Part One PREPARATION
1. Different Kinds of Personal Relationships STEP ONE STEP TWO
co-workers ，colleagues ，classmates ，roommates lovers ，supervisor ， neighbors ， co-author... Part Two
1. 1. 1) A 2) B 3)A 4)A 5) B 6) C
7) A 8) C
2. 1) killed 2) wounded 3) arrived 4) girl 5) badly/seriously 6) blood 7) none 8) American 9) type 10) orphans 11) French
13) frightened 14) would 15) cried
1. 1) reply 2) land 3) pat 4) supplied 5) wound 6) pat 7) replied 8) signed 9) wounded
11) sign 12) balance 13) land 14) balance
2. run: 1) D 2) A 3)C 4)E 5) F 6) B
match: 1) E
2) B 3)G
4)D 5) C
6) F 7) A
3. 1) Insert
2) in the balance 3) requests 4) relief
5) let out 6) tiny
8) stiff 9) occasional 10) misunderstood
11) limited 12) action
1) I'm tired. I should not have gone to bed so late last night.
2) I don't/didn't know Bob very well, but we go/went out for an occasional drink together. 3) We are supposed to meet her at the train station.
4) You could clearly see people drowning, but/and yet you took no action to save them. 5) Including weekends, there are only twelve more days to buy Christmas presents. 6) Without immediate action, many kinds of wild animals would die from hunger. Part Three FURTHER Development 1 Grammar Review
B: Well, he should have bought new batteries the day before.
B: He should have spent more time memorizing new words and phrases before the exam. If he had worked harder, the exam would not been so difficult for him. B: But he really shouldn't have stayed up the night before exam. B: That's terrible. He shouldn't have cheated on the exam. 2 Vocabulary Review
1) A. Although/Though B. though C. though 2) A. reply/answer B. answer C. replying
parent — child employer — employee husband —wife write — reader teacher — student doctor — patient host — guest boyfriend — girlfriend
clerk — customer driver — passenger buyer — seller performer — audience
，schoolmates ，seatmates ，playmates ，
3) A. speaks B. speak C. taking D. speak/talk
4) A. injured B. hurt C. wounded/injured D. wounds
5) A. houses B. apartment, apartments
6) A. aside B. apart C. aside/apart
7) A. requests B. requested C. demanded D. demands
8) A. border B. boundary C. boundary
1 Expressions Related to Memory
STEP ONE (略)
