Unit 1 p23-25 第2,3题
1.Rules and regulations should be strictly followed;no one is supposed to compromise on safety standards.
2.She can’t blame must pay for her self-induced blindness.
3.He steered the boat carefully between the rocks.
4.An examiner must have some knowledge in testing;otherwise he cannot frame his questions clearly.
5.His last remark demonstrated his lack of knowledge on this subject.
6.Finally the police had to employ force to break up the crowd.
7.He claims that the new teaching approach helps to promote students’ creative ability.
8.The teachers were most impressed by your performance in the scored 98 marks whereas most of your classmates failed.
9.Among all the workers interviewed every one agreed that Martin had made an important contribution to the
c ompany’s success.
10.I know you did it deliberately ,just to annoy me.
11.We should try our best to help those who are in
financial difficulty and cannot pay their tuition fees on time.
12.The fast economic growth of our country has attracted the attention of many economists,who all think that is a miracle.
1. Being a mother of two young kids,Sarah always makes
a point of spending as much times as she can with them.
2. I looked up the word in the dictionary to refresh my memory of its exact meaning.
3. The chairman warned yesterday that a pay rise for teachers would lead to job cuts.
4. Realizing that his retirement(退休）was near at hand ,he looked for some additional income.
5. The famous actor keeps fit by working out for an hour every morning.
6. She is constantly under pressure and it is affecting her health.
7. Last but not least,I would like to thank all the people who have given us unselfish assistance throughout these years.
8. We’ve been trying to get back to you,Tom,but we
think we took your number down incorrectly.
9. In addition to giving a general introduction to computer science,the course also provides practical experience.
10. All the students were involved in making costumes and scenery for the show.
11. It was a perfectly ordinary day;in other words,I went to work and came home as usual.
12. Critics pointed out that the prince,on his income,should be paying tax.
13. Don’t say it is profitless to do effort will pay off in the long run.
The judge asked the reporters not to disclose t he name of the victim.
2) The teacher took pains to make sure that
we all understood what he said.
3) Recently the school conducted a survey am ong those students who have attained academic ex cellence.
4) He said he would accept the job, so we
have asked him to confirm his acceptance by w riting us a letter.
5) George studies very hard. He wants to ma ke the most of his chance to learn. 6) We can ’t go. To begin with, it’s too cold. Besides, we’re busy.
7) It’s about time that someone spoke up for these b asic truths / facts.
8) You should be working instead of lying t here in bed at this time of the day. 9) I’ll jot down some notes while he’s speaking.
10) I can’t carry the suitcase on my own; it’s too heavy.
Unit 2 p54-56
1)I like that singer a lot, but I haven’t been able to obtain his latest CD anywhere.
2) Jim said he was very confident that the
project(项目)would be successful.
3) Nowadays people prefer to communicate with
one another by e-mail.
4) Being tall gave him a(n) advantage over the other players.
5) He based his article on the relevant inf ormation he had gathered.
6) Role-play(角色扮演)is helpful in developing communication skills.
7) Sometimes she eats a lot and sometimes n othing at all; she just goes from one extreme
to the other.
8) My trip to Australia proved to be a mos t enjoyable experience.
9) It is assumed that the Internet is an e fficient means of communication.
10) I’m afraid that getting things changed is a slow process.
11) Traffic is terribly bad nowadays, particu larly in the city center.
12) There are too many characters in this n ovel; could you spare a few minutes and help m e clear up my confusion
13) Her behaviour of smoking in public reall y astonished us.
14) All the students are interested in his lectures; apparently he is a qualified teacher.
1) It is not that I don’t like this singe r. The fact is that I’m not very fond of cou ntry music.
2) The cost is directly related to the amou nt of time spent on the project.
3) The story is so interesting that I canno t help reading the next chapter to find out wh at’s going to happen.
4) To a certain extent, it was my fault th at we lost the match.
5) Girls may bring their boy friends to the
party and vice versa.
6) He is always ready to help others; no d oubt he’ll be willing to help you, too.
7) The new vaccine(疫苗)may rid the world of one of its most terrif ying diseases.
8) I assume that the misunderstanding between
the two sides will be cleared up soon.
9) You must pay $2,000; or else, you will have to go to prison.
10) We must fight pollution and protect our
environment(环境) at all costs.
11) I said he would forget, and sure enough
12) He cannot ride a bicycle, let alone a motorbike.
13) In his hurry to leave the room he left
his gold watch on the desk.
