1.Students differ about whether they should have their future mapped out when they are still at
university.Some think they should have a definite goal and detailed plan, so as to brace themselves for any challenges, whereas some others think they don’t have to think much about the future, because future is full of uncertainties.
2.After a very careful check-up, the scientist was told he got cancer. Although he knew that his
life was ticking away, in stead of complaining about the fate, the scientist decided to make the best of the remaining days, and speed up the research project he and his colleagues initiated, and have a shot at completing it ahead of schedule.
1.At the railway station, an old man told me his experience in the Liberation War, the fighting stories of which were of great fascination to me. Then he got up on the train and it roared past me. But the stories were so real and definite that I greatly marveled at the courageous deeds of those war heroes
2.Effective environmental policy might bring about a good environment, as well as reducing energy consumption. Looking back on the recent development of this region, we find, to our pleasant surprise, that little exception has been taken to the environmental policy of the local government, and the policy has also raised the environmental awareness of the local residents and prompted them to save energy as possible as they could.
1. As the wedding ceremony was approaching, Susan had become quite anxious. She could not pin down what exactly was troubling her. After a long talk with her close friend Kate, she realized that, although she was 28 years old, she was not emotionally mature enough to be ready for marriage and she was not sure whether the marriage would guarantee her a happy family life.
2. She knew that Chinese students had a way of shying away from revealing their feelings or opinions, due not merely to their lack of confidence in spoken English, but to their belief in the virtue of modesty. So she specially conceived a couple of simple topics and encouraged them in the discussion, in order that they might become more confident and closer with each other.
1. We couldn’t make of their proposal at all, because it was no easy job for us to come to grips with their perspective. It was a safe bet that we were as much baffled about their way of thinking as they were about ours. I think we need to arrange a meeting to clear up misunderstandings and to remove communication barriers.
2. We couldn’t make of their proposal at all, because it was no easy job for us to come to grips with their perspective. It was a safe bet that we were as much baffled about their way of thinking as they were about ours. I think we need to arrange a meeting to clear up misunderstandings and to remove communication barriers.
1. This young man l iked reading detective stories. After finished reading Holmes’ stories, he thought he had known the detective’s skills inside out and started to investigate a case of robbery. After a few weeks of close investigation, he tracked down three suspects, who turned out to be abroad when the robbery took place.
2.In this book, we do find some differences between the two cultures. But instead of dwelling
on the differences, the author presents lengthy discussions on things they have in common, of which their loyalty to work are most thoroughly touched upon.
1. People are quite puzzled about the fact that he has stuck with the same job for 30 years when most people of his age have changed at least four or five jobs. Maybe for him there is no point in changing jobs for a higher pay or for the thrill of experiencing something new. The only thing that matters, in his point of view, is stability.
2. Most members of the association believe that they need to lobby as hard as possible to make sure that the plan will be approved by the government. It’s essential to win over some of the naysayer among the policy makers. Tough though it will be, they have made up their mind to make utmost efforts.
1.The media doubt the claim that the two consecutive tragedies were independent of each other,
and are dissatisfied with the fact that the President was not responsive immediately. When it comes to his competence in running the government, the media have long lost their trust, if only he could do well in his subsequent term.
2.Keep remembering that do not humiliate you child because they don’t gain good grades, as
their memory of the humiliation will haunt them for a long time, turn them off from learning at an early age and prevent them from gaining positive attitudes towards life. The development of children can be sustained only when parents identify the strengths in their children and encourage them from time to time.
1. When he divorced his wife, he knew that he would never hear the end of it from his friends, because they all believed the rumor that he had dumped her for a younger woman. Whenever he bumped into a friend in the street, they would reprimand him severely for betraying his wife. He realized with his own experience that if a rumor stuck around long enough, people would gradually take it as true.
2. After undergoing so many misfortunes, he vents all his anger, discontent and despair on people around him, be they families or colleagues. Instead of shutting our eyes and ears to his anomalies, we should offer him more cares and love. We believe he is bound to recollect himself and go through the tough time.
1.According to some prior surveys, race used to be the most important factor in political elections of this country, as the population is comprised of multi-races and multi-ethnics. However, a substantial number of immigrants complicated the situation. Candidates are obliged to take the issues of faith and cultures into consideration.
2.All talented young men who are interested in politics aspire to become great political leaders some day, to have impact on the world in a positive way and make it a better place. But sadly, many of them, after realizing their dreams, will only be concerned with maintaining their power and status instead of serving people. What is worse, sometimes they will abuse power to satisfy
their greed at the expense of the country and people.
1.All talented young men who are interested in politics aspire to become great political leaders some day, to have impact on the world in a positive way and make it a better place. But sadly, many of them, after realizing their dreams, will only be concerned with maintaining their power and status instead of serving people. What is worse, sometimes they will abuse power to satisfy their greed at the expense of the country and people.
2. The story of this TV series is that of a couple who, in order to earn a better life, depart each other and study overseas on their own. The most striking scene is when the hero and heroine embrace each other and say farewell at the airport. Factual or not, it is highly praised by the audience because of its smooth storytelling and sophisticated acting skills of the feature actors.