Their argument ended when she slammed the door and left without a word.
The guests at the dinner party were slightly surprised at the commanding tone of the American.
Johnny has outgrown the fear of staying at home alone.
4. 当全部乘客都向出口处(exit) 走去时，他却独自留在座位上，好像不愿意离开这架飞机似的。
While all the other passengers made for the exit, he alone remained in his seat as if unwilling to leave the plane.
The letter is to be handed to Dr. Wilson himself.
While she felt like joining in the argument, Nancy was too shy to open her mouth.
What do you think is the likeliest time to find him at home?
8. 猎人一看见有只狐狸从树丛中出现并向他设下(lay) 的陷阱(trap) 方向跑去，脸上顿时闪出了兴奋的表情。
The hunter’s face lit up with excitement as soon as he saw a fox emerge from among the bushes and run in the direction of / make for the trap he had laid.
English to Chinese:
1. It was an early September day, cool and bright and just right for running, and I was in the first few miles of a 10-mile race over a course through steep, exhausting hills.
2.The pace felt comfortable, so I decided to stay where I was;
why bother concentrating on pace when she was setting such a nice one?
3.There was still a noticeable bounce in her stride, but whatever
springiness I had once possessed had long since left me.
4. We were still a mile from the finish line, so whatever happened on the hill would
almost certainly determine who crossed it first.
5. Yet as Peggy Mimno so clearly demonstrated, the similarities between male and female runners are more important than the differences
It was suggested at the meeting that a committee of eleven be appointed to make a new constitution.
By making on-the-spot observation, the young scientist obtained first-hand information they needed in their research work.
It is very likely that he will be rejected by the army because of his bad eyesight.
The committee members have conflicting opinions as to the best location of the new airport.
Henry’s works of art are superior in many respects to those of his brother’s.
6. 我们产品质量的稳步提高在很大程度上是由于设备有所改进。(owe much to) The steady rise in the quality of our products owes much to the improvement of our equipment.
7. 吉姆本想按照自己的判断行事，但他没有这样做，因为作为军人他得服从命令。Jim would have preferred to act on his own judgment, but he didn’t because as a soldier he had to obey the order.
Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a city without bikes or one without cars. I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.
Understanding Difficult Sentences
1. Writers note that the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. is not unlike the temples that ancient Greeks built in honor of their gods, and that annual ceremonies of celebrating Lincoln’s birthday in schools a nd public places have sometimes had characteristics of religious services.
2. Americans admire the self-made person—the one who, with neither money nor family influence, fights his or her way to the top.
3. When reformers in the northern states put pressure on Congress not to permit slavery in western territories that later became states, some of the southern states wanted to secede, or withdraw, from the United States.
4. As President, he appointed men to high government positions whom he considered most capable, even though some of them openly scorned him.
5. The uncontrolled emotional reaction of the nation to his death was almost unbelievable and demonstrated the deep esteem in which he was held.
English to Chinese
1. 她在当地一家银行找到一份出纳员的工作，但不久因不称职而被解雇了。She got a post as a cashier at a local bank. But she was soon fired because she proved （to be ）incompetent.
It is obviously/clearly his young assistant who is running the book store.
No sooner had the proposal been announced at the meeting than she got to her feet to protest.
Bill has applied to Harvard University for a teaching assistantship, but his chances of getting it are slim.
Being short of funds, they are trying to attract foreign capital.
The room smells of stale air. It must have been vacant for a long time.
As far as hobbies are concerned, Jane and her sister have little in common.
It is self-evident that the education of the young is vital to the future of a country. Chinese to English
1. I held a series of jobs for short periods, quiting somen in disgust, being fired from others becasuse of my attitude, my speech, or the look in my eyes.
2. “Maybe that’s what’s wrong with Negroes,” I said. “They take too much time.
3. The next moring I was outside the office of the optical company long before it opened. I was reminding myself that I must be polite, must think before I spoke, must think before I acted, must say “yes, sir” or “no, sir”, that I must behave myself so that White pepole wouldn’t think that I thought I was so good as they. Suddenly a White man came up to me.
4. I even tried to keep the tone of my voice low, trying to rob it of any suggestion or overtone of aggressiveness.
5. I tried to answer in a way that would let him know that I would try to be worhty of what he was doing.
Chinese to English:
The little girl ran so fast that she was thrown off balance and fell over/down.
2) 他致力于研究工作的精神(devotion to research) 给我留下了很深的印象，但
I was deeply impressed by his devotion to research but I didn’t have the slightest
interest in his profound theories.
3) 千万别说可能会被人误解的话。(capable of)
Be sure not to say anything capable of being misunderstood.
