She wouldn't take a drink, much less would she stay for dinner.
He thought I was lying to him, whereas I was telling the truth.
How do you account for the fact that you have been late every day this week?
The increase in their profits is due partly to their new market strategy.
Such measures are likely to result in the improvement of work efficiency.
We have already poured a lot of time and energy into the project, so we have to carry on.
1. I don't think that he would commit robbery, much less would he commit violent robbery.
2. Men earn ten dollars an hour on average, whereas women only seven dollars.
3. Once the balance in nature is disturbed, it will result in a number of possible unforeseeable effects.
4. The final examination is close at hand; you'd better spend more time reading.
5. What is interesting is that consumers find it increasingly difficult to identify the nationality of certain brands. This is due partly to globalization and partly to changes in the location of production.
6. A recent survey showed that women account for 40 percent of the total workforce.
Despite the fact that she is the only child in her family, she is never babied by her parents.
Mike didn't come to the party last night, nor did he call me to give an explanation.
The person sitting next to him did publish some novels, but he is by no means a great writer.
He has no interest in football and is indifferent to who wins or loses.
The manager needs an assistant that he can count on to take care of problems in his absence.
This is the first time that he has made a speech in the presence of so large an audience.
1. They persisted in carrying out the project despite the fact that it had proved unworkable at the very beginning.
2. I could not persuade him to accept the plan, nor could I make him see its importance.
3. How did you manage to pack so many things into such a small suitcase?
4. He is completely indifferent to what others think of him.
5. May I point out that you have made a small mistake?
6. His mother asked him to drive slowly, but he never took any notice of her words.
1. 你再怎么有经验，也得学习新技术。You are never too experienced to learn new techniques.
2. 还存在一个问题，那就是派谁去带领那里的研究工作。(Use an appositional structure.)
There remains one problem, namely, who should be sent to head the research there.
Their relationship did meet with some difficulty at the beginning because of cultural differences.
Though he has had ups and downs, I believed all along that he would succeed someday.
I have some reservations about the truth of your claim.
She isn't particularly tall, but her slim figure gives an illusion of height.
1. A person is never too young to receive the clear message that the law is to be taken seriously.
2. He's now faced with an important decision, a decision that can affect his entire future.
3. You must be calm and confident even when things are at their worst.
4. The success of a relationship has a lot to do with how compatible two people are and how well they communicate. 人际关系的成功与双方相处是否融洽以及交流是否顺畅有很大关系。
5. He was attacked and sustained severe injuries from which he subsequently died.
6. He behaved, at least on the surface, like a normal person.他的举止至少在表面上像个正常人。
1. 有朋自远方来，不亦乐乎？(Use "it" as the formal subject)
It is a great pleasure to meet friends from afar.
2. 不管黑猫白猫，能抓住老鼠就是好猫。(as long as)
It doesn't matter whether the cat is black or white as long as it catches mice.
3. 你必须明天上午十点之前把那笔钱还给我。(without fail)
You must let me have the money back without fail by ten o'clock tomorrow morning.
4. 请允许我参加这个项目，我对这个项目非常感兴趣。(more than + adjective)
Allow me to take part in this project: I am more than a little interested in it.
5. 人人都知道他比较特殊：他来去随意。(be free to do sth.)
Everyone knows that he is special:He is free to come and go as he pleases.
6. 看她脸上不悦的神色，我觉得她似乎有什么话想跟我说。(feel as though)
Watching the unhappy look on her face,I felt as though she wishes to say something to me.
1. It is getting harder these days for a man with only a secondary education to get a good job.
2. As long as the green hills last, there'll aways be wood to burn.
3. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, we will be more than happy to give your money back to you.
4. We are thankful for the beauty of this great land, which has welcomed so many to its shores across the years.
5. To the teacher's surprise, no one volunteered for the position of monitor. 让老师吃惊的是,没人自愿当班长.
6. The dog continued to wait for its master at the train station without fail until its own death two years later.
1. 他说话很自信，给我留下了很深的印象。He spoke confidently,which impressed me most.
