1。无论你是多么富有经验的演说家，无论你做了多么充分的准备，你都很难再这样嘈杂的招待会上发表演讲（no matter how）
No matter how experienced a speaker you are, and how well you have prepared your speech, you will have difficulty making a speech at such a noisy reception.
Just as all his sister’s friends cared about him, Jimmy cared about them.
3．汽车生产商在新车的几处都印有汽车识别号码，以便帮助找回被盗的车辆。（track down）Car manufacturers stamp a vehicle identification number at several places on new cars to help track down stolen vehicles.
If you dare tell on me when the teacher gets back I won’t say a word to you any more.
5．有些老年人愿意独自过日子，但大多数老人选择和儿女一起生活。（on one’s own）Some elderly people prefer to live on their own while the great majority choose to live with their children.
Here is something that needs to be reckoned with: how to get the necessary finances to establish the company.
1。被告是位年仅30岁的女子，她坚持称自己无罪。（use an appositive）
The defendant, a woman of only 30, kept insisting on her own innocence.
2．总体看来，枣、豆类以及一些多叶的绿色蔬菜是最好的铁质来源。（use an absolute structure）
All things considered, dates, beans and some leafy green vegetables are the best sources of iron.
No beverages are served with meals because they interfere with digestion.
Taking the popularity of the region into consideration, it is advisable to book hotels in advance.
If you have a feeling of wanting to throw up after taking this drug, stop taking it immediately and consult your doctor as soon as possible.
Summing up the discussion, he said both parties should consider the most effective way to solve the problem.
1. 在思维方面，与他的行为一样，他是非常传统的。(use “as”with the meaning of “in the way that, in the manner that, like”)
In his thinking, as in his behavior, he is very traditional.
2. 教师一旦同意接受新的教学计划，他们就得面对新计划所带给他们的压力。(use “once”as a conjunction with the meaning “from the moment that”)
Once the teachers agree to accept the new teaching program, they have to face the strain it puts on them.
3. 从长远看，大学毕业后继续深造而不是直接参加工作是值得的。（in the long run, worthwhile）
In the long r un, it is worthwhile to pursue one’s study after graduating from university instead of going to work directly.
4. 由于这所学校的办学宗旨是品德第一，所以道德观和学习成绩受到同样的重视。（operate on）
As the school operates on the Character First principle, moral values and academic achievements are stressed equally.
5. 据说，原定于这个月召开的会议将推迟到下个月召开。（Be scheduled to, put off）
It is said that the meeting, which is scheduled to be held this month, will be put off till next month.
6. 这所学校把为学生做好人生准备当作其职责，办法是倡导一整套能使所有学生受益的道德标准（see …as）
The school sees its job as preparing its students for life by cultivating a comprehensive set of principles that can benefit all of them.
1. 从各方面考虑，这座城市都是世界上最令人激动的城市。（Use an absolute structure）Everything considered, this city is the world’s most exciting city.
2. 尽管没有得到父母的赞同，他还是继续他的计划出国学习。（Use the structure of “conjunction + prepositional phrase”, go ahead）
Though with no approval from his parents, he went ahead with his plan to study abroad.
3. 这座桥是以一位人民英雄的名字命名的，这位英雄为人民的事业献出了生命。（name after）
The bridge was named after the hero who gave his life for the cause of people.
4. 据说，画家是以他母亲为模特的。他母亲的面容沧桑却不失坚定。（It is said…）
It is said that the painter used his mother as the model in the painting whose face represented suffering yet strength.
5. 这位作家于1950年因出版一本小说而一举成名，小说的灵感来自于他和一位姑娘在农场的经历。（rise to fame）
The write instantly rose to fame in 1950 with the publication of a novel inspired by his experience with a girl on a farm.
6. 有个故事说，US是“山姆大叔”的缩写，“山姆大叔”原名叫山姆威尔逊，他曾和一名男子一起工作，这名男子和美国政府签订了一份合同，给军队提供肉食。（short for）
One stor y says that “US” was short for “Uncle Sam” whose real name was Sam Wilson, who had once worked with a man who had signed a contract with the government to provide meat to the US Army.
1. 直到看见弥留之际躺在床上的母亲，他才意识到自己是多么地爱她。（Use “not until”at the beginning）
Not until he saw his mother lying in bed, dying, did he realize how much he loved her.
2. 考虑到他最近的身体状况，我认为他这次考试成绩还不错。（Use a present participle as adverbial）
Taking into account of his recent physical condition, I think he has done quite well in the exam.
