1对于网络课程，学生不仅可以选择何时何地学习， 在回答问题之前他们还可以有时间思考答案。 (not only... but also...)
Not only can students choose when and where to learn for an online course, but they can also take time to think through answers before making a reply.
She is excited by the idea of online learning while he considers it meaningless and useless.
3. 与以英语为母语的人交谈是非常有益的体验，从中我们能学到许多东西。(communicate with)
Communicating with native English speakers is a very rewarding experience from which we can learn a lot.
4. 如今，越来越多的人可以利用互联网查找他们需要的信息。(have access to)
Today, more and more people have access to the Internet through which they look for the information they need.
5. 他要她放弃工作在家照顾孩子，但是她觉得这个要求太过分了。(give up)
He wants her to give up working and stay home to look after the children. She feels, however, that this is too much for her.
6. 既然我们已经学完这门课程，就应该多做些复习。(now that)
Now that we have finished the course, we shall start doing more revision work.
1. I'll never forget the teacher who showed me that learning a foreign language could be fun and rewarding. Were it not for him, I would not be able to speak English as well as I do now.
2. No other language lets you experience the cultures of the world like English. With a strong knowledge of the English language, you can have wonderful cultural adventures.
3Instead of only writing compositions about the subjects that your teacher has given you, do something enjoyable, like writing emails to a friend.
4. Distance learning courses are courses in which the instructor communicates with students using computer technology.
5. English is not only the most useful language in the world, but it is also one of the easiest languages to learn and to use.
6. Distance learning courses give students greater freedom of time management, but these classes require more self-discipline than other classes.
1. 当她就要关掉音乐时，她父亲冲进她的房间，朝着她喊道: "难道你就不能把音乐关小一点?" (Use "as" for introducing a clause for an action happening at the same time.)
As she was about to turn off the music, her father burst into he room and shouted at her, “Can’t you turn down the music a little bit?”
2. 酒吧的老板一直在看那姑娘跳舞，一面却假装没有看。(Use 'while +V-ing' structure)
the owner of the bar kept watching the girl dancing while pretending not to
3. 桑迪如此喜欢摇滚音乐以至不顾父亲的反对而将音量放大。(appeal to)
Rock music appealed to Sandy so much that she turned it up, paying no attention to her father’s objection.
4. 像往常一样，当他的父母不喜欢他的穿着时，便开始唠叨他。(as usual)
As usual, when his parents don’t like what he wears, they start bugging him
5. 在会上，他们讨论了如何保持师生间的沟通渠道畅通。(keep... open)
At the meeting they discussed how to keep the lines of communication open between teachers and students.
6. 一想到这些年幼的男孩和女孩被父母强迫沿街讨钱我就生气。(make one's blood boil)
It makes my blood boil to think of these young boys and girls who are forced by their parents to beg for money along the streets.
1. I suppose teenagers walking around town with tattoos and piercings all over their bodies are expressing themselves.
2. The Internet gives us a faster way to reach new and existing customers around the world and to keep the lines of communication widely open.
3. The problem of communication between parents and their teenage children does not only lie in the "generation gap", but also in the fact that neither side fully understands the ideas of the other side.
4. When there is this type of communication barrier between parents and children, the big issues teenagers face can become bigger.
5. It's not unusual for teenagers to go through a phase when they feel ashamed of their parents, afraid that they might not live up to their friends' standards.
6For example, teenagers want to stay out till all hours of the night, but when it comes to getting up in the morning in time for classes, it's a different story.
1. 即使报酬并不优厚, 我还是决定接受那个新职位。(even though)
I have decided to accept the new post, even though the job is not very well paid.
2. 这项工作在实际开始干之前，一直被认为是十分简单的。(until + non-finite clause)
The job has been taken to be very simple until actually started.
3. 既然你计划移居加拿大， 你就必须努力适应冬季的严寒天气。(now that; adjust to)
Now that you are planning to move to Canada, you must try to adjust to cold weather in winter.
