★精读 3 翻译
1. 她似乎与新同学相处不好。(get along with)
She doesn't seem to get along with her new classmates.
2. 我与玛丽失去联系多年，但昨天我与她在电话里联系上了。(out of touch, get in touch)
I'd been out of touch with Mary for years, but I managed to get in touch by phone yesterday.
3. 那老兵喜欢对每一位来访者炫耀他的勋章。(show off)
The veteran enjoys showing off his medals to everyone who visits him.
4. 她丈夫似乎非常反对她出国。(opposed to)
Her husband seems very much opposed to her going abroad.
5. 因为托马斯不安心工作，他的父母非常担忧。(settle down)
As Thomas couldn't settle down in his job, his parents were very worried.
6. 我口袋里总装着各种各样的小东西。(bits and pieces)
I always have all kinds of bits and pieces in my pockets.
7. 她母亲通过一些私人关系使她进入商界。(pull strings)
Her mother pulled a few strings to get her into the business circle.
8. 我希望这些菜合你的胃口。(to somebody's liking)
I hope the food is to your liking.
9. 那些男孩太吵闹，我把他们骂了一顿。(tell off)
I told the boys off for making so much noise.
1. 他决定立即着手这项复杂的工程。(resolve, work on)
He resolved to work on the complicated project immediately.
2. 他们看见一位老人被对面驶来的汽车撞倒。(knock over)
They saw an old man knocked over by a car coming from the opposite direction.
He walked unsteadily / stumbled along in the dark, groping for the light-switch.
4. 病了3个月之后，他几乎站也站不稳了。(rise to one's feet)
After three month's illness, he found it difficult to rise to his feet again.
5. 由于人手不足，无法按期完成任务。(a shortage of)
Owing to a staff shortage, the task could not be fulfilled on schedule.
6. 在经济萧条期间，公司遭遇到财政困难。(run into)
During the period of depression, the company was running into financial difficulties.
7. 那盲女上了拥挤的公共汽车，乘客们给她让出了地方。(make room for)
When the blind girl got on the crowded bus, the passengers made room for her.
8. 他终于抓住了悬崖上的岩石，止住了下滑。(hold on to)
He at last managed to hold on to the rock on the cliff and stopped himself from slipping.
1. 母亲立刻派汤姆去叫医生。(send ... for)
Mother immediately sent Tom for the doctor.
2. 由于糖用完了，她没做成蛋糕。(run out of)
She failed to bake the cake as she had run out of sugar.
I know how desperately busy you are now.
4. 汤姆说错了话，惹得全班学生哄堂大笑。(roar with)
The whole class roared with laughter at Tom's slip of the tongue.
5. 针、剪刀这类东西必须放在小孩够不着的地方。(out of ... reach)
Such things as needles and scissors should be kept out of the reach of children.
The soldiers stood under the burning / scorching sun, drenched with sweat.
7. 他最后终于回到了他的祖国。(in the end)
He returned to his own country / motherland in the end.
1. Obviously I have overestimated my sense of direction. Next time, I will remember to bring along a map with me.
2. 母亲对她那个自私不孝的儿子彻底失望了。(be disillusioned)
2. The mother is now thoroughly disillusioned with her selfish unfilial son.
3. 她很不善于见什么人说什么话。(have no knack for)
3. She has no knack for saying the right thing at the right time.
4. 从一开始他就和足球结下了不解之缘。(be meant for)
4. He and football were meant for each other from the start.
5. My boss assigned me the secretarial work for the first month.
6. 驾驶员违反交通规则，除了罚款之外，还有别的处罚办法吗？(alternative to)
6. If a driver breaks traffic rules, are there any alternatives to a fine?
7. 他老是笨手笨脚，因而常常遭人嘲笑。(subject to)
7. Being a clumsy person, he often subjects himself / is often subjected to ridicule.
1. 那天晚上詹姆斯(James)和你一起吃晚饭了吗？(in question)
1. Did James have supper with you on the night in question?
2. The coach was satisfied with the ultimate victory of the match.
3. 为了排除各国人民交往中的语言障碍，许多语言学家都在研究新的世界语。(embark on)
3. To remove the linguistic barriers in communication among the peoples of the world, linguists have embarked on the study of a new universal language.