2. 我父亲太爱忘事，总是在找钥匙。My father is so forgetful that he is always looking for his keys.
3. 我十分感激你给我的帮助。I'm very grateful to you for all the help you have given me.
4. 光线不足，加上地面潮湿，使得驾驶十分困难。(coupled with)
The bad light,coupled with the wet ground,made driving very difficult.
Being starved of funds,they had to cancel their plan to start a business.
6. 每当有了麻烦，他们总是依靠我们。(lean on)
They always lean on us whenever they are in trouble.
1. The plane may be several hours late, in which case there's no point in our waiting.
2. George so often told stories that were untrue that no one believed him when he told about the high grade he got in the exam. 乔治常常说谎,因此当他说他考试得了高分时没人相信他.
3. All was silent except for the small factory fairly close at hand, somewhere down by the crossroads.
4. People starved of sleep may find it difficult to focus their minds on what they are doing.
5. I arranged to pick up Mr. Clarke at the airport and take him to his hotel.
6. The tourists cried out of joy upon reaching the peak of the mountain.
unit 6 汉译英
1. 就像机器需要经常运转一样，身体也需要经常锻炼。(as... so...)
(Just) as a machine needs regular running, so does the body need regular exercise.
2. 在美国学习时，他学会了弹钢琴。He learned to play the piano while studying in the United States.
3. 令我们失望的是，他拒绝了我们的邀请。To our disappointment, he turned down our invitation.
4. 真实情况是，不管是好是坏，随着新科技的进步，世界发生了变化。(for better or worse)
The reality is that, for better or worse, the world has changed with advance of new technologies.
5. 我班里的大多数女生在被要求回答问题时都似乎感到不自在。(ill at ease)
Most of the female students in my class appear to be ill at ease when (they are) required to answer questions. 6. 当地政府负责运动会的安全。The local government took charge of the security for the sports meeting.
1. (Just) as table tennis is to the Chinese, so is football to Italians.
2. The teacher does not rush the class toward a decision at this point, but asks them to think very carefully before making up their minds. 教师没急着要班里同学现在作决定，而是要他们仔细考虑后再下决心。
3. I don't know what the drink was and I had that much; then the lads had to see me home because I was more or less drunk. 我不知道那是什么饮料，我喝了那么多；结果那些小伙子只能送我回家，因为我有点醉了。
4. Windy days are characteristic of March in the north of China. 在中国北方，三月份往往多风。
5. Even so, the government has approved a
6.2 percent increase in total spending.
6. Information, defined as knowledge conveyed to the mind by a statement of fact, can take many forms.
unit 7 汉译英
1. 在会上，除了其他事情，他们还讨论了目前的经济形势。(among other things)
At the meeting they discussed, among other things, the present economic situation.
2. 我对大自然了解得越多，就越痴迷于大自然的奥秘。(the more... the more...)
The more I learned about the nature, the more absorbed I became in its mystery.
3. 医生建议说，有压力的人要学会做一些新鲜有趣、富有挑战性的事情，好让自己的负面情绪有发泄的渠道。(recommend that... should...)
The doctor recommends that those stressed people should try something new, interesting and challenging in order to give their negative feelings an outlet.
4. 那个学生的成绩差，但老师给他布置了更多的作业，而不是减少作业量。(instead of; cut down)
The teacher gives more homework to the student who has bad grades instead of cutting it down.
5. 相比之下，美国的父母更趋向于把孩子的成功归因于天赋。(attribute to)
By contrast, American parents are more likely to attribute their children's success to natural talent.
6. 教师首先要考虑的事情之一是唤起学生的兴趣，激发他们的创造性。(priority; stimulate)
One of a teacher's priorities is to stimulate students' interests and their creativity.
