1. 这个婴儿还不会爬(crawl)，更不要说走了。(let alone)
(claim, in one's opinion)
3. 一定程度上阅读速度与阅读技巧密切相关；有了阅读技巧，你就可以更好地应对课外阅读了。(to a certain extent, relate …to …, cope with)
4. 根据规则他俩都可以参加比赛。(according to)
5. 有些人想当然地认为日语(Japanese)中的每一个词在汉语中都有对应的词语。(assume, equivalent)
6. 我们已将所有的相关信息告知了警方。 (relevant)
7. 关于那件事你问我再多的问题也没用，因为我是不会回答你的。(it's no use)
8. 事先没有仔细阅读合同(contract)就签了名是吉姆的错误。(on one's part)
9. 他们拒绝向我们提供所需要的全部信息。(provide … with)
10. 这起事故与三年前发生的一起事故极为相似。(similar to)
11. 这部影片是根据莎士比亚的戏剧改编的。(base on)
12. 如果你的英语和电脑技能都掌握得好，那么你在谋职时就一定比别人更有优势。(have an advantage over)
1. The baby can't even crawl yet, let alone walk!
2. Will claimed he was dining with a group of friends at the time of the murder, but in my opinion he told a lie.
3. To a certain extent the speed of reading is closely related to reading skills; and with reading skills you can cope with outside class reading better.
4. According to the regulation/rule, they both can play the game/participate in the game.
5. Some people assume that there is a Chinese equivalent for every Japanese word.
6. We have passed all relevant information on to the police.
7. There is no use asking me any more questions about that matter because I won't answer.
8. It was a mistake on Jim's part to sign the contract without reading it carefully.
9. They refused to provide us with all the information we need.
10. This accident is very similar to the one that happened three years ago.
11. The film is based on a play by Shakespeare.
12. If you have a good command of English and computer skills, you will surely have an advantage over others in finding a job.
1. 很多老师不赞同这种做法。(frown on)
2. 当我想从草地上穿过去的时候，有位老人在旁边怒视着我。(glare at)
4. 我的大孩子比较听话, 而小的那个非常倔。我现在还常回想起小的孩子在中学毕业后是如何执意要出国读书的。(whereas, stubborn, recall)
6. 每当做母亲的拿弟弟跟哥哥做比较，弟弟就要抗议。(compare with, protest)
7. 当他初到这个新学校的时候，发现自己与其他同学格格不入。(fit in with)
(no wonder, end up in trouble)
10. 他花了整整两年的时间才慢慢适应了这个新环境。(adapt to)
1. Many teachers frowned on this practice.
2. An old man glared at me when I was trying to cut across the lawn.
3. When I mentioned my father, she showed a smile of recognition on her face.
4. My first born was quite obedient, whereas my younger child was very stubborn. I can still recall now how the younger child insisted on going abroad to study after he finished his secondary school.
5. Countries in South East Asia sustained great losses when the tsunami struck the area.
6. Every time the mother tries to compare the younger brother with his elder brother, the younger one will protest.
7. He found himself unable to fit in with his classmates when he first came to this school.
8. The fury on her face terrified me. I dared not say no to her again.
9. No wonder you ended up in trouble. You never followed your parents' advice.
10. It took him two years to adapt to the new environment. Unit 3
1 . 威廉非常喜欢那女孩子，所以他尽力讨好她，并且很有信心可以赢得她的心。(impress; optimistic)
2 . 他有创造性，对未来也有很好的判断力, 可就是喜欢秘而不宣。(creative; vision; keep sth. to oneself)
3 . 他们来自一个贫穷的小山村，那里的人们远离现代文明。(shut off)
4 . 我们要努力工作，争取达到我们所订下的目标。
(achieve the goals; make an/the effort)
5 . 我们应该满足于我们所拥有的一切，不该对周围的事情过分吹毛求疵。
(be content with; critical)
6 . 他们经常代表学校参加辩论比赛；今晚我们将聚会庆祝他们的成功。(represent; throw a party)
7 . 通过读书，他不仅开阔了视野，而且学会了不断完善自己的人格。(expand one’s horizons; improve)
8 . 为把那个女孩从火中救出，两名警察牺牲了他们的生命。(sacrifice)
9 . 稳定的、无冲突的夫妻关系对家庭中的孩子有好处。(stable, conflict)
1. William likes the girl a lot so he tries very hard to impress her and is optimistic that he will win her heart.
2. He is very creative and has a good vision of the future, but he likes to keep things to himself.
3. They came from a poor village where people were shut off from modern civilization.
4. We must work hard and make an effort to achieve the goals that we have set.
5. We should learn to be content with all that we have and should not be too critical about things around us.
6. They often represent our school in debating competitions; tonight we will throw a party to celebrate their success.
7. Through reading, not only has he expanded his horizon, he has also learned to keep improving his character.
8. Two policemen sacrificed their lives in order to save that girl from the fire.
9. A stable relationship without conflicts between husband and wife benefits the children in the family.
1. 我们一知道成绩就互相联系吧! (get in touch, as soon as)
2. 那音乐激起他强烈的思乡之情。 (arouse)
3. 你已工作一个上午了，该休息一下了。 (deserve)
4. 我刚躺下，电话铃就响了。 (no sooner ... than...)