4. 合资企业的出现使我们有了更多接触外国人的机会。（contact with)
4. The emergence of joint-venture enterprises has increased our opportunities to have contact with foreigners.
5. 妈妈嘱咐他收拾起桌上的零碎东西，把它们放进抽屉里。(bits and pieces)
5. Mother asked him to gather up the bits and pieces of his belongings from the desk and put them in the drawer.
6. 因为一句小小的玩笑，他们之间发生了一场争吵。(arise out of)
6. Their argument arose out of a small joke.
7. The picture is too blurred for me to identify the girl in it.
8. If someone claims to have the ability to communicate with ghosts, would you believe it?
1. 毕业后，他先是做工程师，然后当了厂长。(to start with)
1. After graduation, he became an engineer to start with, then the director of a plant.
2. 我想我还是接收他的邀请为好，因为你不能老是拒绝别人。(may as well)
2. I think I may as well accept his invitation, for you can't keep saying no to people.
3. 为了安全起见，车上每个人都必须系上安全带。(for the sake of)
3. Everyone in the car must wear a seat belt for the sake of safety.
4. 把温度降到摄氏零度，水就会变成冰。(reduce to)
4. Reduce the temperature to zero degree centigrade and water will freeze / turn into ice.
5. 他被指控犯盗窃罪。事实上，他是无辜的。(be accused of)
5. He was accused of theft. But actually he was innocent.
6. The heroine's performance is a little exaggerated, but otherwise it is an excellent movie.
7. 有时大人也会上小孩的当。(fall for)
7. Sometimes even adults will fall for children's tricks.
8. 如果她和你分手，那是你活该，谁让你老对她撒谎呢？(serve somebody right)
8. You lied to her again and again. So if she leaves you, it serves you right.
1. My father was very cross at my not learning business from him.
2. 这些孩子虽然现在很调皮，但他们长大后会明白，做坏事是逃不了惩罚的。(with impunity)
2. Although these kids are very naughty now, they will grow up one day understanding that creating trouble for others would not get away with impunity.
3. 她请人把东西用一块蓝布包好，装进箱子。(have ... wrapped)
3. She had her things wrapped in a piece of blue cloth and put into the suitcase.
4. 我下个月回家度假。(on leave)
4. I'll be home on leave next month.
5. 我们费了九牛二虎之力将门弄开。(have ... job to do)
5. We had a terrible job to open the door.
6. Unknown to them, she was nearby.
7. The criminal was deprived of all political rights.
8. 对不起,是我错了。(in the wrong)
8. I'm sorry, I'm in the wrong.
1. 春天和秋天我都喜欢，但是我更喜欢春天。(prefer over)
1. I prefer spring to autumn though I love both seasons.
2. I believe that electric cars will one day supplant petrol-driven ones.
3. 他们提醒他攀登喜马拉雅山很危险，可他偏不听。(warn of)
3. They warned him of the danger of climbing the Himalayas, but he wouldn't listen.
4. 老师告诉学生，他们的前途取决于这次考试成绩。(hinge on)
4. The teacher told his students that their future prospects hinged on their performance in this examination.
5. Everybody thinks that she deserves the title "Best Actress of the Year" she has been awarded.
6. 这个孩子每次碰到困难都去找妈妈，而不是自己想办法。(turn to)
6. Every time the girl came across a problem, she would turn to her mother for a solution, rather than trying to solve it herself.
7. After her husband died, she continued to nurture her three daughters.
8. 现在人们学英语，似乎不是在学习一门有实用价值的语言，而是在学一种语法。(less... than...)
8. It seems that a lot of people learn English less as a practical language than as a grammar.
1. The business of this company falls into two categories: commercial electric appliances and household electric appliances.
2. The farm yields enough crops to meet our needs.
3. Through biotechnology, a new type of tomato has been bred which is resistant to disease.
4. He managed to make the boss see the relevance of what he was doing to the company's business.
5. I'm very fond of Hemingway's novels, Farewell to Arms in particular.
6. The sofa, when unfolded, can be converted into a bed.
7.因为尚在摸索阶段，我不得不严格按计划来做。(feel one's way)
7. I have to stick to the plan as I'm still feeling my way.
8. He finally succumbed to temptation and had another drink.
1. 在传统戏剧《白蛇传》里，白蛇以美女化身来到人间，爱上了许仙，与之结为夫妻。(in the shape of) 1. In the traditional Chinese opera, The White Snake, the white Snake comes down to the earth in the shape of a beautiful girl and falls in love with Xuxian to whom she gets married later.
