句子精炼( Sentences in Focus )
Unit 2 接待口译（机场迎宾、宾馆入住、宴会招待、参观访问）
1. This is a fantastic airport, absolutely one of the top-notch international airports.（这个机场太美了，绝对是一个顶尖的国际机场。）
2. I’m very bad with a jet-lag. But I will be all right in a couple of days.（我倒时差很慢，但两天后自然就回复了。）
3. I’d like to have a 7 o’clock morning call, breakfast sent up to my room, laundry done, some documents photocopied, an express mail sent out, and something like that.（我要早上7点钟叫醒，早餐送到我房间，衣服要熨，文件要复印，邮件要快递，诸如此类的事情需要服务。）
4. We all maneuvered successfully to get our job done, so to speak.（可以说我们每个人都成功的使我们的使命得以完成。）
5. Let’s delight ourselves completely in the foods that Mother Nature grants us.（让我们尽情享受大自然赋予我们的食物吧。）
6. 我要是没认错的话，您一定是从伦敦来的泰莱科教授吧。(You must be Prof. Tallack from London, if I’m not mistaken.)
7. 我是海通集团人力资源部经理。(I’m manager of Human Resources, the Haitong Group.)
8. 感激您不辞辛劳，从百忙之中抽空来我公司指导。(We are very grateful that you took time from your busy schedule and came to our company to give us advice.)
9. 今晚我们设宴为您洗尘。(We will host a reception dinner in your honor this evening.)
10. 我在你们的酒店预订了一间双人间，有确认函。(I have made a reservation for a double room with your hotel. And here is the confirmation letter.)
11. 提前10天预定房间可以享受8折优惠价。(You will have a good rate with 20％off when you make a reservation 10 days in advance.)
12. 我们有许多现代化的健身设备可以满足客人的不同需求。(We have many modern fitness facilities catering to the different needs of our guests.)
13. 没有凯兰女士的最后努力，现在还不知道怎样呢，恐怕我们还在谈判之中呢。(Without Ms. K eland’s last-minute effort, we would still be in the middle of nowhere, probably in the middle of negotiations, I’m afraid.)
14. 同中国其他菜系一样，“本帮菜”具有“色、香、味”三大要素，特点是注重调料的使用、食物的质地和菜的原汁原味。(Like all other Chinese regional cuisines, Ben bang cuisine takes “color, aroma and taste” as its essential quality elements. It emphasizes in particular the expert use of seasonings, the selection of raw materials with quality texture, and original flavors.)
15. 这些菜绝对是首选，你一定喜欢。别客气，请随意。(These dishes are absolutely tasters′ choice. I bet you will like them. Please help yourself to the dishes.)
16. 各位能够赏光来此共度一年中的这个美好时光，我感到非常荣幸，让我们共同举杯，祝各位身体健康，事业有成，阖家幸福。(I consider it a great honor to have you all here for this wonderful time of the year. Let us drink to the health, great career and happy family of everybody present.)
17. 我们先来鸟瞰一下整个园区吧，然后在园区内各处转悠一下，用我们的话来说就是“走马观花”。(First of all, we will take a bird’s-eye view of the Park. And then we will look around in the Park and, to use a Chinese metaphor, we will “cast a passing glance at flowers while riding on a hor seback”.)
18. 高科技园区享有国家授予的项目审批权和优惠政策，是一个与国际管理体质接轨的经济区域。(The high-tech Park is authorized by the state government to approve projects with preferential policies, operating under the management system of international standards.)
19. 园区注重产业、教育和研发的整合，为引入企业提供一条龙服务。(The Park focuses on the integration of industry, education, and R＆D and provides a stream-lined one-stop service for incoming enterprises.)
20. 为了确保环境质量，我们始终坚持“以绿引资、以资养绿”的发展战略，园区绿化率达到45％以上。(To ensure the quality of the environment, we stick steadfastly to our development strategy of “attracting inve stment with a green environment and maintaining a green environment through investment”. As a result, the Park has a green coverage of more than 45％.)
Unit 3 会谈口译（欢迎光临、投资意向、合资企业、文化差异）
1. It is my great pleasure and privilege to have received your gracious invitation and work with a distinguished group of China’s automobile specialists.（我为自己能受到贵方的友好邀请，与一组优秀的中国汽车专家合作公事而深感愉快和荣幸。）
2. A growing number of American firms have been pouring into China’s inland provinces, although coastal cities such as Shanghai and Tianjin are still among their first choices of investment with many foreign investors. （虽然上海、天津这些沿海城市任然是许多外国投资者的首选目标，但越来越多的美国公司纷纷涌入中国的内地省份。）
3. I would like to discuss with you the possibilities of establishing a joint venture with your company to manufacture progressive-scan DVD home theater systems of the latest model. （我想同您商讨一下能否与贵公司合资建立一家企业，共同生产最新款式的逐行扫描DVD家庭影院系统。）
4. I suggest that we should set up a board of directors for the management of the company and share rights and obligations as equal partners. （我建议成立董事会来监管公司的运作，并以平等的伙伴关系分享权力，承担义务。）
5. I cannot decide what exactly the phrase indicates. They failed to make any sense to me. （我难以断定这个词究竟意味这什么，我未能理解其中的含义。）
6. In our school, discussion is given top priority and seminar is the way of class. （在我们学校，讨论享有至高无上的地位，讨论就是课堂教学的主旋律。）
7. The flexible and adaptable capacity makes a popular teacher among students. （具有灵活应变才能教师最受学生欢迎。）
8. Confucianism sings high praises for individuals to uplift themselves for the benefit of communal harmony, that is, communal harmony takes precedence over individual freedom. （儒家思想强调整体和谐，强调整体和谐高于个体自由。）
9. 我希望您太太能早日与您在此团聚，我公司会支付包括国际机票在内的一切费用。(I hope your wife will soon join you here. The company will pay for all the needed expenses, including her international flight.)
10. 中央政府很重视全面对外开放，不仅开放沿海城市，也开放内地，尽可能吸引外资。(The central government focuses a lot of attention on opening the country up to the outside world in all directions, including coastal cities and interior areas.)
11. 由于外国直接在华投资可以最大限度发挥有关各方的优势，所以许多海外机构与个人投资者认为，他们在中国直接投资比同中国公司做生意更有利可图。(Because direct investment in China can maximize the strengths of all parties concerned, many overseas institutional and individual investors have found it more profitable to invest directly in China than to do trading with Chinese companies.)
12. 中国幅员辽阔，自然资源丰富，劳动力低廉，税收低，消费市场潜力大，社会环境稳定，投资政策诱人，经济回报率高。(China is known for her massive land, abundant natural resources, cheap labor, low taxation, potential consumer market, stable social environment, attractive investment policies, and high economic returns of investment.)
13. 在华投资的方式很多，你可以同中方合资办企业，也可以独资办公司，选择自己最喜欢的方式经营，但不可超越中国法律。(There is a variety of ways to invest in China. You may establish a joint venture with a Chinese partner or a company solely-funded by yourself, in which case you may manage your business in whatever way you prefer within the boundary of the Chinese laws, of course.)
14. 投资兴办合资企业时，通常外方提供资金、机械设备、先进技术和管理方法，而中方则提供土地、劳动力以及部分用于基础设施建设的资金。(When establishing a joint venture, the foreign partner usually brings into the enterprise capital funds, machinery, advanced technology and management, while the Chinese partner supplies land, labor, and a portion of the funds for the infrastructure.)
15. 我们来讨论一下建立合资企业的事宜吧。您能告诉我您的设想吗？例如，您打算在合资企业中占有多少投资份额？(Let’s get down to the business of establishing a joint venture. May I have some idea of your plan? For instance, how much would be your share of investment in this venture?)
16. 我们之间的投资份额可以对半开，在经营管理责权和利润分配上也可以对半开。(My suggestion for the investment share in this partnership is in the vicinity of 50 to 50, and the same applies to business management and profits share.)
17. 我们合作期定位10年，只要双方愿意，期满后我们还可以续签合同。(Let’s say we begin with a 10-year term of a renewable partnership; we can extend our contact for another term before it expires, if both parties intend to.)
18. 我们的想法不谋而合。(Your idea coincides with me.)
19. 我们是否可在下周再举行一轮会谈，集中讨论一些技术性的问题吧。(Shall we hold another round of talk next week focusing on some technical problems?)
20. 由于时间关系，我们今天暂且谈到这里，以后再接着聊吧。(As time is limited, we have to stop here today, but we will find some other time to continue our talk.)
