Part I Cloze Test
Directions: This part, numbered 1 to 15, is to test your grammar and vocabulary ability. Each of the blanks to is followed by four choices of suggested choices marked A), B), C) and D). Make the best choice and write the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
Workers aren't allowed to go into a huge underground computer center 1 they step up to a machine that 2 a quick picture of the tiny blood vessels(管) inside their eyes.
If the machine can't 3 the picture with images in its computer, the worker is 4 by security (安全) guards.
Each person has his own pattern of blood vessels in his or her eyes. And unlike a key, the pattern can't be 5 .
Old --fashioned keys and locks may soon be things of the past.
High--tech security devices(装置) are being 6 at military bases, computer centers, nuclear plants and banks. Companies that 7 the machines say they'll someday be used in people's homes and cars.
Already, a Japanese firm has fixed devices that 8 people's fingerprints in 360 new homes. The machines open the doors only for the 9 of the houses.
The new security devices are selling well because thieves and spies are getting better at breaking 10 buildings and computers that are protected by 11. Since 12 can steal or copy a fingerprint or eye pattern, the new machines are 13 .
14 new machines recognize voice patterns. Two American companies use voice--recognition machines to keep an eye on their computers.
Inexpensive voice--recognition machines may someday 15 locks on cars. The doors would open only for the owners. The devices would cost the owners as little as $ 270.
Although the up--to--date devices are amazing, scientists must still solve a(n) serious problem. How wi11 a boy borrow his dad's car without borrowing dad's voice
1. A. if B. even if C. until D. after
2. A. take B. give C. draw D. show
3. A. match B. fit C. compare D. share
4. A. caught B. killed C. beaten D. stopped
5. A. borrowed B. missed C. stolen D. bought
6. A. fixed B. dealt with C. repaired D. checked
7. A. buy B. sell C. make D. copy
8. A. remember B. store C. count D. recognize
9. A. makers B. buyers C. sellers D. owners
10. A. through B. in C. into D. out
11. A. computers B. security devices C. cameras D. keys and locks
12. A. nobody B. everybody C. anybody D. somebody
13. A. safe B. unusual C. helpful D. useful
14. A. Other B. Another C. More D. Others
15. A. take place of B. replace C. take place D. place back
Part II Vocabulary & Structure (15 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your ability to use words and phrases correctly to construct meaningful and grammatically correct sentences. It consists of 2 sections.
Directions: There are 10 incomplete statements here. You are required to complete each statement by choosing the appropriate answer from the 4 choices marked A), B), C) and D). You should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
16. We must find a way to cut prices ________ reducing our profits too much.
A) without B) despite C) with D) for
17. She did n’t know ________ to express her ideas in English clearly in public.
A) which B) why C) what D) how
18. ________ the weather improves, we will suffer a huge loss in the tourist industry.
A)As B) Since C) While D) Unless
B)19. We are happy at the good news ________ Mr. Black has been awarded the Best Manager.
A)that B) which C) what D) whether
20. It is important that we ________ the task ahead of time.
A) will fish B) finished C) finish D) shall finish
21. Would you please pass me the book ________ cover is black
A) which B) whose C) that D) its
22. ________ in the company for three years, Mark has become experienced in business negotiations.
A) Having worked B) Have been working C) Have worked D) Worked
23. Not until she arrived at the meeting room ________ she had forgotten to bring the document.
A)she realized B) did she realize C) she did realize D) does she realize
24. John had never been abroad before, ________ he found the business trip very exciting.
A) because B) though C) so D) while
25. ________ some students are able to find employment after graduation, others will have to return to school and earn an advanced degree.
A) Since B) While C) Because D) If
Directions: There are also 10 incomplete statements here. You should fill in each blank with the proper form of the word given in brackets. Write the word or words in the corresponding space on the Answer Sheet.
26.Employees are not allowed (make) ________ personal phone calls in the office.
