Unit 1 p23-25 第2,3 题
I. Rules and regulations should be strictly followed;no one is supposed to compromise on safety standards.
2.She can' tblame others.She must pay for her self-induced bli ndn ess.
3. He steered the boat carefully between the rocks.
4. An exam iner must have some kno wledge in testi ng;otherwise he cannot frame his questions clearly.
5. His last remark demonstrated his lack of knowledge on this subject.
6. Finally the police had to employ force to break up the crowd.
7. He claims that the new teaching approach helps to promote students ' creative ability.
8. The teachers were most impressed by your performanee in the exam .Your scored 98 marks whereas most of your classmates failed.
9. Among all the workers in terviewed every one agreed that Martin had made an important contribution to the company ' s success.
10.1 know you did it deliberately ,just to annoy me.
II. We should try our best to help those who are in financial difficulty and cannot pay their tuition fees on time.
12. The fast economic growth of our country has attracted the atte ntio n of many econo mists,who all thi nk that is a miracle.
1. Being a mother of two young kids,Sarah always makes a point of spending as much times as she can with them.
2. I looked up the word in the dictionary to refresh my memory of its exact meaning.
3. The chairman warned yesterday that a pay rise for teachers would lead to job cuts.
4. Realizing that his retirement（退休）was near at hand ,he looked for some additi onal in come.
5. The famous actor keeps fit by working out for an hour every morni ng.
6. She is con sta ntly under pressure s nd it is affect ing her health.
7. Last but not least l would like to thank all the people who have give n us un selfish assista nee throughout these years.
8. We ve been trying to get back to you,Tom,but we think we took your nu mber down in correctly.
9. In addition to giving a general introduction to computer scie nce,the course also provides practical experie nee.
10. All the stude nts were involved in mak ing costumes and sce nery for the show.
11. It was a perfectly ordinary day;in other words l went to work and came home as usual.
12. Critics pointed out that the prince,on his income,should be pay ing tax.
13. Don' t say it is profitless to do this.The effort will pay off in the long run.
The judge asked the reporters not to disclose the n ame of the victim
2) The teacher took pains to make sure that we all un derstood what he said.
3) Rece ntly the school con ducted a survey among those stude nts w ho have atta ined academic excelle nee.
4) He said he would accept the job, so we have asked him to confir m his acceptance by writing us a letter.
5) George studies very hard. He wants to make the most of his cha n ce to lear n. 6) We can 't go. To beg in with, it '
s too cold. Besides, we' re busy.
7) It '
s about time that some one spoke up for these basic truths / facts. 8) You should be work ing in stead of lying there in bed at this time of the day. 9) ' ll jot down some notes while he ' s speaking.
10) I can' t carry the suitcase on my own; it' s too heavy.
Unit 2 p54-56
1) 1 like that sin ger a lot, but I have n
t bee n able to obtain his latest CD any where.
2) Jim said he was very confident that the project( 项目)would be successful.
3) Nowadays people prefer to communicate with one ano ther by e-mail.
4) Being tall gave him a(n) advantage over the other players.
5) He based his article on the relevant information he had gathered.
6) Role-play( 角色扮演)is helpful in develop ing com muni cati on skills.
7) Sometimes she eats a lot and sometimes nothing at all; she just g oes from one extreme to the other.
8) My trip to Australia proved to be a most enjoyable experie nee.
9) It is assumed that the Internet is an efficient means of communic atio n.
10) I' m afraid that gett ing things cha nged is a slow process
11) Traffic is terribly bad nowadays, particularly in the city center.
12) There are too many characters" this novel; could you spare a f ew minu tes and help me clear up my con fusi on?
13) Her behaviour of smok ing in public really astonished us
14) All the students are interested in his lectures; apparently he is a qualified teacher.
1) It is not that I don' like this sin ger. The fact is thatl 'm ot very fo nd of country music.
2) The cost is directly related to the amount of time spent on the pr oject.
3) The story is so interesting that I cannot help reading the next cha pter to find out what' going to happen.
4) To a certain extent it was my fault that we lost the match.
5) Girls may bring their boy friends to the party and vice versa
6) He is always ready to help others; no doubt he' be willi ng to hel p you, too.
7) The new vacc ine( 疫苗)may rid the world of one of its most terrifyi ng diseases.
8) I assume that the misunderstanding between the two sides will b
e cleared up soon.
9) You must pay $2,000;or_elsfi you will have to go to pris on.