Unit 4 访谈口译（行在美国、艾滋哀之、经营之道、音乐天才）
1. This is basically a correct observation, which says something about the American way of life.（这种看法基本正确，它反映了美国人的生活方式。）
2. Each state has its own traffic laws, and a driver from another state is expected to know and understand the local laws. （各州都有自己的交通规则，外州来的开车者应该辽机的当地的法规。）
3. My country has the most developed car rental industry in the world, so you may very well want to reserve a car through your travel agent in your own country if you intend to drive while traveling in my country. （我国有世界上最发达的租车业，你若打算在我国开车旅行，完全可以通过自己国家的旅行社办理租车预定事宜。）
4. Airfare in this country is not regulated, and airlines often make special offers in order to attract customers. （这个国家没有同意的飞机票价，各航空公司经常以竞相销价的方式来吸引更多的旅客。）
5. It’s actually easier to call a taxi company listed in the Yellow Pages of a telephone directory and ask them to send a cab to pick you up at your doorstep. （事实上一种较为便利的做法是按电话薄黄页部分所列的出租车公司的号码打电话叫车，让他们派车上门来接你。）
6. In the 25years since the first reports of what we now know was AIDS, an entire generation has been born and come of age never knowing a world without the epidemic. （自从25年前出现了首批有关艾滋病例的报告以来，整整一代人从出生起便生活在一个与艾滋病共存的世界里。）
7. A massive educational campaign is the only thing conceivable at the moment that can help; to argue that campaign is difficult, expensive and therefore impossible would be quite self-defeating. （开展大规模的教育运动是目前唯一行之有效的手段，认为这种运动难度大、代价高而无法实施完全是一种自暴自弃的态度。）
8. We will have to convince people that they are better off knowing than not knowing the fact, because they can
take whatever action available to treat the problem and control its infection with appropriate drugs. （我们应该使人们相信，知情总比蒙在鼓里好，因为了解实情后我们便可以采取一切可以采取的措施来治病，用适当的药物来控制疾病的传播。）
9. I think Chinese businesspeople, who are said to work with the” get-to-business-first” mentality. （我认为中国人在商务谈判时倾向于使用一种与会婉转的方式，而那些被认为在工作时具有一种“公务为先”的心态的美国人则往往表现出较为直截了当的作风。）
10. The Chinese-type management encourages cooperation among employees, between the labor and the management, and gives employees a joy of participation and fulfillment, as well as a sense of pride in their work. （中国式的管理方式鼓励员工之间的合作，也鼓励普通员工与管理人员之间的合作，始于员工有一种喜悦的参与感和成就感，使他们对自己的工作产生一种自豪感。）
11. I think most Chinese try to find the meaning of life through working in their jobs, and view works as essential for having membership in a community. （我认为大多数中国人想从工作中找到生活的意义，他们将视为能是自己成为团体的一份子的必不可缺的条件。）
12. Put it in another way, many Chinese people regard work as a prerequisite to gain social acceptance in the community. （换言之，许多中国人认为工作是是自己得到社会认可的先决条件。）
13. Songwriting is an expression of my personal experience, and if people find that interesting, then that’s the icing on the cake. （歌曲创作是我自我体验的一种表白。如果人们觉得很有意思，那就是锦上添花了。）
14. 听说美国城市的公共交通不尽如人意，有没有这回事？(It is said that the public transportation if American cities are not very desirable is n’t it?)
15. 司机在高速公路上开车时必须将自己的行车速度控制在标牌规定的最高限速与最低限速之间。(When driving on expressways, the driver must control his or her speed within the range of the posted maximum and minimum speed. )
16. 调查结果表明，许多人对艾滋病的传播不以为然。你认为我们应该怎样做才能让人们意识到问题的严重性呢？(Surveys show that a majority of the public does not take a serious view of the AIDS epidemic. What do you think would be the best way to bring people to the awareness of the seriousness of the problem?)
17. 美式经营之道在我们中国人看来常常显得咄咄逼人。(The American way of business practice often appears to us Chinese to be very aggressive.)
18. 我们应该承认我们之间的文化差异，应该尊重这些差异，以免产生误解。(We have to recognize and respect our cultural differences, so as to prevent any possible misunderstanding.)
19. 我把手掌专辑献给母亲，因为她对我的艺术生涯产生了巨大的影响。(I dedicated my debut album to my mother because she had a tremendous impact on my art career.)
20. 请你用三个词来总结一下自己走过的人生道路，并给那些想成为歌手和作曲家的年轻人提些建议。(Please describe your life in just three words and give some tips to the aspiring singers and songwriters.)
Unite 5 礼仪性口译--英译汉（故地重游、愉悦之旅、共创未来、新的长征）
1. Permit me first of all to thank you, our host, for your extraordinary arrangements and hospitality.（首先请允许我感谢东道主的精心安排与好客。）
2. Thank you very much for your gracious words of welcome. This is a happy and memorable occasion for me personally as well as for all the members of my delegation. （我非常感谢您热情洋溢的欢迎词，对我本人以及代表团所有成员来说，这是愉快而难忘的一刻。）
3. To come to China, one of the early cradles of civilization has long been my dream and therefore, I feel much honored to be your guest. （访问中国这个古老文明的摇篮是我梦寐以求的愿望，我为自己能成为贵国的客人而深感荣幸。）
4. In accepting Your Excellency’s gracious invitation to visit this great country, I have had an excellent opportunity to renew old friendships and establish new contacts. （我接受阁下的盛情邀请访问这个伟大的国家，这使得我有极好的机会重温旧情，再交新友。）
5. I wish to thank you for the incomparable hospitality, for which the Chinese people are justly famous throughout the world. （为中国人民所独有的，著称于世的款待，我谨向你们表示感谢.）
6. We have acquired a keen sense of the diversity, dynamism, and progress of china under the policies of reform and opening to the outside world. （我们都已强烈感受到，贵国在改革开放政策的引导下，气象万千，充满活力，不断进步。）
7. I have a special regard and personal friendship for the people of China, in which I never experienced anything other than the utmost courtesy and genuine friendship of your people. （我对中国人民怀有一种特殊的敬慕之情
8. Our friendly and cooperative ties have become extensive, affecting all aspects of our national lives, including industry, agriculture, commerce, culture, public health, education, and scientific and technological exchange. （我们友好合作的领域十分广泛，已涉及我们国家生活的方方面面，如工业，农业，商业，文化，卫生，教育，以及科学交流等领域。）
9. I’m looking forward, in the few days, to the opportunity of learning something from your endeavors and experience in promoting economic and social development in the service of your people. （我期待着在今后几天里能有机会向你们学习，从你们为造福贵国人民而促进经济和社会发展的奋斗和经验中学到一些东西。）10. We recognize that our differences are greatly overshadowed by issues which bind us and strengthen our relationship. （我们已经注意到，那些将我们联系在一起并且强化我们关系的已经在很大程度上弱化了我们之间的差距。）
11. Our visit to your country is a symbol of a good faith with which we seek to build up the strength of or friendship, our cultural and commercial ties and our important strategic relationship. （我们对贵国的访问是一种良好诚意的象征，我们怀着这种良好的诚意，希望能在友谊的基础上建立文化关系和商业关系，建立重要的战略关系。）
12. It is absolutely vital that all nations, big or small, strong or weak, should conduct their relations with each other on the basis of mutual respect, equality and mutual benefit. （所有国家，无论其大小强弱，都应该在相互尊重，平等互利的基础上处理相互间的关系，这一点是至关重要的。）
13. We must frankly acknowledge the fundamental differences in ideology and institutions between our two societies. （我们必须坦率的承认我们两个社会在意识形态上和制度上的根本差异。）
14. I have come to China not to hold forth on what divides us, but to build on what binds us, not to dwell on a closed-door past, but to urge us to look to the beautiful future. （我来中国不是为了评说那些将我们分割开来的东西，而是为了强化那些将我们联系在一起的东西，不是为了回顾闭关锁国的过去，而是为了敦促我们去展望前程似锦的未来。）
15. I have always believed the heritage of our past is the seed that bring forth the harvest of our future. （我一向认为我们的历史传统孕育着未来的丰收。）
16. Today China’s economy crackles with the dynamics of change, and you are beginning to reach out toward new horizons, and we salute your courage. （今天，中国经济突飞猛进，日新月异。你们开始迈向新的高度，为此，我们向你们表现出的勇气致敬。）
17. Let the pacific tide roll peacefully on, carrying a two-way flow of people and ideas that can break down barriers of suspicion and mistrust, and build up bonds of cooperation and shared optimism. （让这股太平洋的浪潮平顺的滚滚向前，促进人民的双向交流，促进思想的双向交流，打破猜忌和不信任这两大障碍，建立合作关系，树立共有的乐观精神。）
18. Let us start a long march together along different roads leading to the same goal of building a new world of
peace and justice, a world in which all people may stand together with equal dignity, and a world in which each nation has the right to determine its own course of development. （让我们沿着通往共同目标的不同道路一起开始新的长征。这个目标就是建立一个和平与正义的新世界，在这个世界里所有人都可以站在一起，享有同等的尊严，所有国家都有权选择自己的发展道路。）
19. I’d like to take this opportunity to extend to Your Excellency an invitation to visit Canada, so that we will have an opportunity to return the warm welcome and generous hospitality you extended to us. （我愿借此机会邀请阁下访问加拿大，以便使我们能有机会回报你们给予我们的热情欢迎和盛情款待。）
20. May I ask all of you present to join me in raising your glasses to the friendship and cooperation of our two peoples! （我敬请各位一起举杯，为我们的友谊与合作而干杯。）
Unite 6 礼仪性口译—汉译英（新春联欢、圣诞晚会、开幕祝词、展望未来）
1. 我谨代表总经理以及公司的全体同仁，感谢各位从百忙中拨冗光临我们的新年联欢晚会。On behalf of the general manager, and on behalf of all my colleagues of the company, I wish to thank you all for taking time off your busy schedule to come to our New Year’s party.