b 2)d 3) a 4)c
1.1) brother 2) late 3) land 4) take 5) because
6) noise 7) worse 8) bags 9) briefcase 10) counter
11) look 12) said 13) on 14) loading 15) get
16) have 17) form 18) delivered 19) airport 20) home
21) unloaded 22) never 23) realized 24) flights 25) midnight
. 1)F 2)F 3)F 4)F 5)T 6)F 7)T 8)F
1. 1) B
A. flight: a journey on an airplane, etc.
B. flight: an airplane that takes people on a particular journey
A. meet: wait for somebody, greet somebody
B. meet: see somebody accidentally
A. take off: leave the ground and start flying
B. take off: become successful or popular
A. conclude: end or bring something to an end
B. conclude: reach a belief or opinion as a result of thought or study
A. whoever: anyone who
B. whoever: no matter who
A. view: an opinion or idea
B. view: the ability to see or be seen from a particular place
A. check: examine something to make sure that it is safe, correct, in good condition, etc.
B. check: (BrE) leave (baggage, etc.) ready to be dispatched
A. suggest: say or show something in an indirect way
B. suggest: propose a plan or idea for somebody to discuss or consider
A. lot: an area of land used for a particular purpose
B. a lot: a large amount or number
A. painful: causing physical pain
B. painful: upsetting or unpleasant
2. 1)off 2)in 3)by 4)down 5)for 6)of
7) in 8)off 9)in 10)on 11)out/in 12)from
3. 1 ) shocked 2) concluded 3) glancing 4) baggage 5) exclaimed 6)display
7) whoever 8 ) promise 9 ) agent 10 ) airline 11) opening 12 )engine
4. 延误一小时delay for an hour
接机/在机场接人meet a flight/meet … at thaeirport
观看飞机起降watch planes land and take off
让（某人）想起remind … of
也许(a polite expression) by any chance
朝某人身后瞥了一眼glance /look over one ' s shoulder
消失不见了vanish from sight
平静了一点儿calm down a little
送到……地址deliver to one ' s address
朝停车场上……的车走去head for one ' s car in the parking lot
卸（某人的）车unload one ' s car
不能相信自己的眼睛can' t believe one 's eyes
午夜后不久shortly/soon after midnight
1. That songs always reminded her of the night spent in Chicago.
2. There happened to be a policeman on the corner, so I asked him the way.
3. All flights to New York today are delayed because of the bad weather.
4. Whoever is responsible will have to pay for the damage.
5. I can not find my checkbook. I must have left it at home.
6. By the time, the football match was going to start, the storm had already stopped. Part Three FURTHER DEVELOPMENT
1 Grammar Review.
1) when 2)which/that 3)who/that 4)that 5)what
6)where 7)which 8)whose 9)(that) 10)how
11) which 12)which 13)why 14)whoever 2 Vocabulary Review Section A
1) A. remember B. reminded C. remind 2) A. number B. amount C. amounts 3) A. effect B. affect C. affect
C. compare with/to
16.repeat 17.jewel 18.dull 19.unable
Part Four WRITING NND TRANSLATION
1. A young man came to the check-in counter and asked if his briefcase had been turned in.
2. He looked over my shoulder at the conveyer belt and shouted that he had seen his briefcase going through the opening at the end of the conveyor belt.
3. Unfortunately, his briefcase had already been loaded on one of the flights.
4. I assured him that we would call him as soon as we found his briefcase.
5. To our great surprise, the young man said that he had already found his briefcase in his car.
1 Why Are You Speaking? STEP ONE
1) The man wants to express his love to the woman. He hopes that they could fall in love just like the two persons in the picture.
2) The woman wants to prevent the boy from doing that. 3) The woman wants to know the man's opinion about the thing.
4) The man wants to stop the boy from disturbing him, and gives the boy an advice. STEP TWO (略) 3 Idioms Related to Parts of the Body 1) G 2)A 3)H 4)C 5)B 6)E 7)F 8)D 4 How Do Animals Communicate? 1) E 2)A 3)F 4)B 5)D 6)C Part Two Post-reading
1. Understanding the General Organization of the T ext 1) Non verbal language or body language is also an important means of communication.
2) A) the gesture of nodding the head up and down ，
B) eye contact ，
C) the sign of waving the hand/a wave of the land, D) Personal conversation distance. 3) cultural awareness.
2. Understanding Specific Information
1) They may mean different things in different cultures.
2) Facial expression, gesture, and other movements of the body that send messages. 3) Nodding the head up and down.
4)A. compare...with/to Section B 1.briefcase
10.recall 11.display 12.expert 13.involved 14.helpful 8.delivery
4) Because he thought the student was expressing “ Iagree to buy the machine ” by nodding his head.
5) People are expected to look into the other person 's eyes during a conversation.
6) He may come closer instead of going away.
7) Because they come from different countries and prefer different conversation distances.
8) It 'tshe awareness of differences between different cultures./It t'hes awareness of proper behavior in different cultures.
1. 1 ) ABBAB 6)ABBAB
2. 1 ) gesture 2 ) signal 3 ) misunderstanding 4 ) behaved 5) curls
6 ) meaningful
7 ) rarely 8) means 9 ) unfamiliar 10 ) decreased
11 ) bowed 12 ) communication 13 ) facial 14 ) awareness 15 ) occur
1. You won't get the job unless you have got the experience.
2. Most of my time is spent studying the differences between Chinese and American cultures.
3. The statement/sentence is so clear that it can't cause any misunderstanding.
4. He wishes he could give her more help than what he does now .
5. Put on your coat, or you will catch a cold .
6. She has added a picture of Picasso to her collection.
7. I am not aware of ever having been here before.
8. You will soon find yourself without any friends at all if you keep on being so rude to everybody.
1 Grammar Review
1)I don't know whether to go to the movies or stay to watch TV at home.
