His failure in the exam has made him aware of the importance of reviewing
his lessons regularly.
Be sure not to forget what your parents said to you before you left home.
I'm sure her knowledge of English is adequate for the job.
The purpose of this article is to tell the students how to develop good
5、在当今时代，人们越来越多地依靠计算机(computers)来解决各种各样的问题。In our age, people depend more and more on computers to solve various kinds of difficult problems.
Skimming not only helps you get some idea of what you are going to read
but also helps you read faster and improve your comprehension.
Some people believe that boys are cleverer than girls. This is not
necessarily the case, however.
Even students of average intelligence can become top students by improving their study habits.
Fortunately there was a hospital nearby and we took him there at one.
After succeeding in landing on George Island, the captain sent a radio message to his headquarters.
He is determined to continue his experiment but this time he’ll do it
When she read the novel, she couldn’t help thinking of the five years she
had spent in the countryside.
Mary thought it difficult to carry out her plan all by herself.
6、我们认为他不能在一刻钟内走完那段距离，但他却成功地做到了这一点。We didn't think he could cover the distance in a quarter of an hour, but
he succeeded in doing it.
7、甚至在他的医生告诉他患有肺癌之后，奇切斯特仍不肯放弃环球航行的宿愿。Even after his doctor told him he had lung cancer, Chichester would not
give up his old dream of sailing round the world.
I was busy making a new device for catching rats when Mark came and dragged me out to a flower show.
That famous actor seemed content to play a minor part in the play.
National day is round the corner. Let’s give our bedroom a thorough cle an.
She agreed, very reluctantly, to be operated on by a young doctor.
4、他们已安排好让我们明天去游览长城，我相信我们在那儿一定会玩得很开心。They’ve arranged for us to visit the Great Wall tomorrow . I’m sure we’ll
have a good time there (we’ll enjoy ourselve s there).
After reading the letter the old man was so disappointed that he tore it
into little bits with trembling fingers.
The old couple were proud of their grandson, who got/won two gold medals and one bronze medal at the 26rd Olympic Games.
Even if his grandmother could not come to his birthday party, she would
send him a lovely present. Tom was sure of that.
It was Mary’s twentieth birthday yesterday. Her father sent her a pair of boots. Her mother bought her a box of chocolates. And her boy friend
brought her a bunch of red roses.
To take this job would involve working on weekends frequently, but John didn’t mind.
It is well know that lung cancer is caused at least in part by smoking too much..
My grandparents said that the man who invented television had once lived
in their neighborhood.
I propose that we go to find Prof. Smith in his office right after the
meeting and invite him to our English evening.
Having been operated on twice for the disease, she was so weakened that she could barely stand up.
Educators think that the generation growing up with television spend so much of their time in front of the TV that they do not have enough time
I do hope that you can come up with a better solution than this.
At first glance the picture didn’t look very good, but after examining it carefully we found that it was indeed a masterpiece.
1、史密斯医生从窗口望出去，突然看到一个年轻人正向他的诊所奔来。Looking out of the window, Dr. Smith caught sight of a young man running towards his clinic.
Amy used to drink nothing but coffee.
Myra broke into tears when she learned that her husband had got injured in an accident.
W haven’t seen Miss White for quite a few days. Has she fallen ill of something?
The director of the research institute came in person to make sure that everything was all right.
6、伦尼今天早晨上学又迟到了。他应该早一点起床的。肯定是昨晚睡得太迟了。Lennie was late for school again this morning. He ought to /should have
got up earlier. He must have stayed up too late last night.
Say you oughtn’t to have driven away those kids. They came to lend you a hand, not to make trouble.
It is important for nurses to stick to this rule.
It was reported that the building of the railway had been held up by a flood.
The strike resulted in the management accepting the workers’ demands.
The coalminers decided to go on strike for better working conditions.
I’d like very much to buy the English dictionary Unfortunately , I haven’t got enough money on me.
I’d like to talk over with you the English translation of the article before sending it to Mr. Hobbs.
