VI. Translate the following into English.
A heated discussion sprang up between a young girl and a professor.
I haven’t track down the survey report on the market.
He is stared straight ahead, his muscles contracting slightly.
It is likely that he will be rejected by the army because of his bad eyesight.
The steady rise in the quality of our products owes much to the improvement of our equipment.
He thinks that a free man obtains knowledge from many sources besides books. 7．玛丽本想按照自己的判断行事，但他们没有这样做。
Mary would have preferred to act on her own judgment, but she didn’t.
The argument ended when he slammed the door shut without uttering a sound. 9．我在当地报纸上看到一份广告，有所学校招聘一名教师。
I saw advertised in a local newspaper a teaching post at a school.
He looked at me with an air of surprised disapproval
Being short of money, they are trying to attract foreign capital.
The country school consisted on e class of twenty-four boys, ranging in age from seven to thirteen.
Tom and his brother have little in common except their interest in cricket.
The customs officer had all the packaged unpacked, but found nothing suspicious in them.
It is obviously his young assistant who is running the bookstore.
Jim’s grandfather believes that fresh air and some exercises are more valuable than medicine.
I was deeply impressed by his devotion to research.
办法。As first, this complicated problem frustrated them, but after thinking it over carefully they finally worked out a solution.
I was bewildered by their conflicting opinions , I did not know what to do .
The doctor advised Mike to stay in hospital until he was fully recovered.
VI I. Translate the following into Chinese
1..Women have outgrown the jumping-on-a-chair-at-the-sight-of-a-mouse era.
2. His first impulse is to jump back and warn the others of t he dangerous cobra in the room.他首先想到的是往后一跳，并向其他人发出警告’房间里有蛇“。
3. Out of the corner of his eyes, he sees the wolf make for the chicken in the yard.
4. The police were determined to track down the criminal where he might be hiding. 警察下决心一定要找到犯罪分子藏在哪里。
5. The gunshot rang out from behind the building
6. Rosa received a gift from Simon yesterday, but did not accept it.
7. It was in 1942 that Columbus discovered America.哥伦布在1492年发现了美洲。
8. Manufacturing companies spend millions of pounds trying to convince customers that their products are superior to those of other companies.为了使顾客相信他们的产品优于其他公司的产品，公司花费了几百万英镑。
9. I applied for a job as a computer programmer in a local company, but I was rejected. 我到当地一家公司申请计算机程序员的工作，但是遭到了拒绝。
10. A man of humble origin, Lincoln eventually became President of the United States 尽管出身贫寒，林肯最终成为了美国总统。
11. Noticing my daughter was very shy, our hostess went out of her way to make her feel at home.注意到我的女儿非常害羞，女主人尽量使她不感到拘束。
12. While crossing the street, the old lady carrying a basket of eggs was run down by
13. Quite a number of students in our college have applied for the scholarship granted by the Ministry of Education.我们学院有很多学生申请了国家教委颁发的奖金。14. Though you will face many difficulties, your ultimate success is certain if you persist in working hard.尽管你会遇到许多困难，但只要持之以恒努力工作就必将取得取得最终的胜利。
15. The young man in the story didn’t like the prospect of working as an assistant under the woman manager.故事里的年轻男人不喜欢将来为女经理做助理工作。16. How one presents himself at an interview will often decide whether or not he will be given the job. 一个人在面试时的表现通常决定了他能否得到这份工作。
17. The pay for this job ranges from ten to fifteen dollars per hour.
18. To do his work he needed only a pen and a pad of paper, Material things meant nothing to him.他工作时，只需要一只笔和一沓纸。对他而言，物质的东西毫无意义。
19. What impressed him most was Einstein’s modest manner. Though a profound thinker, Einstein never displayed vanity, jealousy, or personal ambition.爱因斯坦给他留的最深印象是他很谦虚。尽管他是一个知识渊博的思想家，但从未流露出妒忌，虚荣及个人野心。
20. As a boy and then an adult, I never lost my wonder at the personality of Einstein. He was the only person I knew who had come to terms with himself and the world around him. 作为一个孩子直到长大成人，我一直对爱因斯坦的个性赞叹不已。但是我所认识的人中唯一能跟自己以及周围的世界达成妥协的人。
V. Translate the following Chinese sentences into English (15)
John took his share of supporting the family from an early ago.
If you agree to have this operation, chances are that you may recover.
No peeking at your presents before Christmas morning.
All but three of the members have paid their income taxes
The policy of the government is to encourage overseas investments.
The majority of doctors agree that smoking is extremely harmful to health.
There is almost nothing that he can not fix.
We think of the Great Wall as one of the wonders of the world.
We must save our forests, and even replant them.
As the food supply drops, starvation will be widespread.
The small quantity of carbon dioxide in the air is essential to life.
As the forests disappear, less carbon dioxide is being removed from the atmosphere by plants.
Armstead’s insides were turning over, she knew she couldn’t show her fear.
She told the young man that she didn’t want him dealing drugs in front of her. 15. 他们在学校里开办了一项放学后的校内活动，让孩子们不要到街上去。
They established on extended-day program at school to keep kids off the streets. VI. Translate the following English sentences into Chinese (15)
1. There is no surgical patient I can not treat competently.对人和外科病人的治疗，我都能胜任。
2. To err is human. 犯错乃是人性。
3. After all, most students have been faced with the temptation to peek at a neighbor’s test paper 毕竟大多数学生都曾受到过偷看邻座考卷的诱惑。
4. We must do more than talk. It’s time for action.我们必须少说多做，该行动的时候到了。
5. Honesty was seen as an important part of the American Character. 诚实似乎是美国人性格中的一个重要的组成部分。
6. Distrust can be contagious. But, so can trust. 不信任可以传染，但是信任亦然。
7. There is no goal that you cannot obtain so long as you have an honest attitude and a strong will. 只要你态度诚恳，意志坚强，就没有实现不了的目标。
8. You needn’t dwell on your errors of judgment any more. What’s important is to try your best to avoid repeating them. 你不必再去多想那些判断上的失误了，重要的是尽量避免再犯。，
9. Apparently, finding alternative energy sources is essential to the steady development of our economy.显然，找到替代能源对我们的经济的稳定发展是至关重要的
10. The burning of coal not only consumes the oxygen in the house but also gives out poisonous gases.烧煤的时候，不仅消耗房子里面的氧气，而且还散发出有毒的气体。
11. Because these creatures are small and tend to hide beneath leafy plants, they are not always visible to the naked eye. 因为这些生物很小并且常常躲在叶子茂密的植物下面，肉眼并不都可以看见。
12. This means that in the co ming decades, Earth’s average temperature will go up slightly. As a result, the polar ice caps will begin to melt. 这就意味着在未来的几十年中，地球的平均温度将有少许上升。极低冰盖因此将开始融化。
13. Waging a battle against the drug pushers was a challenge to Armstead. She felt rather nervous but she decided to confront them. 对阿姆斯特德来说，向毒贩展开斗争是一个挑战。虽然她感到紧张不安，但她决心勇敢地面对这些人。
14. The exhibition is very popular and is attracting a steady stream of visitors.
15. A health organization prompted the local government to raise a fund for a new hospital. 卫生组织促使地方政府为建造一所新的医院筹措资金。