C G L O I B
8 love 9 pleasure 10 enthusiasm
IX 1 In Britain, as in America, there is a great demand for educational reform.
2. In Greece, as in Italy, people use a lot of olive oil in cooking.
3. As in the Hyde School, values such as courage, integrity, leadership, curiosity and concern are
the first, most important lesson in some public inner-city schools in Maryland.
4. In China, as in Japan, a large number of middle school students take supplementary classes in
order to get into a famous university.
5. As in the middle of the 1950s, many young people went down to the
countryside in the late
1960s and early 1970s.
X 1 Once you ’ ve practiced a bit, you ’ ll find that it ’ s quite easy.
2. Once the meal was finished, the discussions began.
3. Once you show any fear, he will attack you.
4. Once parents make a commitment to the program, they will be daily role models for their
5. Once customers come to rely on these systems, they almost never take their business elsewhere.
13. In his thinking, as in his behavior, he is very traditional.
14. Once the teachers agree to accept the new teaching program, they have to face the strain it
puts on them.
15. In the l ong run, it is worthwhile to pursue one ’ s study after graduating from university instead
of going to work directly.
16. As the school operates on the Character First principle, moral values and academic
achievements are stressed equally.
17. It is said that the meeting, which is scheduled to be held this month, will be put off till next
18. The school sees its job as preparing its students for life by cultivating a comprehensive set of
principles that can benefit all of them.
1. 跟在法国一样，美国在 20 世纪 60 年代也发生过文化革命。
4 ．快下课时，老师让学生用最后的五分钟来展开激烈的讨论，依照 1 —10 的评分标准相互
评价他们当天的课堂表现。 5 ．为了避免引发针对他们的品格培养方案的争论，该校校长解释说，品格第一并不是要强
迫学生接受某一套道德原则或宗教观念。 6 ．并非所有的家长都相信海德中学的办学原则，即如果你向学生传授诸如求真、勇敢、正
9 C 10 B 11 B 12 A 13 C 14 C 15 A
16 B 17 C 18 A 19 D 20 B
9. dedicated 10. solemn
IV 1. worked on 2. approve of 3. went ahead 4. for sale 5. come up with 6. refashioned into 7. rise to fame 8. captures my attention 9. evolved from
10. named after
V C E F N O K A H L I
9. recognition 10. experience
IX 1. Jimmy walked slowly to the corner of the playground, his face covered with tears.
2. The taxi sped away, its lights disappearing into the distance.
3. Their stomachs crying for food, their back burning from too much sun, both boys gathered their
things and headed for home.
4. Barbara just lay there, her mouth trembling, her eyes unfocused, unable to say a word.
5. Then the two players let him fall to the track, his chest landing first, his head following,
bouncing, and finally lying still.
X 1 Most snakes, although with a threatening appearance, aren ’t really dangerous if you leave them
2. Women, even though with the same abilities, have failed to approach the income of men.
3. Though with a severe lack of coal, the principle was not forced to close the school.
4. She is capable of making complete French meals even though with no cheese after salad.
5. When in doubt about the result of your test, call the test office. XI
19. Everything considered, this city is the world ’ s most exciting city.
20. Though with no approval from his parents, he went ahead with his plan to study abroad.
21. The bridge was named after the hero who gave his life for the cause of people.
22. It is said that the painter used his mother as the model in the painting whose face represented
suffering yet strength.
23. The writer instantly rose to fame in 1950 with the publication of
a novel inspired by his
experience with a girl on a farm.
24. One story says that “ US ” was short for “ Uncle Sam ” whose real name was Sam Wilson, who
had once worked with a man who had signed a contract with the government to provide meat to
the US Army.
画家的牙医和姐姐。 2 ．公司的申请书，不管是代表自己还是代表他人，都应该有官员的签名。
而不只是向他们提供信息。 4 ．尽管有些人不赞同，可市领导还是决定实施这个计划，在湖边建造两个五星级宾馆，以
吸引更多的游客。 5 ．那位著名画家去世了，曾经给他当模特的妻子立即担任了他装潢公司的总经理职务。
9 A 10 B 11 A 12 C 13 A 14 C 15 C
16 A 17 D 18 D 19 A 20 D
9. preceding 10. shallow
IV 1. reached for 2. feel for 3. trying to avoid breathing 4. so that 5. managed to accomplish 6. sense my thoughts 7. provide for
8. spared me 9. read about 10. go about
V N I K G M L A F C D
9. signs 10. hunger
1. growth: the act of growing or developing; physical or natural development
2. warmth: the state or quality of being warm; warm-heartedness and kindness
3. depth: the distance from the top to the bottom of something
4. truth: the state or quality of being true; the actual facts or reality of something
5. length: the measurement of how long something is in size
6. breadth: the distance from one side of something to the other
7. width: the distance from one side of something to the other; the quality of being wide
8. death: the state of being dead
IX 1. did he realize that the task was a little too difficult for the new secretary to finish on her own
2. did Mary stop weeping
3. will all the employees know the result of their performance evaluation
4. did she become aware how hard it was for her mother to have brought up her sister and her on
her own 5. did I get to know what happened in the end to the main characters X 1. Having finished their morning work, the clerks stood up behind their desk, stretching themselves .
