She wouldn't take a drink, much less would she stay for dinner.
He thought I was lying to him, whereas I was telling the truth.
How do you account for the fact that you have been late every day this week?
The increase in their profits is due partly to their new market strategy.
Such measures are likely to result in the improvement of work efficiency.
We have already poured a lot of time and energy into the project, so we have to carry on.
7. 他说话很自信，给我留下了很深的印象。(Use "which" to refer back to an idea or situation.)
He spoke confidently, which impressed me most.
8. 我父亲太爱忘事，总是在找钥匙。(Use "so... that..." to emphasize the degree of something.)
My father is so forgetful that he is always looking for his keys.
I'm very grateful to you for all the help you have given me.
The bad light, coupled with the wet ground, made driving very difficult.
Being starved of funds, they had to cancel their plan to start a business.
They always lean on us whenever they are in trouble.
(Just) as a machine needs regular running, so does the body need regular exercise.
He learned to play the piano while studying in the United States.
To our disappointment, he turned down our invitation.
The reality is that, for better or worse, the world has changed with the advance of new technologies.
Most of the female students in my class appear to be ill at ease when (they are) required to answer questions.
The local government took charge of the security for the sports meeting.
At the meeting they discussed, among other things, the present economic situation.
The more I learned about the nature,
the more absorbed I became in its mystery.
The doctor recommends that those stressed people should try something new, interesting and challenging in order to give their negative feelings an outlet.
The teacher gives more homework to the student who has bad grades instead of cutting it down.
By contrast, American parents are more likely to attribute their children's success to natural talent.
One of a teacher's priorities is to stimulate students' interests and their creativity.
25. 她一点儿也不知道这幅画有一天居然会价值100多万美金。(Use "little" at the beginning of the sentence.)
Little did she know that this picture would one day be worth more than a million dollars.
26. 虽然我理解你说的话，但是我不同意你在这个问题上的看法。(Use "while" in the sense of "although".)
While I understand what you say, I don't agree with you on the issue.
27. 我认为警察的职责就是保护人民。(be meant to do sth.)
I think the police are meant to protect people.
28. 昨天我去看他，却发现他已于几天前出国了。(only to do sth.)
I went to see him yesterday, only to find that he had gone abroad several days before.
29. 在每周例会上，每个人的发言都不能偏离会议议题。(confine to)
At the weekly meeting, everyone must confine their remarks to the subject.
30. 要是我没说那些愚蠢的话该多好! 那时我太年轻，不能明辨是非。
If only I hadn't said those silly words! I was too young then to distinguish right from wrong.
01. I don't think that he would commit robbery, much less would he commit violent robbery.
02. Men earn ten dollars an hour on average, whereas women only seven dollars.
03. Once the balance in nature is disturbed, it will result in a number of possible unforeseeable effects.
04. The final examination is close at hand; you'd better spend more time reading.
05. What is interesting is that consumers find it increasingly difficult to identify the nationality of certain brands. This is due partly to globalization and partly to changes in the location of production.
06. A recent survey showed that women account for 40 percent of the total workforce.
25. The plane may be several hours late, in which case there's no point in our waiting.
26. George so often told stories that were untrue that no one believed him when he told about the high grade he got in the exam.
27. All was silent except for the small factory fairly close at hand, somewhere down by the crossroads.
28. People starved of sleep may find it difficult to focus their minds on what they are doing.
29. I arranged to pick up Mr. Clarke at the airport and take him to his hotel.
30. The tourists cried out of joy upon reaching the peak of the mountain.
31. (Just) as table tennis is to the Chinese, so is football to Italians.
32. The teacher does not rush the class toward a decision at this point, but asks them to think very carefully before making up their minds.
33. I don't know what the drink was and I had that much; then the lads had to see me home because I was more or less drunk.
34. Windy days are characteristic of March in the north of China.
35. Even so, the government has approved a 6.2 percent increase in total spending.
尽管如此, 政府已经同意总支出增加6.2 %。
36. Information, defined as knowledge conveyed to the mind by a statement of fact, can take many forms.
37. His research is concerned, among other things, with the battle against AIDS in the developing countries.
38. These people are made aware that the better the service, the more they will earn.
39. Although her father seemed anxious and worried, Susan did not perceive any change in his looks or ways.
40. The amount of financial aid offered has become more central to students' decisions about which school to attend.
41. She's already cut down on going out and buying clothes, but she doesn't have enough money to start paying off the money she owed.
42. One of the keys to controlling stress is to realize that there are many things in our life over which we have no control.
43. Little did I think five years ago that I would be sitting here today studying English with so many students coming from all over the world.
44. While this position offers you honor and power, it imposes on you a great responsibility.
45. In the long run the race between food production and population growth remains too hard to solve easily.
46. Sometimes we find ourselves climbing the ladder of success, only to find that the ladder is leaning against the wrong wall.
47. The new program is meant to put young people on a fast track to management careers.
48. The ambitious young man wanted very much to achieve something to make his parents proud of him.