The plant does not grow well in soils other than the one in which it has been developed.
2. 研究结果表明，无论我们白天做了什么事情，晚上都会做大约两个小时的梦。 Research findings show that we spend about two hours dreaming every night, no matter wh at we may have done during the day.
Some people tend to justify their failure by blaming others for not trying their best. 4. 我们忠于我们的承诺：凡是答应做的，我们都会做到。
We remain true to our commitment: Whatever we promised to do, we would do it. 5. 连贝多芬的父亲都不相信自己儿子日后有一天可能成为世界上最伟大的音乐家。爱迪生也同样如此，他的老师觉得他似乎过于迟钝。
Even Beethoven's father discounted the possibility that his son would one day become the greate st musician in the world. The same is true of Edison, who seemed to his teacher to be quite dull.
They were accused by the authorities of threatening the state security.
1. If you move into any place other than your own private home, make sure you know what the r ules are about pets if you have one.
出入除自己家以外的任何场所时，如果你带有宠物，一定要了解有关宠物的规定。 2. Some women could have made a good salary in job instead of staying at home, but they decided not to work for the sake of the family.
3. How can you justify such rudeness? You will pay heavily for that because they have sued you fo r damaging their good name.
4. Criticism can be of great use; we may not like it at the time, but it can spur us on to greater thi ngs.
5. His uncompromising behavior, to which the public objected, left him bankrupt emotionally and financially.
6. Even if you fail, don't let failure harm you, don't let failure take over. Remember failure is a nec essary step in learning; it is not the end of your learning, but the beginning.
Unit2 1 ．要是这部喜剧中的人物更幽默些的话，就会吸引更多的观众。If the characters in this comedy had been more humorous，it would have attracted a larger audience． 2.她从未对自己的能力失去信心，因此她有可能成为一名成功的演员She has never lost faith in her own ability, so it is a possibility for her to become a successful actress. 3 ．我从未接受过正式培训，我只是边干边学。I never had formal training，I just learned as I went along? 4.随着产品的进入国际市场，他们的品牌知名度越来越高了。As their products find their way into
the international market，their brand is gaining in popularity. 5 ．她可以编造一个故事，说自己被窃贼打昏，所有的钱没了，但她怀疑自己是否能让这个故事听起来可信。She could make up a story by saying she was knocked unconscious by thieves and that all her money was gone，but she doubted whether she could make it sound believable. 6 ．谁都不清楚他是否故意推迟了这次访问，可是这引起了对他更多的批评。No one was certain whether he postponed the visit on purpose, but this brought more criticism of him．
1.如果没有查理?卓别林，世界电影史就会不一样了。If there had been no Charlie Chaplin, the history of world cinema would have been different.
2.令人感到宽慰的是，他的努力最终给予了他长期渴望的结果—他成功地发现了这种疾病的原因。It was a relief that his hard work eventually gave him the result that he had long desired: He successfully discovered the cause of the disease.
3.查理?卓别林是最伟大、最广受热爱的电影明星之一。从《流浪汉》到《摩登时代》，他拍摄了许多他那个时代最有趣、最受欢迎的电影。他最出名的是他扮演的一个人物—年轻可爱的小流浪汉。Charlie Chaplin was one of the greatest and most widely loved movie stars. From The Tramp to Modern Times, he made many of the funniest and most popular films of his time. He was best known for his character, the youthful and lovable Little Tramp.
4.卓别林是一个才能非凡的人：自他1914年第一次在电影中出现，两年时间内他就成了这个国家最有名的人物之一。Chaplin was an immensely talented man. Within only two years of his first appearance in motion pictures in 1914, he became one of the best-known personalities in the nation.
5.查理?卓别林对20世纪初期每个人的生活都产生了影响。与有史以来的任何人相比，他让更多的人欢笑，改变了人们看待这个世界的方式。Charlie Chaplin had an impact on everyone’s life in the early 20th century. He made more people laugh than any other man who ever lived and changed the way people looked at the world.
6. 1977年，查理?卓别林在圣诞节那天去世了，身后留下了悲伤的家人和朋友，以及全世界数以百万计的影迷。On Christmas Day in 1977 Charlie Chaplin passed away. He left behind family and friends saddened by his death, and millions of fans worldwide.
1. This little man is not so innocent as he appears. 这个小个子男子并不如他看上去那么单纯。
2. There's nothing I can do about the problem, so you might as well turn to Professor Wang for he lp.
3. Both sides speak highly of the fruits in their cooperation in different areas, and hope that the cooperation can be furthered.
4. On the one hand, an image of being close to the people can get a new policy more easily accep ted. On the other hand, it will "encourage people to speak their minds and come up with constru ctive suggestions".
5. His sense of loneliness rose and fell and he sometimes would talk at length to himself and his p ets and the television.