4. 他承诺帮助我们买下那幢房子,，但有点勉强。(with reluctance)
He promised to help us to buy the house, but with a little reluctance.
5. 这是一次重要的会议，请务必不要迟到。(see to)
This is an important meeting. Please see to it that you are not late for it.
6. 他是个有经验的商人，做国际贸易已有好几年了。(engage in)
He is experienced businessman who has engaged in foreign trade for quite a few years.
1. He made up his mind to talk to the girl about his plan, even though he knew she might very well refuse to listen.
2. Once off that long High Street, he found himself in some very poor parts of the town.
3. When hearing the song, I couldn't help crying and remembering those difficult days.
4. Finding the right balance between work and play is necessary for a person who wants to lead a healthy life.
5. My first boss was a really nasty person, who seemed to enjoy making life difficult for everyone. I didn't work for him long before leaving.
6. Will you please see to it that this work is finished by the end of the week? The head office is considering sending you to London on important business.
1. 她如此专心地读那本书，以至于有人进来她也没意识到。(so... that, be absorbed in, not conscious of)
she was so absorbed in reading the book that she was not conscious of someone coming in.
2. 他第一次会议就差不多迟到了一小时，给大家留下了一个很糟糕的印象。(Use a "V-ing" structure)
He was late for almost an hour for the first meeting, leaving a bad impression on everyone.
体动作和态度对他们作出判断。(consciously or unconsciously, make up one's mind)
Consciously or unconsciously, we make up our minds about people through their eyes, faces, bodies, and attitudes.
4. 周教授一生都致力于语言教学事业。(be committed to)
Professor Zhou was committed to the cause of language teaching all his life.
5. 许多指导性的书籍都会建议: 要想给人留下好印象，其诀窍在于始终如一地保持最佳的自我。(consistently, at one's best)
Many how-to books advise you that if you want to make a good impression, the trick is to be consistently you, at your best.
6. 媒体有时会传递含混不清的信息，但大多数人相信亲眼所见胜于耳闻。(mixed messages, over)
The media sometimes sends mixed messages, but most people believe what they see over what they hear.
1. Professor Smith's lecture on body language was so important that all of the students took it seriously.
2. Realizing it wasn't her fault, the chairman smiled at her to lighten the atmosphere.
3. She was so angry that she threw my cup on the floor, breaking it into pieces.
4. By reading his body language, you can tell whether he is being truthful with you or if he is just giving you an excuse.
5. No matter what people are saying to you, remember that sometimes "actions can speak louder than words".
6. Body movements are unconscious forms of expressions and they can convey certain information to the audience.
1我希望我们的努力对预防艾滋病有所帮助。(Use an attributive clause)
I hope that the effort that we’ve made will be of some use to the battle against AIDS.
Despite all the efforts form the local organizations in the battle against AIDS, the number of people in rural areas diagnosed with AIDS has been increasing.
3. 请把电视关掉，因为噪音会使她分心，无法专心做作业。(distract sb. from sth.)
Please turn off the TV, because the noise will distract her from her homework.
4. 由于缺乏资金和必要设备，这家公司过了很长时间才实施提高产品质量的计划。(lack of)
It was a long time before the company implemented the program to improve the quality of its goods because of lack of money and necessary equipment.
门课程前，你最好对它有所了解。 (sign up for)
You’d better learn something about the course before signing up for it.
6. 该政策对推动当地经济发展起着越来越重要的作用。(play a role)
The policy is playing a more and more important role in promoting the development of local economy.
1. The patient's immune system would reject the new heart as a foreign object.
2. Some people say that many of us eat so badly that we suffer mental and physical damage because of both vitamin and mineral deficiency.
3. Biomedical research will enable many individuals infected with HIV to live longer, more comfortable lives.
4. The central government has published a five-year action plan meant to encourage all parts of society to join in AIDS prevention and control.
