Key to Exercises (unit 1)
I. 1). respectable 2) .agony 3). put down 4). sequence 4). rigid 5). hold back 6). distribute 7). off and on 8). vivid
9). associate 10). finally 11). turn in 12). tackle
2. 1) has been assigned to the newspaper’s Paris office
2) was so extraordinary that I didn’t know whether to believe him or not
3) a clear image of how she would look in twenty year s’ time
4) gave the command the soldiers opened fire
5) buying bikes we’ll keep turning them out
3.1) reputation/rigid / to inspire 2) and tedious / what’s more / out of date ideas
3) compose / career / avoid showing / hardly hold back
II. 1). composed 2). severe 3) agony 4). extraordinary
5). recall 6). command
7). was violating 8). anticipate
III. 1. at 2. for 3. of 4. with
9. from 10. on/upon
(1) hold back (2) tedious (3) scanned (4) recall
(5) vivid (6) off and on (7) turn out/in (8) career
(1) last (2) surprise (3) pulled (4) blowing (5) dressed (6) scene
(7) extraordinary (8)image (9)turn (11) excitement
1 1) As it was a formal dinner party, I wore formal dress, as Mother told me to.
2) His girlfriend advised him to get rid of /get out of his bad habit of smoking before it took hold.
3) Anticipating that the demand for electricity will be high during the next few months, they have decided to increase its production.
4) It is said that Bill has been fired for continually violating the company’s
safety rules./Bill is said to have been fired for continually violating the company’s safety rules.
5) It is reported that government has taken proper measures to avoid the possibility of a severe water shortage./The local government is reported to have taken proper measures to avoid the possibility of a severe water shortage.
Susan lost her legs because of/in a car accident. For a time, she didn’t know how to face up to the fact that she would never be able to walk again.
One day, while scanning （through） some magazines, a true story caught her eye/she was attracted by a true story. It gave a vivid description of how a disabled girl became a writer. Greatly inspired, Susan began to feel that she , too, would finally be able to lead a useful life.
Key to exercises Unit 2
1. 1) absolutely 2) available 3) every now and then
4) are urging/ urged 5) destination
6) mostly 7) hangs out 8) right away 9) reunion
10)or something 11)estimate
12) going ahead
1) It seemed that his failure in the examination was still on his mind.
2) He was completely chocked up by the sight of his team losing in the final minutes of the game.
3) She was so lost in study that she forgot to have dinner.
4) Something has come up and I am afraid i won't be able to accomplish the project on time.
5) The cost of equipping the new hospital was estimated at $2 million.
1) were postponed ... the awful ...is estimated
2) reference ... not available ... am kind of
3) not much of a teacher... skips...go head
; 2. for; 3. at; 4. from; 5. in; 6. to; 7. on;
1). more or less; 2). kind of/ sort of
3). Something 4). kind of/ sort of
5). more or less 6). or something
I. (A) 1) choked up 2) awful 3) practically 4) neighborhood
5) correspondence 6) available 7) destination
8) reunion 9) Mostly 10)postponing 11) absolutely
(B) 1) how 2)savings 3) embarrassment 4) phone 5)interrupted
6)touch 7)envelope 8) signed 9) message
Half an hour had gone by, but the last bus hadn’t come yet. We had to walk home.
2) Mary looks as if she is very worried about the Chinese exam because she hasn’t learned the texts by heart.
3) Since the basketball match has been postponed, we might as well visit the museum.
4) He stayed in Australia with his parents all the way through World War II.
5) Since I graduated from nanjing University in 1985, I have kind of lost touch with my classmates.
2. It is not easy to keep in touch with friends when they are far away. This is certainly true in my case.
It has been a couple of years since I left my old meighborhood and all the friends I had there. I've been meaning to write to them but something or other comes up and I just don't seem to find the time. They are always on my mind, however, and I think I will certainly make an effort to keep up correspondence with them in future.
