3. campus, protests, establishment, prospects, employment, launch, opportunity
4. clashes, alliance (formed an alliance), liberal (as a liberal), governor, economy, characterized (were characterized by), liberating(a liberating experience)
5. gave rise to, keep...off, was brought about, dropping out/to drop out, set up, was brought to its knees
6. b a b b b, b a a b
Unit1-language in use
1. government, Postmodernism, development, individualism, agreement, investment, romanticism, post-war
2. Starting out at college means meeting lots of interesting people.
Going to bed too late means not being able to concentrate the next day.
Doing a course in Literary Theory means spending a lot of time on difficult subjects.
Being interested in literature means having an open mind about other ways of life.
Going to college today means spending a lot of time thinking about what you will do afterwards.
3. peaceful protests, caused...frustration, critical/ decisive/ important/ key/ major factor, golden/ unique opportunity, close/powerful alliance, complete/total destruction,
5. Volunteering has now become the norm for college students in China. The volunteers may provide community services for senior citizens, support students in mountain areas in education, organize fund-raising activities to help those in need, or work for major international projects such as the World Expo and the Olympic Games. Doing volunteer work is a useful way for students to enhance their professional skills and social experience as well as promoting their moral development. The majority of college students believe that it is their duty and obligation to participate in volunteer activities. They hope that they can do something meaningful and promote the development of social harmony.
Active reading 2
1. Sympathy, empathy, Sympathy, empathy, Sympathy, Sympathy/empathy
4. distract, Sensitivity, evokes, retrieve, confused, sympathetic, trace, disciplined
5. stroke, crawl, imitate, pat, patted, imitating, crawl, stroking
6. a a a b a, b a b b
7. 1, 3, 5, 7
Language in use
1. acceptance, endurance, vacancies, performance, tolerance, hesitance, assistance, pregnancy, reassurance
2. You misunderstand it.
You have misplaced it.
You have made a misjudgment.
You have been misinformed about it.
3. considerable/great/total/widespread/general confusion, add to...confusion, angry response, evoked responses, distinct advantage, direct/ immediate/ positive/ quick response, distinct impression, adds to...confusion
4. 目前这种形式的“抱抱团”运动是澳大利亚人胡安·曼恩发起的。2004 年6 月，他开始在悉尼市中心的皮特街购物中心给人送去拥抱。胡安要做的是伸出胳膊拥抱陌生人，点亮他们的人生。胡安以前住在伦敦，后来他的生活变得一团糟，不得不回家。等他乘飞机回到悉尼，他只剩下一个塞满衣服的手提行李包和一大堆的麻烦。于是，他找到一块硬纸板和一只马克笔，做了一个指示牌，在牌子的两面写上“免费拥抱” 。他等了15 分钟才有一个老太太走上前来，给了他一个拥抱。他的朋友，“病小狗”乐队的主唱希蒙·摩尔，给胡安和他的“抱抱团”成员拍了一段录像，使得“抱抱团”运动在全世界有了更大的知名度。如今，“抱抱团”运动日渐流行，它使我们生活的这个世界更加温暖。
5. Be not pleased by external gains, nor saddened by personal losses is a statement from the essa y “Remarks of Yueyang Tower” by Fan Zhongyan, a writer of the Northern Song Dynasty. The statement means one should look at and accept things as they are, and remain unbothered by external matters or personal gains or losses. It is a mental outlook that reflects the traditional Taoist ideas of China, instructing people to become calm and detached. Even today, when we have a highly developed material civilization, keeping such a state of mind is still important. When you possess such a state of mind, you will be able to live a brighter and more joyous life.
active reading 2
4. exhausted, roar, ensured, boost, strain, fatigue, composed
5. leading up to, shut out, keep up with, counting/to count down, missed out, set off, fight
6. a a b b b m a a a b
1. A c b d
2. B a a a a, a b b
4. There are three reasons why table tennis is called China’s national game. First, up to
now China has won more than 200 world titles in table tennis, which has earned great honour for the country. Second, table tennis is widely enjoyed by the general public, and is one of the most popular amateur recreational sports in China. Finally, table tennis helps promote China’s friendly exchanges with foreign countries. The friendly table tennis match between China and the US, which took place in Beijing in 1971, is an event known to history as “ping-pong diplomacy”, and helped resume Sino-US diplomatic relations. Today, while developing its own table tennis, China also has top table-tennis players playing the game in other countries. This plays a positive role in promoting the global development of the game of table tennis.
