The plant does not grow well in soils other than the one in which it has been developed.
2. 研究结果表明，无论我们白天做了什么事情，晚上都会做大约两个小时的梦。Research findings show that we spend about two hours dreaming every night, no matter what we may have done during the day.
Some people tend to justify their failure by blaming others for not trying their best.
We remain true to our commitment: Whatever we promised to do, we would do it.
Even Beethoven's father discounted the possibility that his son would one day become the greatest musician in the world. The same is true of Edison, who seemed to his teacher to be quite dull.
They were accused by the authorities of threatening the state security.
If the characters in this comedy had been more humorous，it would have attracted a larger audience．‘
She has never lost faith in her own ability, so it is a possibility for her to become a successful actress.
I never had formal training，I just learned as I went along?
As their products find their way into the international market，their brand is gaining in popularity.
She could make up a story by saying she was knocked unconscious by thieves and that all her money was gone，but she doubted whether she could make it sound believable.
No one was certain whether he postponed the visit on purpose, but this brought more criticism of him．
Seven or eight officials are reported to have taken bribes and the mayor has decided to look into
the affair in person.
2. 这些工人后悔当时接受管理部门的意见重新回去工作。现在他们再次面临失业的危险了。These workers regret yielding to the management's advice and going back to work. Now they are again faced with the threat of losing their jobs.
You only need to fill out a form to get your membership, which entitles you to a discount on goods.
Their car broke down halfway for no reason. As a result they arrived three hours later than they had planned.
The official got involved in a scandal and was forced to resign weeks later.
The man living on welfare began to build up his own market, one step at a time and his business is thriving.
Rather than invest in my education, my parents spent their money on a new house.
Today, people are spending twice as much on entertainment and relaxation as they did in the past.
In order to be successful, a business must keep pace with developments in the marketplace.
Her fluency in English gave her an advantage over other girls for the job.
5. 对于学生而言，没有任何地方比图书馆更好了，在那里所有的图书都任由他们使用。For students, nowhere is better than the library, where all the books are at their disposal.
We should make full use of the platform to strengthen communication, expand cooperation in more areas and seek further development through joint efforts.
This little man is not so innocent as he appears.
There's nothing I can do about the problem, so you might as well turn to Professor Wang for help.
Both sides speak highly of the fruits in their cooperation in different areas, and hope that the cooperation can be furthered.
On the one hand, an image of being close to the people can get a new policy more easily
accepted. On the other hand, it will "encourage people to speak their minds and come up with constructive suggestions".
5. His sense of loneliness rose and fell and he sometimes would talk at length to himself and his pets and the television.
After all, money is not everything. The richest people are not necessarily the happiest.
Suppose you found out that your colleague takes bribes, would you just ignore it?
We've given up on him because he is so stubborn. It is pointless to argue with him.
He hit upon a good method to speed up the progress of the experiment, but opinions differed among members of the group on it.
Today I'm able to square my profession with my interest, which I wasn't able to do before.
The ability to visually distinguish between red and green is essential to becoming a driver.
The team consisted of seven people who met on a regular basis to share their information with each other.
1. 这些科学家在创建基因图谱的过程中体会到：合作不仅仅是一种有吸引力的选择，它还是一种责任。(more than)
In the process of creating the genetic map, these scientists realized that cooperation was more than an attractive option; it was a responsibility.
2. 他们的研究发现简直就是一个奇迹。由于他们的发现，人们对人类基因的历史有了新的了解。(nothing less than; shed light on)
Their research findings were nothing less than a miracle. As a result of their findings, new light has
been shed on the history of human genes.
3. 事实上，只有勤奋加方法得当才能使你在学习上比他人有优势。(in combination with; give an advantage over)
In fact, only hard work in combination with proper methods will give you an advantage over others.
4. 法官说这种惩罚将起到杀一儆百的作用。(serve as)
The judge said the punishment would serve as a warning to others.
5. 感染的危险只限于那些与病人有亲密接触的人。(be confined to)
5. The risk of infection is confined to those who have close contact with the patients.
6. 从这一分析中我们可以更好地知道发生了什么以及要做些什么。(in a better position to do) From such an analysis we are in a better position to understand what has happened and what to do about it.
1. 只要他守规矩，我倒不在乎他晚上在外呆得这么晚。(mind + V-ing)
1. 1 don't mind his staying out so late as long as he behaves himself.
2. 与其他计划相比，我更喜欢他的计划，因为我觉得没有任何一个计划比他的计划更实际。(no + singular nouns or plural nouns; in that)
2. 1 prefer his plan to others in that I think no plan is more practical than his.
3. 他们与那家公司中断了生意来往，因为那家公司上一个财政年度损失惨重，已经破产了。(break off)
3. They broke off business relations with that company as it suffered huge losses in the last fiscal year and went bankrupt.
4. 既然你不喜欢他，当初为什么还要邀请他参加你的生日晚会呢？(now that; in the first place)
4. Now that you don't like him, why did you invite him to your birthday party in the first place?
5. 虽然知道获胜的可能性不大，但比赛失败后，我们多少还是有点沮丧。(more or less)
5. Though we knew our chances to win were slim, we were more or less depressed when we lost in the game.
6. 也许这是为进步而付出的代价，谁知道呢? (pay the price)
6. Perhaps this was the price that has to be paid for progress-who knows?
1. 尽管他们做出了巨大的努力，但目前为止，博物馆每天的参观者仍然还是很少。(for all; so far)
For all their great efforts, the museum's daily attendance has so far still been very low.
2. 作为对政府检查员批评的回应，公司改变了一些做法，而不是放弃自己的规定。(in response to; rather than)
In response to criticism by government inspectors, the company changed some of its practices rather than gave up its rules.
3. 警方提醒乘客，不要将钱和贵重物品放在提包里，以防被盗。(warn against)
The police warned the passengers against putting money and precious things in bags lest they should be stolen.
4. 调查应集中于父母和孩子们如何看待学校满足他们需求的那些办法。(focus on)
Surveys ought to focus on how parents and children perceive the ways in which the school satisfies their needs.
In a flash, Tess changed from an innocent girl to a mature and well-educated woman.
6. 我能证实200列新火车正在制造中，第一批将在今年五月投入运营。(come into service)
I can confirm that 200 new trains are being manufactured and that the first of those trains will come into service in May this year.
1. 无论你的智商有多高，你的看法都受到个人经历的局限，因此要学会吸纳他人有用的观点。(no matter...)
No matter how high your IQ is, your view is limited by the
experience you have had and so you should learn to incorporate
the useful perspectives of others.
2. 这个游戏非常有趣，他们谁也没有注意到时间的流逝。(Use inverted order of "so... that...";take note of)
So interesting was the game that none of them took note of the passage of time.
3. 我一直在整理这些旧文件，看看哪些有用，哪些需要扔掉。(sort through)
I've been sorting through these old documents to see which are useful and which can be thrown away.
4. 随着年龄越来越大，你应该考虑未来的计划。(reflect on)
As you get older you should reflect on future plans.
5. 他在演出中的亮相简直是个轰动。(nothing less than)
His appearance in the show was nothing less than a sensation.
6. 他们每个月都从工资中留出一笔钱，用于孩子将来的教育。(set aside)
Every month they set aside a particular amount of money from their salary for the sake of their kid's education in the future.