( confront )
He has prepared answers to the questions that he may confront during the interview.
2. 他悲惨的遭遇深深打动了我们，使我们几乎哭出声来。(touch )
His sad experience touched us so deeply that we nearly cried.
(hand in hand)
The two of them are walking hand in hand along the riverbank, chatting and laughing.
4. 听到这令人激动的消息之后，他眼睛里涌出欢乐的泪水。(well up)
When he heard the exciting news, tears of joy welled up in his eyes.
5. 上海人容易听懂苏州话，因为上海话和苏州话有许多共同之处。(in common) People from Shanghai can understand Suzhou dialect with ease, for Shanghai dialect and Suzhou dialect have much in common.
6. 亨利和妻子正在考虑能不能在3年内买一幢新房子。(look into)
Henry and his wife are looking into the possibility of buying a new house within three years.
( give in to )
He finally gave in to his daughter 's repeated requests to further her education abroad.
8. 我们在动身去度假之前把所有的贵重物品都锁好了。(lock away)
We locked all our valuables away before we went on holiday.
9. 虽然咱们分手了，但我希望咱们依然是好朋友，像以前一样互相关心，互相帮助。(part) Although we have parted from each other, I hope that we will remain good friends and that we will care for and help each other just as we used to.
10. 在紧急关头，军长召集全体军官开会，制定新的克敌战略战术。(summon ) At the critical moment, the army commander summoned all the officers to work out new strategies and tactics to conquer the enemy.
1. 一个由外交部长率领的政府代表团昨天抵达南非，开始对该国进行为期 3 天的友好访问。( head )
A government delegation headed by the Minister of Foreign Affairs arrived in South Africa
yesterday, starting a three-day friendly visit to the country.
2. 看看这些讽刺社会弊端的漫画实在好笑。 ( awfully funny )
It is awfully funny to look at these caricatures which satirize social ills.
来。( show on a screen)
Computers are one of the most useful teaching tools, for all your lessons as well as all the
questions and all the answers can be shown on a screen.
4. 张利的母亲前天突然病倒，他赶紧派人请来医生。(send for)
Zhang Li' s mother fell ill the day before yesterday, so he sent for a doctor immediately.
( disappoint ) He failed in the college entrance examination last year, but he didn 't feel
disappointed. Instead, he continued to study hard, passed the examination successfully and became a student in a famous university this year.
6. 这个中学生有许多英语单词发音不准。 ( pronounce )
This middle school student can 't pronounce many English words correctly.
7. 在这个信息爆炸的时代，我们必须不断努力更新知识，才能适应工作的需要。( become adjusted to )
In this era of information explosion, we have to make constant efforts to renew our knowledge. Only thus can we become adjusted to the requirement of our work.
8. 那男孩把衬衫塞进裤腰里，将皮包夹在腋下，看上去俨然一副老板模样。( tuck) With his shirt t ucked into the top of his trousers and a leather bag under his arm, the boy looks just like a boss.
9. 这位女孩虽然只有8岁，但已擅长计算分数了。难怪她父母为她感到自豪。(fraction ) Although she is only eight years old, the little girl is quite good at calculating fractions. No wonder her parents feel proud of her.
10. 街坊四邻都已听说那个消息了，而你却没听说过，你说怪不怪？( neighborhood )
All the neighborhood have heard of the news, but you haven '. D t on 'y t ou think it is strange?
( get away)
I am sorry I am late, but I was at a meeting just now and couldn 'g t et away.
( appreciation ) At the concert, whenever a singer finished singing a beautiful song, the audience would cheer loudly to show their appreciation.
3. 她是个穿着时髦的人，对饮食很少讲究。 ( stylish)
She is always wearing stylish clothes, but she seldom cares about diet.
( do wonders for )
The nurse told me that the doctors had done wonders for your heart disease.
5. 主席颁奖时赞美获奖者为人类作出了巨大的贡献。( compliment )
When awarding the prize, the chairman complimented the winner on his great contribution to mankind.