27.The shop assistant priced the goods before (put) ________ them on the shelf.
28.The purpose of new technology is to make life (easy) ________, not to make it more difficult.
29.The proposal about the annual sales (discuss) ________ at the next board meeting.
30.Since we work in different sections of the company, we see each other only (occasional) ________.
31. Some domestic manufacturers are busy increasing production, losing the chance to develop more (advance) ________ technology.
32. I shall appreciate your effort in (correct) ________ this error in my bank account as soon as possible.
33. If your neighbors are too noisy, then you have a good reason to make your (complain) ________.
34. 30 percent of the students who (interview) ________ yesterday believe they should continue with their education until they have a university degree.
35. Measures should be taken to avoid the negative effect (bring) ________ about by unfair competition.
Part III Reading Comprehension (40 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your reading ability. There are 5 tasks for you to fulfill. You should read the reading materials carefully and do the tasks as you are instructed.
Directions: After reading the following passage, you will find 5 questions or unfinished statements, numbered 36 to 40. For each question or statement there are 4 choices marked A), B), C) and D). You should make the correct choice and mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
Google, the Internet search-engine company, has announced it will give more than twenty-five million dollars in money and investments to help the poor. The company says the effort involves using the power of information and technology to help people improve their lives.
Aleem Walji works for -- the part of the company that gives money to good causes. He said the company’s first project will help identify where infectious (传染性的) diseases are developing. In Southeast Asia and Africa, for example, will work with partners to strengthen early-warning systems and take action against growing health threats.
’s second project will invest in ways to help small and medium-sized businesses grow. Walji says microfinance (小额信贷) is generally small, short-term loans that create few jobs. Instead, he says wants to develop ways to bring investors and business owners together to create jobs and improve economic growth.
will also give money to help two climate-change programs announced earlier this year. One of these programs studies ways to make renewable (再生的) energy less costly than coal-based energy. The other is examining the efforts being made to increase the use of electric cars.
The creators of Google have promised to give about one percent of company profits and one percent of its total stock value every year. Aleem Walji says this amount may increase in the future.
36. The purpose of Google’s investments is to ________.
A) help poor people B) develop new technology
C) expand its own business D) increase the power of information
37. According to Aleem Walji, the company’s first project is to ________.
A) set up a new system to warn people of infectious diseases
B) find out where infectious diseases develop
C) identify the causes of infectious diseases
D) cure patients of infectious diseases
38. What kind of businesses will benefit from ’s second project
A) large enterprises B) cross-national companies
C) foreign-funded corporations D) small and medium-sized businesses
39. From the fourth paragraph, we learn that Google’s money is also invested to help ________.
A) start more research programs B) make more advanced electric cars
C) develop renewable and coal-based energy D) conduct studies related to climate changes
40. From the last paragraph we learn that the investments by come from ________.
A) Google’s profits and stock value B) some international IT companies
C) the company’s own interests D) local commercial banks
Directions: This task is the same as Task 1. The 5 questions or unfinished statements are numbered 41 to 45.
Your boss holds your future prospects in his hands. Some bosses are hard to get along with. Some have excellent qualifications but no idea when it comes to dealing with people. Of course, not all bosses are like that.
The relationship you have with your boss can be a major factor in determining your rise up the career ladder. Your boss is not only your leader, he is also the person best equipped to help you do the job you are paid to do. He can inform you of company direction that may affect your professional development.
Your boss also needs you to perform at your best in order to accomplish his objectives. He needs your feedback in order to provide realistic and useful reports to upper management. But how does this help you establish a meaningful working relationship with your boss
The key is communication. Learn and understand his goals and priorities (优先的事). Observe and understand yo ur boss’s work style. If he has not been clear with his expectations, ask! Likewise, ask for feedback and accept criticism gracefully. And if he understands that you do not view your job as just something to fill the hours between 9 and 5, he may be more likely to help you.