2. 今晚我们请到了从伦敦远道而来的贵宾与我们一起共度中秋佳节，我为此而深感自豪与荣幸。I feel very proud and honored tonight to have the attendance of the distinguished guests, who came here all the way from London to join us in our celebration of the Mid-Autumn Festival.
3. 我谨代表我们一行的全体成员，感谢董事长先生的盛情邀请，使我们有幸参加这次精彩的圣诞晚会。On behalf of all the members of my group, I’d like to thank you, Mr. Chairman, for granting us the gracious invitation to attend such an enjoyable Christmas party.
4. 我感谢各位嘉宾的光临，并祝各位新年身体健康，万事如意。I’d like to thank you for your presence at the party, and wish everyone good health and the very best of luck in everything in a new year.
5. 我希望这次晚会可以使我们有机会无所拘束的了解彼此，增进个人之间的友谊。I hope this party will give us an opportunity to get to know each other better in a less formal way and to increase personal friendship..
The party was perfectly organized and I enjoyed every minute of it. And I am very grateful for this nice arrangement.
7. 让我们在这年终岁末之际，共同举杯，祝贺这喜庆佳节。I would like to toast with you to this happy occasion at the close of the year.
8. 有了信念，我们将无所畏惧的跨入充满挑战和机遇的新一年。Armed with that faith, we should be able to embark undaunted upon the New Year with all its challenges and chances.
9. 今年我们合资企业的销售额显著增长，我希望我们能继续保持这种务实的合作关系，使明年的业绩更加辉煌。It has been a great year; a year in which our joints venture had a remarkable sales growth. I hope we will be able to maintain the practical cooperative relationship and make the New Year a more fruitful year.
10. 现在我宣布“重庆城市建设国际研讨会”现在开幕。May I hereby declare open “Chongqing International Symposium on Urban Construction”.
11. 请允许我代表筹委会的全体成员，向海内外各界来宾表示热烈的欢迎. Permit me, on behalf of the organizing committee, to extend a warm welcome to our guests of various circles, from home and abroad.
12. 大会所在地的很多教育界人士对本次会议的成功召开给予了很大的帮助，对此我谨致以诚挚的谢意。I wish to express our sincere thanks to the people of the local education community, whose generous help has made possible the successful commencement of this conference.
13. 这是一次具有历史意义的开拓性的会议，它对形成一个新的世界格局将产生积极影响。The conference is one of a pioneering endeavor and historic significance, one that will have a positive impact on the shaping of a
new world order.
14. 我相信本届年会对于推动中国社区服务事业的蓬勃开展，促进经济发展和社会稳定，具有积极地作用和意义。I am certain that this annual meeting will prove to be constructive and significant in promoting the prosperous development of China’s community service program as well as China’s economic development and social stability.
15. 一些发达国家和地区在环境保护方面积累了不少经验，值得我们借鉴和研究。Some developed countries and regions have accumulated much experience in the field of environmental protection, and their experience certainly merits our reference and study.
16. 我们愿在平等友好的基础上，就广泛领域里的合作以及建立新的合作伙伴关系交换我们的意见。We will exchange our views on cooperation in a wide range of areas and on the building of a new partnership in a friendly manner.
17. 我愿借此机会向成功主办了这次会议的东道主表示衷心的感谢。I wish to take this opportunity to express my heartfelt thanks to the host for hosting this conference successfully.
18. 形势的快速发展对我们给予了更高的期待，迫切需要我们高瞻远瞩，谋划双方合作的未来发展方向。The rapid development of the situation places higher expectations on us, and it is imperative that we adopt a long-term strategy to plan our future cooperation.
19. 我们要扩大对话与合作，提升我们在处理重大问题上的影响力。We should make us more influential in addressing major global issues through expanding dialogue and cooperation.
20. 我相信中国的改革开放和稳定会给亚欧国家的商界带来可观的投资和贸易良机，从而为亚洲乃至全世界的和平、稳定与繁荣作出积极的贡献。I am convinced that China’s reform ,opening-up and stability will provide the business community of Asian and European countries with tremendous investment and trade opportunities, thus making positive contributions to peace, stability and prosperity in Asia and the world at large.
Unit 7 介绍性口译—英译汉（绿色城市、浪漫香槟、游客之居、教堂之游）
1. Development can bring an extra benefit because many old debts can be paid for by the development charges. 发展可以到来额外的好处，因为许多所欠的旧债可以在建设过程中偿还。
2. According to the well-defined goal, in the next five years, this city will reduce total carbon dioxide emissions by 25％, which is well above the 10％reduction target that the country has committed to. 根据明确制定的目标，今后5年内这座城市的二氧化碳排放量将减少25％，这个目标同全国承诺的减少10％的二氧化碳排放量的目标相比，要高得多。
3. We endeavor to share our knowledge and experience in environmental protection with other cities around the world and to learn from other cities in implementing programs in our city. 我们愿意与世界其他城市交流环保工作方面的知识和经验，并在完成我市环保计划的过程中向其他城市学习。
4. I’m very happy to have the opportunity to talk to you about how the City of Toronto endeavors to turn itself with success into a green city in the process of economic integration with its surrounding cities. 我很高兴能有机会向各位介绍多伦多市在与其周边城市经济一体化的过程中是如何成功的将自己打造成为一座绿色城市的。
5. Due to the urbanization process, over the last 10 years, most of the city’s industries have spanned across municipal boundaries, and its traditional heavy manufacturing operations tend to locate in the surrounding municipalities. 由于城市化，这座城市大部分产业的发展在过去的10年里跨越了城市边界，传统的重工业呈现出向周边城市转移的发展态势。
6. One of the visions in the “City’s Strategic Plan” is to build a clean, green and environmentally sustainable city. 《城市发展战略计划》的目标之一就是打造一座清洁、绿色、环境可持续发展的城市。
7. The city’s environmental plan was developed within input from a wide range of community participants
including citizens, students, academics, business people, and civil servants from the municipal government. 这座城市的环保计划由社会各界共同参与制定，各方人士群策群力，献计献策，他们中间有市民、学生、学者、商人、市政府公务员等。
8. They promise to provide economic spin-offs in creation of new jobs and encourage investment in the development of alternative fuels for the benefit of future generation. 他们承诺要创造新的经济增长点，创造新的就业机会，鼓励人们投资开发替代性燃料，以造福子孙后代。
9. The city’s sectoral plans are addressed according to the priority of development, so that the city’s environmental objectives are fully addressed in all sectors of their operations. 市属各部门所制定的发展计划按轻重缓急给予执行，以确保城市的环保目标在其他各项计划中得到充分的体现。
10. He serves with a key position on the board of directors of that transnational corporation. 他在这一跨国公司的董事会担任要职。
11. Few flavors in the world can match that of champagne, which is a truly unique taste, created by a complex and painstaking process. 世界上几乎没有哪一种酒的口味可以与香槟酒的口味相媲美，这种独特的口味是通过艰辛复杂的酿造过程获得的。
12. One of the delights of Chinese food is its range—it’s fairly easy to tailor a perfectly good Chinese meal that will go well with wines. 中国菜的好处之一在于品种繁多的菜式，我们很容易选择一种可与葡萄酒相得益彰的菜肴。
13. A good wine, or a vintage champagne, is like a person you’ve met whose personality you don’t forget. 遇到一瓶上等葡萄酒，或者说一瓶上品香槟酒，感觉就像遇到一个其个性让你难以忘怀的人一样。
