1. 这种植物只有在培育它的土壤中才能很好地成长。(other than)
Suggested answer: The plant does not grow well in soils other than the one in which it has been developed.
2. 研究结果表明，无论我们白天做了什么事情，晚上都会做大约两个小时的梦。(may have done)
Suggested answer: Research findings show that we spend about two hours dreaming every night, no matter what we may have done during the day.
3. 有些人往往责怪别人没有尽最大努力，以此来为自己的失败辩护。(justify sth. by)
Suggested answer: Some people tend to justify their failure by blaming others for not trying their best.
4. 我们忠于我们的承诺：凡是答应做的，我们都会做到。(remain true to)
Suggested answer: We remain true to our commitment: Whatever we promised to do, we would do it.
他的老师觉得他似乎过于迟钝。(discount; be true of)
Suggested answer: Even Beethoven's father discounted the possibility that his son would one day become the greatest musician in the world. The same is true of Edison, who seemed to his teacher to be quite dull.
6. 当局控告他们威胁国家安全。(accuse sb. of sth.)
Suggested answer: They were accused by the authorities of threatening the state security.
1. If you move into any place other than your own private home, make sure you know what the rules are about
pets if you have one.
Suggested answer: 出入除自己家以外的任何场所时，如果你带有宠物，一定要了解有关宠物的规定。
2. Some women could have made a good salary in job instead of staying at home, but they decided not to work
for the sake of the family.
Suggested answer: 一些女性完全可以不待在家里，而是去工作，挣一份不错的工资。但是为了家庭，她们放弃了工作。
3. How can you justify such rudeness? You will pay heavily for that because they have sued you for damaging
their good name.
Suggested answer: 你怎么为这样粗鲁的行为辩护? 你将会为此付出沉重的代价，因为他们已经以诋毁名誉的罪名起诉你了。
4. Criticism can be of great use; we may not like it at the time, but it can spur us on to greater things.
Suggested answer: 批评有其重要作用；我们可能当时不喜欢它，但是它能激励我们去做更伟大的事情。
5. His uncompromising behavior, to which the public objected, left him bankrupt emotionally and financially.
Suggested answer: 他毫不让步的行为遭到公众的反对，这使得他陷入了精神上崩溃、经济上破产的境地。
6. Even if you fail, don't let failure harm you, don't let failure take over. Remember failure is a necessary step in
learning; it is not the end of your learning, but the beginning.
Suggested answer: 即使你失败了，也不要被失败伤害，更不要被失败左右。记住：失败是学习过程中必要的一步；它不是学习的结束，而是学习的开始。
1. 据报道有七八位官员收受贿赂，市长决定亲自出马调查这件事。(be reported to; look into)
Suggested answer: Seven or eight officials are reported to have taken bribes and the mayor has decided to look into the affair in person.
2. 这些工人后悔当时接受管理部门的意见重新回去工作。现在他们再次面临失业的危险了。(regret doing
sth.; yield to; be faced with)
Suggested answer: These workers regret yielding to the management's advice and going back to work. Now they are again faced with the threat of losing their jobs.
3. 你只需填写一张表格就可取得会员资格，它可以使你在买东西时享受打折的优惠。(fill out)
Suggested answer: You only need to fill out a form to get your membership, which entitles you to a discount on goods.
4. 不知为什么他们的汽车在半路坏掉了，结果他们比原计划晚到了三个小时。(break down)
Suggested answer: Their car broke down halfway for no reason. As a result they arrived three hours later than they had planned.
5. 那位官员卷入了一场丑闻，数周后被迫辞职。（get involved in）
Suggested answer: The official got involved in a scandal and was forced to resign weeks later.
6. 这个靠救济过日子的人开始慢慢地建立起自己的市场，生意日渐兴隆。(build up; one step at a time)
Suggested answer: The man living on welfare began to build up his own market, one step at a time and his business is thriving.
1. The man is reported to have said in private that "we are being made fools of by many of our clients, so we are
entitled to have them bow to us as compensation."
Suggested answer: 据报道这个男子曾在私下说："许多救济对象在欺骗我们，因此，作为补偿，我们有权让他们对我们点头哈腰。"
2. After considering your background and experience, we regret to inform you that we don't have an appropriate
job opportunity for you at current stage.