In short, getting along with your boss requires getting to know his likes and dislikes and learning to work with his personality and management style.
41. The main idea of the first paragraph is that ________.
A) bosses are hard to deal with B) bosses have good character
C) bosses determine your career future D) bosses must have similar personality
42. In the second paragraph, “rise up the career ladder” (Line 2) means ________.
A) going to work abroad B) changing jobs frequently
C) being promoted in position D) pursuing an advanced degree
43. In order to achieve his objectives, your boss expects that you will ________.
A) do your best in your work B) show your management skills
C) get along with your colleagues D) write reports to upper management
44. The most important factor for establishing a good working relationship with the boss is
A) high expectations B) quick feedback
C) frequent criticism D) effective communication
45. The best title for the passage might be ________.
A) How to Take Care of Your Boss B) How to Get Along with Your Boss
C) How to Accept Your Boss’s Criticism D) How to Accomplish Your Boss’s Objective
Directions: The following is a Memo. After reading it, you are required to complete the outline below it to . You should write your answers briefly (in no more than three words) on the Answer Sheet correspondingly.
We welcome you aboard the Eastern Flight and will do our best to make your trip comfortable and enjoyable.
For your safety and convenience
To begin the trip, we would like to draw your attention to some safety-related details. These are also explained on the instruction card in the seat pocket in front of you. Seat belts must remain fastened while the “Fasten seatbelts” sign is on. It is advisable to keep them fastened at all times while seated. All flights are non-smoking. The use of mobile telephones is now allowed when the airplane is on the ground. During the flight the use of CD and DVD players is not allowed.
For your entertainment
To help you enjoy your trip, we provide a range of newspapers. On our MD-11 and
Boeing aircraft, we provide music and video programs. On Airbus A 321/320/319,
short videos are shown.
Meals and drinks
During most flights we serve you a tasty meal and drinks. Beer, wine and other drinks are served free of charge. Coffee, tea and juice are served free of charge on all domestic (国内的) flights. On domestic flights leaving before nine and on all flights to Northern China, a snack is served.
Eastern Flight Service
Safety and convenience
1) Seat belts: remain 46 while the “Fasten seatbelts” sign is on
2) Smoking: not allowed on board
3) Mobile phones: used only when the airplane is 47
4) CD and DVD: not allowed to play 48
2) music and 49 on MD-11 and Boeing aircraft
Meals and drinks on board
1) meals served on most flights
2) coffee, tea and juice served free of charge
3) a snack served on all flights to 50
Directions: The following is a list of terms used in the waybill (详情单) of the Express Mail Service. After reading it, you are required to find the items equivalent to (与…等同) those given in Chinese in the table below. Then you should put the corresponding letters in the brackets on the Answer Sheet, numbered 51 through 55.
A ----------------- air traffic control system
B ----------------- armed police
C ----------------- crime prevention
D ----------------- entry requirement
E ----------------- international criminal police organization
F ----------------- level of security
G ----------------- picket line
H ----------------- police station
I ----------------- patrolling vehicle
J ----------------- safety precaution measure
K ----------------- safety control device
L ----------------- security command center
M ----------------- security service
N ----------------- security control center
O ----------------- security personnel
P ----------------- valid documents
Q ----------------- security monitoring and control
Examples: ( M ) 保安服务( G ) 警戒线
51. ( ) 空中交通管制系统( ) 安全预防措施
52. ( ) 巡逻车( ) 武装警察
53. ( ) 国际刑警组织( ) 有效证件
54. ( ) 入境要求( ) 安保人员
55. ( ) 安全保障级别( ) 安全监控
Directions: The following is a business letter. After reading it, you should give brief answers to the 5 questions to that follow. The answers (in no more than 3 words) should be written after the corresponding numbers on the Answer Sheet.
Dear Mr. Smith,
I am pleased to offer you the position of the after-sales manager at our company starting on 16 June, 2009. I propose that the terms of employment will be those in the attached draft individual employment agreement.