5. 医生说我疲劳过度，劝我不要再接受更多的工作。 (take on)
6. 珍妮自愿负责聚会后的清洁打扫工作。 (volunteer)
7. 演讲的题目提前一个星期宣布，但是演讲者的名字不会提前告知。(in advance)
8. 你的考试成绩没有达到所要求的标准，换句话说，你考试不及格。(in other words)
9. 她病得很厉害，必须停止工作。 (leave off)
10. 现在没办法知道结果会怎样，案子的决定权在法官手里，我们所能做的就是等待。 (in the hands of)
1. Let’s get in touch as soon as we know the results of the test/exam.
2. The music aroused an intense feeling of homesickness in him.
3. You’ve been working all morning — you deserve a rest now.
4. I had no sooner lain down than the telephone rang. Or: No sooner had I lain down than the telephone rang.
5. My doctor says I’m too tired and has advised me not to take on any more work.
6. Jenny volunteered to clear up after the gathering.
7. The subject of the talk is announced a week in advance, but the name of the speaker is not.
8. Your performance in the exam did not reach the required
standard — in other words, you failed.
9. She was so ill that she had to leave off work.
10. There is no way to tell what is going to happen. The case is in the hands of the judge, and all we could do is (to) wait.
（keep sth. from, take sb. by surprise）
（matter, lose confidence in）
3. 昨天晚上他和我聊天，并安慰我说，这种病并不难治，还没人死于这种病。（chat with, assure, die of）
4. 她决心用钢铁般的意志来克服生活中的种种障碍。（determined, a will of iron, obstacle）
5. 事实是他早就收到我的钱了，却有意不给我回条确认。这实在让我气坏了。（turn out, acknowledge, drive sb. crazy）
6. 他是个害羞和沉静的男孩，在走上讲台叙述自己的经历之前，他悄悄地坐在礼堂的一角集思冥想。（gather one’s thoughts）
7. 他当场承认他要出国留学，因为他相信国外的教育会给他将来的研究工作打开大门。（admit, spot, open doors/the door to）
8. 看到自己的侄女几年内就长成了一个美丽的姑娘，玛丽的叔叔的脸上满是笑容。（turn into, light up）
1. We are good friends; however, he kept such an important matter from me, which took me by surprise.
2. It doesn’t matter if you can not get full marks for the exam; what matters is not to lose confidence in yourself.
3. He chatted with me last night and reassured me that the disease was not hard to cure and that nobody had ever died of it.
4. She was determined to overcome all the obstacles in her life with a will of iron.
5. It turned out that he had already received my money, but did not acknowledge the receipt of it on purpose. This really drove me crazy.
6. He is a shy and silent boy. Before he went onto the stage to share his experiences, he sat quietly in a corner of the auditorium, gathering his thoughts.
7. He admitted on the spot that he would go overseas for further study as he believed overseas education would open the door to his future research.
8. Mary’s uncle’s face lit up when he saw his niece had turned
into a pretty young lady in just a few years.
1. 直起身来，脚要跟上音乐拍子。（straighten up, keep time to）
2. 她将一张纸条悄悄地塞在了他的手中。他看了以后很不高兴，以为她在取笑他。（slip into, make fun of）
3. 小偷被抓住时，求我们饶恕他。他说他偷食物是因为他的妈妈快饿死了，家里几乎一点吃的都没有了。（plead, barely）
4. 既然他们要求更多的电力供应，我们应该满足他们的需要，减轻他们的压力。（request, release）
5. 他们将酒瓶传了一圈，每人喝了一口后，就向森林深处走去。（make the rounds，set out for）
6. 我的电视机坏了, 我马上在网上订购了一台新的。网上商店会派人送货上门。（break down, deliver）
7. 他的话令所有的人不快，大家都停止了吃饭。过了一会儿，大家继续吃饭，但每个人都看上去心事重重。（resume, weigh on）8. 像他这么一个一向温文尔雅的人居然如此粗鲁地打断我们。我们都无法置信地看着他。（interrupt, in disbelief）
1. Straighten up! Your feet should keep time to the rhythm of the music.
2. She slipped a note into his hand. He was very unhappy after
reading it, as he thought that she was making fun of him.
3. The thief pleaded for our mercy when he was caught. He said he had stolen the food because his mother was starving to death and there was barely any food left in the house.
4. They have made a request for more electricity supplies, which we should satisfy in order to release them from the pressure they are under.
5. They made the rounds with the wine bottle; each took a gulp and then they set out for the forest.
6. My TV set broke down; I have ordered a new one online and the shop is going to have it delivered to the door.
7. His words made everyone unhappy and stop eating. After a while, they resumed eating, but they all looked as if something was weighing on their minds.
8. We stared at him in disbelief, astonished that someone as gentle as he is could interrupt us so rudely.
1. 我们刚开始一个新的工作，肯定会有很多东西不熟悉。(be bound to)
2. 这种新药已经成功地用在动物身上，但这并不意味着它在人类身上也适用。 (be applied to)
3. 他这次演讲比赛没能得第一名主要是因为他缺乏信心。(lack of)
4. 对于一般人来说，忧郁症（depression）很容易跟压力混淆，因为忧郁症也可以是某些压力的反应。(be confused with)
5. 世界粮食的生产将越来越难跟上世界人口的日益增长。 (keep pace with)
6. 要成功地得到一份工作，需要很多因素一起发挥作用，这些因素包括你的技能、文凭和工作经验。(come into play)
1. Whenever we start a new job, there are bound to be a lot of things we may not be familiar with.
2. This new medicine/drug has successfully been used on animals, but this doesn’t mean that it can be applied to humans.
3. His failure to win the first prize in the speech competition is largely due to his lack of confidence.
4. To the general public, depression can be easily confused with stress, as it may be a response to some types of stress.
5. It is becoming increasingly difficult for world food production to keep pace with the continuing growth of the world’s population.
6. To successfully get a job, a lot of factors need to come into play, including your skills, diploma and work experience.