Suggested answer: 我们考虑了你的背景与经历，很遗憾地告诉你，我们目前没有适合你的工作机会。
3. I failed to take my cue from Oscar. Instead, I talked back to the woman, who turned out to be our new
Suggested answer: 我没能按奥斯卡的暗示去做，相反，我反驳了那个妇女，结果她竟然是我们的新经理。
4. There needs to be someone who can act as a champion for the rights of the poor because the system so easily
lends itself to abuse.
Suggested answer: 需要有人来充当穷人权利的捍卫者，因为这一体制太容易被滥用。
5. I called the police for help after my car broke down on the freeway. Twenty minutes later, they came to my
Suggested answer: 我的车子在高速公路上抛锚后，我打电话向警察求助，20分钟后他们赶来帮我。
6. He was passionate for art, but he went through tremendous pain—pain of poverty and misunderstanding.
Suggested answer: 他热爱艺术，却经受了巨大的痛苦——贫穷与误解。
1. 我父母不是对我的教育投资，而是把钱花在了买新住房上。(rather than)
Suggested answer: Rather than invest in my education, my parents spent their money on a new house.
2. 如今，人们用于休闲娱乐的开支是过去的两倍。(twice as... as)
Suggested answer: Today, people are spending twice as much on entertainment and relaxation as they did in the past.
3. 一家公司要成功，它必须跟上市场的发展。(keep pace with)
Suggested answer: In order to be successful, a business must keep pace with developments in the marketplace.
4. 与申请这个职位的其他女孩相比，她流利的英语是个优势。(give an advantage over)
Suggested answer: Her fluency in English gave her an advantage over other girls for the job.
5. 对于学生而言，没有任何地方比图书馆更好了，在那里所有的图书都任由他们使用。(at one's disposal)
Suggested answer: For students, nowhere is better than the library, where all the books are at their disposal.
6. 我们要充分利用好这个平台，加强交流，拓展合作领域，共谋发展大计。(make use of)
Suggested answer: We should make full use of the platform to strengthen communication, expand cooperation in more areas and seek further development through joint efforts.
1. The developing countries see information technologies as a means to accelerate their economy, but some lack
experience in weighing costs and choosing between technologies.
Suggested answer: 发展中国家认为信息技术是促进经济发展的途径，但一些国家在估算成本与选择技术方面缺乏经验。
2. The world is said to have about 3,000 times as much groundwater as water it has in rivers and lakes, and
groundwater is far cleaner.
Suggested answer: 据说地球拥有的地下水量大约是其拥有的河流和湖泊水量的三千倍，而且地下水要干净得多。
3. Anyone can take good photos—it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.
Suggested answer: 任何人都能照出好照片——问题只是你是否在合适的时间和地点。
4. By installing computers in their schools and libraries, the community leaders demonstrated that they were
determined not to lag behind in technology.
Suggested answer: 通过在他们的学校和图书馆安装计算机，这些社区的领导们表明他们决心不在技术上落后。
5. When he started the company, he thought he'd be able to cruise alongside the top businesses in the market,
but he is disappointed because he hasn't yet succeeded.
Suggested answer: 当他开始创办这家公司时，他想他将能在市场上与那些顶级公司并驾齐驱，可是他现在失望了，因为他没有成功。
6. A Florida couple is building what they say will be the home of the future, one strong enough to withstand
hurricanes, yet gentle enough to blend in with the environment.
Suggested answer: 佛罗里达的一对夫妇在建造一座他们称之为未来之家的房子，它既能抵御飓风，又与周围环境十分协调。
1. 这位小个子男子并不如他看上去那么单纯。(not so... as)
Suggested answer: This little man is not so innocent as he appears.
2. 对这个问题我已束手无策了，所以你不妨去求助于王教授吧。(might as well)
Suggested answer: There's nothing I can do about the problem, so you might as well turn to Professor Wang for help.
3. 双方高度评价了在不同领域合作取得的成果，并希望合作进一步加深。(speak highly of)
Suggested answer: Both sides speak highly of the fruits in their cooperation in different areas, and hope that the cooperation can be furthered.
(on the one hand, on the other hand)
Suggested answer: On the one hand, an image of being close to the people can get a new policy more easily accepted. On the other hand, it will "encourage people to speak their minds and come up with constructive suggestions".