Key to Unit 3:
1) brief 2) in terms of 3) cut…off 4) tend 5) anyway
6) precise 7)in the form of
8) initiative 9) convey 10) in two minds 11)concept 12)grasp
1.1) …has ensured their team a place in the Cup Final.
2) ….medical workers’responsibility to heal the wounded and rescure the dying.
3)…..entertain as well as educate the learner.
4) ….can do without air and water.
5)… is likely to be held in June
2.1) lies in ….contact between
2) basis of ….is likely….sufficient ….at the moment
3) the steady ….ensures…will be highly
2.1) majority 2) accepted 3) increased 4) weakness 5)
6) late 7) wrong 8) false
(A)1) highly; 2) bring about 3) evident 4）rate 5) sufficient; 6) put across 7)
proportion 8) Hence, 9) ensure..
put across;…proportion; ….Hence;….ensure;….audience…
(B)1)understand 2) tracel 3) practical 4) use 5) Another 6) likely 7) affect 8)
developments 9) supply 10) Someday
1) As is predicted by scientists, global pollution has become one of the most serious problems humans are faced with.
2) Competition for these jobs is very tough ---- we have five times as many applicants this year as we did last year/there are five times as many applicants this year as there were last year.
3) As the facts show, educational programs need to fit into the national plan for economic development.
4) The car burns too much gas, and moreover, the price is almost twice as much as I intend to pay.
5) To understand a great international event, we, first of all, need to consider the historical and political background to it.
It is hard to imagine how our forefathers could do without so many conveniences that modern technology has brought about. Back then only a small proportion of the population enjoyed the comforts of life. The majority didn’t even have sufficient food, not to speak of/ let alone the privilege of being educated. However, many people blame modern technology for creating so many problems. They want to slow down the rate of progress. But no one can put the clock back.
https://www.sodocs.net/doc/103793552.html,nguage sense enhancement.
passed away grew in stature proud route values and principle
above all bottom tiny giant balance sheets
wreck balance approaching handle discard Above all diet do with checked on clean up weekly principle
3. Rewrite sentences.
<1> to look for survivors were abandoned after it had been/was determined that
all the people in the sunken ship had died.
<2> was amazed that bob left a well-paid job to travel around the world.
<3> for a loan has been turned down by many a bank as her business is small and
she could provide no guarantee.
<4>express her thoughts with precision, so people often misunderstand her.
<5> will weaken our determination to modernize our country in the shortest
https://www.sodocs.net/doc/103793552.html,plete the sentences.
for sale hunting for be amazed by
become skilled handle their loans
character by calling on he passes away
personal personnel / sometime sometimes some time sometime
d e h c g a b f
sponsored determination turned away assumed capacity skilled loan character hunting for sale send for save recent modest grow dream immigrant business engineering invest rich
<1> It is reported that UN mediators have worked out a plan which they hope will
be acceptable to both sides.
<2> Doris walked in the forest cautiously, afraid of being attacked by giant
<3> Earthquakes, typhoons and other natural disasters cannot be prevented, but
action can be taken to protect life and property.
<4> I bought a new issue of my favorite sports magazine and hurried home, anxious
to amuse myself reading it.
<5> Helen lacks confidence. I’ve never known anyone so unsure of herself.
After graduating from college, Tony decided to start his own business. At the beginning, many a bank turned down his request for a loan. But he was not a bit discouraged, and continued to call on one banker after another seeking help. Impressed by his determination and optimism, one banker finally agreed to loan him the money. Now he has become a wealthy businessman. Talking about his amazing achievement, Tony puts great emphasis on the importance of creating, rather than waiting for opportunities.
, , , in the eye
9. survived 10. pick out 11. married 12. grabbed at
1.survived a car crash that killed both her parents.
2.almost embarrassed to death when Sarah read my poem out to the whole class.