I was so bewildered by their conflicting advice that I did not know how to act/what
At first this complicated problem frustrated them, but after thinking it over carefully they finally worked out a solution.
The head of the sports delegation beamed with delight when a young pioneer presented him with a bunch of flowers.
7) 这学期我们都学习得不错，我真不明白为什么我们的英语老师单单表扬了班长一个人。(single out)
I really don’t see/know why our English teacher should single out our monitor for praise since we have all done quite well this term/semester.
8) 我相信比较高级的(higher)动物是由比较低级的(lower)动物进化而来(develop from)的这一学说。
I believe in the theory that the higher animals developed from the lower ones.
English to Chinese:
1) During his useful life he often felt he was useless: “Alfred Nobel,”he once wrote of himself, “ought to have been put to death by a kind doctor as soon as, with a cry, he entered life.”
2) He had never been to school or university but had studied privately and by the time he was twenty was a skillful chemist and excellent linguist, speaking Swedish, Russian, German, French and English.
3) Indeed his greatness lay in his outstanding ability to combine the qualities of an original scientist with those of a forward-looking industrialist.
4) Seldom happy, he was always searching for a meaning to life, and from his youth had taken a serious interest in literature and philosophy.
5) His famous will, in which he left money to provide prizes for outstanding work
in Physics, Chemistry, Physiology, Medicine, Literature and Peace, is a memorial to his interests and ideals.
Translate from Chinese into English:
If you keep on trying, you will be able to resolve this difficult problem sooner or later.
We anticipate that we will encounter resistance to our plan.
Jim’s friends said that the noise pollution in their city was terrible, but they had to live with it.
At first, Tom thought that with knowledge, skill and experience, he was bound to find a satisfactory job.
It would be wise to handle this delicate problem with calmness and patience.
Dick thought that if he wasn’t able to take the machine apart, chances were that no other workers in the plant could, either.
Do you think the bus drivers should take full responsibility for the passengers’ safety?
You needn’t dwell on your mistakes in judgment any more. What’s important is to try your best to avoid repeating them.
Translate from English into Chinese:
1) Anyone who’s a doctor is right out of luck, I thought. Anyone who’s studying
medicine should have his head examined.
2) As one of my friends says ---- even doctors have a few friends ---- it’s all
正如我的一个朋友所说——即便是医生也还有几个朋友——当医生就是能长阅历。3) As I speed down Lea Bridge in the dark at this horrible morning hour, the swish of
the mud against the windows, the heater first blowing hot then cold, my back aching from the car-seat made for a misshapen camel, the fog swirling about the empty petrol stations, I do not feel like a ministering angel.
4) Occasionally people are ill, occasionally you can help, occasionally you get given a
cup of tea and lock-hard cake at two o’clock in the mo rning ---- then you worry if you have done everything.
1.Keys to translation exercise
1. Vast amounts of investment has enabled the economy of this area to grow rapidly.
2. They launched a campaign to raise money for a new hospital.
3. Success lies in diligence and doctor Nolen is a case in point.
4. They have high moral standards and will be never tempted into taking such expensive gifts.
5. There are indications that numerous factories are faced with a very difficult situation.
6. The police arrested the criminal on a charge of armed robbery several hours after they found an important clue to his identity.
7. Investigation has revealed that retirement tends to cause psychological troubles for some people.
8. The medical team did more than complain about the relatively poor working conditions at the local hospital. For instance, several doctors bought simple medical instrument with their own money.
Chinese to English:
Through the article the author wants to convey to the readers her views on praise and criticism.
As parents we should know that for children an ounce of praise is worth a pound of scolding.
趣。(in a ... manner)
The teacher isn't much of a scholar, but he does know how to teach a course in a lively and interesting manner.
We often find it much more difficult to apply a rule than to know it.
She never scolds her children for squabbling. Instead, she gives them a few words of praise when they play quietly.
Mr. Green was always critical of his daughter's writings, but somehow he commented favorably on that poorly written poem of hers.
Quite a few students in our class were publicly criticized by the teacher for failing to hand in their compositions on time.
A good teacher should be very alert to the progress his students make/are making. If
their progress is ignored/goes unnoticed, the students will feel discouraged.
English to Chinese:
1. I admired my father. He was head of Paramount Studios in Hollywood but he had begun his motion-picture career as a writer. He would be able to appreciate this wonderful poem of mine even more than my mother.
2. His mood seemed even more thunderous. He could not sit down but circled the long dining-room table with a drink in his hand, calling down terrible oaths on his employees. 他的心情很糟，似乎随时都会发作。他坐不下来，只是手里拿着杯酒绕着长餐桌走动，一边恶狠狠地咒骂着他的雇员们。
3. When I had cried the worst of the disappointment out of me, I could hear my parents
still quarreling over my first poem at the dinner table.