5. 他孤独的感觉时起时落，他有时会对自己、对宠物、对电视机唠叨不休。(rise and fall, at length)
Suggested answer: His sense of loneliness rose and fell and he sometimes would talk at length to himself and his pets and the television.
6. 毕竟，金钱不是万能的，最富有的人不一定是最幸福的。(after all)
Suggested answer: After all, money is not everything. The richest people are not necessarily the happiest.
1. The new mechanism is not so effective as they had expected, for months passed and there has been no big
improvement in management efficiency.
Suggested answer: 新的机制并不像他们预期的那样有效，因为数月过去了，但管理效率并没有明显改进。
2. I don't want to scare you unnecessarily, but you might as well face facts and look at a few numbers.
Suggested answer: 我不想不必要地吓唬你，可你最好还是面对事实，看看一些数字吧。
3. Loneliness is marked by a sense of isolation. Solitude, on the other hand, is a state of being alone without
being lonely and can lead to self-awareness.
Suggested answer: 孤独的特点是一种与世隔绝感，而独居则是独自一人却不感到寂寞的状态，它能引发自我意识。
4. Loneliness is a negative state. One feels that something is missing. It is possible to be with people and still
feel lonely—perhaps the bitterest form of loneliness.
Suggested answer: 孤独是一种消极的状态，你会感到失去了某种东西。你可能与别人在一起仍然感到孤独——这也许是孤独最痛苦的形式。
5. Solitude is a positive state of engagement with oneself. Solitude is desirable, a state of being alone where you
provide yourself wonderful and sufficient company.
Suggested answer: 独居是一种与自我相约的积极的状态。独居是值得向往的，是独自一人、享受自我愉快而又充实的陪伴的一种状态。
6. Thoreau says that loneliness can occur even amid companions if one's heart is not open to them.
Suggested answer: 梭罗说，一个人即使身处同伴之中，如果不对他们敞开心扉，仍会感到孤独。
Suggested answer: In the process of creating the genetic map, these scientists realized that cooperation was more than an attractive option; it was a responsibility.
less than; shed light on)
Suggested answer: Their research findings were nothing less than a miracle. As
a result of their findings, new light has been shed on the history of human
3. 事实上，只有勤奋加方法得当才能使你在学习上比他人有优势。(in combination with; give an advantage
Suggested answer: In fact, only hard work in combination with proper methods will give you an advantage over others.
4. 法官说这种惩罚将起到杀一儆百的作用。(serve as)
Suggested answer: The judge said the punishment would serve as a warning to others.
5. 感染的危险只限于那些与病人有亲密接触的人。(be confined to)
Suggested answer: The risk of infection is confined to those who have close contact with the patients.
6. 从这一分析中我们可以更好地知道发生了什么以及要做些什么。(in a better position to do)
Suggested answer: From such an analysis we are in a better position to understand what has happened and what to do about it.
1. As a responsible manufacturer, we are more than concerned about the environment; we are actively involved
in environmental protection.
Suggested answer: 作为一个负责的生产厂家，我们不仅仅关注环境；我们还积极参与环境保护。
2. Of course, she too eventually left to get married, but I could say for sure that she was nothing less than
dedicated and never allowed her professional priorities to be distracted.
Suggested answer: 当然，她最后还是离开，去结婚了，但我敢肯定的是：她对工作尽职尽责，从不允许自己的职业重点受到影响。
3. Other than academic success, what has been your greatest achievement to date?
Suggested answer: 除了学业上的成绩，你迄今为止最大的成就是什么?
4. Observations and experiments are carried out in order to test or shed light on some theory, and only those
observations considered relevant to that task should be recorded.
Suggested answer: 观察和实验的目的是为了验证或阐明某些理论，只有那些被视为与任务相关的观察才应该被记录下来。
5. Wherever they are now, black people are descended from Africans, but over the centuries their genetic
heritage has become diversified and complicated because of various reasons.
Suggested answer: 不管现在身处何地，黑人都是非洲人的后裔，但是数百年来，由于种种原因，他们的遗传基因已经变得多样化且非常复杂。
6. In effect, they agreed to the view that the very change in law brings about a change in the nature of society
and human relationships within it.
Suggested answer: 实际上，他们都同意这种观点：法律的变化引起了社会本质的变化以及社会中人与人之间关系的变化。