Unit 1 Growing Up
Part II Language Focus
7.off and on
9.associate 10.finally 11.turn in 12.tackle
1.has been assigned to the newspaper’s Pari s office.
2.was so extraordinary that I didn’t know whether to believe him or not.
3. a clear image of how she would look in twenty years’ time.
4.gave the command the soldiers opened fire.
5.buying bikes we’ll keep turning them out.
1.reputation, rigid, to inspire
2.and tedious, What’s more, out of date ideas
https://www.sodocs.net/doc/4316797020.html,pose, career, avoid showing, hardly hold back
6.off and on
1.As it was a formal dinner party, I wore formal dress, as Mother told me to.
2.His girlfriend advised him to get out of/get rid of his bad habit of smoking before
it took hold.
3.Anticipating that the demand for electricity will be high during the next few
months, they have decided to increase its production.
4.It is said that B ill has been fired for continually violating the company’s safety
rules. /Bill is said to have been fired for continually violating the company’s safety rules.
5.It is reported that the government has taken proper measures to avoid the
possibility of a severe water shortage. /The local government is reported to have taken proper measures to avoid the possibility of a severe water shortage.
Susan lost her legs because of / in a car accident. For a time, she didn’t know how to face up to the fact that she would never (be able to) walk again.
One day, while scanning (through) some magazines, a true story caught her eye /she was attracted by a true story. It gave a vivid description of how a disabled girl became a writer. Greatly inspired, Susan began to feel that she, too, would finally be bale to lead a useful life.
1. Fill in the gaps with words or phrases given in the box.
1) absolutely 2) available 3) every now and then 4) are urging/ urged 5) destination 6) mostly 7) hangs out 8) right away 9) reunion 10) or something 11) estimate 12) going ahead
1) It seemed that his failure in the examination was still on his mind.
2) He was completely choked up by the sight of his team losing in the final minutes of the game.
3) She was so lost in study that she forgot to have dinner.
4) Something has come up and I am afraid I won’t be able to accomplish the project on time.
5) The cost of equipping the new hospital was estimated at $2 million.
3. Complete the sentences.
1) were postponed the awful is estimated
2) reference not available an kind of
3) not much of a teacher skips go ahead
1.more or less
2.kind of/ sort of
4.kind of/ sort of
5.more or less
9.Mostly 10.postponing 11.absolutely
1.Translate the sentences.
1) Half an hour h ad gone by, but the last bus hadn’t come yet. We had to walk home.
2) Mary seems to be very worried about the Chinese exam because she hasn’t learned the texts by heart.
3) Since the basketball match has been postponed, we might as well visit the museum.
4) He stayed in Australia with his parents all the way through WWⅡ.
5) Since I graduated from Nanjing University in 1985, I have kind of lost touch with my classmates.
2.Translate the passage.
It is not easy to keep in touch with friends far away. This is true in my case.
It has been a couple of years since I left my old neighborhood and all the friends there. I have been meaning to write to them but things come up and I just don’t seem to find the time. They are always on my mind, however, and I think I will certainly make an effort to keep up correspondence with them in the future.
1) brief 2) in terms of 3) cut off 4) tend
5) anyway 6)precise 7)in the form of 8) initiative
9) convey 10) in two minds 11) concept 12) grasp
1) has ensured their team a place in the Cup final.
2)medical workers’ responsibility to heal the wounded and rescue the dying.
3)entertain as well as educate the learner.
4)can do without air and water.
5)is likely to be held in June.
1)lies in contact between
2)basis of is likely sufficient at the moment
3)the steady will be highly
II Word Formation
8 enrich IIIAntonyms
1)majority 2) accpeted 3)increased 4)weaknesses
5) local 6) late 7)wrong 8)false
1)highly 2)bring about 3)evident 4)rate 5)sufficient
6)put across 7)proportion 8)Hence 9)ensure
1)understand 2)travel 3)practical 4)use 5)Another
6)likely 7)affect 8)developments 9)supply 10) Someday
1) As is predicted by scientists, global pollution has become one of the most serious problems humans are faced with.
2) Competition for these jobs is very tough –we have five times as many applicants this year as we did last year/ there are five times as many applicants this year as there were last year.
3) As the facts show, educational programs need to fit into the national plan for economical development.
4) The car burns too much gas, and moreover, the price is almost twice as much as I intend to pay.
5) To understand a great international event, we, first of all, need to consider the historical and political background to it.
2 It is hard to imagine how our forefathers could do without so many conveniences that modern technology has brought about. Back then only a small proportion of the population enjoyed the comforts of life. The majority didn’t even have sufficient food, not to speak of/ let alone the privilege of being educated. However, many people blame modern technology for creating so many problems. They want to slow down the rate of progress. But no one can put the clock back.
1) wreck 2) balance 3) approaching 4) handle
5) discard 6) Above all 7) diet 8) do with
9) checked on 10) cleaned up 11) weekly 12) principles
1) to look for survivors were abandoned after it had been/was determined that all the people in the sunken ship had died.
2) was amazed that Bob left a well-paid job travel around the world.
3) for a loan has been turned down by many a bank as her business is small and she could provide no guarantee.
4) express her thoughts with precision, so people often misunderstand her.
5) will weaken our determination to modernize our country in the shortest possible time.
1) for sale hunting for be amazed by
2) become skilled handle their loans
3)character by calling on he passed away
II Confusable words
1.1) personal 2) personnel
2.1) sometime 2) Sometimes 3)some time 4) sometime