Answer: Young people sometimes complain of being unable to communicate with their parents.
2. 能在中国云南的一个苗家村落住下来一直是玛丽长久以来的梦想，现在她终于梦想成真了。(to take up residence) Answer: It has been Mary’s long cherished dream to take up residence in a Miao village in Yunnan, China. Now her dream has finally come true.
3. 家养的动物习惯于依赖人，因此很难能在野外活下来。(survive) Answer: Domestic animals are used to depending on humans, so it is difficult for them to survive in the wild.
Answer: He was suddenly overtaken by a fear that he would be laid off by the company because of depression.
5. 我估计公交路线上堵车了，因为我都等了30分钟也没见一辆车开过去。(figure) Answer: I figure that there is a traffic jam on the route of the bus, for I’ve waited for 30 minutes without seeing one passing by.
1.十年前，当公司还处在生产的鼎盛时期时，我们就决定投资新技术，将公司转型为技术密集型企业。由于拥有先进技术，我们在激烈动荡的市场竞争中脱颖而出。现在我们的成本下降了百分之三十，销售业绩却上涨了三分之二，利润翻了一番。Answer: Ten years ago, when our company was at the height of its production, we decided to invest in new technologies, so as to turn our company into a technology-intensive one. With our advanced technologies, we out-competed all our competitors in the rough and tumble of the marketplace. Now we have reduced the cost by 30 percent, even as / while our sales have grown by two-thirds and the earnings have doubled.
2. 我们将可持续性定义为保持企业盈利，但不以环境为代价。从商业的角度看，这合理吗？事实上，在追求可持续发展目标的过程中，我们的收益已经超过了所有的投资和开支。可持续发展的推进起到了如此重要的作用，帮助我们撑过了史上最深重的经济衰退。Answer: We define sustainability as keeping a business profitable, but not at the expense of the environment. Does this make good business sense? Actually, what we get has more than offset all the investments and expenses incurred in pursuit of the goal of sustainable development. The boost of sustainability made such a difference that it helped us survive the deepest recession in the history. Unit 2
Answer: Reporters pressed the spokesman for an explanation of the military attack.
2. 他的竞选演讲未能使选民相信他就是参议员的合适人选。(convince) Answer: His election speech failed to convince the voters that he was the right person for the Senate seat.
Answer: While I admit that there are problems, I don’t agree that they cannot be solved.
Answer: His first debate on TV made a deep impression on his audience.
5. 一切事物都是互相联系又互相作用的。(interact with)
Answer: All things are interrelated and interact with each other.
1.这位年轻的埃及男孩在一些化学项目中积累了丰富的经验。这些经验帮助他在埃及大学读书时成绩名列班级前茅。在研究生学习即将结束时，他决定在化学学习方面继续深造。当面临选择去哪所大学时，他选择了宾夕法尼亚大学而放弃了加州理工学院，仅仅只是因为他当时认为“大学”比“学院”听起来更负盛名。Answer: This young Egyptian boy had received a
wealth of experience in some chemistry projects. Such experience helped him to sail to the top of his class at college in Egypt. When he was about to finish his postgraduate study, he decided to further his chemistry education. When confronted with choosing which university to go to, he chose University of Pennsylvania over California Institute of Technology (Caltech) just because he thought “university” sounded more prestigious than “institute”.
2. 瑞典皇家科学院授予他第28届诺贝尔医学奖，以褒奖他为战胜癌症所做的开创性工作。实际上，他已经做了整整20年的研究才取得了这一了不起的突破，他也是他所在大学第一位获得诺贝尔奖殊荣的教师。如今已将诺贝尔奖收入囊中的他更加坚定地声言，将以前所未有的更大动力去继续开拓人类攻克癌症的事业。Answer: The Royal Swedish Academy awarded him with the 28th Nobel Prize in Medicine for his groundbreaking work in fighting against cancer. It turns out that he had spent 20 years on his research before he made this wonderful breakthrough, and he is the first faculty member of his university to receive the Nobel Prize. Now with Nobel Prize under his belt, he claimed that he had never been so much more motivated to continue to push the envelope of what human beings can possibly do about cancer. Unit 3
1.思想是通过语言来表达的。(by means of)
Answer: Thoughts are expressed by means of language.
2. 我今年买的新书多得难以数清。(keep count of) Answer: I have bought so many new books this year that it’s really difficult for me to keep count of them.
3. 这位老太太确信，今天她儿子会回家来为她庆祝生日。(feel assured) Answer: The old lady feels assured that her son will come back home today to celebrate her birthday.
Answer: His mother insisted that his pocket money should not exceed 100 yuan per month.
Answer: We bought a car last month, which was registered under my name.