14) It’s no use worrying about Jim; he is
now with his aunt who loves him and will no doubt take good care of him.
15) He wants to improve his English by read ing dictionaries, but in my view it is not an effective method of learning.
16) I called Linda last night and asked her
if the exhibition of Chinese paintings in her university was worth seeing.
1) 这个婴儿还不会爬(crawl)，更不要说走了。(let alone)
The baby can’t even crawl yet, let alone walk!
2) 威尔声称谋杀案发生时他正和一群朋友吃饭，但是我认为他在说谎。(claim, in one’s opinion)
Will claimed he was dining with a group of friends at the time of the murder, but in my opinion he told a lie.
3) 一定程度上阅读速度与阅读技巧密切相关；有了阅读技巧，你就可以更好地应对课外阅读了。(to a certain extent, relate …to …, cope wi th)
To a certain extent the speed of reading is closely related to reading skills; and with re ading skills you can cope with outside class re ading better.
4) 你检查一下引擎(engine)看看出了什么问题好吗(take a look)
Can you take a look at the engine to see what’s wrong
汉语中都有对应的词语。(assume, equivalent) Some people assume that there is a Chinese equivalent for every Japanese word.
We have passed all relevant information on t o the police.
7) 关于那件事你问我再多的问题也没用，因为我是不会回答你的。(it’s no use)
There is no use asking me any more question s about that matter because I won’t answer.
8) 事先没有仔细阅读合同(contract)就签了名是吉姆的错误。(on one’s part)
It was a mistake on Jim’s part to sign the contract without reading it carefully.
9) 他们拒绝向我们提供所需要的全部信息。(provide …with)
They refused to provide us with all the inf ormation we need.
10) 这起事故与三年前发生的一起事故极为相似。(similar to)
This accident is very similar to the one th at happened three years ago.
11) 这部影片是根据莎士比亚的戏剧改编的。(base on)
The film is based on a play by Shakespeare.
12) 如果你的英语和电脑技能都掌握得好，那么你在谋职时就一定比别人更有优势。(have an advantage over) If you have a good command of English and computer skills, you will surely have an advanta ge over others in finding a job.
Unit 3 p83-84
1) There was a(n) awkward moment when she d idn’t know whether to shake his hand or kiss his cheek.
2) She breathed a sigh of relief when she found out she had passed her exam.
3) Parents should really take extra care of
their babies as many accidents actually occur
4) The government has two options; to reduce
spending or to increase tax.
5) The following program contains scenes that
may be disturbing to some viewers.
6) When the doctor told her that it was on ly a minor case, she released her husband’s ar m.
7) The woman felt panicky and she spoke alm ost without pausing for breath.
8) The policeman blew his whistle and the p rotesters scattered in all directions.
9) He put a grape into his mouth and swall owed it whole.
10) Don’t wipe your nose on your sleeve, k id —that’s what your handkerchief’s for!
11) I took my son to the zoo as a birthda y treat.
12) As I recall, it was you who suggested this idea in the first place.
1) In just a few days he became well acqua inted with all his new classmates.
2) Jane has locked herself up in her room
for the whole day. She took us by surprise w
hen she came out with her hair dyed red.
3) Let’s sit down quietly and gather our t houghts first before the discussion.
4) To my surprise, the stranger turned out to be an old friend of my mother’s.
5) Seeing Jim wearing a funny hat, Maggie t ried hard to fight back a desire to laugh.
6) Don’t hang up on me --I need to talk to you.
7) After quarrelling with his step-father, Co lin ran away and hasn’t been heard of ever si nce.
8) They’ve hired someone to take care of t he children for a week.
9) When I asked him how he was doing, he hemmed and hawed before telling me that he had just lost his job.
10) Once a very shy boy from a small mount ainous village, he turned into a competent engin eer in a matter of six years.
11) The newspaper refused to keep the facts from the public.
12) As we sat on the beach soaking up the
sunshine, she started to tell me her childhood stories.
1) 我们是好朋友，可他居然将这么大的一件事瞒着我，实在令我吃惊。(keepsth. from, take sb. by surprise) We are good friends; however, he kept such an important matter from me, whichtook me by su rprise.
2) 在毕业典礼(commencement)上，她感到喉头哽咽，但她仍然忍住了泪水。(a lump in one’s throat, fight back)
At the commencement, she felt a lump in her throat but fought back her tears.