14. A bottle of good champagne is nothing but the ideal companion for a delicious meal where you don’t want your personality to be easily forgotten. 一桌美味佳肴，配上一瓶上等香槟酒助兴，你的个性会给客人留下难以忘怀的深刻印象。
15. Places to stay while traveling in this country go by different names such as hotels, motels or motor hotels, inns lodges, or resorts. 在这个国家旅行时可供住宿的旅社种类繁多，有旅馆、汽车旅馆、客栈、度假胜地的小旅店和宾馆等。
16. A rollaway can be moved into a room to sleep an extra person, and a hide-a-bed is sofa that folds out to make a bed. 滚动式折叠床可随时推入房内，为客人加铺，而暗床则是一种沙发折叠床，摊开后可做床用。
17. People who prefer camping to staying in hotels will have a hard time in the cities, because most of these cities don’t have campground nearby. 对于那些宁愿露宿户外而不愿睡在旅馆里的人来说，城市可不是他们的乐园，因为大多数城市附近没有野营地。
18. Built with money from private citizens, the Washington National Cathedral is one of the largest and most famous religious centers in the United States. 由私人赞助建造的华盛顿国家大教堂是美国规模最大、最富盛名的宗教中心之一。
19. The colored glass windows color the sunlight as it clean the building and spills across the floor. 彩色玻璃窗将射入建筑物的阳光染的五彩缤纷，洒落在大教堂一侧的地上。
20. The Washington National Cathedral is open to all people for many religious events throughout the year, and also holds many religious services, family activities, weddings, funerals, concerts and educational programs for children. 华盛顿大教堂全年对举办各种宗教活动的人士开放，还举办许多宗教活动、家庭活动、婚礼、葬礼、音乐会、儿童教育活动。
Unit 8 介绍性口译—汉译英（丝绸之路、传统节日、教育之本、出版王者）
1. 连接亚欧两大洲的贸易通道“丝绸之路”全程长达7千公里，其历史可以追溯到公元前二世纪。The 7000-kilometer-long “Silk Road”, whose history dates back to the second century B.C., is a trade thoroughfare
linking Asia and Europe.
2. 我社安排的“丝绸之路游”，始于古城西安，止于新疆首府乌鲁木齐，沿线游客可以领略自然景观的魅力，欣赏古代艺术家的高超工艺，品尝地方风味小吃，结识当地居民。“T he Silk Road Tour” that we offer follows a route beginning from the ancient city of Xi’an and winding up at Urumqi, the capital of Xinjiang, along which the tourist will take pleasure in the charms of the natural landscape, appreciate the superior workmanship of ancient artists, enjoy local delicacies and meet local people.
3. 丝绸之路沿途的大批历史文物、引人入胜的自然风景以及富有情趣的地方文化，使“丝绸之路游”成了世界上最精彩的旅游项目之一。A wealth of history relics, fascinating scenery and interesting local cultures along the Silk Road makes this trip one of the world’s most exciting tourist attractions.
4. 中国农历5月5日的端午节旨在纪念古代诗人屈原。The Dragon Boat Festival on the 5th day of the 5th month of China’s lunar calendar is set aside and celebrate in the memory of the ancient poet Qu Y uan.
5. 中秋节的特制食品是一种内含核桃仁、蜜饯、豆沙或蛋黄等食物的圆形月饼，圆象征着圆满，进而象征着家庭团聚。The moon cake, a special food of China’s Mid-autumn Festival, is a round pastry filled with nuts, candied preserved fruits, bean paste, duck egg yolk, etc. , symbolizing completeness and perfection, and by extension, family reunion.
6. 春节是中国的农历新年，其日期按农历而定，通常出现在公历2月份前半个月的某一天。The Spring Festival, or the Chinese lunar New Year, is celebrated according to the lunar calendar, and generally occurs some time in the first half of February.
7. 大饱口福历来是春节的主要内容，除了常见的海鲜、家禽和肉类之外，人们还要按照各自的地方习俗烹制一些传统菜肴。Lavishly consuming food and drink is customarily a major activity during the Spring Festival season. In addition to the popular seafood, poultry and meat, regional custom dictates that some traditional favorite dishes should be prepared and consumed.
8. 汉语“年糕”这个词里的“糕”字与“高”谐音，寓意来年“节节高”，而香甜的汤圆则象征着合家团圆。The Chinese character gao in the word niangao is homonymous with the word “tall”, suggesting “growing up and prospering” in the new year, and the round sweet dumpling is a symbol of family reunion.
9. 熟练的高跷表演者能够在高跷上展现异常惊人的技艺，表演高难度的动作。Skillful performers can perform truly amazing feats and extremely difficult movements on stills.
10. 春节是合家欢聚的日子，出门在外者总要想方设法在除夕夜到来之前赶回家，吃上一年之中最重要的一顿饭——“团圆饭”。The Spring Festival is the occasion for a family reunion. People away from home for various reasons will always try their best to come back home before the New Year’s Eve for the family reunion dinner, the most important meal of the year.
11. 香港中文大学，简称中大，是一所研究型综合大学，以“结合传统与现代，融会中方与西方”为创校使命。The Chinese University of Hong Kong, CUHK for short, is a leading research-oriented comprehensive university with a global vision and a mission to combine tradition with modernity, and bring together China and the West.
12. 我们一直致力于弘扬中华传统文化，坚持双语教育，并推行独特的书院制度，在高等教育界卓然而立。We have been distinguished from other local universities by virtue of our rich Chinese culture heritage, bilingual education, and a unique college system.
13. 多元教育学分制赋予学生更大的学习自主权，不仅有助于培养又专又博的人才，而且有助于充分发挥每一个学生的潜能。The credit unit system of multi-faceted education allows students more freedom in designing their own learning and brings out the best in every student.
14. 我校的校训“博文约礼”出自《论语》，讲求智育与德育并重，注重培养怀抱理想，目光远大，品德高尚的年轻人。Our university motto “Broadening one’s intellectual horizon and keeping within the bounds of propriety”, which is taken from the Analects of Confucius, gives equal stress to the intellectual and moral aspects
of education and attaches importance to nurturing young people with vision, moral character and a global mindset.
15. 诗与乐能够打动人心，陶冶性灵，可收到潜移默化之效果，并非一般知识传授所能做到。Poetry and music can touch the soul, cultivate the spirit, and influence the temperament unobtrusively and imperceptibly, something which classroom pedagogy cannot achieve.
16. 我们矢志发展成为一所国内领先、国际知名的卓越学府。欢迎你们加入我们的行列，与我们一起来实现这个愿望。Join us in our journey to become a leading university in China and an excellent university with established reputation in the world.
17. 我们并没有在取得的丰硕成果面前停止前进的脚步。We have not ceased our advancement in front of the prolific achievements.
18. 中国国际出版集团是中国最大、最权威的外语出版发行单位，期前身是中央人民政府新闻出版署国际新闻局。The China International Publishing Group is the largest and the most authoritative foreign language publishing and distribution establishment in China, its predecessor being the International Press Bureau of the Central People’s Government Press and Publication Administration.
19. 为了加强对出版人才队伍的建设，为了满足日益增长的特殊出版业务的需求，我集团每年都要选派一些青年员工到国外知名高等学府和研究机构进修。In order to build up a strong team of publishing staff, as well as to meet the growing need of more technically demanding business, the Group attaches great importance to its human resources investment and makes it a rule that young staff be selected and sent to noted universities and research institutions, both domestic and overseas, for further studies.
20. 根据我们的发展新战略，我们会将前进的步伐迈出国界走向世界，瞄准海外读者群，这一战略已取得了良好的开局。As is clearly spelled out in our new development strategy, we will go beyond our national boundaries and wedge ourselves into the world circulation market, arming at the international relationship. Our initial efforts have been very rewarding.