的利基市场（定位市场）上，期望他们年长以后还会钟爱海尔品牌。目前，海尔在美国的家用电器年销售额已达2亿美元，并占有美国小型冰箱市场35％以上的市场份额。这对美国的家电生产商形成了挑战。Answer: Haier is seeking to outflank its competitors by competing on image rather than on price in overseas markets. It has been focusing most of its attention on niche markets, such as students, in the hope that they will remain loyal as they get older. Currently, Haier sells $200 million worth of household appliances in the US annually and claims more than a 35% share of the US market for the minibars, which constitutes a challenge for the American household appliance makers.
2. 2. 作为一个全球品牌，海尔致力于通过创新来满足消费者的需求，为消费者提供更多的
明智的选择，让他们可以享受时尚的、负担得起的并且是可持续的生活方式。海尔秉承着一个信念，那就是为消费者设计和制造经久耐用、无后顾之忧的产品是一个负责任的企业应承担的使命。Answer: As a global brand, Haier is dedicated to meeting customer needs through innovation. It is committed to giving customers more sensible options that enable them to enjoy a modern, affordable and sustainable lifestyle. It holds a belief that to design and produce durable and worry-free products for the customers is a mission that a responsible corporation should undertake. Unit 4
3. 1.这支乐队20世纪80年代凭借那张专集一举成名。(shoot to fame)
4.Answer: The band shot to fame in the 1980s with that single album.
5. 2. 冒一下险吧，你可能还是会输，但赢的机会却增加了。(take a risk)
6.Answer: Take a risk, and you may lose again, but you would have improved your chances to
7. 3. 科学家正极力研究治愈艾滋病(AIDS) 的良方。(push ... to the limits) Answer: Scientists
are pushing themselves to the limits in their research for finding a cure for AIDS.
8. 4. 现在我们知道了网络的意义：鼠标一点就能知晓天下大事。(point) Answer: Now we see
the point of the Internet: we can get information from all over the world just by clicking the mouse.
9. 5. 一些人认为政府迟早会将克隆人类的研究纳入规范。(regulate; sooner or later) Answer:
Some people believe the government will regulate the research of human cloning sooner or later.
父母禁止我用电脑，敦促我做功课。“做个好学生，想想你的当务之急。”他们的话给了我当头一棒，在我脑中回响。我开始看书学习，终于考上了大学。Answer: At that time,
I immersed myself too much in the virtual world of computer games. I spent practically every
minute at my computer. Then my parents banned my computer access and pushed me toward my school work. “Be a decent student and think about your priorities.” Their words hit me like a brick, and rang inside of me. I began to work on my books and finally worked my way to college.
法建立了这家工厂，聘请了几位顶级科学家，开始了一模一样的项目。他们这个项目至今已经进行了两年，两个月前就该结束，但实际上却没有取得任何成果。如果没有实质性的进展，这家工厂很快就会被出售。Answer: His story shows little resemblance to the facts. As a matter of fact, an anonymous billionaire managed to set up the factory, hired some top scientists, and went ahead with an identical project right after the collapse of the company. Now they’ve been working on it for two years. They should have finished it two month ago. However, practically nothing has been achieved. If no improvement is made for real, soon the factory would be put up for sale. Unit 5
1. 知道原理是一回事，但要付诸实践又是另外一回事。(it’s one thing ... it’s
Answer:It’s one thing to understand the principle, it’s another thing to put it into practice.
2. 据报道，慢跑(jogging) 可将患心脏病的可能性减少三分之二。(less likely)
Answer:It is reported that jogging makes you three times less likely to suffer from a heart attack.
3. 根据最新调查，半数英国人不清楚欧元与英镑的比值。(have no idea / in relation to)
Answer:Almost half of the British people have no idea what the euro is worth in relation to the pound, according to the latest survey.
have done Answer:The area should have been made into a park for everyone to enjoy but now some apartment buildings stand there.
5. 不知道所有这些相关信息能否凑成一幅关于他的清晰图画。(add up to)
Answer:I’m wondering whether all the related information could add up to a clear picture of him.
接受教育的过程，而不要急于去挣钱。他们应该知道，校园生活是在为他们走出校园去追求成功作准备。Answer:College life is extraordinarily pleasant. Young people on campus are all gung ho to acquire knowledge. They are with no responsibility to anything but their studies. They should have patience with the process of being educated, but not be anxious to make a buck. They should understand that college life is to prepare them to get out and get success at life.
Answer:In a world of constant innovation, a degree can’t guarantee you a successful career. So it’s common practice for people to commit themselves to learning. They develop positive attitudes toward lifelong learning. Some of them go back to school where they can make use of learning resources. Some change jobs to acquire more work experience. Even after retiring, they will still invest time in learning. Unit 6
1.他悲叹一声，对我们说他年轻时也曾风光一时。(breathe a sigh of; have seen a better day) Answer:He breathed a sigh of sorrow and told us that he had seen a better day when he was young.