4. A writer - in fact every one of us in life - needs that mother force, the loving force from which all creation flows; and yet the mother force alone is incomplete, even misleading, finally destructive.
Unit 1 Growing Up Ⅱ. Translation 1.那是个正规宴会，我照妈妈对我讲的那样穿着礼服去了。（formal） As it was a formal dinner party, I wore formal dress, as Mother told me to. 2.他的女朋友劝他趁抽烟的坏习惯尚未根深蒂固之前把它改掉。（take hold） His girlfriend advised him to get out of/get rid of his bad habit of smoking before it took hold. 3.他们预料到下几个月电的需求量很大，决定增加生产。（anticipate） Anticipating that the demand for electricity will be high during the next few months, they have decided to increase its production. 4.据说比尔因一再违反公司的安全规章而被解雇。（violate） It is said that Bill has been fired for continually violating the company’s safety rules. / Bill is said to have been fired for continually violating the company’s safety rules. 5.据报道地方政府已采取适当措施避免严重缺水（water shortage）的可能性。 （avoid, severe） It is reported that the government has taken proper measures to avoid the possibility of a severe water shortage. /The local government is reported to have taken proper measures to avoid the possibility of a severe water shortage. 苏珊（Susan）因车祸失去了双腿。有一段时间，她真不知如何面对自己再也不能行走的事实。 一天，苏珊在浏览杂志时，被一个真实故事吸引住了。那个故事生动地描写了一个残疾（disabled）姑娘是如何成为一位作家的。苏珊读后深受鼓舞，开始相信她最终会成为一个有用的人生活下去。 Inspire vivid scan face up with finally Susan lost her legs because of / in a car accident. For a time, she didn’t know how to face up to the fact that she would never (be able to) walk again. One day, while scanning (through) some magazines, a true story caught her eye /she was attracted by a true story. It gave a vivid description of how a disabled girl became a writer. Greatly inspired, Susan began to feel that she, too, would finally be bale to lead a useful life. Unit 2 Friendship II. Translation 1)半个小时过去了，但末班车还没来。我们只好走路回家。（go by） Half an hour had gone by, but the last bus hadn’t come yet. We had to walk home.
Unit 1 1、她连水都不愿喝一口，更别提留下来吃饭了。 She wouldn't take a drink, much less could she stay for dinner. 2、他认为我在对他说谎，但实际上我讲的是实话。 He thought I was lying to him, whereas I was telling the truth. 3、这个星期你每天都迟到，对此你怎么解释？ How do you account for the fact that you have been late every day this week? 4、他们利润增长的部分原因是采用了新的市场策略。 The increase in their profits is due partly to their new market strategy. 5、这样的措施很可能会带来工作效率的提高。 Such measures are likely to result in the improvement of work efficiency. 6、我们已经在这个项目上投入了大量的时间和精力，所以我们只能继续。 We have already poured a lot of time and energy into the project, so we have to carry on. 更不用说写英语文章了 much less can he write English articles 更不用说管理一家大公司了 .much less can he manage a big company 更不用说把它搬到楼上去了 .much less could he carry it upstairs 更不用说跟他谈话了 .much less have I spoken to him 更不用说大量阅读自己学科以外的东西 much less to read a lot outside of it Unit 2 Unit2 1、尽管她是家里的独生女，她父母也从不溺爱她。 Despite the fact that she is the only child in her family, she is never babied by her parents. 2、迈克没来参加昨晚的聚会，也没给我打电话作任何解释。 Mike didn't come to the party last night, nor did he call me to give an explanation.
Unit1 1.背离传统需要极大的勇气 1) It takes an enormous amount of courage to make a departure from the tradition. 2.汤姆过去很腼腆，但这次却非常勇敢能在大庭广众面前上台表演了。 2) Tom used to be very shy, but this time he was bold enough to give a performance in front of a large audience. 3.很多教育家认为从小培养孩子的创新精神是很可取的。 3) Many educators think it desirable to foster the creative spirit in the child at an early age. 4.假设那幅画确实是名作，你觉得值得购买吗？ 4) Assuming (that) this painting really is a masterpiece, do you think it’s worthwhile to buy/purchase it? 5.如果这些数据统计上市站得住脚的，那它将会帮助我们认识正在调查的问题。 5) If the data is statistically valid, it will throw light on the problem we are investigating. Unit2 1.该公司否认其捐款有商业目的。 1) The company denied that its donations had a commercial purpose.
