Key to Exercises (unit 1)
I. 1). respectable 2) .agony 3). put down 4). sequence 4). rigid 5). hold back
6). distribute 7). off and on 8). vivid
9). associate 10). finally 11). turn in 12). tackle
2. 1) has been assigned to the newspaper’s Paris office
2) was so extraordinary that I didn’t know whether to believe him or not
3) a clear image of how she would look in twenty year s’ time
4) gave the command the soldiers opened fire
5) buying bikes we’ll keep turning them out
3.1) reputation/rigid / to inspire 2) and tedious / what’s more / out of date ideas 3) compose / career / avoid showing / hardly hold back
II. 1). composed 2). severe 3) agony 4). extraordinary
5). recall 6). command
7). was violating 8). anticipate
III. 1. at 2. for 3. of 4. with
9. from 10. on/upon
(1) hold back (2) tedious (3) scanned (4) recall
(5) vivid (6) off and on (7) turn out/in (8) career
(1) last (2) surprise (3) pulled (4) blowing (5) dressed (6) scene
(7) extraordinary (8)image (9)turn (11) excitement
1 1) As it was a formal dinner party, I wore formal dress, as Mother told me to.
2) His girlfriend advised him to get rid of /get out of his bad habit of smoking before it took hold.
3) Anticipating that the demand for electricity will be high during the next few months, they have decided to increase its production.
4) It is said that Bill has been fired for continually violating the company’s safety rules./Bill is said to have been fired for continually violating the company’s safety rules.
5) It is reported that government has taken proper measures to avoid the possibility of a severe water shortage./The local government is reported to have taken proper measures to avoid the possibility of a severe water shortage.
Susan lost her legs because of/in a car accident. For a time, she didn’t know how to face up to the fact that she would never be able to walk again.
One day, while scanning （through）some magazines, a true story caught her eye/she was attracted by a true story. It gave a vivid description of how a disabled girl became a writer. Greatly inspired, Susan began to feel that she , too, would finally be able to lead a useful life.
Key to exercises Unit 2
1. 1) absolutely 2) available 3) every now and then
4) are urging/ urged 5) destination
6) mostly 7) hangs out 8) right away 9) reunion
10)or something 11)estimate
12) going ahead
1) It seemed that his failure in the examination was still on his mind.
2) He was completely chocked up by the sight of his team losing in the final minutes of the game.
3) She was so lost in study that she forgot to have dinner.
4) Something has come up and I am afraid i won't be able to accomplish the project on time.
5) The cost of equipping the new hospital was estimated at $2 million.
1) were postponed ... the awful ...is estimated
2) reference ... not available ... am kind of
3) not much of a teacher... skips...go head
1). more or less; 2). kind of/ sort of
3). Something 4). kind of/ sort of
5). more or less 6). or something
I. (A) 1) choked up 2) awful 3) practically 4) neighborhood
5) correspondence 6) available 7) destination
8) reunion 9) Mostly 10)postponing 11) absolutely
(B) 1) how 2)savings 3) embarrassment 4) phone 5)interrupted
6)touch 7)envelope 8) signed 9) message
1.1) Half an hour had gone by, but the last bus hadn’t come yet. We had to walk home.
2) Mary looks as if she is very worried about the Chinese exam because she hasn’t learned the texts by heart.
3) Since the basketball match has been postponed, we might as well visit the museum.
4) He stayed in Australia with his parents all the way through World War II.
5) Since I graduated from nanjing University in 1985, I have kind of lost touch with my classmates.
2. It is not easy to keep in touch with friends when they are far away. This is certainly true in my case.
It has been a couple of years since I left my old meighborhood and all the friends I had there. I've been meaning to write to them but something or other comes up and I just don't seem to find the time. They are always on my mind, however, and I think I will certainly make an effort to keep