The plant does not grow well in soils other than the one in which it has been developed.
Research findings show that we spend about two hours dreaming every night, no matter what we may have done during the day.
Some people tend to justify their failure by blaming others for not trying their best.
We remain true to our commitment: Whatever we promised to do, we would do it.
Even Beethoven's father discounted the possibility that his son would one day become the greatest musician in the world. The same is true of Edison, who seemed to his teacher to be quite dull.
They were accused by the authorities of threatening the state security.
1. If you move into any place other than your own private home, make sure you know what the rules are about pets if you have one.
2. Some women could have made a good salary in job instead of staying at home, but they decided not to work for the sake of the family.
3. How can you justify such rudeness? You will pay heavily for that because they have sued you for damaging their good name.
4. Criticism can be of great use ; we may not like it at the time, but it can spur us on to greater things.
5. His uncompromising behavior, to which the public objected, left him bankrupt emotionally and financially.
6. Even if you fail, don’t let failure harm you, don’t let failure take over. Remember failure is a necessary in learning; it is not the end of your learning, but the beginning.
If the characters in this comedy had been more humorous, it would have attracted a larger audience.
She has never lost faith in her own ability, so it is a possibility for her to become a successful actress.
I never had formal training, I just learned as I went along.
As their products find their way into the international market, their brand is gaining in popularity.
She could make up a story by saying she was knocked unconscious by thieves and that all her money was gone, but she doubted whether she could make it sound believable.
No one was certain whether he postponed the visit on purpose, but this brought more criticism of him.
1. If there had been no Charlie Chaplin, the history of world cinema would have been different.
2. It was a relief that his hard work eventually gave his the result that he had long desired: He successfully discovered the cause of the disease.
3. Charlie Chaplin was one of the greatest and most widely loved movie stars. From The Tramp to Modern Times, he made many of the funniest and most popular films of his time. He was best known for his character, the youthful and lovable Little Tramp.
4. Chaplin was an immensely talented: Within only two years of his first appearance in motion pictures in 1914, he because one of the best-known personalities in the nation.
5. Chaplin had an impact on everyone’s life in the early 20th century. He made more people laugh than any other man who ever lived and changed the way people looked at the world.
6. On Christmas Day in 1977 Charlie Chaplin passed away. He left behind family and friends saddened by his death, and millions of fans worldwide.
Seven or eight officials are reported to have taken bribes and the mayor has decided to look into the affair in person.
These workers regret yielding to the management's advice and going back to work. Now they are again faced with the threat of losing their jobs.
You only need to fill out a form to get your membership, which entitles you to a discount on goods.
Their car broke down halfway for no reason. As a result they arrived three hours later than they had planned.
The official got involved in a scandal and was forced to resign weeks later.
The man living on welfare began to build up his own market, one step at a time and his business is thriving.
1. The man is reported to have said in private that “we are being made fools of by many of our clients, so we are entitled to have them how to us as compensations.”
2. After considering your background and experience, we regret to inform you that we don’t have an appropriate job opportunity for at current stage.
3. I failed to take my cue from Oscar. Instead, I talked back to the woman, who turned out to be our new manager.
4. There needs to be someone who can act as a champion for the rights of the poor because the system so easily lends itself to abuse.
5. I called the police for help after my car broke down on the freeway. Twenty minutes later, they came to my rescue.
6. He was passionate for art , but he went through tremendous pain-pain of poverty and misunderstanding.
Rather than invest in my education, my parents spent their money on a new house.
Today, people are spending twice as much on entertainment and relaxation as they did in the past.
In order to be successful, a business must keep pace with developments in the marketplace.
Her fluency in English gave her an advantage over other girls for the job.
For students, nowhere is better than the library, where all the books are at their disposal.
We should make full use of the platform to strengthen communication, expand cooperation in more areas and seek further development through joint efforts.
1. The developing countries see information technologies as a means to accelerate their economy, but some lack experience in weighing costs and choosing between technologies.
2. The world is said to have about 3000 times as much groundwater as water it has in rivers and lakes, and groundwater is far cleaner.
3. Anyone can take good photos- it’s just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.
4. By installing computers in their schools and libraries, the community leaders demonstrated that they were determined not to lag behind in technology.
5. When he started the company, he thought he’d be able to cruise alongside the top businesses in the market, but he is disappointed because he hasn’t yet succeeded.
6. A Florida couple is building what say will be the home of the future, one strong enough to withstand hurricanes, yet gentle enough to blend in with the environment.
This little man is not so innocent as he appears.
There's nothing I can do about the problem, so you might as well turn to Professor Wang for help.
Both sides speak highly of the fruits in their cooperation in different areas, and hope that the cooperation can be furthered.
4. 一方面，亲民形象能使新政策更易于被民众接受，另一方面，它也能“广直言之路，启进善之门”。On the one hand, an image of being close to the people can get a new policy more easily accepted. On the other hand, it will "encourage people to speak their minds and come up with constructive suggestions".
His sense of loneliness rose and fell and he sometimes would talk at length to himself and his pets and the television.
The richest people are not necessarily the happiest.
1. The new mechanism is not so effective as they had expected, for months passed and there has been no big improvement in management efficiency.
2. I don’t want to scare you unnecessarily, but you might as well face facts and look at a few numbers.
3. Loneliness is marked by a sense of isolation. Solitude, on the other hand, is a state of being alone without being lonely and can lead to self-awareness.
4. Loneliness is a negative state. One feels that something is missing. It is possible to be with people and still feel
lonely- perhaps the bitterest form of loneliness.
5. Solitude is a positive state of engagement with oneself. Solitude is desirable, a state of being alone where you provide yourself wonderful and sufficient company.
6. Thoreau says that loneliness can occur even amid companions if one’s heart is not open to them.
Suppose you found out that your colleague takes bribes, would you just ignore it?
We've given up on him because he is so stubborn. It is pointless to argue with him.
He hit upon a good method to speed up the progress of the experiment, but opinions differed among members of the group on it.
Today I'm able to square my profession with my interest, which I wasn't able to do before.
The ability to visually distinguish between red and green is essential to becoming a driver.
The team consisted of seven people who met on a regular basis to share their information with each other.
1. Suppose you were offered a bribe in exchange for a promise, what would you do—receive it or stand by your principles.
2. Nowadays, people wouldn’t put up with those terrible circumstances, but in those days it was accepted as a fact of life.
3. Cheating in various forms is on the increase in colleges and universities, and I have lost count of the number of students who were caught cheating this semester.
4. Mr. Aichi had to withdraw himself from the competition for the position of state governor when it was revealed that he had been on the take.
5. While originally he had been fully in support of the reform policies, later he began to attack the reform movement.
6. The professor definitely will not agree with the point that translation amounted to little more than looking up words in dictionaries.
1. In the process of creating the genetic map, these scientists realized that cooperation was more than
an attractive option; it was a responsibility.
2. Their research findings were nothing less than a miracle. As a result of their findings, new light has
been shed on the history of human genes.
3. In fact, only hard work in combination with proper methods will give you an advantage over others.
4. The judge said the punishment would serve as a warning to others.
5. The risk of infection is confined to those who have close contact with the patients.
6. From such an analysis we are in a better position to understand what has happened and what to do