1. We have a problem with the computer system, but I think it is fairly minor.
2. My father died when I was too young to live on my own. The people of my hometown took over responsibility for my upbringing at that point.
3. The toys have to meet strict/tough safety requirements before they can be sold to children.
4. Radio and television have supplemented rather than replaced the newspaper as carriers of news and opinion.
5. When it comes to this magazine, it is/carries a digest of articles from many newspapers and magazines around the world.
1.Though greatly affected by the consequences of the global financial crisis, we are still confident that we can face up to the challenge and overcome the crisis.
2. Under threat of constant sand storms, we were compelled to leave our cherished village and move to the new settlement
3.According to a recent online survey, a lot of consumers say they may be motivated to consider buying products shown in TV commercials.
4.Having spotted a truck driver dumping contaminated waste alongside the river, the old man reported to the police at once.
5.Some scientists hold to the firm conviction that people will come to like genetically modified crops someday since they can increase yields and help combat hunger and disease in the developing world.
1). The Internet is changing the way people live, no matter whether they are in urban or rural areas.
2). Medium-sized and small companies are more vulnerable to the threat of the global economic crisis than large ones.
3). With regard to our term papers, the professor asked us to analyze the chart of unemployment first, and then provide critical reflections on the nation’s economic development.
4). It never occurred to him that their team would win the basketball match by a large margin.
5). Looking back on my twenty years’ teaching in high school, I attributed my success to patience, talent, and the constant pursuit of knowledge.
1. The volunteers sent by the Red Cross disinfected, with great caution, the drinking water in the village so as to avoid an outbreak of plague
2. Einstein spent many years trying to unify the theories of electromagnetism and gravity but failed.
爱因斯坦用了多年时间试图把电磁学理论和引力理论结合起来，但没有成功。3. Professor Wang received / won the Presidential Award fro his excellence in stimulating students’ creative imagination.
4. As there were some major design flaws, the board of directors didn’t approve of the economic stimulus package.
5. Having realized that nobody could help him, Jordan finally came to the conclusion that he had to face reality and meet the challenge by himself.
乔丹意识到没人能给他帮助，终于得出结论他必须面对现实，独自接受挑战。1). Grandma took it for granted that food prices would soar, so she bought a lot of rice.
2). I can quote you several instances of her dedication to science
3). The 1980s saw the start of the swift development of some special economic zones in China.
4). Tension between the two countries stemmed in part from the latest spy affair.
5). Peter has worked in a law firm for many years. You can consider having him as your lawyer to act on your behalf when you need legal help.
1). The red house stands out against the old trees that reach high up to the sky.
2).The salary in/for my new job is great, but for the rest, I’m not satisfied.
3).The waters of the two streams mingle near our village.
4). We should not mock at other people’s religious beliefs.
5). The curtains of the room are not quite in tune with the style of the furniture.
I). I grew terribly scared when I heard sound of footsteps echoing round the hallway at midnight yesterday.
2). The name-brand sports shoes are guaranteed for 12 months.
3). Snowstorms threw communications and transportation into disorder.
4). I’ve been suffering a lot of stress from work lately, I feel like taking a vacation at the seaside.
5). Living in an apartment is all right, but it has its limitations --- for example, you don’t have your own gardens.