Their argument ended when she slammed the door and left without a word.
The guests at the dinner party were slightly surprised at the commanding tone of the American.
Johnny has outgrown the fear of staying at home alone.
4. 当全部乘客都向出口处 (exit) 走去时，他却独自留在座位上，好像不愿意离开这架飞机似的。
While all the other passengers made for the exit, he alone remained in his seat as if unwilling to leave the plane.
The letter is to be handed to Dr. Wilson himself.
While she felt like joining in the argument, Nancy was too shy to open her mouth.
What do you think is the likeliest time to find him at home?
8. 猎人一看见有只狐狸从树丛中出现并向他设下 (lay) 的陷阱 (trap) 方向跑去，脸上顿时闪出了兴奋的表情。
The hunter’s face lit up with excitement as soon as he saw a fox emerge from among the bushes and run in the direction of / make for the trap he had laid.
5) go out of one's way
7) acted on
8) owe much to
9) left behind
It was suggested at the meeting that a committee of eleven be appointed to make a new constitution.
By making on-the-spot observations, the young scientists obtained first-hand information they needed in their research work.
It is very likely that he will be rejected by the army because of his bad eyesight.
4) 委员会成员在新机场最佳选址 (location) 这一问题上持有不同意见。
The committee members have conflicting opinions as to the best location of the new airport.
Henry's works of art are superior in many respects to those of his brother's. 6) 我们产品质量的稳步提高在很大程度上是由于设备有所改进。
The steady rise in the quality of our products owes much to the improvement of our equipment.
Jim would have preferred to act on his own judgment, but he didn't because as a soldier he had to obey the order.
Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a city without bikes or one without cars, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.
6) consisted of
7) attached importance
9) in common
1. She got a post as a cashier at a local bank. But she was soon fired because she proved to be incompetent.
2. It is obviously/clearly his young assistant who is running the book store. 很明显是他的年轻助手在经营这家书店。
3. No sooner had the proposal been announced at the meeting than she got to her feet to protest.
4. Bill has applied to Harvard University for a teaching assistantship, but his chances of getting it are slim.
5. Being short of funds, they are trying to attract foreign capital.
6. The room smells of stale air. It must have been vacant for a long time.
7. As far as hobbies are concerned, Jane and her sister have little in common. 就业余爱好而言，珍妮和她妹妹几乎没有什么共同之处。
8. It is self-evident that the education of the young is vital to the future of a country.