10) We must fight polluti on and protect our en viro nment( 环境)at all costs
11) I said he would forget, and sure enough he did.
12) He cannot ride a bicycle, let alone a motorbike.
13) In his hurry to leave the room he left his gold watch on the desk
14) It ' no use worrying about Jim; he is now with his aunt who love s him and will no doubt take good care of him.
15) He wan ts to improve his En glish by read ing dicti on aries, but in my view it is not an effective method of learning.
16) I called Linda last night and asked her if the exhibition of Chines e paintings in her university was worth seeing.
1) 这个婴儿还不会爬(crawl)，更不要说走了。(let alone)
The baby can' t eve n crawl yet, let alone walk!
说谎。(claim, in one' s opinion)
Will claimed he was dining with a group of friends at the time of the murder, but in my opinion he told a lie.
(to a certain extent, relate , to , , cope with)
To a certa in exte nt the speed of read ing is closely related to read
ing skills; and with read ing skills you can cope with outside class read ing
4）你检查一下引擎（engine）看看出了什么问题好吗？（take a look）
Can you take a look at the engine to see what' s wrong?
5) 有些人想当然地认为日语(Japa nese中的每一个词在汉语中都
有对应的词语。(assume, equivale nt)
Some people assume that there is a Chinese equivalent for every Ja panese word.
We have passed all relevant information on to the police.
的。(it's no use)
There is no use asking me any more questions about that matter be cause I won't answer.
8) 事先没有仔细阅读合同(co ntract)就签了名是吉姆的错误。
(on one' s part)
It was a mistake on Jim '
s part to sign the contract without reading it carefully.
9) 他们拒绝向我们提供所需要的全部信息。(provide , with)
They refused to provide us with all the information we need.
10) 这起事故与三年前发生的一起事故极为相似。(similar to)
This accident is very similar to the one that happened three years ag o.
11) 这部影片是根据莎士比亚的戏剧改编的。(base on) The film is based on a play by Shakespeare.
定比别人更有优势。(have an advantage over)
If you have a good comma nd of En glish and computer skills, you will surely have an adva ntage over others in finding a job.
Unit 3 p83-84
1) There was a(n)awkward moment when she didn ' know whether to shake his hand or kiss his cheek.
2) She breathed a sigh of relief whe n she found out she had passed her exam.
3) Pare nts should really take extra care of their babies as many accid ents actually occur at home.
4) The government has two options to reduce spending or to increa se tax.
5) The followi ng program contains sce nes that may be disturbing to
6) Whe n the doctor told her that it was only a minor case, she relea sed her husband ' arm.
7) The woma n felt panicky and she spoke almost without pausing fo r breath.
8) The policeman blew his whistle and the protesters scattered" all directi ons.
9) He put a grape into his mouth and swallowed it whole.
10) Don' t ipe your nose on your sleeve, kid —that 'w S at your ha ndkerchief 'or!
11) I took my son to the zoo as a birthday treat.
12) As I recall it was you who suggested this idea in the first place.
1) In just a few days he became well acquainted with all his new cla ssmates.
2) Jane has locked herself up in her room for the whole day. She to ok us by surprisev he n she came out with her hair dyed red.
3) Let ' s S down quietly and gather our thoughts first before the dis cussi on.
4) To my surprise, the stranger turned out to be an old friend of my mother ' s.
5) Seeing Jim weari ng a funny hat, Maggie tried hard to fight back a
desire to laugh.
6) Don' hang up on me --I need to talk to you.
7) After quarrelling with his step-father, Colin ran away and hasn ' bt een heard of ever sin ce.
8) They' Vered some one to take care of the childre n for a week.
9) Whe n I asked him how he was doing, he hemmed and hawed bef ore telling me that he had just lost his job.
10) Once a very shy boy from a small mountainous village, he turne
d into a compet
e nt engin eer in a matter o
f six years.
11) The newspaper refused to keep the facts from the public.
12) As we sat on the beach soaking up the sunshine, she started to t ell me her childhood stories.
吃惊。(keepsth. from, take sb. by surprise)
We are good friends; however, he kept such an important matter fro m me, whichtook me by surprise.
忍住了泪水。(a lump in one' s throat, fight back)
At the comme nceme nt, she felt a lump in her throat but fought bac k her tears.
科手术。(chatwith, un der con trol)
Tom chatted with me last ni ght. He told me that his disease had bee n brought un der con trol, and there was no n eed for surgery.
