5) are bound to
6) feel free
7) for instance
10) has committed to memory
12) rely on
13) Apart from
1) over and over again
2) at a time
3) put it into practice
4) watching out for
5) by no means
6) concentrate on
7) In addition t
8) in detail
3) reliance reliable
1) In my opinion
2) According to Mary
3) In our opinion
4) According to today's papers
5) In most doctors' opinion According to most doctors1) Shakespeare was not only a dramatist but also an actor.2) Miss Crain not only took me home in her car, but also camethe next day to see if I had
3)Hainan Island attracts tourists not only in winter but also in summer.
4)There is always a black market not only in Britain,but also in other European countries.
5)At the Athens Olympics in 2004,Liu Xiang not only won a gold medal in the 110-meter hurdles,
but also broke the Olympic record.
1)It is true that your sentences are all grammatically correct,but they don’t make any sense.
2) It is true that they lost that battle, but they still wenton fighting.
3) It is true that Tom’s very clever and hardworking, but Istill don’t think he is the right person for
4) It is true that learning English is by no means easy, butwe can make the task easier by using
some learning strategies.
3) over and over again
4) commit to memory
6) watch out for
10) rely on
11) put into practice
2) a matter of
8) join in
10) gain a good command 翻译
Mrs. Smith complained to me that she often found it simply impossible to communicate with her
2)我坚信，阅读简写的(simplified)英文小说是扩大我们词汇量的一种轻松愉快的方法。I firmly believe that reading simplified English novels is an easy and enjoyable way of enlarging
I don’t think we’re doing enough to protect our environment from pollution.
In addition to/Apart from writing compositions on a weekly basis, our English teacher assigned us
eight books to read during the summer vacation.
We’ve learned from reliable sources that a native English speaker is going to teach us spoken
English next term/semester.
Seeing English movies on a regular basis will not only improve your ear, but will also help you
build your speaking skills.
If you have any questions about these learning strategies,please feel free to ask me. And I’ll
explain them in greater detail.
The Canadian girl is good at seizing every opportunity to speak Chinese. That’s why she has
gained a good command of spoken Chinese in less than three years.
附: Reading Activity及Guided Writing
1)At first she didn’t want to https://www.sodocs.net/doc/3f1403897.html,ter,however,she changed her mind.
2)I have read one of his novels as well as a few of his plays.3) He neither knows nor cares what happened.
4) It was a cold snowy day and he had no money left for food.5) It rained heavily last night but I went to the show anyway.6)The book is due tomorrow. Therefore, I have to rush through it tonight.
7) Hurry up, or you’ll be late.
8) I enjoy classical music. So does she.
9) You may get there either by sea or by air.
10) He must be ill, for he is absent today.
11) I never saw him again. Nor did I hear from him.12) Both Mr. and Mrs. White were shocked by the news.大学英语精读第三版(上海外语教育出版社董亚芬主编)第一册Book1 Unit1答案
5) gave up nearby
6) all by herself
10) by far
11) was determined
12) turned over
15）In spite of
1) can't help feeling/can't help thinking
3) dissuade him from
4) set out to improve
5) had previously met
6) by far the most
2) an American
4) a Chinese
8) an Englishman
10) a Frenchman
13) a Greek
17) a German
1) It was a 28,500-mile voyage.
2) We took a five-day tour.
3) That student wrote a ten-page report.
4) Sam's new apartment is in a twelve-story building.5) It is a thirteenth century castle.
6) They are fourth year students.
7) It is first-class material.
8) It is definitely second-class work.
1) They looked both ways before crossing the street.2) I made my decision after talking to Sir Francis.3) They had dinner before going to the concert.
4) Chichester sent a radio message to London after succeedingin sailing round Cape Horn.
1) He was determined to carry out his plan in spite of hisillness.
2) They aren't doing well in school in spite of theirintelligence.
3) He isn't very happy in spite of his wealth.
4)He isn't a very good basketball player in spite of his height.1) what you have written
2) what we should always keep in mind
3) What they saw in China
4) what we can do today
1) In spite of
5) set out
8) give up
1) hard to reach
3) set out
4) sprung up
7) carried out
9) lifted high
10) floated away
Fortunately there was a hospital nearby and we took him there at once.
After succeeding in landing on George Island,the captain sent a radio message to the
He is determined to continue his experiment but this time he'll do it another way.
When she read the novel,she couldn't help thinking of the five years she had spent in the
Mary thought it difficult to carry out her plan all by herself.6)我们认为他不能在一刻钟内走完那段距离，但他却成功地做到了这一点。
We didn't think he could cover the distance in a quarter of an hour, but he succeeded in doing it.
Even after his doctor told him he had lung cancer, Chichester would not give up his old dream of
sailing round the world.
I was busy making a new device for catching rats when Mark came and dragged me out to a
附: Reading Activity及Guided Writing
1) He is old.
2) Swim the English Channel.
3) They thought he was crazy.
4)Because they think the Channel is the greatest challenge to them
5) He wanted to be the oldest person ever to swim the Channel.6) He is doing his training hard and swims 7 and a half milesa day.
7) He doesn't think much of that swimmer.
8) No, she didn't.
9) He wrote this article before he attempted the Channel.1) F. He began training to swim the English Channel at the ageof 56.
2) F. He was asked the question over and over.
3) F. He does offer answers, though in an indirect way.4) T.
5) F. He trained fairly hard.
6) F. The main reason is that he was not mentally ready.7) T.
1) He takes a cold shower every morning before going to work.2) I hate to see letters written in pencil.
3) The substance discovered almost by accident has
4)Because of a bad leg,he couldn't walk as fast as the others.5) We must keep a secret of the things being discussed here.6) We need someone to help us with the typing.
7) The question now is how to carry out the plan.
8) She won't go home until after the exam.
9)Among those taking part in the work,he is probably the most active.
10) She hurried back to school for fear of missing too manylessons.
11) Why don't you read something easier?
12) We are fully aware of the seriousness of the situation.大学英语精读第三版(上海外语教育出版社董亚芬主编)第一册Book1 Unit2答案