3. c d a b c
4. precaution, fraud, trash, cancel, deceived, Household
5. log off, commonplace, forge, anonymous, fictional
6. b b a a a, a a
3. b a b b b a
4. b b a b a, b b a b b
6. In the middle and late 20th century, the rapid development of science and technology
witnessed the birth of high technology, represented by the Internet. But at the same time various high-tech crimes, as represented by cybercrime, also arose, posing/constituting a potential threat to the healthy development of society. How to prevent and reduce
high-tech crimes has become a common concern. China is facing a similar situation. To avoid or reduce losses caused by high-tech crimes, we should keep alert in our daily lives, so as not to be deceived.
3. c a d b c
4. fulfilled, leisure, inherent, interaction, virtual, peculiar, insult
5. span, addicted, chill, evolved; evolving, extensive, fashionable, involves
6. b a b a
Language in use
1. The more hobbies you have, the less likely you are to worry.
The longer you work, the more you earn.
The more people work, the less free time they have.
The more leisure inactivities have developed, the less chance you have of becoming interested.
The more time you spend in front of the computer screen, the less interest you have in the outside world.
The less effort you make, the better a couch potato you will be.
2. Wiston Churchill was a British Minister and a Nobel Price winner. He was more famous for the former.
There are people who keep work separate from their pleasure, and people whose work is their pleasure. The latter are less common.
Cricket and football give you the impression of doing something useful. The former is more peculiar as a sport.
You need somewhere comfortable to sit and the remote control. The latter is more important.
The couch potato and the mouse potato enjoy leisure inactivity. The latter has less interest in the outside world.
Mouse potatoes travel the world online or participate in chat rooms. The former are more adventurous.
3. inherent danger, enforce...policy, poses...threat, fulfill...role, rational analysis
5. Since 2008, with the implementation/enforcement of the free admission policy, Chinese museums have had / held more than 20,000 exhibitions, which have attracted over 600 million visitors each year. Museums are not only places to display collections, but also sites with educational, entertainment and recreational functions. For Chinese people, visiting museums has become an important means of enjoying their leisure time. On weekends and holidays, parents take their children to various kinds of museums. While visiting a place, apart from eating amazing local food and enjoying beautiful scenery, tourists may also visit local museums to learn more about its history and culture.
3. having fun, social skills, harder, in universities, do public service, in the outside world, help other people
4. numerous, catering; option, dreaded, Employers; their personalities, shortage, entertained
5. reveal, extrovert, conviction, cooperative, solution, community
6. a a b a b, a b b a
7. f g e a c b d
Language in use
1. hard-earned, old-fashioned, well-timed, widely-held, open-minded, well-known,
2. 1 4 5 7
3. On Monday I went to Oxford, and on Tuesday to Milton Keynes.
Some of the volunteers were interested in medicine, and others in IT.
The first activity depended on physical strength, and the second on reason.
After the accident he was examined by a doctor, and a few days later by a
Some people were advised to wear glasses, and others to use contact lenses.
At the beginning we were worried about making friends, and at the end about making ends meet.
My initial choice of university was based on the range of courses available, and my final decision purely on costs
5. Basic skills, chosen career, low-paid jobs, Tough competition, heavy demands,
7. With the increasingly fierce competition in the job market, Chinese college students
are attaching more and more importance to internships. Every year, a lot of senior students take part in internships(,) which may help them find out /check/ decide/
determine/ examine whether they have made the right choice of career and have a clear idea of what they are going to do in their target job and what the job demands; it also helps students learn skills and cultivate their abilities. Taking internships is an effective way to secure a good job. In recruiting new staff, companies tend to prefer applicants with relevant internship experience. Some companies will give preference/ priority to those who have done an internship in their companies.