3) 汤姆昨晚和我聊天，他告诉我他的病已经得到控制，不需做外科手术。(chatwith, under control)
Tom chatted with me last night. He told me that his disease had been broughtunder control, and there was no need for surgery.
4) 听说她的车驶离了公路，她的父母担心得要命。(run off, be worried sick)
Her parents were worried sick when they knew
that she had run off the highway.
5) 她满面愁容，不知有何心事。(on one’s mind)
She looks very worried; I wonder what’s on her mind.
6) 他是个害羞和安静的男孩，在走上讲台叙述自己的经历之前，他悄悄地坐在礼堂(auditorium)的一角整理着思绪。(gather one’s thoughts)
He is a shy and silent boy. Before he went onto the stage to share his experiences,he sat quietly in a corner of the auditorium, gatheri ng his thoughts.
7) 在乐队干了几年后，他又做回了独立音乐人(solo musician)，于是他的事业又回到了原点。(come full circle, career)
After several years of working in a band, h e has now gone back to being a solomusician, s o his career has come full circle.
8) 自己的儿子长成了一个能干的生意人，他总算放心了。(turn into, to one’s relief)
To his relief his son has turned into a ca pable businessman.
Unit 4 p114-116
1) She finds herself in conflict with her p arents over her future career.
2) The two parties finally overcame their di fferences on the matter of interest rate (利率).
3) Some strange customs have survived from e arlier times.
4) Please let us know if you can attend th
e meeting scheduled (事先安排) for the coming Thursday.
5) She frowned with displeasure as she was reading her son’s school report.
6) Students are likely to let their minds w ander if the teacher’s lectures are dull and b oring.
7) I always feel so guilty about not visiti ng my parents more often, but I do have lots of things to cope with every day.
8) The local farmers sustained heavy losses during the flood season.
9) The next morning we all went out to sur vey the damage caused by the fire.
10) The sudden appearance of a tiger from t he woods terrified us all.
11) International students are required to ca rry medical insurance as a condition of enrollme
12) Adapting to a new culture is no easy t ask because there are lots of cultural differenc es to overcome.
1) The old man was sick of having arguments all the time with his wife.
2) “You really can’t imagine what I have gone through,” Mary said,choking back her tears.
3) Compared with growing up in primitive societies, growing up in today’s world is in some ways harder.
4) When I first settled into teaching in this small town,
I felt very awkward, for my neighbors wanted to know everything about me.
5) The boys would give anything / the world to meet that football star.
6) Tom rushed into the room when Jane and I were in the midst of a conversation.
7) It’s true that his father is a world-famous movie star, but Jack became famous in his own right.
8) We didn’t plan it like that but it wor ked out very well.
9) At first he found it extremely hard to
fit in with his colleagues at the new company.
10) When I was in my teens, I gradually gr ew apart from my parents, only to realize how wrong I was in my later years.
11) I’m sorry to hear that you’re suffering from a severe cold. No wonder you did not turn up at the party yesterday.
12) It is not a healthy habit staying up t oo late.
13) I was annoyed with my mother’s tight control over me and ended up shouting
at her one day.
14) The boy was scared of his mother becaus
e she would always scold(责怪) him i
f he did anythin
15) Because of my carelessness, I soon found
myself in trouble again and then I realized t hat what my mother had said was right.
16) He is not a very responsible person. Fo r instance, he promised to come to our meet ing, but never even responded when we invited h im.
1) 很多老师不赞同这种做法。(frown on)
Many teachers frowned on this practice.
2) 当我想从草地上穿过去的时候，有位老人在旁边怒视着我。(glare at)
An old man glared at me when I was trying to cut across the lawn.
When I mentioned my father, she showed a sm ile of recognition on her face.
4) 我的大孩子比较听话, 而小的那个非常倔。我现在还常回想起小的孩子在中学毕业后是如何执意要出国读书的。(whereas, stubborn, recall)
My firstborn was quite obedient, whereas my younger child was very stubborn. I can still re
call now how the younger child insisted on goin g abroad to study after he finished his seconda ry school.
Countries in South East Asia sustained great losses when the tsunami struck the area.
6) 每当做母亲的拿弟弟跟哥哥作比较，弟弟就要抗议。(compare with, protest)
Every time the mother tries to compare the younger brother with his elder brother, the youn ger one will protest.
7) 当他初到这个新学校的时候，发现自己与其他同学格格不入。(fit in with)
He found himself unable to fit in with his classmates when he first came to this school.
The fury on her face terrified me. I dared not say no to her again.