maintain 保持prestige 声望whereby 其中nominate提名
1. Most cities in the country have introduced "Clean Air
Zones" (whereby) factories and households are only allowed to burn smokeless fuel.
全国大多数城市都实行了“洁净空气区”，工厂和家庭只允许燃烧无烟燃料。2. He knows that the (pursuit) of social status can consume vast amounts of his
time and effort.
3. The doctors are at a loss because so far no medicine has been found to
(inhibit) the spread of the disease.
4. We see many special education directors trying to (maintain) the quality of
their programs with much less money and much smaller staff.
5. People there are told it is their (patriotic) duty to support the national
economy by buying their own products.
6. Darwin's thinking both drew upon and (transcended)the conventional ideas of
7. In spite of all your (endeavors), there may be times when you encounter
difficulties in the training process.
8. My advice to Mr. Stewart is to think carefully before entering into a career in
medicine, as this is a field which requires a lot of (dedication)and long working hours.
9. Most Chinese parents would prefer to choose some professions that are stable
and could bring (prestige)and economic benefits.
10. It is legally possible for an elderly person to (nominate) someone to act for
them, should they become incapable of looking after themselves.
1. Thomas Edison is often cited as an example of a great inventor who would never
yield to hardships in his quest for new inventions and deserve
of unconventional attitudes toward marriage and the
changing roles of the sexes.
3. Most scientists in the world today firmly believe the effective means to stop
global warming is to reduce emissions of air pollutants
4. Earthquakes have plagued our lives and resulted in great damage to the human
beings for as long as people have inhabited
Miss World organizers claim on their official website that contestants
judged on qualities other than just their physical appearance.
Many of today's Chinese Americans are the descendants
of early immigrant
miners and railroad workers who came from southeast China.
The Princess was followed by five or six attendants
when she got off the
plane at the Pittsburgh International Airport.
I don't think she'd get angry if you were a little more respectful
disagreed with her on matters of child rearing.
9. The attendance has increased steadily over the last five years and the conference
attracts more and more international participants
10. Although she had sacrificed so much for her family, her husband accused her of
of her duty as a wife and mother.
Educated young people in China now are clever and resourceful
, full of
plans, and able to cope with the world of high technology and constant change.
12. In order to leave a good impression on the interviewers, you should emphasize
your good points without sounding
Where there is a will, there is a way. This proverb means that if you are really determined to do something, however difficult it might be, you will(1)
find a way to do it well. The (2)premier
point is that you must
have the will to achieve success.
Ninety percent of the failures that occur are due to the fact that there is no strong will involved. Many people simply say that they want something, but they
do not make any (3)endeavor
to achieve it. So, instead of getting it, they use
the poorest excuse to explain the situation away.
On many occasions, people tend to (4)bypass
every minute obstacle, making
the objective impossible to attain. In reality, if they have the will to succeed, they
can get rid of the (5)handicaps
and achieve their goals.
Only those with a(n) (6)committed
and focused will and spirit can fight their way
to final victory. Many a famous man has the same experience. They have (7) attained
their prestige because they have had the will to (8)
transcend apparently insuperable (无法克服的) obstacles. Many artists, statesmen, writers and inventors have managed to succeed because they possess a fierce will,
which has helped them to accomplish major(9)feats
成功了，因为他们有强烈的意志，帮助他们取得了重大成就（9）。Therefore, we can see that the main thing which one needs is a strong will. Weak-willed people never climb to the top. They collapse at the (10)
use of force against them. Strong-willed people, on the other hand, will stand up against all odds and will make it a point to succeed.
preclude ... from deviate from fail in triumph over
work one's way into in the pursuit of write off remove ... from 1. When Francis got back after Easter, he was far behind his classmates and he
was removed from
the second into the third class at his own desire.
The president acknowledged that he had somehow failed in
his ability to
communicate to the American people.
3. Unfortunately, as history has shown, some of the companies are guilty of
misconduct in the pursuit of
The ship deviated from
the agreed voyage and arrived about 10 days late
and in the meantime the price of sugar had fallen and the merchants lost over ￡4,000.
Because the transcript is still under seal, the law (1)precludes
reading and discussing the evidence in detail.
6. In carrying out the plan we are likely to come across difficulties, but we are
determined to triumph over
7. Without increasing investment in education, it will be increasingly difficult for
low-income people to work their way into
the middle class.
8. All the passengers in the plane that crashed in the middle of the Andes
Mountains a week ago were written off
Global citizen is someone who identifies with being part of an emerging world community and whose actions contribute to building this community's values
and practices. Global citizenship believes that humankind is essentially one
and each individual has the power to change things. In our interdependent world, global citizenship encourages us to recognize our responsibilities toward each other and learn from each other. Global citizens care about education, disease, poverty, and environmental issues around the world. Today, the forces of global engagement are helping some people identify themselves as global citizens who have a sense of belonging to a world community. This growing global identity in large part is made possible by the
forces of modern information, communications and transportation technologies.
Global citizenship aims to empower people to lead their own action. Along with
the knowledge and values that they have gained from learning about global issues, people need to be equipped with the necessary skills to give themselves the ability and confidence to be pro-active in making a positive difference in the world.
Nowadays, many young people no longer choose “stable” jobs. Instead, they prefer to start their own businesses and realize their self-value through their
own wisdom and efforts. Young entrepreneurship is the source of national