Unit 1 stories
1. He was thirty-six，his youth had passed like a screaming eagle，leaving him old and disillusioned.
2. average height 普通高度
3. gleaming eyes 两眼闪着光辉
4. in his middle twenties 大概是二十五六岁的年龄
5. ignoring the chair offered him，Chu The stood squarely before this youth more than ten years his junior and in a level voice told him who he was，what he had done in the past，how he had fled from Yunnan，talked with Sun Yat-sen，been repulsed by Chen Tu-hsiu in Shanghai，and had come to Europe to find a new way of life for himself and a new revolutionary road for China.
6. When both visitors had told their stories，Chou smiled
a little，said he would help them find rooms，and arrange for them to join the Berlin Communist group as candidates until their application had been sent to China and an answer received.
7. Chinese Communist Party
9. Several times on his trips to China，which he made as a guest of the Chinese Government，Bill‘s birthday occurred while he was in Beijing.
10. ‘ This is for you，’ Bill Morrow heard on many occasions he would never forget——such as when he was taken a boat down the Grand Canal and every boat that passed sounded its siren in salutation. Or when he shown over the great Nanjing bridge，built where the ferries used to carry trains across the Changjiang River. He was given a chair and asked to wait a little
as darkness came on，then suddenly the whole bridge was outlined in lights.
11. The most important day I remember in all my life is the one on which my teacher，Anne Mansfield Sulliven，came to me. I am filled with wonder when I consider the immeasurable contrast between the two lives which it connects.
12. On the afternoon of that eventful day，I stood on the porch，dumb，expectant.
13. Have you been at sea in a dense fog，when it seemed as if a tangible white darkness shut you in ，and the great ship，tense and anxious，groped her way toward the shore with plummet and sounding-line and you waited with beating heart
for something to happen？I was like that ship before my education began，only I was without compass or sounding-line，and had no way of knowing how near the harbour was. “ light！Give me light！” was the wordless cry of my soul，and the light of love shone on me in that very hour.
14. Someone took it，and I was caught up and held close in the arms of her who had come to reveal all things to me，and，more than all things else，to love me.
15. monkey-like imitation.
16. In the days that followed，I learned to spell in this
uncomprehending way a great many words，among them pin，hat，cup and a few verbs like sit，stand and walk.
接下来的几天里，我在根本不知自己在做什么样情况下，学会了拼好些单词，比如PIN，HAT，CUP 及一些动词，如SIT，STAND AND WALK.
17. That was because I saw everything with the strange，new sight that had come to me. On entering the door I remembered the doll I had broken. I felt my way to hearth and picked up the pieces，I tried vainly to put them together.