1. Given the chance to show his ability, he regained confidence and began
to succeed in school.
2. It is so difficult to explore the bottom of the ocean because some parts are
3. It was about 30 seconds before Alex emerged from the water; we were
4. We often assume that when other people do the same things as we do,
they do them for the same reasons; but this assumption is not always reasonable.
5. There is widespread concern that the rising unemployment may pose a
threat to social stability.
7. It is well known that China is a country with rich natural resources and a
very big population.
8. Some people believe that the earth can yield enough food to support at
least twice its present population.
9. Sam inherited the gift of imagination from his family, but he lacked the
driving power to take action.
10. A bee that has found honey is able to transmit to other bees the information they need in order to collect the honey.
1 / 19
open the door to 给···以机会in advance 预先，提前
all at once 同时，一下子reap the benefits (of) 得享（某事物）的
好处make the most of最大限度的利用某物over time逐
get by过活，活的去stand a chance (of)有（做成某事）
remind ... of 使某人想起take pleasure in乐于做
1. My family got by on my father's unemployment benefit after he lost his job.
2. Many subway riders read books or listen to music in order to make the most
of their time on the way to work.
3. In order to make sure he would be able to attend the meeting, I called him up
two weeks in advance.
5. In order to reap the benefits of the physical exercise, you have to exercise
regularly, and for at least half an hour each time.
6. They all tried to talk all at once , but I couldn't hear anything they said.
7. Yellow flowers in the field always remind me of my childhood in the
8. We have been practicing for so long and so hard that our team should stand a chance of winning the game.
9. Research on genes will open the door to exciting new medical treatments.
10. Every one of you has made a contribution and I take pleasure in acknowledging what each of you has done to make this academic convention such a
2 / 19
1. He has a special feeling for the brilliant birds, and each spring he eagerly
awaits their return.
2. Thanks to the efficiency of air transport, everyone is free to go anywhere at
3. John believes that the donation of food to the hungry is more helpful than
4. Mary was a careful speaker; every word seemed to have been polished
before it was allowed to escape through her lips.
5. When she heard it was snowing in the city they were going to, she stuffed
two more sweaters into her bag.
6. During our stay in Europe we visited many places of historical interest, including several castles.
3 / 19
7. The wedding ceremony of my sister was a very emotional experience for
8. He was embarrassd when he discovered that he didn't have enough money
to pay for the red wine he had ordered.
9. The local government is pressed to find new places to waste. 10. The new
system designed to dump harmful emissions (排放物) from factories will be put
into use soon.
10. The new system designed to curb harmful emissions (排放物) from factories will be put into use soon.
4 / 19
make it获得成功，准时到达with open arms热烈地，欣然
strip off揭开去掉脱掉keep back抑制，控制，隐瞒
free of/from无···拜托了···的after all毕竟终究
straighten up直起身，把···弄整洁throw away 扔掉丢弃
1. After 10 years of full-time training, she has finally make it as a professional
3. Redecorating the house is a challenging task. It's necessary to strip off the
5. A lot of what we throw away is made from raw materials which are not
6. Megan and John realized that their house was too messy for a new baby, so
they decided to straighten up their house before the baby was born.
7. Jennifer couldn't keep back her tears when she saw the sick children at a
new blood cancer center in Virginia.
8. We want to give all children a world free of/from violence.
每年农历（Chinese lunar calendar）八月十五是我国的传统节
日——中秋节（the Mid-Autumn Festival）。这时是一年秋季的中期，所以被称为中秋。中秋节的一项重要活动是赏月。夜晚，人们赏明月、吃月饼，共庆中秋佳节。中秋节也是家庭团圆的时刻，远在他乡的游子，会借此寄托自己对故乡和亲人的思念之情。中秋节的习俗很多，都寄托着人们对美好生活的热爱和向往。自____年起，中秋节成为中国的法定节假日。
5 / 19
2. People are beginning to realize that to transform nature at will is the biggest
mistake that man has ever made.
3. It is difficult to conclude what a(n) typical student does in his spare time
because every student has different interests.
5. Some of your suggestions have been adopted , but others have been turned
down as they are not workable.
6. All of a sudden, he lost his interest in engineering, and focused his attention
on learning a foreign language.
8. I failed to pass the exam although I had worked very hard. I should analyze
the causes of my failure.
9. When you do yoga, try to regulate your breathing. Don't breathe too fast
and make sure you breathe only through your nose.
10. It was difficult to estimate how many people had been wounded in the
6 / 19
keep up with保持，同步，和朋友保持联系set up建立设立创立
fire off开枪，匆忙发出take the lead树立榜样，带头
add to增加，增添stand out显眼，突出，出色
in large part多半，在很大程度上visit with叙谈闲谈
account for占据，是···的原因，解释at a disadvantage处于不利地位的
2. People browse the Internet, read newspapers and watch TV to keep
what is happening in the world.