The Blacks happened to be at the cinema when their house caught fire.
What do you think a scientist must do in order to keep up with the latest developments in his field?
The author thinks that if excellent workers get frequent pay increases and promotions, they will have greater incentive to produce.
Sam could not afford (to buy) the camera he longed for because it was too expensive.
He was busy writing the story all the morning , only breaking off occasionally to have some tea.
He is the son of a wealthy family, but he seems to have come down in the world.
He often took advantage of her lack of business sense to cheat her.
Prof. Wang , would you do us a favor by coming to our English evening this Saturday?
He does not seem to be an old man in his eighties, considering his appearance.
7、他们肯定没打算把他培养成一名工程师，我猜想他们永远也不会这样做。Undoubtedly they do not have the intention of making an engineer of him, and I suspect they never will.
I suspected there was no quality control whatsoever in the factory. After making observations for a week I found it was indeed the cases.
She stooped to pick up the handkerchief and smoothed it out on the table.
The implication of his statement is that he'd like a job in a government department.
She paused a moment, wiped her mouth with a small handkerchief and then went on to tell us what had happened in the shirt factory.
Mr. Adams was greatly shocked to find his 13-year-old son stealing money from his wallet.
5、“请不要打断我，”亚当斯先生对妻子说：“我正在跟汤姆谈他刚才做的事情。”“Please do not interrupt me , ” said Mr. Adams to his wife. “I’m talking to Tom about what he was just done.”
How can I be responsible for what he says?
The young boy was eager to make the woman less unhappy, but he did not know what to do.
8、他努力控制住自己的感情，假超前享受没有听见那个令人悲痛的消息。With an effort, he held in his feelings and pretended not to hear the sad news.
Certain chemicals should not be mixed, as they may have a violent reaction.
Recent events have proved that their attitude to the government's new foreign policy is correct.
This philosopher of ancient Greece seemed able to put complicated thoughts into simple words.
Over and over again, the nation has got involved in foreign wars.
We had a very heated discussion about the question. However, it’s not easy to tell exactly what each person said.
In the past twenty years, there has been a great increase in the amount of research being done on the cause of cancer.
There seems to be no limit to human beings' ability to learn.
8、科学家们一致认为更好地了解人脑将有助于人们充分利用其无限的潜力。Scientists all agree that a better understanding of the human brain will help man to make full se of its limitless potential.
We were caught up in a discussion about the situation in the Middle East when the professor walked into the classroom.
A truck pulled into the snow-covered playground of the school.
Sometime after midnight, the enemy was/were forced to retreat.
It was in that small room that they worked diligently and dreamed of better days to come.
When she heard the bell ringing, the old lady rose from her chair and made her way to the door.
After a day’s fight, our soldiers succeeded in taking over some important enemy positions.
The elderly woman angrily exclaimed that she had been cheated by the shop girl.
Soon after I boarded the bus, I noticed a strange-looking man. He wore an
ill-fitting coat, and sat rooted in his seat.
1．Gases such as carbon monoxide, emitted by factories and automobiles, have seriously polluted the atmosphere.
2．The industrial engineer’s letter indicates that he doubts the feasibility of t he plan.
3．Many parents in the United States set aside a fund for their children’s education before they are born.
4．I have made sure that her conclusion is based on facts.
5．The medical team, composed of three doctors and two nurses, set off for the mountain(ous) area a few days ago.
6．The village is named after the high mountain that stands in front of it.
7．He was ill for about a week, which has really set him back in his studies. 他病了一个月左右，这使他在学习上耽误了很多
8．The war that broke out between the North and the South in 1861 is known in history as the American Civil War.
1．Their argument ended when she slammed the door and left without a word. 她砰地关上门，一声不吭地走了，他们间那场争执就此结束
2．The guest at the dinner party were slightly surprised at the commanding tone of the American.
3．Johnny has outgrown the fear of staying at home alone.
4．While all the other passengers made for the exit, he alone remained in his seat as if unwilling to leave the plane.