6. 这个问题许多年来使专家们迷惑不解。( bother )
This problem has bothered the experts for many years.
7. 警察到达后，示威的人群逐渐散开了。( melt away )
The crowd of demonstrators melted away when the police arrived.
punctuality ) Since punctuality is a good habit, we should pay special attention to it and make every effort to cultivate it.
9. 老人疼爱那女孩，就好像她是自己的女儿一样。( cherish )
The old man cherishes that girl, as if she were his own daughter.
( routine )
It is just a routine physical checkup, and there is nothing to be worried about.
( strengthen )
It is an attempt made to strengthen our competitive ability.
2. 这个地区的警察知道那些小偷经常出没于哪些地方。(hang out )
The police in this area know where the thieves usually hang out.
3. 这些签署的协议将冲破对自由贸易设置的所有障碍。( break down )
The agreements signed will break down all the barriers to free trade.
4. 那是一种非常困难的局势，但他应付得很成功。(handle )
It was a very difficult situation, but he handled it very successfully.
5. 他是我最好的朋友。既然他需要我的帮助，我不可能对他置之不理。( turn one 's back on) He is my best friend. I just can 't t urn my back on him since he needs my help.
6. 只要你努力工作，你迟早一定会获得成功，实现自己的抱负。( sooner or later ) So long as you work hard, you are bound to succeed and realize your ambition sooner or later.
7. 虽然他讨厌这工作，但他决心坚持干下去，因为他需要钱来养家。(stick it out ) Although he hates the job, yet he is determined to stick it out because he needs the money to
support his family.
8. 那位癌症病人对疾病始终抱乐观的态度，坚持与疾病作斗争，最后终于战胜了癌症。 (keep
an attitude )
That cancer patient kept an optimistic attitude towards his disease, persisted in combating it, and conquered it in the end.
9?这所大学拥有教职工2000多人，其中包括150名左右教授和500余名副教授。(have a staff) This university has a staff of more than 2000, including about 150 professors and over 500
The concert was held to mark the 75 th anniversary of the composer 'sdeath.
That psychiatrist who had talked about his patients in public, was charged with violating professional ethics.
2. 教室的墙上悬挂着一些名言，令人鼓舞，催人奋发。（hang on）
Hanging on the walls of the classroom are some famous sayings, which inspire and urge all the students to exert themselves.
3. 各种各样的商品应有尽有，什么都不短缺。 (in short supply ) Various commodities are
available, and nothing is in short supply.
4. 我们都信任董事长，因为他是个刚正不阿的人。( integrity )
We all trust the president of the board, who is a man of absolute integrity.
5. 在我们投票支持他之前，我们想知道他的主张。(stand for )
Before we vote for him, we 'd like to know what he stands for.
6. 这笔钱是在被告家里发现的，被告不能对此做出令人满意的解释。( account for ) The defendant couldn ' t account for the fact that the money was found in his house.
7. 看到他是正确的。我只好放弃原来的主张。 (back down)
Seeing that he was right, I had to back down.
8. 因为她既聪明又勤奋，所以被任命为销售经理。(appoint )
She has been appointed sales manager, for she is both intelligent and diligent.
9. 本届政府所面临的最大挑战之一是创造更多的就业机会。( challenge)
One of the biggest challenges confronted by the present government is to create more jobs.
10. 我们的战士们猛攻敌人的堡垒，其势如暴风骤雨，没过多久，敌人就投降了。( succumb) The enemy succumbed soon after our soldiers stormed its stronghold.
1. 她感到为难的是要不要把丈夫得了不治之症的真相告诉他。( dilemma )
The dilemma she is facing is whether to tell her husband the truth about his fatal disease.
2. 你都三十几岁了还在啃老，难道不觉得羞耻吗？( stigma)
Don' t you think it a sort of stigma that you, already in your t hirties, still have to depend on your old parents?
3. 全世界几乎所有的政府都十分关注这个金融问题。(be concerned about)
Almost all the governments in the world are very much concerned about the financial issue.