1) 史密斯太太对我抱怨说，她经常发现与自己十六岁的女儿简直无法沟通。 Mrs. Smith complained to me that she often found it simply impossible to communicate with her 16-year-old daughter. 2) 我坚信，阅读简写的 (simplified) 英文小说是扩大我们词汇量的一种轻松愉快的方法。 I firmly believe that reading simplified English novels is an easy and enjoyable way of enlarging our vocabulary. 3) 我认为我们在保护环境不受污染 (pollution) 方面还做得不够。 I don’t think we’re doing enough to protect our environment from pollution. 4) 除了每周写作文外，我们的英语老师还给我们布置了八本书在暑假里阅读。 In addition to/Apart from writing compositions on a weekly basis, our English teacher assigned us eight books to read during the summer vacation. 5) 我们从可靠的消息来源获悉下学期一位以英语为母语的人将要教我们英语口语。 We’ve learned from reliable sources that a native English speaker is going to teach us spoken English next term/semester. 6) 经常看英语电影不仅会提高你的听力，而且还会帮助你培养说的技能。 Seeing English movies on a regular basis will not only improve your ear, but will also help you build your speaking skills. 7) 如果你们对这些学习策略有什么问题，请随便问我。我将更详细地进行讲解。 If you have any questions about these learning strategies, please feel free to ask me. And I’ll explain them in greater detail. 8) 那个加拿大女孩善于抓住每个机会讲汉语。这就是她为什么三年不到就熟练地掌握了汉语口语的原因。 The Canadian girl is good at seizing every opportunity to speak Chinese. That’s why she has gained a good command of spoken Chinese in less than three years.
1.我们的计算机系统出了毛病，但我觉得问题不大 We have a problem with the computer system, but I think it’s fairly minor. 2.父亲去逝的时候我还小,不能独立生活。就在那时，家乡的父老接过了教育我的责任。My father died when I was too young to live on my own. The people of my hometown took over my upbringing at that point. 3.这些玩具必须得达到严格的安全要求后才可出售给儿童 The toys have to meet strict safety requirements before they can be sold to children. 4.作为新闻和舆论的载体，广播和电视补充了而不是替代了报纸。 Radio and television have supplemented rather than replaced the newspaper as carriers of news and opinion. 5.至于这本杂志，它刊载了世界各地许多报纸杂志上文章的摘要 When it comes to this magazine, it is/ carries a digest of articles from many newspapers and magazines around the world. 1.虽然受到全球金融危机后果的巨大影响，但是我们仍然相信我们能够面对挑战，克服危机。Though greatly affected by the consequences of the global financial crisis, we are still confident that we can face up to the challenge and overcome the crisis. 2.在持续不断的沙尘暴的威胁下，我们被迫离开我们喜爱的村庄，搬迁到新的地方。 Under threat of constant sand storms, we were compelled to leave our cherished village and move to the new settlement. 3.根据最近的网上调查，许多消费者说他们也许会有兴趣考虑购买电视广告中播放的产品。According to a recent online survey, a lot of consumers say they may be motivated to consider buying products shown in TV commercials. 4.看到卡车司机把受污染的废弃物倒在河边，老人马上向警方报告 Having spotted a truck driver dumping contaminated waste alongside the river, the old man reported to the police at once. 5.一些科学家坚信人们总有一天会喜欢转基因农作物的，因为它们能够提高产量，帮助发展 中国家战胜饥荒和疾病 Some scientists hold to the firm conviction that people will come to like genetically modified crops someday since they can increase yields and help combat hunger and disease in the developing world. 1.无论是在城市还是农村，因特网正在改变人们的生活方式。 The Internet is changing the way people live, whether they are in urban or rural areas. 2.和大公司相比，中小公司更容易受到金融危机的威胁。 Medium-sized and small companies are more vulnerable to the threat of the global economic crisis than large ones. 3.关于期末论文，教授要求我们先分析失业图表，然然后对过家的经济发展提供批评性的见解。 With regard to our term paper, the professor asked us to analyze the unemployment chart first, and then provide critical reflections on the nations economic development. 4.他从来也没有想到他们队会大比分赢得那场篮球赛。 It never occurred to him that their team would win the basketball match by a large margin.