Unit 9 说服性口译—英译汉（强市之路、广而误之、大学精神、继往开来）
1. With your indulgence, I would like to highlight some of my personal experience in leading a small American company and turning it into a multinational corporation with more than 11 billion dollars in net income. 您若不介意的话，我想着重谈一下我是如何带领一家美国小公司，由小到大，发展成为一家净收入超过110亿美元的跨国大企业的。
2. I believe the key to our success as an innovator in China derived from our core strengths and our innovative culture, which enable us to quickly adapt to the changing market circumstance in China. 我认为，作为创新者，我们在中国取得成功的秘诀在于我们的核心竞争力和创新文化，这使我们很快适应了中国市场不断变化的环境。
3. Innovation starts at the top, and it is important for leaders to create an environment of virtuous cycle where innovation is constant, where people have the skill and incentives to think creatively. 创新从领导层开始做起，领导层必须营造一个可以不断创新、良性发展的环境，以激励的人们的创新思维，吸引乐于创新的人人才。
4. We should encourage universities, research institutions and corporations to corporate in striving to do the basic research for great growing in the future. 我们应该鼓励产、学、研之间的合作，开展基础性研究，增强发展后劲。
5. Global competition requires quality education. One of the success stories in this regarding is that of China Europe International Business School, which combines international management education with an understanding of the Chinese business environment. 参与全球竞争需要高质量的教育，这方面的一个成功的范例就是将国际管理学课程与中国商业环境结合起来的中欧国际工商学院。
6. The long term strategy has also been laid out; we will enhance our independent innovative capabilities,
strengthen our ability to conduct basic research, speed up our efforts to join the ranks of innovative countries, and secure our position as a global center of creativity and innovation as clearly as possible. 长期战略蓝图已经拟就，我们要增强自主创新能力，加强基础研究能力，加快进入创新型国家的行列，早日成为全球的一个创造发明中心。
7. Female adolescents are particularly vulnerable to, and have been the prime targets of, many advertisements and commercials. 少女是广告的主要对象，她们特别容易受到广告的侵袭。
8. Advertisers are fully aware of their role and do not hesitate to take advantage of the insecurities and anxieties of young people, in the guise of offering them solutions to any problems conceivable. 广告商们充意识到自己的作用，使她们毫不迟疑的利用年轻人的不稳定和渴求的特点，扮演万能智者的角色。
9. A consequence of advertising is that it conveys the message that the value of a person is dependent upon the value of products used, and that it makes us feel that happiness can be bought, that there are instant solutions to life’s complex problems, and that products can fulfill us and meet our deepest human needs. 广告的一个不良后果是它传递了这样一种信息，即一个人的价值取决于所用产品的价值。广告让我们感到幸福是可以花钱买的，让我们感到生活中的复杂问题都有手到病除的良方，让我们感到产品可以使我们充实，可以满足人类最深层的需求。
10. All “beautiful” women in television commercials conforms to the norm by which one is supposed to be thin, generally tall and long legged, and have no lines or wrinkles, and no scars or blemishes. 所有在电视广告中出现的“靓女”均都符合这样一种标准：一名女子应该身材苗条，高挑个，双腿修长，皮肤应该天生丽质，没有皱纹，没有疤痕，没有瑕疵。
11. Desperate to conform to an ideal but impossible standard, many women, under the influence of advertising, go to great lengths to manipulate and alter their faces and bodies, as if they were things separated from and more important than their real selves. 广告效应使很多妇女渴求自己能达到一个理想的而又无法达到的标准，她们尽其所能来摆布和改变自己的容颜和体态，似乎容颜与体态可以与自身分割开来，似乎容颜和体态比自身更为重要。
12. Ironically, the heavily advertised products, such as cosmetics and weight-reduction drinks, are even detrimental to physical attractiveness. 具有讽刺意义的是，诸如化妆品和减肥饮料这类广告被广告大肆渲染的产品，其实对人体的魅力是有害的。
13. Misleading advertisements and commercials depict a world in which love and passion are reserved solely for products, in which sexuality becomes a commodity, and in which young women are the worst victims. 在被误导性的广告所描绘的世界里，爱恋和激情去全然是产品的附庸，性成了商品，其中年轻女子则成了最大的受害者。
14. In this globalized economy, universities should prepare a great number of graduates who will extract the best and explore the greatest in this increasingly complex society. 在这个经济全球化的时代背景下，大学应该为这个日新月异、充满变数的社会培养一大批善于取精用弘的学生。
15..Most of my remarks will focus on the role of innovation and research in the university since that is the university spirit, as well as the primary source of economic growth and new technologies. 今天我演讲的重点是大学创与研究的作用，因为这是大学精神之所在，同时也是经济增长和新技术产生的主要源泉。
16. A research-interrelated educational program will create a flow of young, bright and uninhibited minds to work on the frontier of discovery. 研究型教育可以培养一大批活跃在探索前沿、聪颖开放的青年才俊。
17. Creating highly innovative centers requires adequate funding for research, great freedom of the team, availability of first-class repertory and equipment, committed and innovative students, and smooth communication and mutual respect between the research community and the industry. 创建富于创新精神的研究中心需要充足的研究经费、宽松的研究团队、一流的物资与设备、一批勤勉且善于创新的学生，以及研究机构和产业界之间的良好沟通与相互尊重。
18. Our challenge will be to take advantage of this opportunity, to make even greater contribution, and to improve the welfare of our society. 我们的历史使命是抓住时代赋予我们的机遇，为社会福祉做出更大的贡献。19. We find the fullness of life not only in options, but in commitments. 生活的充实不仅在于做出选择，还在于承担义务。
20. Our public interest depends on private character, on civic duty, family bonds and basic fairness, and on uncounted, unhonored acts of decency which give direction to our freedom. 我们的公共利益依赖于个人品格，依赖于公民职责、家庭纽带及基本公平的原则，依赖于将我们引向自由的无数的默默无闻的高尚品格。
Unit 10 说服性口译—汉译英（第二文化、环境保护、迎接挑战、习武健身）
1. 今天我所讲的话题是语言与文化的内在关系，我重点讲第二语言与第二文化学习的关系及重要意义。My topic today is the inherent link between language and culture, I will focus on the relationship between second language learning and second culture learning, as well as on the significance of the relationship.
2. 文化是指一个民族的整个生活方式，即一个民族的风俗、传统、社会习惯、价值观、信仰、语言、思维方式以及日常活动。Culture refers to the total way of life of a people, that is, the customs, traditions, social habits, values, beliefs, language, ways of thinking, and daily activities of a people.
3. 由于人类语言是文化的直接表现，所以可以说，第二语言学习涉及对所学语言的的民族文化特征的认识和理解。Because human language is a direct manifestation of culture, we may very well say that learning a second language involves the recognition and understanding of the characteristics of the national culture of the target language community.
4. 可以说，西方人学习中国语言和中国文化的浪潮方兴未艾。The trend that Westerns take to learning Chinese language and Chinese culture is, so to speak, gathering momentum and is there to stay.
5. 学习外语的一大好处在于我们可以从听学外语中挖掘和吸收有益的文化内涵。One of the palpable strengths of learning a foreign language is that the learning process will provide us with an opportunity to tap and absorb the valuable cultural quintessence inherent in the target language.
6. 中国作为一个发展中国家，面临着发展经济与保护环境的双重任务。As a developing country, China is confronted with the dual task of developing its economy and protecting its environment.
7. 中国在全面推进现代化的过程中，不仅将实现经济持续发展视为一项重要战略，同时也将生态环境的保护视为一项基本国策。In the process of promoting its overall modernization program, China has not only regarded the realization of sustained economic development as an important strategy but also made environmental protection one of its basic state policies.
8. 中国作为国际社会的一员，，认真履行国际义务，积极参与国际环保事务，促进国际环保合作。As a member of the international community, China has earnestly fulfilled its international obligations, and takes an active part in the affairs of international environmental protection to promote international cooperation in environmental protection.
9. 我们必须在人民中宣传环保知识，提高人们对环保道德与行为准则的认识。We must popularize knowledge about environmental protection among the people and raise their awareness of environmental ethics and the code of conduct.
10. 我们欣慰的看到，越来越多的珍惜濒危的野生动物和植物在人工照料下保持了稳定的种群，有的以成功回归大自然。We are relieved by the fact that more and more stable populations for rare and endangered species of wild fauna and flora are maintained under human watch, some of which have been successfully reintroduced to nature.
