1. Mrs. Smith complained to me that she often found it simply impossible to communicate with her 16-year-old daughter.
2. I firmly believe that reading simplified English novels is an easy and enjoyable way of enlarging our vocabulary.
3. I don’t think wee doing enough to protect our environment from pollution.
4. In addition to/ Apart from writing compositions on a weekly basis, our English teacher assigned us eight books to read during the summer.
5. We’ve learned from reliable sources that a native English speaker is going to teach us spoken English next term/semester.
6. Seeing English movies on a regular basis will not only improve your ear, but will also help you build your speaking skills.
7. If you have any questions about these learning strategies, please feel free to ask me. And I’ll explain them in greater detail.
8. The Canadian girl is good at seizing every opportunity to speak Chinese. That’s why she has gained a good command of spoken Chinese in less than three years.
1. The famous actor seemed content to play a minor part in the play.
2 .N ational Day is round the corner. Let’s give our bedroom a thorough clean.
3. She agreed, very reluctantly, to be operated on by a young doctor.
4. They’ve arranged for us to visit the Great Wall tomorrow. I’m sure we’ll have a good time there.
5. After reading the letter the old man was so disappointed that he tore it into little bits with trembling fingers.
6. The old couple were pound of their grandson, who got two gold medals and a bronze at the 28th Olympic Games.
7. Even if his grandmother could not come to his birthday party, she would send him a lovely present. Tom was sure of that.
8. I t was Mary’s twentieth birthday yesterday. Her father sent her a pair of boots. Her mother bought her a box of chocolates. And here boyfriend brought her a bunch of roses.
1 To take this job would involve working on weekends frequently, but John didn’t mind.
2 It is well known that lung cancer is caused at least in part by smoking too much.
3 My grandparents said that the man who invented television had once lived in their neighborhood.
4 I propose that we go to find Prof. Smith in his office right after the meeting and invite him to our English evening party.
5 Having been operated on twice for the disease, she was so weakened that she could barely stand up.
6 Educators think that the generation growing up with television spend so much of their time in front of TV that they do not have enough time to study
7 I do hope that you can come up with a better solution than this one.
8 At first glance the painting didn’t look very good, but after examining it carefully, we found that it was indeed a masterpiece.
1 Sam could not afford (to buy) the camera he longed for because it was too expensive.
2 He was so busy writing the story all the morning, only breaking off occasionally to have some/ a cup of tea.
3 He is the son of a wealthy family, but he seems to come down in the world.
4 He often took advantage of her lack of business sense to cheat her.
5 Prof. Wang, would you do us a favor by coming to our English evening Saturday?
6 He does not seem to be an old man in his eighties, considering his appearance.
7 Undoubtedly they do not have the intention of making an engineer of him, and I suspect they never will.
8 I suspected there was no quality control whatsoever in the factory. After making observations for a week I found this was indeed the case
1 We were caught up in a discussion about the situation in the Middle East when the professor walked into the classroom.
2 A truck pulled into the snow-covered playground of the school.
3 Sometime after midnight, the enemy was/were forced to retreat.
4 It was in that small room that they worked diligently and dreamed of better days to come.
5 When she heard the bell ringing, the old lady rose form her chair and made her way to the door.
6 After a day’s fight, our soldiers succeeded in taking over some important enemy positions.
7 The elderly woman angrily exclaimed that she had been cheated by the shop girl.
8 Soon after I boarded the bus, I noticed a strange-looking man. He wore an ill-fitting coat, and sat rooted in his seat.