5.3 减译法
1. I know my friends from the feel of their faces.
【译文】我靠触摸脸庞来辨认朋友。
2. Ice is a solid. If we heat it, it melts and becomes water.
【译文】冰是固体,如果加热,就融化成水。
3. John got up very early in the morning. He put on his jacket, sat down at his desk and began to do his homework.
【译文】约翰早晨起床很早,他穿上夹克,就坐在桌旁开始做家庭作业。
4. But at the present moment the whole road looked rather pretty, for the sun had just set in splendor, and the equalities of rent were drowned in a saffron afterglow. 【译文】但此时整条路看起来都挺美,金灿灿的太阳刚落下山,橙红色的余辉掩盖了房屋的种种差异。
5. He had a shelf there, where he kept his Bohemian papers and his pipes and tobacco, and his shears and needles and thread and tailor’s thimble.
【译文】他放在那儿有一个架子,摆着他的波希米亚报纸、烟斗、烟叶,还有大剪刀、针、线,以及裁缝用的顶针。
6. Most of the people who appear most often and most gloriously in the history books are great conquerors and generals and soldiers…
【译文】史书上最经常出现、最为显赫的人物,大多是些伟大的征服者、将军和军事家。
7. I framed the words in my mind: “Pardon me, but have I done something to offend you?”
【译文】我心里在嘀咕:“对不起,我有什么举止行为冒犯你了吗?”
8. You hear it from the trackers, a more breathless chant, as they pull desperately against the current, half a dozen of them perhaps if they are, taking up a wupan, a couple of hundred if they are hauling a splendid junk, its square sail set, over a rapid.
【译文】纤夫拼命拉纤逆流而上时,你就会听见他们唱着较急促的号子。拉五板木船时,或许五六人就行,但当拉着鼓着横帆的大船过急滩时,那就得要二三百人。
9. If you are a twinkler, you have the ability to walk into a room and bring the sunshine with you, making everyone else want to bask in it.
【译文】满怀喜悦的人能把阳光带进他所走进的房间,使别人愿意沐浴在这阳光中.
10. Her dark eyes made little reflected stars. She was looking at him as she was always looking at him when he awakened.
【译文】她那双乌黑的眼睛就像亮晶晶的星星在闪烁,他平素醒来的时候,她也是这样望着
他。
【译文】此句中有两个“she was looking at him”,如不作省略而译为“她像平常那样望着她一样望着他”,汉语就显得啰嗦繁复,诘屈聱牙。
11. There are some things that I have happily seen of the wondrous way of the spider.
【译文】蜘蛛的奇异动态,我曾有幸目睹。
【解析】译文省去“there are some things that”后,文字简约,表达生动,意思明确。
12. Standing as it does on a high hill, the church commands a new view.
【译文】教堂建在高山上,向下眺望,风景优美。
13. You shall facilitate the foreign trade enterprises by adopting measures such as holiday appointment inspection application, telephone inspection application, fax inspection application, advance inspection application, and clockwise wait for inspection.
【译文】要通过采取节假日预约报检、电话报检、传真报检、提前报检、全天候候检等种种措施,为各家外贸企业提供便利。
【解析】译文省略了对英语原文中代词“you”的翻译。原文中的“you”为泛指人称代词,不是指某个具体的听话人。因此,根据汉语语言习惯,对于泛指人称代词,通常需要将其省略而采用无主句来翻译。
14. He liked to go to dances and parties, where he could have a good time just sitting and watching.
【译文】他喜欢参加舞会和聚会,就是坐在一旁观看,也会很开心。
15. There are a variety of population problems in all parts of the world.
【译文】世界各地存在着各种各样的人口问题。
【解析】译文省略了there are的翻译,更加简洁易懂,也更符合汉语行文习惯。
16. How is it with the sick man?
【译文】那病人怎么样了?
17. It is all over with him.
【译文】他一切都完了。
18. She feared it would go hard with Antonio.
【译文】她怕安东尼奥要受苦。
19. Lu Xun has it that “Read your own work at least twice after you have got through your writing, trying to cut off all unnecessary words, sentences, and even paragraphs without any regret.’’
【译文】鲁迅说,“写完后至少看两遍,竭力将可有可无的字、句、段删去,毫不可惜。”
20. It is with words as with sunbeams: the more they are condensed, the deeper the burn.
【译文】文字像日光一样:愈精炼,愈有力。
21. I don’t think it is he.
【译文】我想不是他。
22. You’ll be in for it if father finds out you’ve not been to school for three days.【译文】要是爸爸发现你三天没去上学,你就要倒霉了。
23. He led a dog’s life of it.
【译文】他过着牛马不如的生活。
24. Lord Angelo dukes it well. (Shakespeare)
【译文】安哲罗勋爵很有爵爷的神气。
25. We are born to slave it for our lord. (Thackeray)
【译文】我们生来就是为君主效劳的。
26. I am used to roughing it.
【译文】我已习惯于栉风沐雨,过艰苦的生活了。
27. He lords it over his inferiors.
【译文】他对部下摆架子,逞威风。
28. If you are found out, you will catch it.
【译文】如果你被发现,你要挨骂的。
29. I am determined to fight it out.
【译文】我决心要斗到底。
30. She is starring it in the provinces.
【译文】在几个省她正在成为观众注意的中心(成为主角/明星演员)。
31. We had to walk it in the rain.
【译文】我们不得不冒雨而行。
32. Can’t you swim it?
【译文】你能游过去吗?
33. Shall we walk it or bus it?
【译文】我们走路还是乘巴士?
34. We will have a hard time of it.