5.at the sight of
2. sprang up/rang out
4. came to
5. track down
10. emerge / spring up
11. at the sight of
12. made for
1. Jimmy has outgrown the shirts his aunt made for him a few years ago.
2. Does the doctor think the elderly lady is likely to survive the operation / it is likely that the elderly lady will survive the operation?
3. The other day your cousin paid us an unexpected visit.
4. Don't you see the nurse motioning us to be silent?
5. Her face lit up with joy at his return.
6. The sound of her footsteps grew fainter as she walked farther away.
1.The people questioned gave very different opinions on the issue.
2. Can you see the man climbing on that rock?
3. Several days passed before they came up with a satisfactory solution to the problems discussed.
4. We were woken early by the sound of the birds singing.
5. The chairman made it clear that those objecting should explain their reasons.
6. After a day’s work, I felt I had little ener gy left.
7. I knew of some of the athletes taking part.
8. The success obtained surprised those who had given up the project as impossible.
1. During the time that
2. As long as
4. as long as
1. They frightened the child into telling the truth.
2. He tricked her into marrying him by pretending that he was the son of a millionaire.
3. My tactless words forced the old gentleman into buying something he could not possibly afford.
4. He finally talked me into accepting his terms.
5. The girl persuaded her father into giving up smoking.
6. Their severe criticism shocked her into realizing her selfishness.
1. Guests are to be back in the hotel by twelve o’clock.
2. An investigation is to be made next week.
3. I am to meet them at the airport.
4. You are to finish your homework before you watch TV.
5. The medicine is to be taken three times a day after meals.
6. Bob and Susan are to get married in October