(run off, be worried sick)
Her parents were worried sick when they knew that she had run off the highway.
5) 她满面愁容，不知有何心事。(on one' s min d)
She looks very worried; I wonder what' s on her mind.
他悄悄地坐在礼堂(auditorium)的一角整理着思绪。(gather one' s thoughts)
He is a shy and sile nt boy. Before he went onto the stage to share hi s experie nces,he sat quietly in a corner of the auditorium, gatheri ng his thoughts.
7) 在乐队干了几年后，他又做回了独立音乐人(solo musician)，于
是他的事业又回到了原点。(come full circle, career)
After several years of work ing in a band, he has now gone back to b
eing a solomusicia n, so his career has come full circle.
(tur n in to, to one ' s relief)
To his relief his son has turned into a capable bus in essma n.
Unit 4 p114-116
1) She finds herself in conflict with her pare nts over her future care er.
2) The two parties fin ally overcame their differe nces on the matter of in terest rate (利率).
3) Some stra nge customs have survived from earlier times.
4) Please let us know if you can attend the meet ing scheduled (事先安排)for the coming Thursday.
5) She frowned with displeasure as she was reading hers on ' school report.
6) Stude nts are likely to let their mi nds wander if the teacher lectu res are dull and bori ng.
7) I always feel so guilty about not visit ing my pare nts more ofte n, b ut I do have lots of things to cope with every day.
8) The local farmers sustained heavy losses duri ng the flood seas on.
9) The n ext morning we all went out to survey the damage caused b y the fire.
10) The sudden appearanee of a tiger from the woods terrified us al l.
11) Intern ati onal stude nts are required to carry medical jnsurance a s a condition of enrollment (注册).
12) Adapting to a new culture is no easy task because there are lots of cultural differe nces to overcome.
1) The old man was sick of hav ing argume nts all the time with his wife.
2) “ You really can' imagi ne what I have gone through,” Mary said,choking backn er tears.
3) Compared with growing up in primitive societies, growing up in
today ' s worild in some ways harder.
4) When I first settled into teaching in this small town, I felt very awkward, for my n eighbors wan ted to know everyth ing about me. 5) The boys would give anything I the world to meet that football star.
6) Tom rushed into the room whe n Jane and I were in the midst of a con versatio n.
7) It ' true that his father is a world -famous movie star, but Jack
became famous in his own right
8) We didn ' p t n it like that but it worked out very well.
9) At first he found it extremely hard to fit in with his colleagues at t he new compa ny.
10) When I was in my tee ns, I gradually grew apart from my pare nts ,only to realize how wrong I was in my later years.
11) I ' m sorry to hear that you '
re suffering from a severe cold. No wonder you did not turn up at th e party yesterday.
12) It is not a healthy habit staying up too late.
13) I was annoyed with my mother '
s tight control over me and ended up shouting at her one day.
14) The boy was scared oG is mother because she would always sco ld(责怪)him if he did anything wrong.
15) Because of my careless ness, I soon found mvself n trouble agai n and then I realized that what my mother had said was right.
16) He is not a very resp on sible pers on .For instance he promised to come to our meet ing, but n ever eve n resp on ded whe n we in vited him.
1) 很多老师不赞同这种做法。(frow n on)
Many teachers frowned on this practice.
An old man glared at me whe n I was tryi ng to cut across the law n.
3) 当我提到我的父亲时，她的脸上露出了认出我的笑容。(recog niti on)
When I mentioned my father, she showed a smile of recognition on her face.
(whereas, stubbor n, recall)
My firstborn was quite obedient, whereas my younger child was ver y stubbor n. I can still recall now how the youn ger child in sisted on g oing abroad to study after he fini shed his sec on dary school.
Countries in South East Asia sustained great losses when the tsunam
i struck the area.
6) 每当做母亲的拿弟弟跟哥哥作比较，弟弟就要抗议。(compare with, protest)
Every time the mother tries to compare the younger brother with hi s elder brother, the younger one will protest.
7) 当他初到这个新学校的时候，发现自己与其他同学格格不入。(fit in with)
He found himself unable to fit in with his classmates when he first c ame to this school.
The fury on her face terrified me. I dared not say no to her again.
(no wonder, end up in trouble)
No wonder you ended up in trouble. You never followed your parent
10) 他花了整整两年的时间才慢慢适应了这个新环境。(adapt to)
It took him two years to adapt to the new environment.