2.他有极强的责任感，这就是为什么他被选中掌管这个项目。(take control of) Answer:He has a strong sense of responsibility, and that’s why he is chosen to take control of the project.
3.不管你去哪里，不管是出差还是去玩，尽量多了解那个地方总是一个不错的主意。(be it ... or ...) Answer:Wherever you go, be it for business or pleasure, it is always a good idea to find out as
much as you can about the place.
4.我们得小心一点，同样的情景可能就要出现。(be about; repeat)
Answer:Let’s be careful. The situation may be about to repeat itself.
5.事实上，室内空气质量与儿童的健康密切相关，当然与成人的健康也有关系。(for that matter)
Answer:In fact, the air quality of a house has a great deal to do with children’s health, and adults’ health for that matter.
1.当我还是一个小女孩的时候，我就被中国的语言文字和历史所深深吸引，有朝一日能去中国游览一直是我的梦想。多亏了中国的改革开放政策，欢迎外国游客来到这个具有5000年历史的神秘国度。当我终于梦想成真来到了中国，我注意到的第一件事，就是这里人们的穿着主要是灰、蓝两种颜色的服装，这让我感到十分好奇。为了能触摸到中国文化的精髓，我决定在中国多待一段时间。结果，我对中国的第一次造访竟长达三年之久。Answer:When I was a little girl, I was so absorbed by Chinese language and history that it had always been my dream to visit China someday. Thanks to China’s opening-up and reform policy, foreign tourists are welcomed to this mysterious land of 5 000 years history. When my dream finally came true, the first thing I noticed was that people mainly wore clothes in either grey or blue, which I found intriguing. In order to reach the heart and soul of the Chinese culture, I decided to stay a bit longer. It turned out that my first
visit to China lasted for as long as three years.
2. 巴黎迪士尼乐园是巴黎的主要旅游景点之一，距离巴黎市中心约32公里。巴黎迪士尼由欧洲迪士尼公司运营，它是在美国本土以外开办的第二个迪士尼主题公园，以其开放式及家庭游乐式而闻名。难怪巴黎迪士尼乐园是世界上游览人数最多的主题公园之一。Answer:Disneyland Paris is one of the major tourist attractions in Paris, which is located about 32 km far from the center of Paris. Disneyland Paris is operated by the Euro Disney and it is the second Disney theme park that was opened outside the United States of America. It is well-known for its open and family-friendly manner. No wonder the famous Disneyland Paris is one of the most visited theme parks of the world. Unit 7
I can think; if ... only) Answer:A lot of people believe that these pills help them sleep. All I can think is, “if they only knew.”
2. 他一直在琢磨这个问题，直到把它完全解决为止。(chip away at)
Answer:He kept chipping away at the problem until he had completely solved it.
3. 这位乡下孩子接触到了城里种种陌生的事物。他感到十分惊讶，仿佛自己进入了未来世界一般。(be exposed to; as if)
Answer:The country boy was exposed to many strange things in the city. He felt greatly shocked as if he had entered a future world.
4. 大学毕业才一年，他就从一个追求梦想的青年变成了一个凡事都无所谓的庸人。(go from ... to ...; pursue) Answer:Within only one year of graduating from college, he went from a student who pursued his dream to a person who didn’t care about a thing.
5. 我已经获准进入那个地区进行采访，这可不是人人都能得到的机会。(be given permission)
Answer:I have been given permission to do the interview in that area, and that’s not something that everyone gets.
1. 我所有的同事从昨天清晨起就一直在忙活，然而今晚我们仍然谁也别想睡觉。我们今天将有重大行动，对恐怖分子发起联合攻击。我们能成功实施搜捕吗？我们将按计划分成小组，组成行动队和后援队，并各自前往指定地点。我希望这次打击行动能够进展顺利，不出变故，将所有嫌犯逮捕归案。Answer:All my colleagues had been up since the morning before, but none of us would sleep tonight either. We have a big day ahead of us launching a coordinate attack on terrorists. Could we pull off a successful bust? As is planned, we are to organize ourselves into groups, forming action teams and back-up crews, each reporting to our designated sites. I hope the attack could proceed without incident, and all the suspects would be arrested.
2. 他仍然记得公司濒临倒闭时的情景。政府颁布法令，禁止他们使用落后技术，工厂被迫关闭。幸运的是他们得到了银行的贷款。有了贷款就有了新技术、新设备以及新产品。新产品被证明非常成功，成了当地家用的标准配置。后来，他们又勇闯海外市场，和欧盟的进口商取得了直接联系。Answer:He still remembers the time when the company was on the edge of collapse. The government issued a ban on the out-dated technology they were using, and the factory had to be closed. Fortunately they got a loan from the bank. With the loan came new technology, new equipment, and new product. The new product had proven to be so successful that it had become standard issue for every house in the area. Afterwards, they even ventured out to the oversea market and managed to have direct connections with the importers from the European Union.