1. His research is concerned, among other things, with the battle against AIDS in the developing countries.
2. These people are made aware that the better the service is, the more they will earn.
3. Although her father seemed anxious and worried, Susan did not perceive any change in his looks or ways.
4. The amount of financial aid offered has become more central to students' decisions about which school to attend. 能获得多少经济资助已成为学生选择上哪所学校的更重要的因素。
5. She's already cut down on going out and buying clothes, but she doesn't have enough money to start paying off the debt. 她已经减少了外出和买衣服的花费，但她还是没钱开始还债。
6. One of the keys to controlling stress is to realize that there are many things in our life over which we have no
unit 8 汉译英
1. 她一点儿也不知道这幅画有一天居然会价值100 多万美金。（Use "little" at the beginning of the sentence）Suggested answer: Little did she know that this picture would one day be worth more than a million dollars.
2. 虽然我理解你说的话，但是我不同意你在这个问题上的看法。(Use "while" in the sense of "although") While I understand what you say, I don't agree with you on the issue.
3. 我认为警察的职责就是保护人民。(be meant to do sth.)
I think the police are meant to protect people.
4. 昨天我去看他，却发现他已于几天前出国了。(only to do sth.)
I went to see him yesterday, only to find that he had gone abroad several days before.
5. 在每周例会上，每个人的发言都不能偏离会议议题。(confine to)
At the weekly meeting, everyone must confine their remarks to the subject.
6. 要是我没说那些愚蠢的话该多好! 那时我太年轻，不能明辨是非。(if only; distinguish right from wrong) If only I hadn't said those silly words! I was too young then to distinguish right from wrong.
1. Little did I think five years ago that I would be sitting here today studying English with so many students coming from all over the world.
2. While this position offers you honor and power, it imposes on you a great responsibility.
3. In the long run the race between food production and population growth remains too hard to solve easily.
4.Sometimes we find ourselves climbing the ladder of success, only to find that the ladder is leaning against the wrong wall. 有时我们发现，自己爬上了成功的阶梯，却发现阶梯靠在错误的墙壁上。
5. The new program is meant to put young people on a fast track to management careers.
6. The ambitious young man wanted very much to achieve something to make his parents proud of him.
I am sure that I will make something of myself, even though I have not achieved any major success so far.
I have been working hard for so many years; I feel I am entitled to a good future.
3. 当她丈夫离她而去，只留给她生活的残局去收拾时，她的心智失常了。(pick up the pieces)
When her husband deserted her, leaving her with nothing but scattered pieces of life to pick up, she went insane.
From my standpoint, Mother was too hard on me, without taking my feelings into account.
When I reached the summit of my professional career, mother’s words “Never be a quitter in face of life” were constantly in my mind.
You should know better than to play football in the street.
1. James is an honest man; I say it, even if I have opposed him.
2. The larger the organization is, the more difficult for a decision to be made there. 组织越庞大，越难做出决定。
3. Only a real hero can remain calm in face of dangers. 是真英雄方能临危不惧。
4. This ticket entitles the bearer to free entry. 持有该票者能免费入场。
5. He is the first man in England to be working consciously at prose and to be making something of it.
6. Having been unemployed for half a year, she signed up for cooking classes in hope of finding a job as soon as possible. 失业半年后，她报名参加了烹饪班，希望能尽快找到工作。
1. 整个事情我记得清清楚楚，就好像是昨天发生的一样。(Use "as though" and the subjunctive mood.)
I remember the whole thing clearly as though it had happened yesterday.
Whichever of them writes the best essay will win the prize.
It turned out that the budget provided for a salary increase one year later.
She did the same job day after day and year after year, but she never complained.
She endured all kinds of hardships on the journey; nothing could keep her from finding her lost daughter.
Don't get mixed up with that gang. They have committed many bad things in broad daylight.
1. Residents rushed to buy bottled water as though there might be a lack of drinking water in the next few days.
2. Learning to relax by whichever method suits you best is a positive way of improving your health.
3. In the battle, the handful of soldiers fought bravely against the enemies and died heroic deaths.
在战役中, 为数不多的战士们英勇抗敌, 壮烈牺牲。
4. For more than four hours they battled to bring the fire under control and stop dangerous flames from spreading across the small town. 他们奋战了4个多小时才将大火控制住, 避免了危险的火势蔓延到整个小镇。
5. He tells her she will always have a friend to turn to, no matter what trouble she may come across.
6. The bank could make loans to some small companies to keep them from failing.