11. 我们在解决环境与发展的问题上仍面临着大量的难题，任重而道远。我们将一如既往地为保护我们的生存环境，为人类的幸福和繁荣，为造福下一代而奋斗。There is a grand task to perform and a long way to go
in solving the problems of the environment protection and development. We will, as always, strive for the protection of the environment for human survival, for the happiness and prosperity of humanity, and for the benefits of our children.
12. 我们正处在一个由工业化社会向服务与信息社会接轨的过程中。We are in process of transforming from an industrial society to a service and information society.
13. 拜金主义、自我关注以及对公益事业的淡漠使许多传统美德受到了冲击。The phenomenon of money worship and obsession, a growing concern with self-interests, and neglect of public welfare exert negative impact on people's attitude towards many traditional virtues.
14. 这些问题源于经济和社会条件的变化，是都市化和现代化进程中产生的问题。Arising from the changed economic and social conditions, these problems are inevitable in the process of urbanization and modernization. 15. 我们要实施科教兴国战略，优先发展教育，形成全民学习、终身学习型社会，促进人的全面发展。We will implement the strategy of developing the country through science and education and giving priority to the development of education and build a society of lifelong education for all the people which values highly the all-round development of a person.
16. 中华民族素有携幼爱幼的传统美德，中国古语“幼吾幼以及人之幼”流传至今。The Chinese nation has long cultivated the traditional virtues of bringing up and caring for the young. An old Chinese saying that "Love our own children and love others' children in the same manner" is still very popular.
17. 在全球经济日趋一体化的今天，让我们迎接挑战，拥抱机遇，承担责任，共同建设更美好的未来。In the economic globalization today, let us meet challenges, embrace opportunities, shoulder responsibilities, and work together to make tomorrow a better day.
18. 武术在我国源远流长，是中华民族传统文化的瑰宝，也是人类的共同财富。Wushu, or Chinese martial art, can be traced back to the ancient times. It is gem of the Chinese traditional culture and the shared wealth of all humanity.
19. 您在这里可以欣赏精彩，扣人心弦的武术表演，也可以欣赏京剧节目和杂技表演。Here you will not only enjoy fabulous and exciting performances by martial artists, but also Peking opera and acrobatics shows.
20. 我不想说服任何人去习武健身，因为这是个人的事，是人们为将来所做的投资。I have no intention of persuading anyone, nor am I prepared to convince anyone, either, because practicing martial art for your health and fitness is a matter of personal choice, and an investment for your own future.
Unit 11 学术性口译—英译汉（语言系统、人机之争、生物革命、股票市场）
1. Although the languages of various regions are so different that they are mutually unintelligible, they have a great deal in common in their basic principles, and in the way they approach certain specific problems of communication. 虽然不同地区的语言因差异巨大而互不相同，然而从言语的基本原理以及具体交际的实际情况来看，它们有许多共同之处。
2. One of the wonders about language and language use is that with a finite set of rules speakers can produce and understand an infinite set of sentences. 语言及语言使用的妙处之一在于说话者可以运用一组数量有限的规则来表达和理解数量无线的句子。
3. The creative aspect of human language is not found in the communication system of any other species. That is, human beings have the ability to combine basic linguistic units to form an infinite set of grammatical sentences, most of which are novel, never before produced or heard. 人类语言的创造性是任何其他物种的交际系统所缺的，也就是说，人类能够将将语言的基本单位组合起来，生成无限多的符合语法规范的句子，而大部分生成的句子却是说话者自己从未说过或从未听到过的新句子。
4. The difference between a human brain and a computer can be expressed in a single word: complexity. 人类与
5. The many billions of brain cells are interconnected in a vastly complicated network that we can’t begin to interpret as yet. 千百亿个大脑细胞相互串联在一起，形成一张我们至今还无法开始解释的极为复杂的网络。
6. While the computer switch is just an on-off device, the brain cell is itself possessed of a tremendously complex inner structure. 电脑的开关仅仅是一个离合装置，而大脑细胞却有着及其复杂的内部结构。
7. Our gene “program” is so much more enormously complex that we might like to define “thinking” in terms of our creativity in literature, art, science and technology. 我们的基因“程序”更为复杂，所以我们或许可以从文学、艺术、科学和技术的创造力这个角度给“思维”下定义。
8. The point of concern is that while programming the computer, humans are not only creating a servant, but also a threatening rival. 问题在于人类在给电脑编制程序时不仅在制造仆人，同时也在制造威胁自己生存的竞争对手。
9. What I want to focus is the principles that underlie computer programming. 我想着重谈一下电脑编程的指导原则问题。
10. New breakthroughs in biomedical technology are announced daily; achievements such as the completion of the human genome project portend much serious changes to come. 在生物医学技术领域里，每天都有新的突破，人类基因组项目的完成预示了将要出现更为重大的变革。
11. We don’t have to wait the arrival of human genetic engineering to foresee a time when we will be able to enhance intelligence, memory, emotional sensitivity, as well as manipulate behavior in a host of other ways. 我们无须等待人类基因工程的降临便可做出预示，未来的某个时候，我们将通过各种方法来提高自身的智力、记忆力、情绪敏感性，来控制自己的行为。
12. While many medical advances have increased the quality of life for older people, many have had the opposite effect by prolonging only one aspect of life and increasing dependence. 虽然医学取得的很多成果提高了老年人的生活质量，但是另外一些成果的取得却产生了相反的作用，即在延长人生命的同时也强化了人的依赖性。
13. We could find ways to preserve bodily health but would fail to put off age-related mental deterioration. 我们可以找到保持身体健康的方法，但无法推迟与老龄有关的脑力衰退的时间。
14. Stem cell research might yield ways to grow new body parts, but without a parallel curer for Alzheimer’s, this wonderful new technology would do no more than allow more people to persist in vegetative states for years longer than is currently possible.干细胞研究可能会使人们找到新器官的培育途径，但是如果我们未能同时找到医治老年痴呆的良方，这种奇妙的新技术智能让更多人在植物状态下苟活而已。
15. I should thank you for the privilege of speaking here and for ensuring me such an attentive audience. 感谢您给我如此殊荣在此发表演讲，同时也感谢您为我请来了如此专心致志的听众。
16. I’m very happy to see such a large audience, but this lecture on cloning technology is meant for beginners. 我很高兴捡到这么多的听众，不过这只是一个克隆技术的知识普及性讲座。
17. People buy stock as an investment, in the hope of making a profit on an increase in the stock’s price. 人们作为一种投资购买股票，希望通过股价上涨而获利。
18. The stocks on the New York Stock Exchange represent about 80％of the value of all publicly owned companies in America. 纽约股票交易所的股票总股价约占全美上市公司总市值的80％。
19. The Internet has made it easy for the general public to get information about financial investment. 因特网的出现使普通老百姓易于活得有关金融投资的信息。
20. The performance of the stock market is measured by stock indexes, such as the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the NASDAQ Composite Index. 股票市场的行情是以股票指数来衡量的，例如道琼斯工业平均指数和纳斯达克综合指数。
Unit 12 学术性口译—汉译英（语言能力、文化冲突、书法艺术、社区服务）
1. 我们创造性地运用语言的能力较之任何其他人类的属性更能将我们同动物区别开来。Our creative use of language, more than any other human attribute, distinguishes ourselves from animal species.
2. 懂得一种语言还包括懂得哪些句子在某些场合中使用是恰当的，这就是说，语言的使用受到场合或上下文的约束。Knowing a language includes knowing what sentences are appropriate in a particular situation. That is to say, language use is situational, or context-dependent.
3. 我对全球冲突源于文化冲突折翼观点深感不安。I am deeply concerned with the view that global clashes result from clashes between different cultures.
4. 这种观点反映了人们对西方文明的前途怀有一种与日俱增的困惑感。This view reflects people’s growing confusion about the future of the Western civilization.
5. 亚洲的经济成功使这个地区的人民觉悟起来，对自己的才智与创造力有了新的认识，他们开始重新思考西方的社会模式与政治模式是否适用于自己的国家。The economic success in Asia has given rise to Asians’awakening recognition of their own wisdom and creativity. They have model to consider whether the Western social and political model is applicable favorably to their own countries.
6. 东亚的经济成功代表了一种新文化的诞生，代表了一种集东西方传统优点之大成的新价值体系的诞生。East Asia’s economic success represents the emergence of a new culture, a new value system that incorporates the strengths of both Oriental and Western traditions.