5. Disease symptoms do not usually appear until six to ten years after a person is infected with HIV.
6. For years, the world stared at the spreading AIDS disaster and argued whether effective AIDS care could ever be practical in poor countries.
1. 爆炸后五分钟警察就到了车站，记者也到了。(Use "so" to introduce an inverted sentence)
The police got to the station five minutes after the explosion, and so did the reporters.
2. 即使你不同意她的观点，她的话也是值得一听的。(even if)
Even if you disagree with her, she is worth listening to.
3. 负责调查的官员只给新闻记者提供了一些事实真相。 (nothing but)
The news reporters were given nothing but bare facts by the officials in charge of the investigation.
4. 这个房子装修得很好，但窗帘的颜色与整体风格不太相配。(go with)
The room was well decorated, but the color of the curtain did not go well with the overall style.
5. 每次去我丈夫出生的地方，我们总是一家家地拜访他的亲戚。(make the rounds)
Whenever we go back to the place where my husband was born, we always make the rounds of his relatives.
6. 与他的希望相反，他女朋友的父母不像他父母那样平易近人。(contrary to)
Contrary to his hope, his girlfriend’s parents are not as approachable as his parents.
1. I asked quite a few waiters, who said nothing but smiled at me, before the message registered that my English was not good enough.
2. The university president was so angry at the dean that he went a step further and removed him from his post.
3. If you ask the question in front of the kid's friends, he may say "no" even if he wants to say "yes".
4. If you want to graduate with a degree, you should stay away either from online games or from part-time work.
5. Although he hasn't received a college education himself, he looks down on those who have no college degree.
6. He suggested quite a few ideas about the managing of the company, but none of them held water.
1. 警察放大了失踪女孩的照片，这样他们能容易认出她。(Use "have + object + V-ed" structure)
Suggested answer: The police had the photograph of the missing girl enlarged so that they could recognize her easily.
2. 我喜欢乘公共汽车上班，而不是自己驾车。那天上午也不例外。(rather than, no exception)
Suggested answer: When I go to work, I prefer to take a bus rather than drive and that morning was no exception.
3. 这位老人见到自己的孙女走进屋时站了起来，竟意想不到地移动了几步，就好像他能行走了似的。(get to one's feet, as if)
Suggested answer: When he saw his granddaughter coming into the house (Seeing his granddaughter coming into the house), the old man got to his feet and moved several steps unexpectedly as if he could walk by himself.
4. 当时我们的注意力全集中在那幅画上，没有注意到四周有什么异样情况，所以也不能提供任何额外的细节。(focus on, additional details)
Suggested answer: At that time we focused our attention on that painting without noticing anything unusual around us, and we can't offer any additional details.
Suggested answer: The two robbers' methods suggested they might be the same men who had committed a number of robberies in the area over the past few months.
6. 无论这个问题多么令人讨厌，它都是我们必须正视的问题。(no matter how)
Suggested answer: It's a question we have to face no matter how unpleasant it is.
1. Experience told him that a woman's natural instinct was to defend herself rather than hurt the attacker.
Suggested answer: 经验告
2. The room is looking much better since she had the walls repainted.
Suggested answer: 自从她把墙重新粉刷了后，这房间好看多了。
3. Teenage crime was out of control in many parts of the country, and this city was no exception.
Suggested answer: 在这个国家的许多地方，青少年犯罪已经失去了控制，这个城市也不例外。
4. Weeks after the robbery, he was afraid to go outside, fearing that he would come face to face with the robber a second time.
Suggested answer: 抢劫案发生后的几周，他不敢出门，害怕自己再次与劫匪面对面遭遇。
5. The victim described to the policemen how a man, who suddenly emerged from the shrub, robbed her.
Suggested answer: 受害者向警察描述她是怎样突然遭到一个从灌木丛中出来的人抢劫的。
6. For many Americans today, weekend work has unfortunately become the rule rather than the exception.