1．Gases such as carbon monoxide emitted by factories and automobiles have seriousl y polluted the atmosphere.
2．The industrial engineer’s letter indicates that he doubts the feasibility of the plan. 那为工业管理工程师来的信表明，他对改项计划是否可行有怀疑
3．Many parents in the United States set aside a fund for their children’s education be fore they are born.
4．I have made sure that her conclusion is based on facts.
5．The medical team composed of three doctors and two nurses set off for the mount ain(ous) area a few days ago.
6．The village is named after the high mountain that stands in front of it.
7．He was ill for about a week which has really set him back in his studies.
8．The war that broke out between the North and the South in 1861 is known in his tory as the American Civil War.
1．Their argument ended when she slammed the door and left without a word.
2．The guest at the dinner party were slightly surprised at the commanding tone of t he American.
3．Johnny has outgrown the fear of staying at home alone.
4．While all the other passengers made for the exit he alone remained in his seat as if unwilling to leave the plane.
5．The letter is to be handed to Dr. Wilson himself.
6．While she felt like joining in the argument Nancy was too shy to open her mouth. 南希虽然很想参加辩论，但腼腆得不敢开口
7．What do you think is the likeliest time to find him at home?
8．The hunter’s face (was) lit up with excitement as s oon as he saw a fox emerge fr om among the bushes and run in the direction of/ make for the trap he had laid.
1．It was suggested at the meeting that a committee of 11 be appointed to make a new constitution.
2．By making on-the-spot observation the young scientist obtained first-hand informat ion they needed in their research work.
3．It is very likely that he will be rejected by the army because of his bad eyesight. 他很可能会因视力不好而被拒收入伍
4．The committee members have conflicting opinions as to the best location of the ne w airport.
5. Henry’s works of art are superior in many respects to those of his brother’s.
6. The steady rise in the quality of our products owes much to the improvement of o ur equipment.
7. Jim would have preferred to act on his own judgment but he didn’t because as a s oldier he had to obey the order.
8. Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a city without bikes or one without cars. I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.
1. She got a post as a cashier at a local bank. But she was soon fired because she pr oved to be incompetent.
2. It is obviously/clearly his young assistant who is running the book store.
3. No sooner had the proposal been announced at the meeting than she got to her fe et to protest.
4. Bill has applied to Harvard University for a teaching assistantship but his chances o
g it are slim.
5. Being short of funds they are trying to attract foreign capital.
6. The room smells of stale air. It must have been vacant for a long time.
7. As far as hobbies are concerned Jane and her sister have little in common.
8. It is self-evident that the education of the young is vital to the future of a country.
1. The little girl ran so fast that she was thrown off balance and fell over/down.
2. I was impressed by his devotion to his research but I did not have the slightest in terest in his profound theories.
3. Be sure not to say anything capable of being misunderstood.
4. I was so bewildered by their conflicting advice that I did not know how to act.
5. At first this complicated problem frustrated them but after thinking it over carefully they finally worked out a solution.
6．The head of the sports delegation beamed with delight when a young pioneer pres ented him with a bunch of flowers.
7．I really don’t see why our English teacher should single out our monitor for praise since we have all done quite well this term.
8．I believe in the theory that the higher animals developed from the lower ones.
1. If / As long as you keep on trying you will be able to resolve this difficult problem sooner or later. 只要你不断努力，你迟早会解决这个难题的。
2. We anticipate encountering / that we will encounter resistance to our plan / our pl an will meet with resistance. 我们预料我们的计划会受到抵制。
3. Jim’s friends said that the noise pollution in their city was terrible but they had to live with it.
4. At first Tom thought that with his knowledge skill and experience he was bound to find a satisfactory job. 汤姆起初认为，凭他的知识、技术和经验，一定能够找到一份称心如意的工作。
5. It would be wise (advisable) to handle this delicate problem with calmness and pat ience.
6. Dick thought that if he was not able to take the machine apart chances were that no other worker in the plant could either.
7. Do you thi nk bus drivers should take full responsibility for the passenger’s safety. 你是否认为公共汽车司机应对乘客的安全负完全的责任？
8. You need not dwell on your mistakes in judgment any more. What’s important is to try your best to avoid repeating them.
1. The local people’s response to the new security measures was enthusiastic.
2. What good will it do to argue with him if he takes a negative attitude toward the whole thing?
3. Just before he was released from jail. Vingo wrote a letter to his wife asking she would have him back.
4. The criminal was given a stiff sentence of fifteen years.
5. The doctor told Mrs. Nolen that her decision to move to the countryside was an int elligent one and probably had helped to a certain degree to bring back her health.
6. His room was small but quite cozy with a fireplace a soft chair and a sofa. He see med contented with it.
7. The policeman asked the driver to describe the accident in a greater detail.
8. Peter is not good at maths but when it comes to sports he is the best in the class.
1. Vast amounts of investment have enabled the economy of the area to grow rapidly.
2. They launched a campaign to raise money for a new hospital.
3. It is true that success lies in diligence.
4. Men of high moral standards they are never to be tempted to take such expensive gifts.
5. There are indications that numerous factories are faced with a very difficult situatio n.
6. The police arrested the criminal on a charge of armed robbery several hours after t hey found an important clue to his identity.
7. Investigation has revealed that retirement tends to cause psychological troubles for some people.
8. The medical team did more than complain about the relatively poor working conditi ons at the local hospital. For instance several doctors bought simple medical instrume nts with their own money.
1.Everything indicates that something has gone wrong with his plan.
2.The author thinks that we should not take it for granted that those who score high on intelligence tests will certainly do well in practical work.
3.I singled out a few English idioms to test my classmates
4.Three professors were invited to design the curriculum for new teachers assess.
5.This is but just a small loss to us. Don't make a fuss over it.
6.He scored far more than any of his opponents which proved him a worthy winner. 他比任何对手的得分都高很多证明他不愧为一个胜利者.
7.The two animals are alike in appearance but they belong to different species.
8. I don't know for sure whether the bank will grant him the loan he has applied for.
1.Through the article the author wants to convey to the readers his opinion on praise and criticism.
2.Of the dozen of waitresses in the restaurant only three have had any previous exper ience.
3. Though he isn't much of a scholar the teacher does know how to teach a course in
a lively and interesting manner.
这位教师可能不是一个了不起的学者，但他的确懂得怎样把一门课教得活泼而有趣。(in a ... manner) 4.We often find that to apply a rule is much more difficult than to know it.
5.She never scolds her children for squabbling. Instead she gives them a few words o
f praise when they play quietly.
6.Mr. Green was always critical of his daughter's writings but somehow he commented favorably on that poorly written poem of hers.
7.Quite a few students in our class were publicly criticized by the teacher for failing t o hand in their compositions on time.
8.A good teacher should be very alert to his students' progress. If their progress is ig nored the students will feel discouraged.