2) I'm thinking when to leave.
3 ) Please tell us where to send your mail.
4) I don't decide which city to settle in.
5) I'm not sure(I don't know)who to ask for help.
6 ) Could you show me how to get the railway station from here?
7)We would discuss what to do with the money.
The earlier you leave ，the sooner your will arrive.
More expensive the hotel is ，the better service it has.
The more you get to know him ，the more you like him.
The more longer you wait, the more impatient you have.
The garden is about four times bigger than mine.
The house is about three times as expensive as his.
He runs three times faster than I do.
Machine works ten times as efficient as people do.
she asks about that
you study hard
I give him $ 200
you speak loudly
2 Vocabulary Review
1) expands 2)means 3 )sign 4 )genuine 5 )reward 6 )fault 7)effort 8 )horizons
9) habit 10 )resolve 11)recognized
5 Eyes —The Windows of the Soul
caught his eye
have eyes bigger than my stomach
making eyes at
turn a blind eye to
take my eyes off
WRITING AND TRANSLATION
2 Translation Practice
1) First, you must be aware that feeling nervous in a new very environment is normal.
2) Our thoughts can race a long several times faster than most people speak.
3) In order to get other ' asttention, you must learn how to be a good and sympathetic listener.
4) One of the essential points is that you should try to broaden your horizons.
5) A sense of humor is helpful and you can lighten a conversation by sometimes telling a joke about yourself.
6) Only when you are willing to talk and listen attentively, will you succeed in making friends with the people around you.
1 A Freshman 's Alphabert
CAMPUS I live
DORMITORY EXAMINATIONS FRIENDS I enjoy talk with
GRAMMAR HOBBIES INFORMATION I can get it from internet
KNOWLEDGE LIBRARY MAJOR
NOTES OK PROFESSORS
QUIZZES I am afraid of them
TUTION I have to pay for my education UNIVERSITIES
VACATIONS WEEKENDS X'MAS CARDS
YAHOO ZOO Part Two
1. Understanding the organization of the text
II. A)I went to the wrong building ，so went to the wrong classroom
B ) step ，dropped ，fell
C ) going to the cafeteria and stayed in room
III. he also dropped the food tray and fell to the ground.
he seemed to fell that nothing serious had happened.
IV. A) one made mistake in college
2. Understanding Specific Information
1 )No ，it is not true that everyone on campus was not watch the narrator. It is just a kind of feeling from the narrator. Because it is the first day of his college life , he was very nervous.
2) He wanted to stay out of the professor's vision.
4) Biology majors look serious.
5) A ) Here "it" refers to my entire life.
B) It was terrible.
6) Here "it" refers to the terrible thing that the narrator fell.
7) Because she/he was afraid of those students recognized him.
8) " The same fate" means to the student drop a tray and fall just like the narrator.
9) Because he did not take it serious.
10 ) "It" refers to whether you drop a tray, where you sit, or whether you show up in the wrong lecture, etc.
11 ) Mistakes.
12 ) Making mistakes is not as serious as one would think. Vocabulary
1. 1 ) taste 2) rearing 3 ) tips 4) taste 5 ) settled 6 ) major
7) lot 8) rear 9) settle 10 )major 11 ) settled 12 ) tip
2. 1 )tray 2 ) view 3) clasps 4) relax 5 ) crashed 6 ) schedule
7 )slip 8)groped 9 )completely 10 )grinned 11)opportunities 12 )hesitation
1. It ' s far too hot in the room, open the window, please!
2. The noise woke us up in the middle of the night.
3. He should have been angry at what I said. It was nothing more than a joke.
4. We invited all our friends to the picnic but it rained and only five of them showed up.
5. She views marriage as a serious matter.
6. To my disappointment, the movie didn ' t live up to my expectations. Part Three
1 Grammar Review
1) laugh —to laugh/laughing 2) were —be/is 3) saw —had seen 4)to go—go