5．The letter is to be handed to Dr. Wilson himself.
6．While she felt like joining in the argument, Nancy was too shy to open her mouth.
7．What do you think is the likeliest time to find him at home?
8．The hunter’s face (was) lit up with excitement as soon as he saw a fox emerge from among the bushes and run in the
direction of/ make for the trap he had laid.
1．It was suggested at the meeting that a committee of 11 be appointed to make a new constitution.
2．By making on-the-spot observation, the young scientist obtained first-hand information they needed in their research work.
3．It is very likely that he will be rejected by the army because of his bad eyesight.
4．The committee members have conflicting opinions as to the best location of the new airport.
5. Henry’s works of art are superior in many respects to those of his brother’s. 亨利创作的艺术品在许多方面比他兄弟的要好
6. The steady rise in the quality of our products owes much to the improvement of our equipment.
7. Jim would have preferred to act on his own judgment, but he didn’t because as a soldier he had to obey the order.
吉姆本想按照自己的判断行事，但他没有这样做，因为作为军人他得服从命令8. Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a city without bikes or one without cars. I should not hesitate a
moment to prefer the latter.
1. She got a post as a cashier at a local bank. But she was soon fired because she proved to be incompetent.
2. It is obviously/clearly his young assistant who is running the book store.
3. No sooner had the proposal been announced at the meeting than she got to her feet to protest.
4. Bill has applied to Harvard University for a teaching assistantship, but his chances of getting it are slim.
5. Being short of funds, they are trying to attract foreign capital.
6. The room smells of stale air. It must have been vacant for a long time.
7. As far as hobbies are concerned, Jane and her sister have little in common. 就业余爱好而言，珍妮和她妹妹几乎没有什么共同之处。
8. It is self-evident that the education of the young is vital to the future of a country.
1. The little girl ran so fast that she was thrown off balance and fell over/down. 那小女孩跑的太快，身体一下失去平衡，跌倒了。
2. I was impressed by his devotion to his research but I did not have the slightest interest in his profound theories.
3. Be sure not to say anything capable of being misunderstood.
4. I was so bewildered by their conflicting advice that I did not know how to act. 我被他们互相矛盾的意见搞糊涂了，不知如何去做才是。
5. At first this complicated problem frustrated them, but after thinking it over carefully they finally worked out a solution.
6．The head of the sports delegation beamed with delight when a young pioneer presented him with a bunch of flowers.
7．I really don’t see why our English teacher should single out our monitor for praise since we have all done quite well this term.
8．I believe in the theory that the higher animals developed from the lower ones.
1. If / As long as you keep on trying, you will be able to resolve this difficult problem sooner or later.
2. We anticipate encountering / that we will encounter resistance to our plan / our plan will meet with resistance.
3. Jim’s friends said that the noise pollut ion in their city was terrible, but they had to live with it.
4. At first Tom thought that with his knowledge, skill and experience he was bound to find a satisfactory job.
5. It would be wise (advisable) to handle this delicate problem with calmness and patience.
6. Dick thought that if he was not able to take the machine apart, chances were that no other worker in the plant could, either.
7. Do you think bus drivers should take full responsibility for the passenger’s safety.
8. You need not dwell on your mistakes in judgment any more. What’s important is to try your best to avoid repeating them.
1. The local people’s response to the new security measures was enthusiastic. 当地居民对新的安全措施反应热烈。
2. What good will it do to argue with him if he takes a negative attitude toward the whole thing?
3. Just before he was released from jail. Vingo wrote a letter to his wife asking she would have him back.
4. The criminal was given a stiff sentence of fifteen years.
5. The doctor told Mrs. Nolen that her decision to move to the countryside was an intelligent one and probably had helped to
a certain degree to bring back her health.
6. His room was small but quite cozy, with a fireplace, a soft chair and a sofa. He seemed contented with it.
7. The policeman asked the driver to describe the accident in a greater detail. 警察要求司机把事故讲述得更详细一些。
8. Peter is not good at maths, but when it comes to sports, he is the best in the class.