Unit 1 Growing Up
Part II Language Focus
7.off and on
9.associate 10.finally 11.turn in
1. has been assigned to the newspaper’s Paris office.
2. was so ext raordinary that I didn’t know whether to believe him or not.
3. a clear image of how she would look in twenty years’ time.
4. gave the command the soldiers opened fire.
5. buying bikes we’ll keep turning them out.
1. reputation, rigid, to inspire
2. and tedious, What’s more, out of date ideas
3. compose, career, avoid showing, hardly hold back
7.was violating 8.anticipate
6.off and on
7.extraordinary 8.image 9.turn 10.excitement
1. As it was a formal dinner party, I wore formal dress, as Mother told me to.
2. His girlfriend advised him to get out of/get rid of his bad habit of smoking
before it took hold.
3. Anticipating that the demand for electricity will be high during the next few
months, they have decided to increase its production.
4. It is said that Bill has been fired for continually violating the company’s
safety rules. /Bill is said to have been fired for continually violating the company’s safety rules. 5. It is reported that the government has taken proper measures to avoid the
possibility of a severe water shortage. /The local government is reported to have taken proper measures to avoid the possibility of a severe water shortage.
Susan lost her legs because of / in a car accid ent. For a time, she didn’t know how to face up to the fact that she would never (be able to) walk again. One day, while scanning (through) some magazines, a true story caught her eye /she was attracted by a true story. It gave a vivid description
of how a disabled girl became a writer. Greatly inspired, Susan began to feel that she, too, would finally be bale to lead a useful life.
I. V ocabulary
1. Fill in the gaps with words or phrases given in the box.
1) absolutely 2) available 3) every now and then 4) are urging/ urged
5) destination 6) mostly 7) hangs out 8) right away 9) reunion
10) or something 11) estimate 12) going ahead
1) It seemed that his failure in the examination was still on his mind.
2) He was completely choked up by the sight of his team losing in the final minutes of the game.
3) She was so lost in study that she forgot to have dinner.
4) Something has come up and I am afraid I won’t be able to accomplish the project on time.
5) The cost of equipping the new hospital was estimated at $2 million.
3. Complete the sentences.
1) were postponed the awful is estimated
2) reference not available an kind of
3) not much of a teacher skips go ahead
1.more or less
2.kind of/ sort of
4.kind of/ sort of
5.more or less
7.envelop 8.signed 9.message 10.needed
1. Translate the sentences.
1) Half an hour had gone by, but the last bus hadn’t come yet. We had to w alk home.
2) Mary seems to be very worried about the Chinese exam because she hasn’t learned the texts by heart.
3) Since the basketball match has been postponed, we might as well visit the museum.
4) He stayed in Australia with his parents all the way through WWⅡ.
5) Since I graduated from Nanjing University in 1985, I have kind of lost touch with my classmates.
2. Translate the passage.
It is not easy to keep in touch with friends far away. This is true in my case. It has been a couple of years since I left my old neighborhood and all the friends there. I have been meaning to write to them but things come up and I just don’t seem to find the time. They are always on my mind,
however, and I think I will certainly make an effort to keep up correspondence with them in the future.
I V ocabulary
1) brief 2) in terms of 3) cut off 4) tend
5) anyway 6)precise 7)in the form of 8) initiative
9) convey 10) in two minds 11) concept 12) grasp
1) has ensured their team a place in the Cup final.
2)medical worke rs’ responsibility to heal the wounded and rescue the dying.
3)entertain as well as educate the learner.
4)can do without air and water.
5)is likely to be held in June.
1)lies in contact between
2)basis of is likely sufficient at the moment
3)the steady will be highly
II Word Formation
1)majority 2) accpeted 3)increased 4)weaknesses
5) local 6) late 7)wrong 8)false
1)highly 2)bring about 3)evident 4)rate 5)sufficient
6)put across 7)proportion 8)Hence 9)ensure
1)understand 2)travel 3)practical 4)use 5)Another
6)likely 7)affect 8)developments 9)supply 10) Someday
1) As is predicted by scientists, global pollution has become one of the most serious problems humans are faced with.
2) Competition for these jobs is very tough –we have five times as many applicants this year as we did last year/ there are five times as many applicants this year as there were last year.
3) As the facts show, educational programs need to fit into the national plan for economical development.
4) The car burns too much gas, and moreover, the price is almost twice as much as I intend to pay.
5) To understand a great international event, we, first of all, need to consider the historical and political background to it.
2 It is hard to imagine how our forefathers could do without so many conveniences that modern technology has brought about. Back then only a small proportion of the population enjoyed the
comforts of life. The majority didn’t even have sufficient food, not to speak of/ let alone the privilege of being educated. However, many people blame modern technology for creating so many problems. They want to slow down the rate of progress. But no one can put the clock back. Unit 4
1) wreck 2) balance 3) approaching 4) handle
5) discard 6) Above all 7) diet 8) do with
9) checked on 10) cleaned up 11) weekly 12) principles
1) to look for survivors were abandoned after it had been/was determined that all the people in the sunken ship had died.