Unit1 1.她连水都不愿喝一口，更别提留下来吃饭了。（much less） She wouldn't take a drink, much less (would she) stay for dinner. 2.他认为我在对他说谎，但实际上我讲的是实话。(whereas) He thought I was lying to him, whereas I was telling the truth. 3.这个星期你每天都迟到，对此你怎么解释？(account for) How do you account for the fact that you have been late every day this week? 4.他们利润增长的部分原因是采用了新的市场策略。(due to) The increase in their profits is due partly to their new market strategy. 5.这样的措施很可能会带来工作效率的提高。(result in) Such measures are likely to result in the improvement of work efficiency. 6.我们已经在这个项目上投入了大量时间和精力，所以我们只能继续。 (pour into) We have already poured a lot of time and energy into the project, so we have to carry on. Unit 2 1.尽管她是家里的独生女,她父母也从来不溺爱她.(despite) Despite the fact that she is the only child in her family, her parents never baby her. 2.迈克没来参加昨晚的聚会,也没给我打电话作任何解释.(nor) Mike didn't come to the party last night, nor did he call me to give any justification. 3.坐在他旁边的那个人确实发表过一些小说，但决不是什么大作家。 (next to; by no means) The person sitting next to him did publish some novels, but he is by no means a great writer. 4. 他对足球不感兴趣，也从不关心谁输谁赢。(be indifferent to) He is no interested in football and is indifferent to who wins to loses. 5. 经理需要一个可以信赖的助手，在他外出时，由助手负责处理问题。 ( count on) The manager needs an assistant that he can count on to deal with problems when he is out. 6. 这是他第一次当着那么多观众演讲。(in the presence of sb.)
Unit1 1 背离传统需要极大的勇气It takes a n enorm ous amount of courage to make a departure from the tradition. 2 汤姆过去很腼腆，但这次却非常勇敢能在大庭广众面前上台表演了2) T om used to be very shy, but this time he was bold enough to give a performance in front of a large audience. 3 很多教育家认为从小培养孩子的创新精神是很可取的3) Ma ny educator s think it desira ble to foster the creative spirit in the child at an early age. 4 假设那幅画确实是名作，你觉得值得购买么4) A ssuming (that) this painting really is a masterpiece, do y ou think it’s w orthw hile to buy/pur cha se it? 5 如果这些数据统计上是站得住脚的，那他将会帮助我们认识正在调查的问题5) If the data is stati stically valid, it will throw light on the pr oblem we are investigati ng. Unit2 1该公司否认其捐款有商业目的1) T he com pany denied that its donations had a commercial pur pose. 2每当他生气时，他说话就有一些结巴2) Whenever he was a ngry, he would begin to stammer slightly. 3教育是我们家庭最看重的传统，这就是为什么我父母不带我到昂贵的饭店吃饭，却送我到最好的私立学校上学3) Educati on is the most cherished tradition in our family. That’s w hy my parents never took me to dinner at expensive restaurants, but sent me to the best private school. 4 手术康复后不久，他失业了，因此经历了人生又一个困难阶段4) S hortly after he recovered fr om the surgery, he lost his job and thus had to go through another difficult pha se of his life. 5与我们的富裕邻居相比，我们的父母就相当穷了，但他们总是努力满足我们最起码的需求5) In contrast to our affluent neighbors, m y parents are rather poor, but they have always tried har d to meet our minimal needs. Unit3 1科学家们找到火星上有水的证据了吗1) Have scienti sts found proof of water on Mar s? 2 计划委员会已经将建核电厂的可能地点缩小到了两个沿海城镇2) The pla nning committee has narrowed down the possible locations for the nuclear power plant to tw o coa stal towns. 3山姆不仅失去了工作，而且还失去了双腿，他只好靠社会救济度过余生3) Sam not only lost his j ob but also both legs; he ha d to live on welfare for the rest of his life. 4由十二人组成的陪审团一致表决认为玛丽有罪4) A jury consisting of 12 mem bers voted in unison that Mary wa s guilty. 5听到有人质疑他的才能，肖恩觉得收到了奇耻大辱5) Sean felt humiliated ti hear his talent being que stioned. Unit4 1研究表明，笑能带来许多健康上的好处1) Re search shows that laughter can bring a lot of health be nefits. 2互联网连接速度慢真让人心烦2) A slow I nternet connecting speed is really annoying. 3法律规定，帮助他人自杀是犯罪3) As the law sta nds, helping someone commit suicide is a crime. 4 玛丽在她的报告中试图从一个完全不同的角度来解释这些数据4) 4)In her report, Mary trie s to interpret the data from a completely different angle. 5 苏是一个很有天分的女孩，他那惊人的记忆力使她在同班同学中显得格外突出5) Sue is a girl of great talent. Her amazing memory sets her apart from her classmates. Unit5 1是工人和主管人员的创造力和敬业精神将这个公司变成了一个盈利的企业1) It is the creativity and dedicati on of the worker s and executive s that turned the com pany into a pr ofita ble busine ss. 2食品和医药的价格在过去的三个月里急剧增长2) The price s of food and me dicine have soared in the pa st three months. 3我们打算重新粉刷这栋办公大楼的上面几层3) We plan to repaint the upper floors of he office building. 4 他的成功表面流行与艺术价值有时候是一致的4) His succe ss shows that popularity and artisti c merit sometimes coincide. 5我不愿意看见我所敬爱的祖母躺在医院床上痛苦的呻吟 5) I don’t want to see my beloved gra ndmother lying in a hospital bed a nd gr oaning painfully. Unit6 1他这人话不多，但要说玩电脑那他就太机灵了，同学们都不是他的对手 1) He is a man of few words, but when it come s to playing a computer games, he is far too clever for his classmates. 2 无知的孩子们可能认为这些动物很可爱并开始跟他们玩起来2) Children who don’t know any better may think the se animals are pretty cute and start playing with them. 3没有办法获得贷款，所以，要购买新设备，我只得咬紧牙关，卖掉我的混合型动力汽车3) There is no way to obtain a loan,so to buy the new equipment, I will just have to grit my teeth and sell my hybrid car. 4 如果猎人没有看到一群象朝他的营地走来，他就不会开枪 4) The hunter would not ha ve fired the shots if he hadn’t seen a herd of elephants coming towards his campsite. 5我觉得具有讽刺意味的是汤姆的记忆是有选择的，他好像不记得过去痛苦的经历特别是那些有他自己制造的痛苦经历5) I find it ironic that T om has a selective memory --- he does not seem to remember painful experiences in the past, particularly those of his own doing.