4. I find it very difficult to account for the fact that two of our best students
failed the exam.
6. She is getting popular since she appeared in a TV interview last month. Her
new movie will no doubt add to her growing fame.
7. The developed countries should take the lead in reducing greenhouse gas
emissions (排放) and provide support for the developing nations to follow.
7 / 19
8. If your spoken English is not very good, then you may be at a disadvantage
when you are looking for a job.
9. Their success was due in large part to their well-conceived (周密策划的)
10. He has been so occupied with his work these days that he barely has time to
visit with his friends.
中国航天业开创于____年。几十年来，中国航天事业创造了一个又一个奇迹。____年，中国成功发射了第一颗人造地球卫星，成为世界上第五个独立自主研制和发射人造地球卫星的国家。____年，中国开始实施载人航天飞行工程（manned spaceflight program）。____年，中国成功发射了神舟五号载人飞船，使中国成为第三个发射载人飞船的国
China's space industry was launched in 1956. Over the past decades, China's
space industry has created one miracle after another. In 1970 China launched its first
man-made earth satellite, ranking China the fifth country in the world to independently develop and launch man-made earth satellites. In 1992 China began to
carry out the manned spaceflight program. In 2003 China launched Shenzhou-5, a
manned spaceship. The successful launch made China the third country to launch
manned spaceships. In 2007 Chang'e-1, the first lunar-orbiting
was sent to space. In 2013 Shenzhou-10, the fifth manned spaceship, was launched
successfully, laying the foundation for building the Chinese Space Station.
8 / 19
1. Fortunately, the accident didn't involve many people, for there was little
traffic at that hour.
4. As music plays an important role in our life, many music teachers and educators advocate taking up a musical instrument at a young age.
5. This rule should be entirely clear in the minds of everyone and should not be
misunderstood under any circumstances .
6. My daughter was shy; she was afraid to ask questions, respond to questions
in class, or talk with other children.
7. I got from him only a letter, which was put on my office desk; subsequent to
the receipt of this letter I have never heard from him.
8. The duties to provide services for children in need are not confine to the
local social services department.
9. We pray that all nations be reconciled and that all people around the world
live in peace.
10. He suggested a small but distinct improvement on our former plan;
9 / 19
in sb.'s words/in the words of sb.用某人的话来说
count on依靠指望make sense of理解，弄懂某事
reserve for预留，保留shield from使···免受
call on呼吁，号召sum up概括总结
relate to理解，认同in need在困难时，在贫困之中
be/get caught up in被卷入，陷入
1. She held her hand above her eyes to shield them from the sun so that she
could see more clearly the man in front of her.
2. The boy studied the signs for over an hour, but still could not make sense of
them, so he turned to his teacher for help.
4. We will continue to care for those in need and work to establish a society
that is generous and prosperous.
5. Many people are/get caught up in careers and raising kids so that they
forget that their marriages also need to be taken good care of.
6. My most favorite program is the one that deals with scientific subjects that
ordinary people can relate to .
7. Finally, I would like to sum up by saying that it has been a tremendous
pleasure to work with you all.
8. He is a person that you can always count on when you need help.
10 / 19
9. Betty loves reading.In her words , Reading is the most wonderful thing in the
10. This restaurant is very popular because it has some separate, smaller rooms
reserved for families with small children.
郑和是中国历史上最著名的航海家（maritime explorer）。公元1405 年，明朝的统治者为了稳固边防（border defense）和开展海上贸易，派
郑和下西洋（the Western Seas）。在此后的28 年里，郑和带领船队
七下西洋，前后出海的人员有10 多万人，访问了30 多个国家和地区。船队纵横南亚、西亚，一直到非洲大陆。郑和下西洋是世界航海（navigation）史上的壮举，它展现了郑和卓越的航海和组织才能，
同时展现了明朝的国力和国威（national strength and
Zheng He was the most famous maritime explorer in Chinese history. In 1405
AD, the ruler of the Ming Dynasty sent Zheng He on a voyage to the Western Seas in
order to strengthen border defense and develop trade by sea. In the following 28
years, Zheng He led his fleet, made seven voyages to the Western Seas with over
100,000 crew members in total, and visited more than 30 countries and regions. The
fleet traveled far into South Asia and West Asia, and made all the way to the
continent of Africa. Zheng He's voyages to the Western Seas were a great feat in the
world's navigation history. It showed Zheng He's outstanding navigation and
organization talents; meanwhile, it exhibited the national strength and prestige of
the Ming Dynasty, and strengthened the relationships between the Ming Dynasty
and the overseas countries.
11 / 19
1. The annual conference which I attend every year is going to be held in