大学英语精读第三版(上海外语教育出版社董亚芬主编)第二册Book2 Unit1~Unit10 翻译
1.她砰地关上门，一声不吭地走了，他们之间那场争执就此结束。Their argument ended when she slammed the door and left without a word.
The guests at the dinner party were slightly surprised at the commanding tone of the American.
Johnny has outgrown the fear of staying at home alone.
4. 当全部乘客都向出口处(exit) 走去时，他却独自留在座位上，好像不愿意离开这架飞机似的。
While all the other passengers made for the exit, he alone remained in his seat as if unwilling to leave the plane.
The letter is to be handed to Dr. Wilson himself.
While she felt like joining in the argument, Nancy was too shy to open her mouth.
What do you think is the likeliest time to find him at home?
8. 猎人一看见有只狐狸从树丛中出现并向他设下(lay) 的陷阱(trap) 方向跑去，脸上顿时闪出了兴奋的表情。
The hunter’s face lit up with excitement as soon as he saw a fox emerge from among the bushes and run in the direction of / make for the trap he had laid.
It was suggested at the meeting that a committee of eleven be appointed to make a new constitution.
By making on-the-spot observations, the young scientists obtained first-hand information they needed in their research work.
It is very likely that he will be rejected by the army because of his bad eyesight.
4) 委员会成员在新机场最佳选址(location) 这一问题上持有不同意见。
The committee members have conflicting opinions as to the best location of the new airport.
Henry's works of art are superior in many respects to those of his brother's.
6) 我们产品质量的稳步提高在很大程度上是由于设备有所改进。The steady rise in the quality of our products owes much to the improvement of our equipment.
Jim would have preferred to act on his own judgment, but he didn't because as a soldier he had to obey the order.
Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a city without bikes or one without cars, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.
1. She got a post as a cashier at a local bank. But she was soon fired because she proved to be incompetent.
2. It is obviously/clearly his young assistant who is running the book store.
3. No sooner had the proposal been announced at the meeting than she got to her feet to protest.
4. Bill has applied to Harvard University for a teaching assistantship, but his chances of getting it are slim.
5. Being short of funds, they are trying to attract foreign capital.
6. The room smells of stale air. It must have been vacant for a long time.
7. As far as hobbies are concerned, Jane and her sister have little in common.
8. It is self-evident that the education of the young is vital to the future of a country.
The little girl ran so fast that she was thrown off balance and fell over
2) 他致力于研究工作的精神(devotion to research) 给我留下了很深印象，但我对他那些深奥的理论丝毫不感兴趣。
I was impressed by his devotion to research but I did not have the slightest interest in his profound theories.
Be sure not to say anything capable of being misunderstood.
I was so bewildered by their conflicting advice that I did not know how to act/what to do.
At first this complicated problem frustrated them, but after thinking it over carefully they finally worked out a solution.
6) 体育代表团团长在少先队员向他献上一束鲜花时愉快地笑了。The head of the sports delegation beamed with delight when a young pioneer presented him with a bunch of flowers.
I really don't see why our English teacher should single out our monitor for praise since we have all done quite well this term.
8) 我相信比较高级的| (higher) |动物是由比较低级的|（lower）|动物
I believe in the theory that the higher animals developed from the lower ones.
If the rich countries spent more money on green industries, instead of on building up military machines and nuclear weapons, many of today's widespread pollution problems would gradually disappear. 2) 烧煤的时候，不仅消耗房子里面的氧气，而且还散发出有毒的气体。
The burning of coal not only consumes the oxygen in the house but also gives out poisonous gases.
3) 显然，找到替代能源对我们经济的稳定发展是至关重要的。Apparently, finding alternative energy sources is essential to the steady development of our economy.
4) 太阳能电池（solar cell）能吸收阳光并把它变成电。
Solar cells can absorb sunlight and convert it into electricity.
5) 如果地球上的温度继续年复一年地上升，极地的冰帽将会开始融化，沿海城市中一半的建筑物很可能会消失在劈啪飞溅的海浪下面。If the temperature on the Earth continues to go up from year to year,
the polar ice caps will begin to melt and, in all likelihood, half of the buildings in coastal cities will disappear beneath splashing sea waves.