新视野大学英语1课后翻译答案 1.对于网络课程，学生不仅可以选择何时何地学习，在回答问题之前他们还可以有时间思考答案。 Not only can students choose when and where to learn for an online course, but they can also take time to think through answers before making a reply. 2.网上学习的想法使她非常兴奋，而他认为网上学习毫无意义和用处。 She is excited by the idea of online learning while be considers it meaningless and useless. 3.与以英语为母语的人交谈是非常有益的体验，从中我们可以学到很多的东西。Communicating with native English speakers is a very rewarding experience from which we can learn a lot. 4.如今，越来越多的人可以利用互联网查找他们需要的信息。 Today, more and more people have access to the Internet through which they look for the information they need. 5.他要放弃工作在家照顾孩子，但是她觉得这个要求太过分了。 He wants her to give up working and stay home to look after the children. She feels, however, that this is too much for her. 6.既然我们已经学完这门课程，就应该多做些复习。 Now that we have finished the course, we shall start doing more revision work.
新视野大学第三版book1英语课后翻译答案 Unit1 苏格拉底是古希腊哲学家，被誉为现代西方哲学的奠基人。他是一个谜一般的人物，人们 主要通过后来的一些古典作家的叙述，尤其是他最著名的学生柏拉图的作品去了解他。苏 格拉底以他对伦理学的贡献而闻名。他的教学法亦称为苏格拉底法，即通过提问和回答来 激发批判性思维以及阐述观点。该方法在各种讨论中仍被普遍使用。他还在认识论和逻辑 领域作出了重大而深远的贡献。他的思想和方法所带来的影响一直是后来的西方哲学的坚 实基础。苏格拉底是古代哲学史上最丰富多彩的人物。他在他那个时代已威名远扬。虽然 他未曾建立什么哲学体系，未曾设立什么学派，也未曾创立什么宗派，但他的名字很快就 变得家喻户晓了。 Confucius was a great thinker and educator in Chinese history. He was the founder of Confucianis His words and life story were recorded in m and was respectfully referred to as an ancient “sage”． The Analects. An enduring classic of ancient Chinese culture, The Analectshas had a great influen ce on the thinkers, writers, and statesmen that came after Confucius. Without studying this book, o traditional Chinese culture. Much of Con ne could hardly truly understand the thousands-of-years’ thought, especially his thought on education, has had a profound influence on Chinese soci fucius’ ety. In the 21st century, Confucian thought not only retains the attention of the Chinese, but it also wins an increasing attention from the international community. Unit2 圣诞节是一个被广泛庆祝的文化节日，全世界有许许多多的人在12月25日庆祝这一节日。它是为了纪念耶稣基督的诞辰。该节日最早可追溯到公元336年。渐渐地，这一节日演变为一个既是宗教又是非宗教的节日，越来越多的非基督徒也庆祝圣诞节。如今，圣诞节在全 球被作为一个重大的节日和公共假日来庆祝。不同国家的圣诞节风俗也各不相同。现代流 行的圣诞接风俗包括交换圣诞贺卡和圣诞礼物、唱圣诞歌曲、参加教堂活动、摆放各种圣 诞装饰品和圣诞树、举行家庭聚会以及准备一顿特别的大餐。对小孩子们来说，这个节日 充满了幻想和惊喜。据传说，圣诞老人会在圣诞夜从烟囱进入每户人家，给乖巧听话的孩 子带来礼物。由于圣诞节送礼物以及许多其他方面推动了基督徒和非基督徒的经济活动， 圣诞节也因此成为商家的一个重大活动和主要销售季。 