Please note that you are entitled to discuss this offer and to seek advice on the attached proposed agreement with your family, a union, a lawyer, or someone else you trust. If you want some information on your employment rights, you can also contact the Employment Service Office or visit our website.
Also, if you disagree with, or do not understand or wish to clarify anything in this offer, please ring me to discuss any issue you wish to raise.
If you are happy with the proposed terms and wish to accept this offer of employment, please sign the duplicate copy of this letter and return it to me by 1 June, 2009. In the event I have not heard from you by that date, this offer will be automatically withdrawn on that date.
I look forward to working with you.
56. What job position is offered to Mr. Smith in the letter
57. From whom may Mr. Smith seek advice about the proposed agreement
His family, a union, _____________________, or someone else he trusts.
58. How can Mr. Smith get information about employment rights
By contacting the ___________________________ or visiting its website.
59. When should Mr. Smith return the signed duplicate copy of this letter
60. What will happen if the duplicate copy of the letter is not returned by the deadline
This offer will be ___________________________________ on that date.
Part IV Translation -- English into Chinese (25 minutes)
Directions: This part, numbered 61 to 65, is to test your ability to translate Englishinto Chinese. Each of the four sentences to is followed by four choices of suggested translation marked A), B), C) and D). Make the best choice and write the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet. Write your translation of the paragraph in the corresponding space on the Translation/Composition Sheet.
61. If either party wants to renew the contract, it should submit a written notice to the other party three months prior to the expiration of the contract.
62. There is no sign that the world economic crisis will lessen in the next few months, although a certain degree of recovery is in sight.
63. Most of the issues concerning personnel management have been solved satisfactorily; only a few of secondary importance remain to be discussed.
A) 多数有关人员管理的问题顺利地解决了, 仅剩下几个问题还需要进行第二次讨论。
64. Only in this way can Chinese enterprises improve their competitiveness and avoid being defeated by their foreign rivals after China’s entry into the WTO.
65. Thank you, Mr. Black. It’s a great honor to be appointed as Overseas Sales Manager. To be honest, this promotion came as quite a surprise to me. I’d like to think it’s mainly the contribution of the whole team. I’d like to thank all my colleagues in the company for their support and hard work. Due to their efforts, we’ve started some overseas projects successfully. Looking t o the future, I’d still like to maintain contact with everyone, even though I’ll be working at the management level.
Part V Writing (25 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. You are required to write a business letter according to the following information given in Chinese. Remember to do your writing on the Translation/Composition Sheet.
Words for references:
广交会Guangzhou Trade Fair
Part I Cloze Test (每题1分，共15分) 1-15 CAADC ACDDC DAAAB
Part II Structure
Section A (每题1分，共10分)16. A 17. D 18. D 19. A 20. C 21. B 22. A 23. B 24. C 25. B Section B (每题1分，共10分)
26. to make 27. putting 28. easier 29. will be discussed / is to be discussed / should be discussed 30. occasionally 31. advanced 32. correcting 33. complaint (complaining不扣分) 34. were interviewed 35. brought
Part III Reading Comprehension
Task 1 (每题2分，共10分) 36. A 37. B 38. D 39. D 40. A
Task 2 (每题2分，共10分) 41. C 42. C 43. A 44. D 45. B
Task 3 (每题1分，共5分)
46. fastened 47. on the ground 48. during the flight 49. video programs 50. Northern China
Task 4 (每题1分，共5分) 51. A, J 52. I, B 53. E, P 54. D, O 55. F, Q
Task 5 (每题1分，共5分)56. (The) after-sales manager 57. a lawyer 58. Employment Service Office 59. 1 June, 2009 60. (automatically) withdrawn
Part IV Translation (61-64每题2分，65题7分，共15分)
61-64 D C B B
65. (共7分) 参考译文：
Part V Writing （15分）