3.of the Children’s Hospital will care for the seriously injured pupils./
4. several phone calls making inquiries about the position of Chief Financial
5.straighten out all your financial problems if you join our club.
1.injury, died of hunger, people survived
2.instantly, give up his, retire, replace him, executive
3.his beloved, odd jobs, and all that
2. survivors, 3 newly, 4. marketable
6. competition, 8. respectable
1. the poor, 2 the deceased\the dead 3. the disabled
4. the French , 5 the accused 6. the young.
7. the unemployed 8 the latter….the former
1. died of
2. instantly, 3 classic, 4. ask around,
5. surviving 6 . retire 7. executive, 8 replacement
9 stock 10 look in the eye
9 commitment 10 revealed
1.I’m not sure where you can find a good carpenter----you’d better ask around.
2.Feeling a little embarrassed, he quickly cleared his throat and looked up at
the painting on the wall.
3.Michael was survived by three sons, two daughters, and his wife Elizabeth.
4.As a financial expert, William advised us to invest our money in the stock market.
5.We small retailers can’t compete with supermarkets in pricing and sales.
My dad is a hard-working executive of a manufacturing firm. He works six days a week. Every day he has to straighten out various kinds of problems so that he often stays up late/nights. However, he tries his best to balance/maintain a balance between work and family. On Sundays my dad usually stays at home and cares for us as much as he can. To my greatest joy, he cooks our favorite dishes and plays ball with us.
1) Before I went off to university, my grandfather gave me a few words of wisdom which impressed me deeply.
2) Never tell my parents about my injuries and I’ll be very grateful to you (for it).
3) At the meeting some of our colleagues put forward sensible suggestions about improving our working environment.
4) The management has/ have agreed to grant the workers a 10% pay rise in response to union pressure.
5) It was very thoughtful of the hostess to give the home a thorough cleaning before we arrived.
Not rich himself, Uncle Li never hesitates to help others. Previous to / Before his retirement, through Project Hope he located the addresses of two country kids who grew up in poor families but had a keen desire to study. From then on he sent them money regularly. Later the two made their way to college, and even got a chance to study overseas.
Key to Exercises (Unit 6)
1) fertile 2) reflected 3) overseas 4) slim 5) split 6)
sustained 7)glow 8) thrust 9) keen 10)bud 11) previous 12) whichever
2. 1) …of carpets and furniture in the bedroom disgusts me.
2) …corresponding with Henry after the death of her mother.
3)….is best located at an isolated place far from cities.
4) …was so absorbed in the game on TV that I didn’t hear Martin come in.
5)… players grip the ball.
31) to broaden … make their way
2) disgusts ….take a chance on
3) the grand … and overseas ….reflected
1. 1). frightened 2). afraid/frightened
2. 1). alike/similar 2) similar
3. 1) alive 2)living
4. 1)sleeping 2) asleep
III. word family
1. 1) disappointed2) disappointment 3) disappointing
4) disappoint 5) disappointingly 6) disappointing
2.1)attractive 2) attract 3) attraction
4) attractively 5) unattractively 6) unattractive
(C)(1)—(10) identifying, gripped, margins, corresponding, overseas, more than
a little, hesitated, grateful, made my way, going my way
(D)(1)---(10) first, ring, Nor, another, threw, deliberately, reasoned, himself,
1.Before I went off to university, my grandfather gave me a few words of wisdom
which impressed me deeply.
2.Never tell my parents about my injuries and I’ll be very grateful to you (for
3.At the meeting some of our colleagues put forward sensible suggestions about
improving our working environment.
4.The management has agreed to grant the workers a 10% pay rise in response to
5.It was very thoughtful of the hostess to give the house a thorough cleaning before
Not rich himself, Uncle Li never hesitates to help others. Previous to/ before his retirement, through Project Hope he located the addresses of two country kids who grew up in poor families but had a keen desire to study. From then on he sent them money regularly. Later the two made their way to college, and even got a chance to study overseas.