7. 我赞同许多东亚学者的观点，东亚社会的自我约束性、集体责任感以及温厚儒雅的传统可以医治盛行于西方世界的许多顽疾。I share the same view with many East Asian scholars that the Oriental civilization with its self-discipline, corporate responsibility and pacific tradition can offset many stubborn ills prevailing in the West. 8. 在这个信息时代，世界已缩小为一个地球村，我们鼻息之间无须冲突，我们之间的关系是一种友好合作、平等互利、和睦相处的关系。At this age of information, the world has shrunk into a global village in which we do not necessarily have to come into clash with each other, and in which our relationship is but one of friendly cooperation, of equality and mutual benefits, and of peaceful and harmonious coexistence.
9. 中国有句古话是这么说的：“山不在高，有仙则名；水不在深，有龙则灵“。An ancient Chinese saying goes that “Any mountain can be famous with the presence of an immortal, and any river can be holy with the presence of a dragon”.
10. 许多汉字属象形文字，人们常可以从字的形状揣知其义。Many Chinese characters are pictographs; often the meaning of a particular character is apparent in the pictorial form of the character.
11. 汉字在其漫长的发展史演化成许多不同的书写艺术形式，例如甲骨铭文、青铜器铭文、篆书、隶书、楷书、行书、草书等书写形式。During their long history of development Chinese character have evolved and been written into many different artistic styles, including inscriptions in bones or tortoise shell and ancient bronze objects, the seal character, official script, regular script, running script and cursive script.
12. 千百年来中国许多书法家潜心研究书法艺术的形式、规则及理论。Over the centuries Chinese calligraphers have devoted substantive attention to the study of the forms, principles and theories that are pertinent to the art of calligraphy.
13. 在以石碑闻名遐迩的桂林七星岩区域内，每个朝代的铭文随处可见。Wherever you go in the Seven-Star Cave of Guilin, widely known for its stelae, you are likely to see a lavish number of inscriptions from various dynasties.
14. 对于那些有兴趣把书法作为一种艺术形式来研究的人士来说，曲阜孔庙和泰山岱庙是必游之地。Qufu’s Confucius Temple and Mountain Tai’s Dai Temple are undoubtedly visitors’ choice for those who are interested in studying calligraphy as an art form.
15. 中国历史上许多诗人和高僧在浪迹名山时撒墨于悬崖峭壁上，他们以此来抒发自己的情感。Historically, many poets and senior monks wrote inscriptions on precipices to express their feeling when they visited famous
16. 中国与国际劳工组织、联合国开发计划署、世界银行、亚洲开发银行等众多国际机构以及许多国家进行了卓有成效的交流与合作，为促进就业、消除贫困和维护劳动者的合法利益发挥了积极作用。China has conducted fruitful exchanges and cooperation with many countries and international organizations, such as the International Labor Organization, United Nations Development Program, World Bank and Asia Development Bank. It has played a positive role in the international community in promoting employment, eliminating poverty and protecting the legal rights and interests of workers.
17. 新建立的市场导向就业机制和社会保障体系，为进一步推动劳动和社会保障失业的发展奠定了良好的基础。The newly established market-oriented employment mechanism and social security system that have been established across China have laid a good foundation for further promotion of the labor and social security undertaking.
18. 人口老龄化和农村富余劳动力的增加将进一步加大对社会保障的压力，发展农村社会保障事业任重而道远。The aging of the population and the increase of surplus and redundant labor force in the rural areas put more pressure on social security, and promotion of social security in rural areas will take a long uphill journey.
19. 我国社区服务起步较晚，发展还很不平衡，还有许多不足之处和薄弱环节需要克服。China’s community service has a late start and its development is by no means balanced; therefore, much work need be done to offset the problems and strengthen the weak links.
20. 各位专家学者所作的学术报告对促进和改善我们的工作，必将产生积极的影响。The presentations given by various scholars and specialists at this conference are sure to exert a positive impact on the furtherance and improvement of our work lying ahead.
Unit 13 商务性口译—英译汉（企业文化、认识债券、硅谷之贵、专利法规）
1. Today I’ll focus on the importance of entrepreneurial culture, drawing on the lesson from a few outstanding cases. 今天我以几个突出的案例给予我们的教训为例来谈一下企业文化的重要性。
2. The truth is that really successful transformations are the exception rather than the rule. 事实是，真正成功转型的公司是极个别的现象。
3. Changing the core values, the attitudes, and the fundamental relationships of a vast organization is overwhelmingly difficult. 转变一家大型公司的核心理念，态度和基本关系极其困难。
4. Too much emphasis on earnings growth and individual initiative, coupled with a shocking absence of the usual corporate checks and balances, turned the company’s entrepreneurial culture from one that rewarded aggressive strategy to one that increasingly relied on unethical means. 过分强调收益增长和个人主动性，加之缺乏那种常规的公司制约平衡机制，使这个公司的企业文化从推崇进取性战略蜕变为日益依赖不道德的手段。
5. The new entrepreneurial culture encourages the “loose and tight” environment. The idea is to combine tight controls with maximum individual authority to allow entrepreneurial to flourish without the culture edging into chaos. 新型的企业文化鼓励“张弛有度”的企业环境。这种张驰结合的理念是指将严格控管与最大限度的个人权利结合起来，从而使企业家的才能得到充分发挥，同时也避免企业文化陷入混乱。
6. Entrepreneurial culture, also known as corporate culture, is a form of ideal, which is based on the value system of an enterprise and closely related to the management philosophy as well as the management behavior of the enterprise. It is where the kernel of business management lies. 企业文化是一种观念形态，它以企业的价值体系为基础，与企业的管理理念和管理行为产生紧密的联系，是企业管理的核心所在。
7. In the narrow sense, entrepreneurial culture refers to some fundamental spirit and agglomerating force that come into being in the production and management practices of an enterprise, as well as the common values and norms of behavior shared by the whole staff. This is the starting point for us to understand and know about
entrepreneurial culture. 从狭义上来说，企业文化是指企业在生产经营的实践中所形成的一种基本精神和凝聚力，以及全体职工共同具有的价值观念和行为准则。这是我们了解和认识企业文化的出发点。
8. Bonds appeal to investors because of their scope for capital appreciation. 债券吸引投资者是因为债券有增值的机会。
9. Investors consider investing some money in bonds because they will be able to achieve a higher return than cash deposits. 投资人将一部分资金投在债券上是基于这么一种考虑，他们期望获取高于现金存款的回报率。10. In a nutshell, an investor should consider investing in bonds as an alternative for the purpose of diversification in investment. 总的来说，投资者应该考虑把债券投资当作一种投资选择，以达到多元化投资的目的。11. In recent years, financial markets have become increasingly polarized between growth and security. 近年来金融市场的投资增值与投资安全日趋两极分化。
12. Credit rating agencies, such as Moody’s and Standard & Poors, indicate possible risk in financial investment. 信誉评级机构，如穆迪和标准普尔评估机构，提供有关金融投资可能遇到的风险的信息。
13. Silicon Valley is a magnet to which numerous talented engineers, scientists and entrepreneurs from overseas flock in search of fame and gain. 硅谷犹如一块磁铁，把许多天资聪颖的工程师、科学家、企业家从世界各地吸引到这里来寻求功名和财富。
14. First and foremost, Silicon Valley has the largest concentration of brilliant computer professionals and the best supporting services in the world. 首先，硅谷有着全球最密集的优秀电脑专业人才群体和最佳支持服务体系。
15. The never-say-die approach is the sine qua non for the ultimate triumph in the entrepreneurship and technological breakthrough. 这种永不言败的作风是企业成功和技术创新必不可缺的。
16. They willingly support promising start-ups with urgently needed initial capital to get them started. 他们愿意支持那些前途看好的创业者，给予他们急需的启动资金，帮助他们起步。
17. Paper qualification, though useful, is not a be-all-and-end-all. 文化虽然有用，却不是一切，一纸定不了终生。
18. Because of its high-risk nature, for every success story there are hundreds who will fall by the wayside. 由于其高风险的特点，一家公司的成功可能意味着数百家公司的落败。
19. Today, we, pioneers and leaders of electronic commerce, are meeting here to call together for changes in the existing patent laws. 今天我们这些电子商务的创始人和领导人在此集会，共同呼吁修改现行的专利法。20. I propose a one-month period of public consultation before patents are issued. 我提议，专利发布前应该有一个月的公示期。
Unit 14 商务性口译--汉译英（双边经贸、亚洲合作、外资企业、经济关系）
1. 在经济全球化不断发展的背景下，贸易自由化问题日益受到人们的关注。Against the backdrop of growing economic globalization, trade liberalization has captured increasing attention.