2. 她一看到血就会头晕。(at the sight of)
2. She feels dizzy at the sight of blood.
3. He kept drowsing off in class this morning.
4. He related the whole story of the long-standing dispute between the two families.
5. 她一想起她那死于车祸的孩子就泪水涟涟。(at the thought of)
5. She would burst into tears at the thought of her child killed in a traffic accident.
6. 我突然明白他原来是想帮助我。(dawn on)
6. It dawned on me that he was actually trying to help me.
7. 他们三人藏身的岩洞仅有两米高。(no more than)
7. The cave for the three of them to hide in was no more than two metres high.
1. 我们的左侧有条路直通山脚。(lead to)
1. There is a road on our left leading straight to the foot of the mountains.
2. 为了减肥，她只吃蔬菜，其它一概不吃。(nothing but)
2. In order to lose weight, she eats nothing but vegetables.
3. We are sorry to inform you that we cannot employ you now. If there is a position vacant / a vacancy in the future, we will contact you.
4. 我们无法按时完成这项任务，因为我们人手不足。(short of)
4. We cannot complete the project as scheduled because we are short of staff.
5. 孩子们将来一定会意识到，父母的唠叨是为了他们好。(for one's good)
5. Children will understand one day that parents' nagging is for their good.
6. 当她得知女儿被找到了时，禁不住放声大哭了起来。(burst out)
6. She burst out crying when she heard that her lost daughter had been found.
7. 如果你有困难，可以随时来找我。(hesitate to do)
7. If you have any difficulties, don't hesitate to come to see me.
1. 我们都被这小孩的话搞糊涂了。(be bewildered)
1. We were bewildered by the kid's words.
2. Abraham Lincoln, who was of humble origin, became the 16th President of the USA.
3. 他们的国家要在短期内克服经济困难，几乎是不可能的事。(all but)
3. Their country is all but impossible to recover from its economic recession within a short period.
4. 他用钱精打细算是出了名的。(be careful with)
4. He is famous for being careful with money.
5. 成年人学习外语的困难之一是母语的干扰。(interfere with)
5. One of the reasons why it is difficult for adults to learn a foreign language is that their mother tongue often interferes with their learning.
6. The criminals tried to silence the witness with money.
7. 政府应该负起责任，解决大量工人失业的问题。(be up to)
7. It is up to the government to solve the problem of massive unemployment.
1. 她把头发盘在头上，看起来很漂亮。(pile up)
1. She looks very beautiful when she piles up her hair on top of her head.
2. The cases and bags being sold in the shops are stuffed with paper so that they look more attractive.
3. 考试前老师给每位学生一枝铅笔，因为他们必须用铅笔答题。(hand out)
3. The teacher handed out a pencil to each student before the exam as the questions were to be answered in pencil.
4. The house is totally devoid of furniture.
5. 他利用她的无知，骗取了她的信任。(take advantage of)
5. He managed to win her trust by taking advantage of her ignorance.
6. 当黄昏来临时，小贩们就会将各色各样的商品摊在地上做买卖。(lay out)
6. When evening approaches, the vendors would lay out an assortment of small articles on the ground for people to buy.
7. It is said that a new lock has been invented that can identify its owner by the smell of his / her body.
8. 他决心以优异的学习成绩来感谢老师和同学们的帮助。(in gratitude for)
8. In gratitude for the help of his teachers and classmates, he is determined to work hard and score excellent achievements.
1. 当他看到将军走过来时，立刻站起来向他敬礼。(get to one's feet)
1. At the sight of the general walking towards him, he got to his feet at once and saluted.
2. "这些钱用来做什么的？""用来帮助那些失学儿童重返校园。"(be for)
2. "What is this money for?" "It's for helping those children who have lost the chance of schooling to come back to school again."
3. 昨夜的敲门声把我吓得直哆嗦。(quiver with)
3. The knock at my door last night sent me quivering with fright.
4. I can assure you that he is a most reliable person.
5. 大家都希望他能接替即将退休的马丁先生做该系的系主任。(take over)
5. Everybody hopes that he will take over as dean of the department when Mr. Martin retires.
6. She tried her best to hide her feelings, but her eyes betrayed her longing for the prize.
7. 据说经常在太阳底下曝晒会得皮肤癌。(be exposed to)
7. It is said that people will get skin cancer if they are exposed to the sun too much.
1. 他又在说好听的了，别拿他的话当真。(lip service)
1. He is paying lip service again. Don't take his words seriously.
2. The winners were rewarded with the cup.
3. He has been teaching conscientiously for 20 years. None of his colleagues has any doubt about his commitment to the cause of education.
4. 他们嬴得了胜利，但也付出了沉重的代价。(at a price)
4. They finally won, but paid at a heavy price.
5. 考试得高分不等于聪明。(equate with)
5. Good scores in exams cannot be equated with intelligence.
6. 如果你没有接到更改时间的通知，那么会议将在十点准时召开。(to the contrary)
6. If you don't hear anything to the contrary, the meeting will begin at ten o'clock sharp.
7. Many people trapped in the cave died before the rescue party arrived.