1) As it was a formal dinner party, I wore formal dress, as Mother told me to.
2) His girlfriend advised him to get out of/get rid of his bad habit of smoking before it took hold.
3) Anticipating that the demand for electricity will be high during the next few months, they have decided to increase its production.
4) It is said that Bill has been fired for continually violating the company’s safety rules. /Bill is said to have been fired for continually violating the company’s safety ru les.
5) It is reported that the government has taken proper measures to avoid the possibility of a severe water shortage. /The local government is reported to have taken proper measures to avoid the possibility of a severe water shortage.
1、Half an hour had gone by, but the last bus hadn’t come yet. We had to walk home.
2、Mary looks as if she is very worried about the Chinese exam because she hasn’t learned the texts by heart.
3、Since the basketball match has been postponed, we might as well visit the museum.
4、He stayed in Australia with his parents all the way through World War II.
5、Since I graduated from Nanjing University in 1985, I have kind of lost touch with my classmates.
1) As is predicted by scientists, global pollution has become one of the most serious problems humans are faced with.
2) Competition for these jobs is very tough –we have five times as many applicants this year as we did last year/ there are five times as many applicants this year as there were last year.
3) As the facts show, educational programs need to fit into the national plan for economical development.
4) The car burns too much gas, and moreover, the price is almost twice as much as I intend to pay.
5) To understand a great international event, we, first of all, need to consider the historical and political background to it.
1) It is reported that UN mediators have worked out a plan which they hope will be acceptable to both sides.
2) Doris walked in the forest cautiously, afraid of being attacked by giant snakes.
3) Earthquakes, typhoons and other natural disaters cannot be prevented, but action can be taken to protect life and property.
4) I bought a new issue of my favorite sports magazine and hurried home, anxious to amuse myself reading it.
5) Helen lacks confidence. I’ve never known anyone so unsure of herself.
1) I’m not sure where you can find a good carpenter---you’d better ask around.
2) Feeling a little embarrassed, he quickly cleared his throat and looked up at the painting on the wall.
3) Michael was survived by three sons, two daughters, and his wife Elizabeth.
4) As a financial expert, William advised us to invest our money in the stock market.
5) We small retailers can’t compete with supermarkets in pricing and sales.
1) Before I went off to university, my grandfather gave me a few words of wisdom which impressed me deeply.
2) Never tell my parents about my injuries and I’ll be very grateful to you (for it).
3) At the meeting some of our colleagues put forward sensible suggestions about improving our working environment.
4) The management has/have agreed to grant the workers a 10% pay rise in response to union pressure.
5) It was very thoughtful of the hostess to give the house a thorough cleaning before we arrived.
1) It takes an enormous amount of courage to make a departure from the tradition.
2) Tom used to be very shy, but this time he was bold enough to give a performance in front of
a large audience.
3) Many educators think it desirable to foster the creative spirit in the child at an early age.
4) Assuming (that) this painting really is a masterpiece, do you think it’s worthwhile to buy/purchase it?
5) If the data is statistically valid, it will throw light on the problem we are investigating. unit2
1) The company denied that its donations had a commercial purpose.
2) Whenever he was angry, he would begin to stammer slightly.
3) Education is the most cherished tradition in our family. That’s why my parents never took me to dinner at expensive restaurants, but sent me to the best private school.
4) Shortly after he recovered from the surgery, he lost his job and thus had to go through another difficult phase of his life.
5) In contrast to our affluent neighbors, my parents are rather poor, but they have always tried hard to meet our minimal needs.
1) Have scientists found proof of water on Mars?
2) The planning committee has narrowed down the possible locations for the nuclear power
plant to two coastal towns.
3) Sam not only lost his job but also both legs; he had to live on welfare for the rest of his life.
4) A jury consisting of 12 members voted in unison that Mary was guilty.
5) Sean felt humiliated to hear his talent being questioned.
1) Research shows that laughter can bring a lot of health benefits.
2) A slow Internet connection speed is really annoying.
3) As the law stands, helping someone commit suicide is a crime.
4) In her report, Mary tries to interpret the data from a completely different angle.
5) Sue is a girl of great talent. Her amazing memory sets her apart from her classmates.
1、It is the creativity and dedication of the workers and executives that turned the company into a profitable business.
2、The prices of food and medicine have soared in the past three months
3、We plane to repaint the upper floors of the office building
4、His success shows that popularity and artistic merit sometimes coincide
5、I don’t want to see my beloved grandmother lyi ng in a hospital bed and groaning painfully. unit6
1) He is a man of few words, but it comes to playing computer games, he is too clever for his classmates.
2) Children who don’t know any better may think these animals are pretty cute and start playing with them.
3) There is no way to obtain a loan, so as to buy the new equipment, I’ll just have to grit my teeth and sell my hybrid car.
4) The hunter would not have fired the shots if he had not seen a herd of elephants coming towards his campsite.
5) I find it ironic that Tom has a selective memory --- he does not seem to remember painful experiences in the past, particular those of his own doing.