Because these creatures are small and tend to hide beneath leafy plants, they are not always visible to the naked eye.
As a result of exposure to atomic radiation, he finally collapsed at work.
8) 有明显的证据表明工作上的重压与身体的某些毛病有联系。There is distinct evidence of the connection between heavy pressure of work and some disorders of the body.
If / As long as you keep (on) trying, you will be able to resolve this difficult problem sooner or later.
We anticipate encountering / that we will encounter resistance to our plan / our plan will meet with resistance.
Jim's friends said that the noise pollution in their city was terrible, but they had to live with it.
At first Tom thought that with his knowledge, skill and experience he was bound to find a satisfactory job.
5) 冷静耐心地处理这个微妙(delicate) 问题是明智的。
It would be wise / advisable to handle this delicate problem with calmness and patience.
Dick thought that if he wasn't able to take the machine apart, chances were that no other worker in the plant could, either.
Do you think bus drivers should take full responsibility for the passengers' safety?
8) 你不必再去多想那些判断上的失误了。重要的是尽量避免再犯。You needn't dwell on your mistakes in judgment any more. What's important is to try your best to avoid repeating them.
Under the leadership of the local government, the villagers rose to the serious food crisis caused by the floods.
The exhibition is very popular and is attracting a steady stream of visitors.
When Mom came upstairs to check on us kids, I turned over and pretended to be asleep.
Waging a battle against the drug pushers was a challenge to Armstead. She felt rather nervous but she decided to confront them.
The old lady told me to be cautious and not to talk to the guys hanging out on the street corner.
A health organization prompted the local government to raise a three-million-dollar fund for a new hospital.
7) 那个曾放火烧教堂的男子打开门时，迎面遇到十来个持枪的警察。Opening the door, the man who had set fire to the church found
himself confronted by a dozen policemen with guns.
It is reported that the fire which raged for more than two hours started in an abandoned warehouse / store.
Vast amounts of investment have enabled the economy of the area to grow rapidly.
They launched a campaign to raise money for a new hospital.
3) 成功在于勤奋(diligence)，诺兰医生就是一个很好的例证。Success lies in diligence. Dr. Nolen is a case in point.
4) 他们都具有很高的道德标准，决不会受诱惑接受如此贵重的礼品。Men of high moral standards, they are never to be tempted into taking such expensive gifts.
There are indications that numerous factories are faced with a very difficult situation.
The police arrested the criminal on a charge of armed robbery
several hours after they found an important clue to his identity.
7) 调查显示，对某些人来说，退休往往会造成心理上的病痛。Investigation has revealed that retirement tends to cause psychological troubles for some people.
The medical team did more than complain about the relatively poor working conditions at the local hospital. For instance, several doctors bought simple medical instruments with their own money.
Everything points to the fact / indicates that something has gone wrong with his project / plan.
The author argues that we should not take it for granted that those who score high on intelligence tests will naturally do well in practical work.
I picked out some English idioms and tried them on my classmates.
Three professors were asked to make an evaluation of the teaching plans devised by the new teachers.
It is a very small loss to / for us. Don't make such a fuss over it.
He scored far more points / much higher than any of his rivals and proved himself a worthy winner.
The two animals are similar in appearance, but they belong to different species.
I don't know for sure whether the bank will grant him the loan he has applied for.
1) 作者想通过这篇文章向读者传达她对赞扬与批评的看法。Through the article the author wants to convey to the readers her views on praise and criticism.
As parents we should know that for children an ounce of praise is worth a pound of scolding.
3) 这位教师并不是一个了不起的学者，但他的确懂得怎样把一门课教得活泼而有趣。(in a ... manner)
The teacher isn't much of a scholar, but he does know how to teach a course in a lively and interesting manner.
We often find it much more difficult to apply a rule than to know it.
She never scolds her children for squabbling. Instead, she gives them
a few words of praise when they play quietly.
Mr. Green was always critical of his daughter's writings, but somehow he commented favorably on that poorly written poem of hers.
Quite a few students in our class were publicly criticized by the teacher for failing to hand in their compositions on time.
A good teacher should be very alert to the progress his students make
/ are making. If their progress is ignored / goes unnoticed, the students will feel discouraged.