2. The secretary worked late into the night, preparing a speech for the President.
3. Seeing no prospect of success, we quitted the attempt to climb the mountain.
4. Knowing that they were going traveling, the students began to make preparation.
5. Having been found guilty, the man was given a severe sentence by the judge.
25. Not until he saw his mother lying in bed, dying, did he realize how much he loved her.
26. Taking into account of his recent physical condition, I think he has done quite well in the
27. Mrs. Clark lies in bed motionless, and I wondered briefly if she is still alive.
28. The building was darkened except for a single light burning in a third-storey window.
29. These soldiers have received very strict training and are well equipped to fulfill the new task.
30. He reached for the phone, picked it up, and dialed the hotel ’ s number.
1. 直到 60 年代早期，人们似乎才普遍认同英国不再是以前心目中那样的大国了。
深陷的胸部随着不均匀的呼吸一起一伏。 5 ．你在报上读到那位著名画家的消
累死的。 6 ．有迹象表明，这位老太太想孤独地离开人世，不让她的家人看到他们或许无力面对的人
9 C 10 A 11 C 12 A 13 C
14 B 15 A 16 D 17 D 18 A 19 B 20 A
9. enclosed 10. fastened
IV 1. come out of 2. watch for 3. resistant to 4. put out 5 .After all 6. make a difference to 7. agree on 8. attach labels to 9. if necessary 10. In addition to
V E J K O B L C H G N
9. standard 10. habit
1-f cupboard 橱柜 2-I motorcycle 摩托车 3-l silkworm 蚕 4-k teardrop 泪滴
5-g bloodstain 血迹 6-a sawdust 锯木屑 7-e cabinet-maker 细木工匠
8-j steamboat 汽船 9-b arrowhead 箭头 10-h shirtsleeves 衬衫袖子
11-d windowpane 窗玻璃 12-c manservant 男佣人
9. enacted 10. endear
IX 1. so that the baby would not catch cold
2. so that more people would vote for him
3. so that his father might forgive him for his failure in the math exam
4. so that it would go on smoothly
5. so that you can judge for yourself
X 1. She cycled from Shanghai to Beijing, which is pretty difficult for
a woman of 50.
2. He wore his swimming things in the office, which shocked his boss a great deal.
3. They ran out of drink, which actually didn ’t bother me because I wasn ’t drinking.
4. They will win the match, which will please my brother.
5. She borrowed a book on literature, which suggests that her literature teacher was having some
influence on her.
31. We should try our best to forecast earthquakes so that destruction of property caused by
them could be prevented as much as possible.
32. A farmer noticed large schools of fish swimming near the surface of the water, which, he said,
indicated the possible occurrence of an earthquake.
33. Keep an English-English dictionary handy, and when you cannot understand a word with
accuracy, you may refer to it any time.
34. If necessary, people who live in the area where an earthquake is about to occur may sleep in
35. A master ’ s degree does make a great difference to a student who wants to get a job.
36. In addition to the knowledge about earthquakes, the book tells us how to prepare for them.
以便它们能够抵御地震的力量。 2 ．人们应该在家里和工作地点储备些水和食物，这在可能发生地震时是特别必要的。
大地震做好准备。 5 ．明智的做法是每个家庭都制定地震应急计划，而且所有的家庭成员都应该知道在地震过
后的混乱中如何离开那个地区。 6 ．由于剩下的几条可用电话线路将会很忙，所有的家人都应该往往在远离地震区域的某个
9 D 10 A 11 B 12 B 13 D
14 C 15 D 16 B 17 A 18 C 19 D 20 D
9. classification 10. recreation
IV 1. by name 2. in high gear 3. turned out 4. At times 5. as to
6. stem from
7. put in
8. on the subject of
9. in the interest of 10. work on
V D G N B I M E J L A
9. interview 10. meetings
1. seaward: going toward the sea
2. backward: directed toward the back, the beginning, or the past; returning; behind in development
3. earthward: toward the earth
4. outward: toward the outside; away; on the outside, appearing to be true but perhaps not really
5. southward: going toward the south
6. northward: going toward the north
7. homeward: going toward home
8. inward: moving toward the inside; on the inside; of the mind or spirit VIII
IX 1. As to what actually happened to the headquarters
2. As to where I should go to further my study
3. as to how different they are and why we want to keep them both
4. as to whether or nor I should remain at the college working as a teaching assistant
5. as to whether the old hard ware is to be replaced by new hardware X 1. There is no use trying to help those who do not help themselves 2. it is no good trying to solve the issue between the nations by means of war
3. There is no sense refusing to accept it
4. There is no point in having a load of money
5. there is no harm in spending some time thinking about what sort of career you might wish to
37. An interesting question therefore remains as to how far Microsoft can go with Gates as its
38. There ’ s/It ’ s no use complaining since nothing ever changes as the result of a complaint.
What ’ s important is to take measures to prevent similar events from happiness.
39. Learn to accept the fact that some people you thought were friends turn out to be enemies.
40. As you would expect from the book ’ s title, there are many references to what kind of man
41. The prosperity of the company stems from hardworking and thrifty of the entire staff.
42. He said nothing at all on the subject of the play which was put on for the first time Saturday
9 C 10 A 11 D 12 B 13 D
14 C 15 A 16 C 17 D 18 C 19 A 20 D