1. As she was about to walk into the elevator she noticed two men already aboard.
2. Her hesitation about joining them in the elevator was all too obvious now. Her face was flushed. 要不要进去和他们同乘一部电梯？她迟疑不决的态度已经太过明显了。她涨得满脸通红。
3. The one who said it had a little trouble getting the words out. He was trying mightily to hold in a belly laugh.
4. How do you apologize to two perfectly respectable gentlemen for behaving as though they were going to rob you?
5. The woman brushed herself off. She pulled herself together and went downstairs for dinner with her husband.
1. Tom Long _____________________________ (向花园里的一草一木道别) as he wept tears. bid goodbye to everything in the garden
2. She was clear-headed (头脑清醒的) and ____________________________(从不出洋相). never made a spectacle of herself
3. He looked at the funny-looking man, ___________(咬着嘴唇强忍住不笑出声).
biting his lip
4. Gazing at his clipboa rd, he murmured, “It ______________________ (看来你恐怕不行了).”doesn’t look like you’re going to make it
5. ______________________ (幸存者都无比惊恐) after the tragedy of a disastrous plane crash. Panic consumed the survivors
1. The father just laughed and shook his head, showing no faith in his son or his dream.
2.The kids at school also made fun of him, so much so that he stopped sharing his thoughts and desires and kept them hidden within his heart…
3. It seemed that the world’s thumb was pressing the boy
down throughout his adolescence.
4. They were surprised, to say the least, and wished him well, while never admitting they were wrong.
5. The harbormaster waved his arms and yelled for the young man to stop, that there was a storm coming.
1. ___________________________ (他们没有取笑他), they became touchingly protective. Instead of making fun of him
2. _________________________________ (等到二月份一切定下来之后), we will announce if his next work will be a movie or TV drama.
When all things are finalized in February
3. ______________________________ (所有准备工作正在进行中) to meet the typhoon and for the fishermen to dock at the port.
Every preparation was being made
4. Prew had a bad day: he lost his cell phone on the way back, then he had a bad fall, and when he found his wallet missing, ________________________ (他就再也忍不住哭了起来).
that was the last straw and he began to cry
5. _________________ (成年后), he took a job selling newspapers at a Brooklyn subway exit. When he was/came of age
1. And we were not going to live in a dorm, no sir, we figured that we were smart, mature fellows and so we arranged to rent a house.
2. It reduced the value of the bathroom for the rest of us, yet we got no compensation.
3. The rest of us picked up after Charlie, but we got no compensation for doing so.
4. The rest of us would be waiting around to use the bathroom, pleading, urging, and begging.
5. Those who take, monopolize, and pollute, are imposing costs on the rest of us and on the economy in general.
1. Although the cost was reduced, ____________ (但还是没有用).
it did no good
2. _________________________ (他昨天确实来过这儿); I saw him in the office.
He did come here yesterday
3. Electricity flows through a wire, __________________________ (就像水流过水管一样).
just as water flows through a pipe
4. As an important genetic index, blood type __________________________ (已经得到了广泛运用) in the scientific research on sports.
has been brought into broad use
5. The rule should be vetoed because it ___________________ (限制了我们对公共设施的使用). restricted our access to public facilities
1. The old fellow grabbed my tray with a smile and was off, limping heavily on one leg that was obviously shorter than the other.
2. Pulling back my chair as I hurriedly retrieved three one-dollar bills from my pocket, he smiled and said, “God bless you.”
3. I was curious to see if this was a new service the airport had put in place.
4. At that point, one of them would disengage from the group, clear any trash left on the table, wipe it down, and return to their co-workers.
5. I never once suspected Mr. Foster was making a play for tips.
1.Standing by and chatting with her fellow waitresses, she __________________ (毫无热情地等着他用完餐).
was waiting without enthusiasm for him to finish his meal
2. _______________________ (一边高喊欢笑，一边像蝴蝶一样翩翩起舞), she waited for the wedding moment.
Cheering, laughing and dancing like a butterfly
3. I ______________ (深深地被这个女孩打动了) who looked so weak, yet ran like the wind in the race.
was deeply impressed by the girl
4. _________________ (不管你给不给小费), she just served you warm-heartedly with smiles. Whether you gave her tips or not
5. Faced with the big problem at work, _________________ (我们迫切需要其他部门的帮助). we are in urgent need of help from the other departments
1. That’s especially true of the majority of high school graduates who go on to college or trade school, where people commonly get student loans and credit cards, even if they don’t have jobs.
2. But critics worry that corrosive social effects result from the habit of taking on debt before one has sufficient income to repay.
3. The economy boomed, MTV broadcasted from exotic spring-break locales, Friends portrayed young adults living comfortably in roomy apartments in Manhattan.
4. Some worry that all this debt forces grads to forsake exciting but low-paying jobs in favor of dreary but well-paying jobs.
5. Some people make a loftier claim: that debt forces people to grow up.
1. T he belief ________________ (贷款利率将上调) in the near future has not been confirmed.
that the interest on the loan will increase
2. D ue to inflation, ____________________ (物价飞涨).
the price skyrocketed
3. T hey felt that their leader __________________ (在他们需要的时候离弃了他们).
forsook them in the hour of their need
4. I t seems that even though ______________ (油价正在下滑), the economic recession is suppressing driving.
the oil price is going down
5. A fter the Duke’s death, his eldest son _______________ (要求继承爵位).
made a claim of the title