2. 正确认识和把握经济全球化和贸易自由化问题，对促进全球经济的健康发展具有十分重要的意义。To put economic globalization and trade liberalization in their right perspective is one of great importance to the healthy development of the global economy.
3. 关键在于要以冷静而明智的态度正确对待和处理摩擦和纠纷。The key lies in how to cope with trade frictions and disputes correctly in a cool and wise manner.
4. 我们一贯主张，对于双边和多边经济贸易关系中出现的摩擦和争端，有关方面应当本着相互尊重的原则，通过友好协商谋求解决，we have always advocated that parties involved should adhere to the principle of mutual respect and settle bilateral or multilateral trade disputes through friendly consultation.
5. 互利共赢的经济贸易关系给两国人民带来了实实在在的经济利益。Mutually beneficial and win-win trade and economic ties have delivered tangible economic benefits to the two peoples.
6. 虽然两国贸易摩擦时有发生，但是具有很大互补性的经贸合作的总体发展是不可逆转的。Although trade
disputes between the two countries often arise, the overall development in the bilateral trade and economic cooperation, which enjoys complementarities in the vast fields, is irreversible.
7. 我们希望两国在对待贸易分歧和摩擦时要有一种高瞻远瞩的战略眼光。As for the differences and frictions over trade, the two countries need to take a strategic perspective of vision and foresight toward trade frictions and disputes.
8. 我们也希望贵国采取更为切实有力的政策措施，促使两国在经济、贸易、科技、文化、教育、卫生等领域里的合作有更大的发展。We wish the government of your country will take forcible policy measures to feul stronger growth in the all-round cooperation between our two countries in such areas as economy, trade, science and technology, culture, education and health.
9. 亚洲是地球上最大的洲，资源十分丰富，历史源远流长，文化博大精深。亚洲人民勤劳智慧，自强不息。As the biggest continent on the earth, Asia has abundant resources, a long history and profound cultures. The people in Asia are diligent, talented and persistent in self-development.
10. 包容、平等和渐进的地区合作意识近年来日益增强。In recent years, there has been a growing awareness of regional cooperation featuring greater tolerance, equality and gradual progress.
11. 从实际需要和实践来看，可以把贸易、交通、农业、信息、能源作为优先合作领域，并逐步向其他领域扩展。Given our real needs and experience, such areas as trade, communications, agriculture, information and energy can be made priorities of cooperation, which will be gradually expanded to include other areas.
12. 区域合作和双边合作两者可以互补。Regional cooperation and bilateral cooperation can very well complement each other.
13. 我们恪守入世承诺，有步骤的扩大开放领域，降低关税水平，取消非关税壁垒。We will honor our WTO commitments, opening more areas in a step-by-step manner, lowering our tariffs and removing non-tariff barriers.
14. 建立外贸企业的申请，由国务院对外贸易经济主管部门或者国务院的机关审查批准。The application to establish a foreign-capital enterprise shall be submitted for examination and approval to the department under the State Council which is in charge of foreign economic relations and trade, or to another agency authorized by the State Council.
15. 外资企业分立、合并或者其他重要事项变更，应当报审查机关批准，并向工商行政机关办理变更登记手续。In the event of separation, merger or other major changes, a foreign-capital enterprise shall report to and seek approval from the authorities in charge of examination and approval, and register the change with industry and commerce administrative authorities.
16. 外资企业终止，应当及时公告，依照法定程序进行清算，并向工商行政管理机关办理注销登记手续，缴销营业执照。When terminating its operation, a foreign-capital enterprise shall promptly issue a public notice and proceed with liquidation in accordance with legal procedures. At the termination, the foreign-capital enterprise shall nullify its registration with the industry and commerce administrative authorities and hand in its business license for cancellation.
17. 推动新经济的发展，不仅要求我们用先进科学技术更新经济，而且要求我们适应这个发展趋势来更新经济结构、经济体制、经济机制，更新国与国、企业与企业之间的经济关系，更新推进各国开展经济技术合作的指导思想。To promote the development of the New Economy, we must not only update our economy with advanced science and technology, but also, in response to this new trend of development, revamp the economic structure, system, and mechanisms accordingly, readjust the economic relationships between states ang between enterprises and update our philosophies and concepts for economic and technological cooperation across national boundaries.
18. 在推动经济全球化和贸易自由化的过程中，世贸组织应充分考虑经济发展处于弱势的国家和人民。The WTO should give full regard to the interests of the economically disadvantaged countries and people while pushing forward economic globalization and trade liberalization.
19. 改革开放以来，中国企业与国外、海外企业积极开展经济技术合作，取得了巨大成就，取得了互利和共赢的结果。Since China’s reform and opening up, Chinese enterprise have vigorously undertaken economic and technological cooperation with overseas enterprises and scored tremendous achievements, hence mutual benefit and all-win.
20. 中国将以更加积极的姿态参与区域及全球范围的经济技术合作，进一步推动全方位、多层次、宽领域的对外开放。China will take a more active part in regional and global economic and technical cooperation, and endeavor to promote a multi-directional and multi-level opening-up in a wide range of areas.
Unit 15 科普性口译—英译汉（睡眠与梦、音响今昔、遗传信息、左脑之忧）
1. It is clear that we all need to sleep, because if we sleep well, we feel rested and if not, we often feel tired and irritable. 虽然我们都需要睡眠，如果睡得好，就感觉得到了充分的休息；若睡眠不充足便会感到疲倦和烦躁。
2. Each night we alternate between two kinds of sleep, active sleep and passive sleep, in order to get both physical and emotional rest. 每天晚上我们都以积极和消极的方式交替睡眠，以求在体力和精神两方面得到休息。
3. Passive sleep is also known as slow-wave sleep because the brain waves move in a very sloe, regular rhythm, during which the body is at rest, the heart beat slows down, and the body processes become very slow. 消极睡眠又叫做慢波睡眠，这是因为消极睡眠时，我们的脑电波处于一种非常缓慢而有节奏的波动状态，人体处于一种安宁的状态，心脏跳动的节奏减缓了，人体机能的运行变得非常缓慢。
4. When we enter the active stage of sleep, the brain temperature rises, the amount of blood in the brain increase, the eyes begin to move rapidly, and the brain goes from being very inactive to being active. 当我们进入积极睡眠后，大脑温度会上升，脑血液流量会增加，眼球会快速转动，大脑由静止不动状态转为积极活动状态。
5. We all experience these sleep cycles with no exception, and the truth is we need passive sleep to rest our bodies and active sleep to rest our minds. 我们每个人都毫无例外的经历这些睡眠阶段，因为我们不仅需要消极睡眠以休息身体，也需要积极睡眠以休息大脑。
6. From recorded time, man has been fascinated with music and the hardware of sound reproduction. 有史记载以来，人类一直痴迷于音乐，痴迷于录制音乐的音响设备。
7. American inventor Thomas Edison, who was considered the father of sound recording, developed the phonograph, the first device to record voice in the world. It was not long before the musical uses of his invention were recognized and marketed. 被誉为录音之父的美国发明家托马斯爱迪生发明了留声机，这是世界上第一台录音设备。时隔不久，爱迪生这项发明的音乐应用价值便为世人所知，并推向了市场。
8. The modern recording industry was born to satisfy an enormous market for all types of music: folk, classic, orchestral and popular. 现代录音行业的诞生，旨在满足旨在满足市场对各种音乐（如民乐、古典乐、管弦乐、流行音乐等音乐）的巨大需求。
9. The widespread use of electricity led to the invention of the invention the portable record player, while the rise of the electronic industry fed the growing demand for hi-fi stereo systems. 电的广泛使用使便携式电唱机面世，而电子行业的出现则刺激了人们对高保真音响系统不断增长的需求。
10. The CD system is based on the technology of computers with music information stored and reproduced digitally. CD音响系统是一种用数码存储设音乐与再现音乐的电脑技术音响设备。
11. It is certain that the ever-improving technology will give rise to another development beyond digital sound, making the CD obsolete from general use. 可以断定，不断改进的技术必将产生一种超越数码阶段的音响系统，致使CD光碟推出大众使用的舞台。
12. The advancement of times has turned many electronic devices that were regarded as luxury possessions into affordable and mass-produced commodities used by the general public. 随着时代的发展，许多昨日被视为奢侈