6. After all, money is not everything. The richest people are not necessarily the happiest.
1.新的机制并不像他们预期的那样有效，因为数月过去了，但管理效率并没有明显改进。The new mechanism is not so effective as they had excepted, for months passed and there has be en no big improvement and management efficiency.
Idont want to scare you unnecessarily, but you might as well face facts and look at a few numbers .
Loneliness is marked by a sense of isolation. Solitude, on the other hand, is a state of being alone without being lonely and can lead to self-awareness 4.孤独是一种消极的状态，你会感到失去了某种东西。你可能与别人在一起仍然感到孤独—这也许是孤独最痛苦的形式。Loneliness is a negative state. One feels that something is missing. It is possible to be with people and still feel lonely—perhaps the bitterest form of loneliness
Solitude is a positive state of engagement with oneself. Solitude is desirable, a state being alone where you provide yourself wonderful and sufficient company.
6.梭罗说，一个人即使身处同伴之中，如果不对他们敞开心扉，仍会感到孤独。 Thoreau says that loneliness can occur even amid companions if one’s heart is not open to them.
Unit 6 1. 假设你发现了你自己的同事受贿，你会不会无动于衷呢？Suppose you found out that your colleague takes bribes, would you just ignore it? 2. 他如此固执，我们已对他失望了。跟他争论一点意义都没有。We've given up on him because he is so stubborn. It is pointless to argue with him. 3. 他突然想到了一个加速实验进程的好办法，但组里的成员却对此意见不一。He hit upon a good method to speed up the progress of the experiment, but opinions differed among members of the group on it. 4. 今天我能够使自己的职业与兴趣相符，之前我是做不到的。Today I'm able to square my profession with my interest, which I wasn't able to do before. 5. 要成为一名驾驶员，视觉上分辨红色与绿色的能力是必不可少的。The ability to visually distinguish between red and green is essential to becoming a driver. 6. 这个组由七个人组成，他们经常见面，分享彼此的信息。The team consisted of seven people who met on a regular basis to share their information with each other. 1. Suppose you were offered a bribe in exchange for a promise, what would you do—receive it or stand by your principles? 假设有人向你行贿，要换取一种承诺，你会怎么做？是接受呢，还是坚持自己的原则? 2. Nowadays, people wouldn't put up with those terrible circumstances, but in those days it was accepted as a fact of life. 现在人们不会忍受那些糟糕的境况，可是在那些日子里却只能接受那样的现实。 3. Cheating in various forms is on the increase in colleges and universities, and I have lost count of the number of students who were caught cheating this semester. 大学校园里形形色色的作弊现象越来越多，我已不记得这学期有多少学生因作弊而被捉住了。 4. Mr. Aichi had to withdraw himself from the competition for the position of state governor when it was revealed that he had been on the take. 当艾奇先生被披露曾受贿时，他不得不退出州长职位的竞争。 5. While originally he had been fully in support of the reform policies, later he began to attack the reform movement. 虽然他原先完全支持改革政策，可后来却开始抨击这场改革运动了。 6. The professor definitely will
not agree with the point that the translation amounted to little more than looking up words in dictionaries. 这位教授肯定不会同意翻译基本是在词典里查生词的观点。
Unit8 1. 只要他守规矩，我倒不在乎他晚上在外呆得这么晚。I don't mind his staying out so late as long as he behaves himself. 2. 与其他计划相比，我更喜欢他的计划，因为我觉得没有任何一个计划比他的计划更实际。I prefer his plan to others in that I think no plan is more practical than his. 3. 他们与那家公司中断了生意来往，因为那家公司上一个财政年度损失惨重，已经破产了They broke off business relations with that company as it suffered huge losses in the last fiscal year and went bankrupt. 4. 既然你不喜欢他，当初为什么还要邀请他参加你的生日晚会呢？Now that you don't like him, why did you invite him to your birthday party in the first place? 5. 虽然知道获胜的可能性不大，但比赛失败后，我们多少还是有点沮丧。Though we knew our chances to win were slim, we were more or less depressed when we lost in the game. 6. 也许这是为进步而付出的代价，谁知道呢? Perhaps this was the price that has to be paid for progress-who knows
1. I don't mind their disapproving of my plan, but, in my heart, I still want their support.
2. Peter announced that he had no intention of singing or dancing in company with any of these girls and he gave no reason.
3. We respect those who give of their time, their friendship and their talents rather than those who
are always trying hard only to gain more for themselves.
4. It seemed that I had suffered a great loss of business and that was the price I paid for not following my parents' advice.
5. They just made the point again in passing that during my visit to that country, an interpreter would always be at my elbow.
他们只是顺便又提到了这一点 在我去那个国家旅行时 会有一位翻译一直在我身边。6. Even when parents strongly disapprove of the way their child is behaving, it is still important to make it clear that it is the behavior and not the person that is being rejected.