1. I know my friends from the feel of their faces.
2. Ice is a solid. If we heat it, it melts and becomes water.
3. John got up very early in the morning. He put on his jacket, sat down at his desk and began to do his homework.
4. But at the present moment the whole road looked rather pretty, for the sun had just set in splendor, and the equalities of rent were drowned in a saffron afterglow. 【译文】但此时整条路看起来都挺美，金灿灿的太阳刚落下山，橙红色的余辉掩盖了房屋的种种差异。
5. He had a shelf there, where he kept his Bohemian papers and his pipes and tobacco, and his shears and needles and thread and tailor’s thimble.
6. Most of the people who appear most often and most gloriously in the history books are great conquerors and generals and soldiers…
7. I framed the words in my mind: “Pardon me, but have I done something to offend you?”
8. You hear it from the trackers, a more breathless chant, as they pull desperately against the current, half a dozen of them perhaps if they are, taking up a wupan, a couple of hundred if they are hauling a splendid junk, its square sail set, over a rapid.
9. If you are a twinkler, you have the ability to walk into a room and bring the sunshine with you, making everyone else want to bask in it.
10. Her dark eyes made little reflected stars. She was looking at him as she was always looking at him when he awakened.
【译文】此句中有两个“she was looking at him”，如不作省略而译为“她像平常那样望着她一样望着他”，汉语就显得啰嗦繁复，诘屈聱牙。
11. There are some things that I have happily seen of the wondrous way of the spider.
【解析】译文省去“there are some things that”后，文字简约，表达生动，意思明确。
12. Standing as it does on a high hill, the church commands a new view.
13. You shall facilitate the foreign trade enterprises by adopting measures such as holiday appointment inspection application, telephone inspection application, fax inspection application, advance inspection application, and clockwise wait for inspection.
14. He liked to go to dances and parties, where he could have a good time just sitting and watching.
15. There are a variety of population problems in all parts of the world.
16. How is it with the sick man?
17. It is all over with him.
18. She feared it would go hard with Antonio.
19. Lu Xun has it that “Read your own work at least twice after you have got through your writing, trying to cut off all unnecessary words, sentences, and even paragraphs without any regret.’’
20. It is with words as with sunbeams: the more they are condensed, the deeper the burn.
21. I don’t think it is he.
22. You’ll be in for it if father finds out you’ve not been to school for three days.【译文】要是爸爸发现你三天没去上学，你就要倒霉了。
23. He led a dog’s life of it.
24. Lord Angelo dukes it well. (Shakespeare)
25. We are born to slave it for our lord. (Thackeray)
26. I am used to roughing it.
27. He lords it over his inferiors.
28. If you are found out, you will catch it.
29. I am determined to fight it out.
30. She is starring it in the provinces.
31. We had to walk it in the rain.
32. Can’t you swim it?
33. Shall we walk it or bus it?
34. We will have a hard time of it.