According to the Chinese lunar calendar, August 15 of every year is a traditional Chinese festival-t he Mid-Autumn Festival. This day is the middle of autumn, so it is called Mid-Autumn. One of th e important Mid-Autumn Festival activities is to enjoy the moon. On that night, people gather toge ther to celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival, looking up at the bright moon and eating moon cakes. The festival is also a time for family reunion. People living far away from home will express their love and feelings of missing their hometowns and families at this festival, all expressing people’ｓhope for a happy life. Since 2008, the Mid-Autumn Festival has become an official national holida y in China. Unit3 伦敦地铁是英国的一个快速交通运输系统，服务于大伦敦的大部分地区。地铁系统因其地 铁隧道的典型形状也被称为地下管道。伦敦地铁始建于19世纪中期，是世界上最早的地下 铁路系统。它的第一段地铁于1863年开始运营。自此，伦敦地铁不断延伸，发展成为一个 包括12条线路、275个车站、铁轨总长超过250英里的地铁杰作，其中有45%在地下运行。就路线长度而言，它是世界上第四大地铁系统，也是车站数量最多的地铁系统之一。作为 一个走遍伦敦的经济便捷的途径，伦敦地铁一向是每天数百万通勤者以及在节假日游历伦
There Is Magic in a Word of Praise赞美之词的魔力 一次，一位百老汇喜剧演员做了一个噩梦：他梦见自己在一个座无虚席的剧场里讲故事、唱歌，数以千计的人们看着他—但是没有人笑或拍手。“即使一个星期能赚10万美元，”他说，“那也像人间地狱一般。” 不仅演员需要掌声，没有赞扬和鼓励，任何人都会失去信心。因此，我们都有着双重需求：被别人称赞以及懂得如何去称赞别人。说赞美的话是有技巧的，有正确的说法。比如，因为某些显而易见的成就而去表扬一个人，这不是真正的赞扬。你得运用辨别力和创造力。“您今晚的演讲很精彩、很有说服力，”一次，一位和蔼可亲的女士对一位商人说，“我禁不住想，您肯定也能当一名出色的律师。”听到这意外的溢美之词，那位商人像个男生般地脸红了。 无论声名显赫还是默默无闻，没有一个人会对真诚的赞赏无动于衷。耶鲁著名的英语教授威廉·里昂·费尔普斯讲述道:“一个炎热的夏日，我走进一家拥挤的饭馆吃中饭。服务员递给我菜单时，我说，‘今天厨房里的小伙子们肯定在受罪！’服务员惊讶地看着我说：‘来这儿的人都抱怨菜的味道不好，对服务评头论足，还埋怨太闷热。19年了，你是第一个对后面厨房里的厨师们表示同情的人。’人们所需要的，”费尔普斯下结论道，“是作为人能得到一点点关注。”在那种关注中，真诚是至关重要的。当劳作了一天的男人回家时看见孩子们将脸贴在窗上、张望着等待他，他也许会感到这种无声而珍贵的语言如甘露一般涤荡了他的心灵。 孩子们尤其渴望鼓励。童年时如果得不到善意的赞赏，将会危及性格的发展。一位年轻妈妈向A·W·比文牧师讲述了一件让人伤心的事：“我的小女儿常常不听话，我不得不批评她。但是有一天，她特别乖，没有做一件会挨批评的事。当天晚上，我给她盖好被子、准备下楼时，听见她在抽泣。我走回去，发现她把头埋在枕头里。她一边呜咽一边问：‘难道我今天还不够乖吗？’” “那个问题，” 那位妈妈说，“像把刀一样刺痛了我。当她做错事时，我总是急于纠正，可是当她努力表现得好些时，我却没有注意。我哄她睡觉时连一句称赞的话都没有。” 同样的准则——说友善的话——适用于所有的人际关系。我小时候住在巴尔的摩，当时街坊里开了一家新的药店，为此我们那位技能娴熟、资历颇深的药剂师老派克·巴洛很生气。他指责他的年轻对手出售廉价药品而且在配药时没有经验。最后，那位受到伤害的新来的药剂师考虑以诽谤罪起诉对方，于是他去见了一位明智的律师托马斯·海斯。“别把争端扩大化，”海斯建议说，“试试友善（地处理）。” 第二天，当顾客们告诉他他的对手在讲他坏话时，这位新药剂师说，一定是哪里发生误会了。“派克·巴洛，”他对他们说，“是这个镇上最好的药剂师之一。他能在任何一刻、任何一天或任何一晚配出急救药方。他的细心是我们所有人学习的榜样。这个街坊已经扩大了—有足够的空间同时容下我们俩。我把他的药店当作我学习的典范。” 当那位老人听说这些话时——因为称赞和丑闻一样会长着闲聊的翅膀迅速散播——迫不及待地要亲自见见这个年轻人，给他一些有用的建议。怨恨因真挚诚实的赞扬而化解了。 为什么我们大多数人对于那些能让其他人高兴的事实避而不提呢？“给生者一朵玫瑰,其意义远远胜于送给逝者华丽的花圈。”一位风度翩翩的老绅士以前常常顺路去新罕布什尔州靠近康韦的一家古董店里推销商品。有一天，等他走了以后，古董商的妻子说，她很想告诉他他的来访给他们带来了很多乐趣。丈夫回答说：“下一次我们告诉吧。” 第二年夏天，一个年轻女子来到店里，她自我介绍说是那个销售员的女儿。她说，她的父亲已经去世了。“从那天以后，”古董店老板说，“不管什么时候当我想到一个人的优点，我就会立即告诉他。也许我不再有另一个机会了。” 如同艺术家们在把美展示给别人的过程中能获得满足一样，任何一个掌握赞美艺术的人会发现它对给予者和接受者来说都是一种幸福。它给陈词滥调注入温暖和愉悦，将喧嚣的世界转变成优美的音乐。 每个人身上都有值得称道的地方。我们只是需要把它说出来。
