编号: 15-7 开课单位：外语系授课教研室：翻译写作
《英汉互译（一）》第七讲省略词语（Omission of Words）
1. Introduction to omission of words
This translation technique means that some words in the original are left out in the version because though they are not contained in the version, their meaning is implied or obvious enough in it. In other words, omission means omission of some words that are found in the original but need not necessarily be retained in the version, or omission of some words that are needed in the original but found superfluous if they are kept in the version.
1. Burning or combustion is the process of uniting a fuel or combustible with the oxygen in the air.
2. The medfly (Mediterranean fruit fly) is one of the world's most dangerous pests, being a threat to 400 types of vegetables and fruits.
地中海果蝇是世界上最危险的害虫之一，对400多种蔬菜、水果构成威胁。3. Neither party shall cancel the contract without sufficient cause or reason.
4. Although in some cases no religious inauguration rites were performed, the sacred nature of the relationship was fully implied in the term jiebai xiongdi or jiebai zimei, meaning sworn brothers or sisters, for the members contracted a bond with each other with the sanctification of the deities.
5. Their respective destinies are becoming increasingly interdependent.
6. He had held out his arms, but they had fallen again to his sides; for she had not come forward, standing still in the opening of the doorway.
7. So Mr. Osborne, having a firm conviction in his own mind that he was a
woman-killer and destined to conquer…
8.I felt a trifle shy at the thought of presenting myself to a total stranger with the announcement that I was going to sleep under his roof, eat his food and drink his whisky, till another boat came in to take me to the port for which I was bound.
9. She curtseyed again, and would have blushed deeper, if she could have blushed deeper than she had blushed all the time.
10. Is the president of the United States a Republican?
The latest monthly figures show a growing surplus in China's overseas trade.
The fox may grow gray, but never good.
但值得注意的是，如果英语不定冠词表达“一”这个意思，则不能省略。Rome wasn't built in a day.
I have two brothers and a sister.
You'd better put on your sweater, for it's rather cold outside.
One more step and you are a dead man.
The camera work is perfect and the cast is good.
Modesty helps one to go forward, whereas conceit makes one lag behind.
英语各类状语从句都必须由从属连词引导，汉语各类状语分句则不一定，所以，英语状语从句翻译为汉语时，其从属连词通常省略。此外，汉语的关联词往往成对出现，如“因为……所以”，“虽然……但是”，译成英语时要省略其中一个。If winter comes, can spring be far behind?
If I had known this beforehand, I would not have gone back.
While there is life, there is hope.
When a girl leaves her home at eighteen, she does one of two things.
I stepped aside so that he could go in.
I left this city on the afternoon of July the 6th.
On the early morning of the 10th, there was a big fire here.
These are our chief tasks at the present stage.
“In that case, sir, Adele ought to go to school; I am sure you will perceive the necessity of it.”
He was born in a small town in southern Germany.
The post office is at the fourth intersection from here.
Rumors had already spread along the streets and lanes.
She hid behind the door.
In the excessive competition among enterprises, the losers can hardly be eliminated, and the allocation of the resources can hardly be optimized.
Our institute employed an English teacher. He looked very strange –– red-faced, golden-haired, with a thick growth of whiskers that reached all the way to the nose.
Laura wished now that she was not holding that piece of bread-and-butter, but there was nowhere to put it and she couldn…t possibly throw it away.
The more he tried to hide his warts, the more he revealed them.
If you have read these stories, tell them in your own words
Ice is a solid. If we heat it, it melts and becomes water.
If you study English very hard and practise it constantly, you will be able to use it freely.
He put his hands into his pockets and then shrugged his shoulders.
One guy goes to a doctor and says, “Doctor, my wife has recently lost her voice. What should I do to help her get it back?” The doctor replies, “Try to come home at 3 in the morning!”
15. 省略作形式主语或形式宾语的it, 非人称it和强调句中的it
It is quite possible that there is life out there in the universe.
Arabs consider it bad manners to start talking business immediately.
We think it a pity that a man like him should not work harder.
It was raining cats and dogs outside.
It is only when we cannot see perfectly that we realize how important our eyes are.
He said that the release of the men gave the green light to terrorism.
We demanded a guarantee that no similar incident would occur again.
The plan gives the government a useful tool with which to allocate resources optimally.
There was a hooker who met an old man, and said,“Give me twenty dollars. I?ll do anything you want.” “Okay,” he said, taking out a twenty-dollar bill. “Paint my house”.
They heard the muffled booming of artillery from afar.
The squeaking of the radio was disturbing everybody.