2) was amazed that Bob left a well-paid job travel around the world.
3) for a loan has been turned down by many a bank as her business is small and she could provide no guarantee.
4) express her thoughts with precision, so people often misunderstand her.
5) will weaken our determination to modernize our country in the shortest possible time.
1) for sale hunting for be amazed by
2) become skilled handle their loans
3)character by calling on he passed away
II Confusable words
1. 1) personal 2) personnel
2. 1) sometime 2) Sometimes 3)some time 4) sometime
1)sponsored 2)determination 3) turned away 4) assumed 5) capacity
6)skilled 7)loan 8) character 9) hunting 10) for sale 11) send for
1)save 2)recent 3)modest 4) grow 5) dream
6) immigrants 7)business 8) engineering 9)invest 10) rich
1) It is reported that UN mediators have worked out a plan which they hope
will be acceptable to both sides.
2) Doris walked in the forest cautiously, afraid of being attacked by giant
3) Earthquakes, typhoons and other natural disaters cannot be prevented, but
action can be taken to protect life and property.
4) I bought a new issue of my favorite sports magazine and hurried home,
anxious to amuse myself reading it.
5) Helen lacks confidence. I’ve never known anyone so unsure of herself. 2.
After graduating from college, Tony decided to start his own business. At the beginning, many a
bank turned down his request for a loan. But he was not a bit discouraged, and continued to call on one banker after another seeking help. Impressed by his determination and optimism, one banker finally agreed to loan him the money. Now he has become a wealthy businessman. Talking about his amazing achievement, Tony says that it is important to create rather than wait for opportunities. Unit 5
1) monthly 2) acquaintances 3)classic 4) look; in the eye 5)manufactured
6) options 7)finance 8) replacement 9) survived 10) pick out 11) married 12) grabbed at
1) survived a car crash that killed both her parents.
2) almost embarrassed to death when Sarah read my poem out to the whole
3) of the Children’s Hospital will care for the seriously injured pupils.
4) several phone calls making inquiries about the position of the Chief Financial Officer.
5) straighten out all your financial problems if you join our club.
1) inquiry; died of hunger; people survied2) Instantly; give up his; retire; replace him; executive 3) his beloved; odd jobs; and all that
II Word Formation
competition 7. conceivable 8.respectable
1. the poor
2. The deceased/The dead
3. the disabled
4. the French
accused 6. the young 7. the unemployed 8. the latter…the former…
1) died of 2) instantly 3) classic 4)ask around 5) surviving 6) retire 7)executive
8) replacement 9）stock 10) look…in the eye
1) impressed 2) diligence 3) Instead 4) Contrary 5) professionally 6) perform 7)
personal 8) balance 9) commitment 10) revealed
1) I’m not sure wh ere you can find a good carpenter---you’d better ask around.
2) Feeling a little embarrassed, he quickly cleared his throat and looked up at the painting on the wall.
3) Michael was survived by three sons, two daughters, and his wife Elizabeth.
4) As a financial expert, William advised us to invest our money in the stock market.
5) We small retailers can’t compete with supermarkets in pricing and sales. 2.
My dad is a hard-working executive of a manufacturing firm. He works six days a week. Every day he has to straighten out various kinds of problems so that he often stays up late/nights. However, he tries his best to balance/maintain balance between work and family. On Sundays my
dad usually stays at home and cares for us as much as he can. To my greatest joy, he cooks our favorite dished and plays ball with us.
Unit 6 Homework
8.Thrust 9.Keen 10.Bud 11.Previous 12.Whichever
1) The sickly smell of carpets and furniture in the bedroom disgusts me.
2) Mary stopped corresponding with Henry after the death of her mother.
3) A radio transmitter is best located at an isolated place far from cities.
4) I was so absorbed in the game on TV that I didn’t hear Martin come in.
5) The rough surface of the basketball helps players grip the ball.
1) to broaden; make their way
2) disgusts; take a chance on
3) the grand; and overseas; reflected
1. 1) frightened 2) afraid/ frightened
2. 1) alike/similar 2) similar
3. 1) alive 2) living
4. 1) sleeping 2) asleep
1. 1) disappointed 2) disappointment 3) disappointing 4) disappoint
5) disappointingly 6) disappointing
2. 1) attractive 2) attract 3) attraction 4) attractively 5) unattractively 6) unattractive Comprehension Exercises
1) Identifying 2) gripped 3) margins 4)corresponding 5) overseas 6)little
7)hesitate 8)grateful 9) made my way 10) going my way
1)first 2)ring 3)Nor 4) another 5) threw 6) deliberately 7) reasoned
8) himself 9) restaurant 10) matter
1) Before I went off to university, my grandfather gave me a few words of wisdom which impressed me deeply.
2) Never tell my parents about my injuries and I’ll be very grateful to you (for
3) At the meeting some of our colleagues put forward sensible suggestions
about improving our working environment.
4) The management has/have agreed to grant the workers a 10% pay rise in
response to union pressure.