U1 1对于网络课程，学生不仅可以选择何时何地学习，在回答问题之前他们还有时间思考答案。 Not only can students choose when and there to learn for an online course, nut they can also take time to think through answers before making a reply 2网上学习的想法使她非常兴奋，而他认为网上学习毫无意义和用处 She is excited by the idea of online learning while he considers it meaningless and useless. 3以英语为母语的人交谈是非常有益的体验，从中我们学到很多东西。 Communicating with native English speakers is a very rewarding experience from which we can learn a lost. 4如今，越来越多的人可以利用互联网查找他们需要的信息。 Today, more and more people have access to the Internet through which they look for the information they need. 5他要她放弃工作在家照顾孩子，但是她觉得这个要求太过分了。 He wants her to give up working and stay home to look after the children. She feels, however, that this is too much for her. 6既然我们已经学完了这门课程，就应该多做些复习。 Not that we have finished the course, we shall start doing more revision work. U3 即使报酬并不优厚, 我还是决定接受那个新职位。 I have decided to accept the new post, even though the job is not very well paid. 这项工作在实际开始干之前，一直被认为是十分简单的。 The job has been taken to be very simple until (it is) actually started. 既然你计划移居加拿大，你就必须努力适应冬季的严寒天气。 Now that you are planning to move to Canada, you must try to adjust to cold weather in winter. 他承诺帮助我们买下那幢房子，但有点勉强. He promised to help us to buy the house, but with a little reluctance. 这是一次重要的会议，请务必不要迟到。 This is an important meeting. Please see to it that you are not late for it. 他是个有经验的商人，做国际贸易已有好几年了。 He is an experienced businessman who has engaged in foreign trade for quite a few years. U4 她如此专心地读那本书，以至于有人进来她也没意识到。 he was so absorbed in reading the book that she was not conscious of someone coming in. 他第一次会议就差不多迟到了一小时，给大家留下了一个很糟糕的印象。 He was late for almost an hour for the first meeting, leaving a bad impression on everyone. 不管是有意识还是无意识，我们往往会根据对方的眼神、面部表情、形体动作和态度对他们作出判断。Consciously or unconsciously, we make up our minds about people through their eyes, faces, bodies, and attitudes. 周教授一生都致力于语言教学事业。 Professor Zhou was committed to the cause of language teaching all his life. 许多指导性的书籍都会建议:要想给人留下好印象,其诀窍在于始终如一地保持最佳自我 Many how-to books advise that if you want to make a good impression,the trick is to be consistently you at your best. 媒体有时会传递含混不清的信息，但大多数人相信亲眼所见胜于耳闻。 The media sometimes sends mixed messages, but most people believe what they see over what they hear. U5 我希望我们的努力对预防艾滋病有所帮助。 I hope that the effort that we've made will be of some use to the battle against AIDS. 尽管地方性组织在同艾滋病作斗争方面做了很大的努力，农村地区艾滋病患者数量还在增长 Despite all the efforts from the local organizations in the battle against AIDS, the number of people in rural areas diagnosed with AIDS has been increasing. 请把电视关掉，因为噪音会使她，无法专心做作业。