3. 克拉克夫人躺在床上一动不动，一时间我都纳闷她是否还活着。（wonder if）
Mrs. Clark lies in bed motionless, and I wonder briefly if she is still alive.
4. 整栋楼一片黑暗，只有三楼的某个窗户透出一丝光。（except for）
The building was darkened except for a single light burning in a third-storey window.
5. 这些士兵接受了严格的训练，并且对完成这项新任务有充分的准备。（be equipped）These soldiers have received very strict training and are well equipped to fulfill the new task.
6. 他伸手拿起电话，拨通了宾馆的号码。（reach for）
He reached for the phone, picked it up, and dialed the hotel’s number.
1。我们应该尽最大努力预测地震，这样地震造成的财产破坏才会被尽可能的避免。（Use “so that”）
We should try our best to forecast earthquakes so that destruction of property caused by them could be prevented as much as possible.
A farmer noticed large schools of fish swimming near the surface of the water, which, he said, indicated the possible occurrence of an earthquake.
3．要将英英词典放在手边。当你不能准确的理解单词时，你就能随时查阅。（keep something handy）
Keep an English-English dictionary handy, and when you cannot understand a word with accuracy you may refer to it any time.
If necessary, people who live in the area where an earthquake is about to occur may sleep in tents.
5．对一个想要找工作的学生来说，有没有硕士学位的确有很大影响。（make a difference）A master’s degree does make a great difference to a student who wants to get a job.
6．这本书除了告诉我们地震方面的知识外，还告诉我们如何做好预防工作。（in addition to）In addition to the knowledge about earthquakes, the book tells us how to prepare for them. night.
1. So, an interesting question remains as to how far Microsoft can go with Gates as CEO.
2. There’s/It’s no use complaining since it can never change anything. What’s important is to take measures to prevent similar events from happening again.
3. Learn to accept the fact that some people you thought were friends turn out to be enemies.
4. As you would expect from the book’s title, there are many references to what kind of person Gates is.
5. The prosperity of the company stems from the entire staff’s diligence and thrift.
6. He said nothing at all on the subject of the play which was on for the first time Saturday night.
1. 那个建议听起来很诱人，但如果是个骗局怎么办？（what if）
It sounds like a good idea, but what if it’s a trick?
2. 这一地区的城镇因为地震遭受了很大的损失，受灾最严重的地方包括九江和瑞昌。（with + n. + prepositional phrase）
Cities and towns in this area suffered a lot from the earthquake with Jiujiang and Ruichang among the worst-hit.
3. 他抱怨说，他们压根儿就不应该参与这件事。（in the first place）
He complained that they should not have got involved in it in the first place.
4. 看在玛丽的份上，我可以把车借给你，以解决你的交通工具问题。（for sb.’s sake, get around）
For Mary’s sake, I can lend you my car to get around your transport problem.
5. 理论上说，克隆一个孩子以获取器官是可行的，但实际上这么做却可能对孩子的心理有害。（in theory）
In theory it’s feasible to clone a child to harvest organs, but in practi ce it would be psychologically harmful to the child.
6. 他以Braver为笔名发表了一片文章，强调克隆动物的过程也同样适用于克隆人类这一观点。（under the name of）
He published an article under the name of Braver which stresses the idea that the process of cloning animals would work for humans as well.
Unit 9 1. 昨天传来消息说，他们在试图登上顶峰时遇难了。（while + V- ing）
Word came yesterday that they were killed while trying to reach the summit.
2. 我不会向任何人提起我曾拒绝她的邀请，没有去参加她的婚礼。（under no circumstances）Under no circumstances shall I mention to anyone that I have turned down the invitation to her wedding.
3. 总裁夫人威胁要公开揭发丈夫，这件事成了头条新闻。（make the headlines）
It made the headlines that the president’s wife threatened her husband with public exposure.
4. 那位富有的女士再三要求签订婚前协议，令其未婚夫自尊心大受伤害，结果以拒婚告终。（end up）
That wealthy lady’s repea ted demand for a premarital agreement greatly harmed her prospective husband’s self-esteem and ended up in his refusal to get married.
5. 确实有些妇女坚持认为，在丈夫挣的钱不如她们期待的那么高的情况下，她们有权要求离婚。（make no mistake about it, insist on）
Make no mistakes about it, some women would insist on the right to get a divorce if their husbands did not earn as much as they expected.
6. 偶然发现的指纹有助于弄清他一直在调查的凶杀案。（shed light on）
The casual discovery of the fingerprint shed some light on the murder he had been looking into.