4. 至于英语教学研讨会，我建议在本周末召开。( with regard to )
With regard to the seminar on English teaching, I suggest that it be held on the coming weekend.
whether or not )
Whether to go abroad for further education or not is entirely up to you.
6. 只要有一颗火星就能在充满煤气的房间里引起爆炸。( lead to)
Just a single spark can lead to an explosion in a room filled with gas.
降。( decline )
No matter what efforts the government has made, the price for housing has barely declined.
8?为了通过“托福”考试，他把业余时间的每分每秒几乎全花在学习英语上了。(devote…to) In order to pass TOEFL, he has devoted almost every minute of his spare time to English studies.
9?凭借他的表演潜力，那个小伙子有可能成为娱乐界的超级明星。(pote ntial n..)
With his acting potential, the young man is likely to be a superstar in the field of entertainment.
10.人们相信，兄弟姐妹之间的妒忌多见于有钱之家，而不是贫困人家。( sibling jealousy )
It is believed that sibling jealousy exists more in a rich family than in a poor one.
1. 我爬上峭壁，以便饱览大海的景色。( scramble)
I scrambled up the cliff for a good view of the sea.
2. 他向窃贼猛扑过去，为夺取武器与之搏斗。( lunge)
He lunged at the burglar and wrestled with him for the weapon.
3. 我认为我国国民经济将继续快速增长。(figure )
I figure that our national economy will continue to develop rapidly.
4. 董事长力图让股东们放心，公司业绩不佳的情况不会再发生。( reassure)
The chairman made an effort to reassure the shareholders that the company not be repeated.
s bad results wou
5. 别像个孩子似的，要控制住你自己！( pull oneself together )
Stop behaving like a baby! Pull yourself together!
6. 他是个非常隐秘的人，从不向任何人透露自己的秘密。 ( confide in )
Being very much a private man, he doesn 'tconfide in anyone.
7. 我们憎恨恐怖分子对普通人不加区别的施暴行为。 ( indiscriminate )
We all hate the terrorists ' indiscriminate violence against ordinary people.
Many people in this country are alarmed by the dramatic increase in violent crimes.
9. 我们预料敌人可能设法过河，所以我们把桥摧毁了。 ( anticipate)
We anticipated that the enemy would try to cross the river, so we destroyed the bridge.
成功而不辞辛劳的人们。( be indebted to)
I am indebted to all the people who worked so hard to make the party a great success.
1. 圣诞节期间，大家都很开心，互相拜访，互赠贺卡和礼物。( enjoy)
At Christmas people enjoy themselves very much; they visit one another and give Christmas cards and presents to each other.
2. 她的卧室和起居室墙上贴满了流行歌星和电影明星的照片。( decorate ) The walls of her bedroom and living room are all decorated with photos of pop singers and film stars.
3. 索菲娅委婉地取笑汤姆那顶新帽子，而汤姆则不顾情面地就她的卷发戏弄了她一番。 ( tease
sb. about )
Sophia teased Tom about his new hat mildly, but Tom teased her about her curly hair unmercifully.
4. 他取得了非凡的成就，超过了为自己确定的目标。( surpass)
He had attained remarkable achievements which surpassed the goal he had set for himself.
5. 他痛哭不止，我设法劝他不要过度悲伤。 (give way to )
He kept crying bitterly, and I tried to persuade him not to give way to grief.
6. 我想当然地认为你想看这出戏，所以给你买了一张票。(take for granted )
I took it for granted that you would like to see the drama, so I bought you a ticket.
7. 他们已经把这些问题降到优先考虑事项表上靠后的位置了。( relegate)
They have relegated these problems somewhere down on the priority list.
8. 我将通过唐娜的律师把这封信寄给她。 (address)
I am going to address the letter to Donna in care of her lawyer.
9. 我告诉她那个消息时，不知自己为什么喉咙哽咽起来。( a lump in one 's throat )
I don ' t know why telling her the news put a lump in my throat.
10. 水手们白天用信号旗发信号，夜间则用信号灯发信号。( signal)
Sailors signal with flags by day and with lights at night.