P6 II Comprehension of the text
1．1-5 CBAAC 6-8 ACC
P8 III Vocabulary Activities
5.at the sight of
2. sprang up/rang out
4. came to
5. track down
10. emerge / spring up
11. at the sight of
12. made for
1. Jimmy has outgrown the shirts his aunt made for him a few years ago.
2. Does the doctor think the elderly lady is likely to survive the operation / it is likely that the elderly lady will survive the operation?
3. The other day your cousin paid us an unexpected visit.
4. Don't you see the nurse motioning us to be silent?
5. Her face lit up with joy at his return.
6. The sound of her footsteps grew fainter as she walked farther away.
P10 IV Enriching Your Word Power
P11 V Usage
1.The people questioned gave very different opinions on the issue.
2. Can you see the man climbing on that rock?
3. Several days passed before they came up with a satisfactory solution to the problems discussed.
4. We were woken early by the sound of the birds singing.
5. The chairman made it clear that those objecting should explain their reasons.
6. After a day’s work, I felt I had little energy left.
7. I knew of some of the athletes taking part.
8. The success obtained surprised those who had given up the project as impossible.
P13 VI Structure
一）1. During the time that
2. As long as
4. as long as
1. They frightened the child into telling the truth.
2. He tricked her into marrying him by pretending that he was the son of a millionaire.
3. My tactless words forced the old gentleman into buying something he could not possibly afford.
4. He finally talked me into accepting his terms.
5. The girl persuaded her father into giving up smoking.
6. Their severe criticism shocked her into realizing her selfishness.
1. Guests are to be back in the hotel by twelve o’clock.
2. An investigation is to be made next week.
3. I am to meet them at the airport.
4. You are to finish your homework before you watch TV.
5. The medicine is to be taken three times a day after meals.
6. Bob and Susan are to get married in October
P14 VII Cloze
P16 VIII Spot Dictation
1.do the cooking
3.hardly thought so
7.why things were so quiet
P16 IX Translation
Their argument ended when she slammed the door and left without a word.
The guests at the dinner party were slightly surprised at the commanding tone of the American. 3. 约翰尼已长大成熟，不再害怕独自呆在家里了。
Johnny has outgrown the fear of staying at home alone.
4. 当全部乘客都向出口处(exit) 走去时，他却独自留在座位上，好像不愿意离开这架飞机似的。
While all the other passengers made for the exit, he alone remained in his seat as if unwilling to leave the plane.
The letter is to be handed to Dr. Wilson himself.
While she felt like joining in the argument, Nancy was too shy to open her mouth.
What do you think is the likeliest time to find him at home?
8. 猎人一看见有只狐狸从树丛中出现并向他设下(lay) 的陷阱(trap) 方向跑去，脸上顿时闪出了兴奋的表情。
The hunter’s fac e lit up with excitement as soon as he saw a fox emerge from among the bushes and run in the direction of / make for the trap he had laid.
1.The adjective form of “spring”--- having elastic quality 有弹性的
2.pace+setter--- a person who sets speed for others
3.over+take--- catch up with and pass 赶上；超过
4.stiff+en--- become stiff 变僵硬
5.talk in an informal manner闲谈
6.notice+able---able to be noticed 显而易见的
7.spring(y)+(i)ness--- the noun form of “springy”弹性
8.the line that marks the end of a race 终点线
9.athlet（e）+(i)cal+ly---the adverb form of “athlete”在运动方面
10.the noun form of “similar”--- points of likeness相似之处
1-5 TFTFT 6-7 TF